PDA

View Full Version : Thought this might bring a smile to some faces

Melo
5/1/2008, 03:58 PM
A soldier came into the restaurant today, in uniform, with his wife, and they were extremely nice. I gave them the comp on their meal for being military, and noticed a man come up to the register just as I was telling the soldier that his ticket would be $17.00 and some change. The man who had come up to the register just smiled, handed me a $20, and told me, 'Our soldiers' meal is already paid for.' The soldier and his wife were trying to refuse, but the other man just said, 'I'm a former Marine. Thank you for what you do.' and walked away.

It was the nicest thing I have seen this entire week, made me smile, put me in a fantastic mood, etc. Just wanted to share with yall, I know some of you like those kinds of stories.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2008, 04:00 PM
Jeez...where are those guys when I'm at Picasso in Vegas? ;)

bri
5/1/2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe we can all pitch in and buy you a cheeseburger to thank you for all you do to keep America safe from rain.

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 04:12 PM
A soldier came into the restaurant today, in uniform, with his wife, and they were extremely nice. I gave them the comp on their meal for being military, and noticed a man come up to the register just as I was telling the soldier that his ticket would be $17.00 and some change. The man who had come up to the register just smiled, handed me a $20, and told me, 'Our soldiers' meal is already paid for.' The soldier and his wife were trying to refuse, but the other man just said, 'I'm a former Marine. Thank you for what you do.' and walked away.

Since you had already comped the meal anyway, did you pocket the $20?

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2008, 04:16 PM
Jeez...where are those guys when I'm at Picasso in Vegas? ;)

Don't you already get an AARP discount?

Rogue
5/1/2008, 04:25 PM
:les: Once a Marine...Always a Marine!

Great story, Melo.

Melo
5/1/2008, 04:29 PM

It doesnt comp ALL of the meal, unfortunately. But it takes off a decent portion.

Different story completely, but there was about $7.00 left over, the soldier told us to keep it, and the shift leader walked up, pocketed $5 and gave me $2.

5/1/2008, 04:45 PM
How very thoughtful of the shift leader.

TUSooner
5/1/2008, 04:51 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen....
The S.O. at its finest!
:rolleyes:
:D

mdklatt
5/1/2008, 05:08 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen....
The S.O. at its finest!
:rolleyes:
:D

Like none of you were wondering the same thing. Pfft!

SoonerInKCMO
5/1/2008, 05:29 PM
Not me - I was just thinking she didn't know what 'comp' means. ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/1/2008, 05:30 PM
ditto :D

Harry Beanbag
5/1/2008, 05:34 PM

Not really since she said their bill was $17. :)

GottaHavePride
5/1/2008, 08:33 PM
Heh. Comp means complimentary, or free. If their bill was still $17 then they got a discount. Probably 50%, but still.

Melo
5/1/2008, 09:19 PM
The soldiers meal was comped.
The chick had to pay

Keep up, n00bz

Sooner24
5/1/2008, 09:27 PM
I did the same thing for a soldier at DFW last year when my wife and I were eating at TGI Fridays. I told our waitress I had his and not to tell him who picked up his check. When he got through eating I saw her talking to him and she just shook her head when he ask who it was. He looked around smiling and left. She came over when he left and said he got choked up when she told him someone had paid for his.

goingoneight
5/2/2008, 12:36 AM
Not that I'm tooting my own horn or anything, but I'm happy to do this whenever I can. Sometimes you have to do more than putting a little "Support Our Troops" magnet on your car to show your support, IMHO.

OUbones
5/2/2008, 01:01 AM
Not that I'm tooting my own horn or anything, but I'm happy to do this whenever I can. Sometimes you have to do more than putting a little "Support Our Troops" magnet on your car to show your support, IMHO.

Exactly, most of my friends in the service think the magnets are a joke.

SouthFortySooner
5/2/2008, 02:25 AM
Maybe we can all pitch in and buy you a cheeseburger to thank you for all you do to keep America safe from rain.

Are you trying to felch the idea Melo isn't honorable for helping out this soldier?

Frozen Sooner
5/2/2008, 03:00 AM
Are you trying to felch the idea Melo isn't honorable for helping out this soldier?
Bri's comment was directed at SoonerStormchaser, not at Melo.

Felch? Seriously?

SouthFortySooner
5/2/2008, 09:40 AM
Stormchaser-rain. I get it now. I humbly apologize for my "drawing out" comment.

SoonerInKCMO
5/2/2008, 09:43 AM
The soldiers meal was comped.
The chick had to pay

Keep up, n00bz

Well, you did say their meal.

n00b. :texan:

5/2/2008, 09:47 AM
Did they have the chicken-fried bacon?