PDA

View Full Version : I know most folks on here don't really care much about other Oklahoma FB teams...

Okla-homey
5/1/2008, 10:22 PM
But I gotta share this.

Last December, I watched the greatest QB in the long and pretty dang impressive history of TU football get his masters degree.

I meant to ask Paul Smith to sign this mini-helmet I got back then, but I didn't get around to it because I was busy and he had NFL try-outs and combines and what not to tend to.

Anyhoo, I sent him a peem and asked him if he was still in town and if so, if he'd sign it for me. The kid took the time to call me and we set it up for tomorrow afternoon. Mind you, he's in the middle of moving out of the apartment he shares with his wife who is graduating from TU next Saturday as they're headed for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I know this ain't big time college football up here, but I'm still impressed he's taking some time out his day to make an old broke down fellow TU alum happy. I'm also happy to see a genuinely nice Okie kid do good.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9496/spopplsmithpaul1007kc2.jpg

So here's to you guys Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Have a ball in Jacksonville and make Oklahoma proud.

MojoRisen
5/1/2008, 11:32 PM
I heard from very viable sources that Gus Ferotte showed up to spring all out of shape with a beer gut and told coach I guess we aren't running the option this year.

True story- and Good For Paul Smith

Widescreen
5/1/2008, 11:55 PM
TJ Rubley is the best TU QB I've ever seen play in person. Although Paul Smith is really good and I'm proud of him. Kid's a gamer.

Sooner_Havok
5/2/2008, 12:01 AM
I hope nothing but the best for the kid. Being a backup pays pretty darn well in the NFL, and can be a great pathway into becoming a head coach.

OUbones
5/2/2008, 12:50 AM
Paul,

I wish you nothing but success, you can flat out play!!! Should have been the 5th player out of the state to be drafted. Hell of a pick up by Jacksonville.

goingoneight
5/2/2008, 01:17 AM
He is a pretty kewl dood. I always enjoyed watching him play. Honestly, I was shocked at how well OU handled him last September... living proof that OU's defense is good when it's up to the task of a great offense.

SoonerTerry
5/2/2008, 06:20 AM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9496/spopplsmithpaul1007kc2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/ticopelp/dimfuture/mrmom36.jpg

Mjcpr
5/2/2008, 08:48 AM
You seent him a PEEM where?

MojoRisen
5/2/2008, 09:31 AM
TJ Rubley is the best TU QB I've ever seen play in person. Although Paul Smith is really good and I'm proud of him. Kid's a gamer.

I saw his first game against Oklahoma St, I think he threw for 350 yeards and people were like who in the hell is TJ Rubley... Steve Gage was a competitor

soonerbrat
5/2/2008, 09:33 AM
there are other teams in oklahoma?

Okla-homey
5/2/2008, 11:24 AM
He is a pretty kewl dood. I always enjoyed watching him play. Honestly, I was shocked at how well OU handled him last September... living proof that OU's defense is good when it's up to the task of a great offense.

You are correct sir. I will say this, but for AD's explosive run in the second half the last time the two met in Norman, it very likely could have resulted in a W for TU under the arm and legs of Paul Smith.

He also skippered the team that set an NCAA record for the most lopsided win in post-season bowl history last winter. It was his 14th consecutive 300-yard passing game as TU cruised to a 63-7 romp over Bowling Green.

Conference USA’s Player of the Year after starting all 13 games at quarterback for Tulsa. Completed 300 of 499 passes for 4,753 yards with 42 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. He averaged 365.6 yards per game and rushed for 12 touchdowns on 96 carries.

soonerinabilene
5/2/2008, 11:45 AM
I remember the first time I saw him play against us in 05 after the TCU loss, and being really scared that he was going to hand us a second straight loss. I remarked to my cousin after that game that the way he carried himself on the field as far as his demeanor and intelligence reminded me a lot of Josh Heupel.

5/2/2008, 11:59 AM
Cool. Best of luck to him in the bigs.

StoopTroup
5/2/2008, 12:03 PM
No doubt Homey....

I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about Paul.

I bet he gets the hang of things quick and becomes one of those sleeper NFL QBs that suddenly have him taking them into the playoffs.

Good Luck Paul.

Widescreen
5/2/2008, 02:18 PM
...the way he carried himself on the field as far as his demeanor and intelligence reminded me a lot of Josh Heupel.

Yup. I had the same thought. And that's pretty high praise.

goingoneight
5/2/2008, 09:59 PM
Shame we didn't get him instead of Rhomar. :P

Oh well... PT and Sammy turned out aiight... ;)