PDA

View Full Version : WEATHER ALERT

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 06:52 PM
Holy crap! All you people in Tornado Alley (Moore to Midwest City) take the weather weenies seriously. That is a nasty, nasty, nasty looking storm. I will be shocked if it doesn't drop a 'nader.

EDIT: It looks even more serious on TV than it does in person. That is the real deal.

reevie
5/1/2008, 06:58 PM
No 'nadars went through here.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:19 PM
Dear Mike Morgan,

"Gate to gate shear" is something else altogether. You meant "radial to radial shear". F'in geography majors.

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2008, 07:23 PM
Deer David Payne,

calm.

down.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:26 PM
Deer David Payne,

calm.

down.

No ****. And if the funnel is "right over [your] head", get the hell somewhere else.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:27 PM
We have a new phrase for the Gary England Drinking Game: "On a scale of 1 to 10...."

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
Rick Mitchell just said they had the biggest radar.

Newbomb Turk
It looks like this thing is gonna produce a tornado, but David Payne wears me out.

KC//CRIMSON
5/1/2008, 07:28 PM
Rus is in the fetal position as we speak.

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2008, 07:28 PM
We have a new phrase for the Gary England Drinking Game: "On a scale of 1 to 10...."

I liked that one too.

I shall drink to this. :D

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:29 PM
Rick Mitchell just said they had the biggest radar.

I don't think KOCO even has their own radar. They just use the NWS feeds.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/1/2008, 07:29 PM
I bet people are calling KOCO going ape**** since it is Lost night.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:30 PM
I liked that one too.

I shall drink to this. :D

Did you notice that every now and then it's only a scale of 1 to 5? Make up your mind!

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2008, 07:32 PM
"A tornado 100 yards from us..."

really?!

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:34 PM
"A tornado 100 yards from us..."

really?!

I swear this must be David Payne's first storm chase, but I'm pretty sure it's not. Seriously dude, GET SOMEWHERE ELSE.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:35 PM
Tornado outbreak? Really, Mike Morgan? Really? One tornado does not an outbreak make.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/1/2008, 07:35 PM
I guess they've all forgotten May 3. This one's nothing.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:37 PM
Oklahoma: Where "tornado" is a verb.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2008, 07:37 PM
WE LOST VAL!!!!

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:39 PM
WE LOST VAL!!!!

DRINK!

soonerbrat
5/1/2008, 07:40 PM
i'm not allowed to drink alcohol for a few more weeks :(

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:46 PM
I don't think KOCO even has their own radar. They just use the NWS feeds.

I was wrong. They do have their own radar.

With technology that provides information nine times faster than any other radar, Advantage Doppler HD is faster than the National Weather Service's radar and has the accuracy you depend on to keep your family safe. This highly advanced instrument lets Eyewitness News 5's meteorologists give you the reassurance of an instant, live look at developing weather with the added advantage of being able to zoom directly into your neighborhood at any time.

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2008, 07:47 PM
I think at the rate storms move, most weather radars are fast enough.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2008, 07:53 PM
Gary England Drinking Game
By Canada and Moose

Pregame
1. Everyone selects a storm chaser other than Val Caster. Every time Gary talks to your storm chaser, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your storm chaser. Take four drinks if your storm chaser says "tornado on the ground."

2. Everyone selects a county other than Pottawatomie County. Every time Gary mentions your county, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your county. Take four drinks if a tornado touches down in your county.

One drink
1. Take one drink every time Gary says the following:
"Hook echo" | "Updraft" | "Metro" | "Doppler radar" | "Wall cloud" | "Ranger 9" | "Underground" | "Mobile home"

2. When Gary gives a list of counties, take one drink for every county in the list.

3. Take one drink every time Gary interrupts a program. Take one drink if Gary says "You're not missing any of [program name]." Take one drink when Gary says "We'll keep you advised."

Two drinks
1. Take two drinks every time Gary says the following:
"Baseball-sized hail" | "Waterloo Road" | "Pottawatomie County" | "Deer Creek High School"

2. Take two drinks every time Gary mentions the following towns:
Altus | Burns Flat | Dill City | Gotebo | Hydro | Lookeba | Meeker | Mulhall | Oktaha | Olustee | Shattuck | Slaughterville | Tryon | Vici | Waukomis | Wayne (or Payne) | Weleetka | Wetumkah

3. Take two drinks every time Gary talks to Val Caster.

Three drinks
1. Take three drinks if we see footage from Val Caster.

2. Take three drinks if we see footage from Pottawatomie County.

3. Take three drinks if Gary mentions the following:
"Immediate tornado precautions" | "National Weather Service" | "Mesocyclone" | "Portable Radio" | "Take shelter" | "Tornado warning in effect until …"

Four drinks
1. Take four drinks if Ranger 9 must land to refuel.

2. Take four drinks if Gary issues his own tornado warning, not recognized by the NWS or says the following:
"Will someone please answer that phone?" | "Do you see power flashes?"

3. Take four drinks if a shirt-less tornado victim is interviewed.

Finish your drink
1. Finish your drink if someone uses the word tornado as a verb or if Gary mentions the nearest cross streets to you.

2. If Gary says "We've lost Val," pour a little out for your homies and finish your drink.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 07:53 PM
I think at the rate storms move, most weather radars are fast enough.

Not really. It's not about how fast they move, but how fast they develop. It takes the NWS radar (NEXRAD) about six minutes to do a full volume scan. A lot can change in that amount of time. A tornado (like the one in eastern Oklahoma county tonight) could be there and gone by then. The TV guys are concerned with a much smaller geographic area, so they can get away with faster scan rates. There's a lot of hyperbole, but the TV radars are actually useful.

The next big thing in NWS radar is going to be phased array (based on the Navy's AEGIS radar system) that will be able to do a volume scan instaneously without sacrificing range.

soonerhubs
5/1/2008, 07:57 PM
Okay Fellow Stoolwater peeps... You okay?

I was taking my final final when a huge Thunder Boom shook the building.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2008, 07:58 PM
Heh...the way Gary wants you all to dress during a tornado...you'll look like the biggest bunch of **gs on earth!

Newbomb Turk
5/1/2008, 08:01 PM
Not really. It's not about how fast they move, but how fast they develop. It takes the NWS radar (NEXRAD) about six minutes to do a full volume scan.

does the NEXRAD radar go into "hazardous mode"? ie - just scan a particular storm without doing a full rotation.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 08:04 PM
does the NEXRAD radar go into "hazardous mode"? ie - just scan a particular storm without doing a full rotation.

No. If you do that you might miss a developing storm somewhere else. The NWS guys have a different mission than the TV guys.

r5TPsooner
5/1/2008, 08:06 PM
Did I miss anything?

Newbomb Turk
Did I miss anything?

a few drinks.

SteelClip49
freakin emergency alert system crap......it's obvious, no need for the reminders every 5 minutes....reason why the damn meteorologists are on.

r5TPsooner
5/1/2008, 08:10 PM
My weather radio has been going ape **** for the last 1-2 hours. I look outside and it's sunny with some windage.

Anyhow, naders only come my way when I'm in bed.

BudSooner
5/1/2008, 08:57 PM
Holy ****, I just got home...dudes there was this GINORMOUS *** wall cloud looking piece of **** hanging over the creek turnpike.

I would produce phone pics but i've yet to take anything worth a damn...****ing blurry images.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2008, 08:59 PM
Effing Cox keeps coming up with this stupid **** message EVERY 10 minutes...and it expired at 8:28! ****ERS!

BudSooner
5/1/2008, 09:13 PM
Effing Cox keeps coming up with this stupid **** message EVERY 10 minutes...and it expired at 8:28! ****ERS!

Why do you hate my employer?:D

Seriously, would it be better had it been "Effing Dish Network/Directv cannot produce local weather alerts, we were almost killed er worse"

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2008, 09:14 PM
Is it too hard for them to make it turn off after the threat has passed...especially 30 minutes after the warning EXPIRED!?!?!?

BudSooner
5/1/2008, 09:18 PM
Is it too hard for them to make it turn off after the threat has passed...especially 30 minutes after the warning EXPIRED!?!?!?

Meh, people would probably get pizzed if we didn't alert all you hillbillies about the bad stuff coming yer way.
I'll pass it along.

"Dear Mr Bialis,
SSC asks that you please discontinue your use of the alert system once it has passed his house.

Sincerely yours,
George W Bush"

Tulsa_Fireman
5/1/2008, 10:01 PM
Dave Bialis is a tool.