PDA

View Full Version : SB and Gresham are going to be rich!

Collier11
4/30/2008, 03:23 PM
Barring injury, I have seen Sb anywhere from the #6 pick next yr to at worst one of the top 5 qbs eligible for next yrs class

Gresham is #1 or #2 te in nearly all rankings

Duke and Phil are both top 5 at their position

English is #8 I believe at DE

Mccoy and Granger are both top 15 De with Mccoy being #5

Obviously preseason means little but it is good to see that we may have another good run with high picks the next yr or two

swardboy
4/30/2008, 03:46 PM
I think KN has been jacking up those mock drafts to entice SB to bail next year....

Collier11
4/30/2008, 03:47 PM
Sb stays healthy and has a similar year, he might want to go pro

RedstickSooner
4/30/2008, 04:02 PM
We haven't, of yet, had problems with QBs leaving early (aside from transfers).

Sure hope that streak continues with Bradford. I'm tired of losing every single junior with a pulse and a decent season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/30/2008, 04:09 PM
i can't think of many rs sophomore qbs that have went pro besides michael vick

Collier11
4/30/2008, 04:45 PM
i can't think of many rs sophomore qbs that have went pro besides michael vick

if the guy is a 1st rd pick, I hope he goes...it would be nice for OU to put a decent qb in the NFL finally

badger
4/30/2008, 04:47 PM
I could start a dup thread entitled "I'm going to be rich!" and remind everyone what Powerball is now :rolleyes:

Collier11
4/30/2008, 04:56 PM
I could start a dup thread entitled "I'm going to be rich!" and remind everyone what Powerball is now :rolleyes:

:bsmf:

Civicus_Sooner
4/30/2008, 05:07 PM
Anyone know what people think about SB's arm strength? I mean for the deep outs and whatnot, that the pro scouts seem to judge college QBs by?

soonerinabilene
4/30/2008, 05:08 PM
Phil will need to learn somethings to be a high pick, namely what a snap count is.

Collier11
4/30/2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone know what people think about SB's arm strength? I mean for the deep outs and whatnot, that the pro scouts seem to judge college QBs by?

From what I have read thus far he has adequate arm strength, not a cannon but NFL types see it is pretty good

Civicus_Sooner
4/30/2008, 05:38 PM
That's good, I was blown away when the NFL guys said Jason White didn't have a good arm, after seeing for 2 years that his deep ball was one of his best throws in college.

Scott D
4/30/2008, 06:06 PM
well how you throw a deep ball has as much to do with their assessment as the deep ball itself. Are you a QB that can make that one step forward and lean into the throw enough to maintain complete balance for that deep ball, or are you a QB that wings the ball and is semi-stumbling forward through the process of throwing it. JW threw a lot of lame ducks that the acrobatics of Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley and Brandon Jones made look a lot better than they really were.

JLEW1818
4/30/2008, 07:18 PM
I wish stoops could put the players under contract that they must stay for 4 years. hehe

r5TPsooner
4/30/2008, 08:03 PM
I think it's all bs until the day of the draft.

sooneron
4/30/2008, 09:16 PM
I think SB will need to mature more and really take this team as his for the draftniks to put him in the first half of next year's draft. I hope he has a great season, but we are starting to sound like whornfans salivating about a kid after one season. I'd bet they had the same thread about Colt after 06.

Collier11
4/30/2008, 09:50 PM
I think SB will need to mature more and really take this team as his for the draftniks to put him in the first half of next year's draft. I hope he has a great season, but we are starting to sound like whornfans salivating about a kid after one season. I'd bet they had the same thread about Colt after 06.

Im not salivating at anything other than the fact that it looks like OU is putting out top rate athletes again after a few year absence. It is all the so-called experts saying SB will be a good pro

goingoneight
4/30/2008, 09:59 PM
Much of that is due to OUr star players being draft ineligible guys in recent years (not old enough to leave yet).

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 06:08 AM
well mock drafts, especially a year in advance, are usually filled with the flavors of the season from the previous one...I m not gonna go back into the whole conversation we had about SB in the other thread, but he has a way to go before being a 1st round QB.

One thing going for him is there is no franchise quarterbacks, until players declare early, in next year's draft.

After JW's first big season, There was mock drafts that had him going top 15.

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 07:56 AM
I said this is another thread and I believe it still holds true. Bradford came a long way from freshman to r-freshman and he knows what he needs to improve on. He'll come a long way between last year and now. Last time I checked he was one of the best QB's in college football and that's were the NFL gets its players. I know he doesn't have all the tools right now to be an NFL QB but nobody thought Brady would be either. If Bradford does decide to go pro next year after having a good year then who could blame him. Most college QB's only have to productive seasons and then leave. If he could get behind a Peyton Manning or even Tom Brady and sit back and learn the NFL game he'll make a good pro.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 08:11 AM
Colt McCoy was one of the best qb's last year..Jason White was the BEST college qb one season arguably one of the best the next...lets not say it was just due to injuries that he didnt make it....shall we go thru the list of college qb's who had great seasons that didnt translate well into the next level?

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 08:25 AM
Did you miss what I said right after that. He does have the work ethic and the intelligence to get there. You are going by what I said in one sentence. Colt McCoy wasn't that good last year.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 09:23 AM
my bad, it wasnt last year..

Did Colt McCoy have a bad year because he doesnt work hard or isnt smart enough?

My gosh, Matt Cassell was drafted by the Patriots after throwing 14 passes in college. Why? Because he was 6'5, had a pin tight release, and could throw the ball 30 yards eye level on a dime.

AP went from being projected a late first/early 2nd day pick in mock drafts A YEAR ago to being a 7th round? Was it because he didnt work hard or wasnt smart enough? Rufus Alexander was a B12 POY on defense and he didnt go til the 7th. He played a lot of football at OU, considered to be one of the best LBs at OU, and he went that late, where Clint Ingram who was not nearly as talked about as RA went in the 3rd round. Nothing to do with working harder or intelligence but CI game fits better in the NFL than RA.

DJ wolfe after his first season on D was pre season All big 12 for the next year and was being mocked as a early entry into the last 1st/early second round? By the middle of the next season he was sitting on the bench and ended up an UDFA even though he improved a lot from that first year.

Tom Brady was drafted low but he possessed a textbook release and plenty of zip on his passes. Tom Brady didnt throw off his back foot.

Look, I ve never sat in a draft room before the big event, but I ve spent enough time with guys who work for the teams that get paid to go out and scout and I ve been paid(not much) by an outside company to do the same. And I can tell you there is not a team out there that will project him any higher than a mid (and thats giving him the benefit of the doubt) to a FA, depending on what other qbs are out there and team needs.

I m assuming the first part of your post is a question and not a statement, so no I didnt miss it.

You people are turning me into BRJ.

BillyBall
5/1/2008, 09:33 AM
Colt McCoy's line was terrible last year in comparison to his freshman year, thus he had a rough season.

Fixed.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 09:38 AM
Just to let you know how quickly things change, here is McShay's top 10 after at this same point last season heading into this one and where they were picked:

1. Louisville QB Brian Brohm (Packers, second round)
2. USC OT Sam Baker (Falcons, late first round)
3. LSU DT Glenn Dorsey (Chiefs, first round)
4. Michigan OT Jake Long (Dolphins, first round)
5. LSU WR Early Doucet (Cardinals, third round)
6. Georgia CB Paul Oliver (not picked)
7. Kentucky QB Andre Woodson (Giants, sixth round)
8. Texas WR Limas Sweed (Steelers, second round)
9. Michigan QB Chad Henne (Dolphins, second round)
10. Texas DT Frank Okam (Texans, fifth round)

primetime43
5/1/2008, 10:19 AM
A few days ago Kiper was doing a segment on sportscenter and he said watch for Jermaine Gresham. If he decides to come out he could be a top ten pick in the 09 draft. He compared him to Antonio Gates.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 10:35 AM
Gresham, barring injury, has a great chance IMO. Great size, agility for a big man and does a pretty good job of freeing himself up off the line..

Mjcpr
5/1/2008, 10:42 AM
We were told by those in the know that he was lazy and couldn't/wouldn't block when he verballed to OU so you better check with your draft gurus again.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 10:43 AM
He s really 5'6 250 not 6'6 250..hopefully he continues to wear those stilt shoes

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 10:44 AM
Sb stays healthy and has a similar year, he might want to go pro

I think SB is too much of a fan of OU to leave early. But anything is possible.

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 11:08 AM
I thought I was clear when I made the statement the SB doesn't have all the tools right now and that if he could sit behind a Brady or a Manning and learn they NFL game he could make a good pro. He was one of the best QB's in college because of intelligence and accuracy and that does translate at the next level. I don't recall ever saying that SB would be a 1st round pick. Obviously he wouldn't be a 1st round pick if he's sitting behind Brady or Manning.

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 11:14 AM
I thought I was clear when I made the statement the SB doesn't have all the tools right now and that if he could sit behind a Brady or a Manning and learn they NFL game he could make a good pro. He was one of the best QB's in college because of intelligence and accuracy and that does translate at the next level. I don't recall ever saying that SB would be a 1st round pick. Obviously he wouldn't be a 1st round pick if he's sitting behind Brady or Manning.

He was also one of the best in CFB last year because of the talent surrounding him.

Bradford will become one of OUs best in history, but he is far from it. I agree, he doesn't have the tools right now. But before he leaves OU, he will. That, and combined with my previous statement, is the reason he will not be leaving after this season, no matter what he does in 2008.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 11:18 AM
I don't recall ever saying that SB would be a 1st round pick.

I think when he decides to go he'll be a 1st round pick barring Jason White injuries.

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 11:23 AM
I was wrong. I apologize.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 11:31 AM
SF 28 I gave you more green today like I did the other day after our conversation...Nothing personal..I hope you can dig this all up in a few years and dish out some "I told ya so's" to me after SB makes it in..I do think he can be a serviceable backup in the league if anything and you have talked about him backing someone up for a few years as well...I think we can agree on that part of it

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 11:35 AM
Yea. Maybe we can see what happens this year and go from there. Good player with strong work ethic, but maybe not the tools. Maybe that will come with time. Maybe not. I'll say at least a backup role.

Collier11
5/1/2008, 12:03 PM
The thing that SB and any other good qbs have going for them right now is that there arent that many great NFL qbs

Scott D
5/1/2008, 12:10 PM
not every NFL offense lends itself to needing a great quarterback. Just look at Carolina.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 12:11 PM
You ve got that right...The one thing that keeps going through my mind in this whole discussion is Rex Grossman. How in the world do you draft that guy first round?

Mjcpr
5/1/2008, 01:36 PM
We were told by those in the know that he was lazy and couldn't/wouldn't block when he verballed to OU so you better check with your draft gurus again.

For the record:

This was tongue in cheek and those descriptons of Gresham when he verballed/signed with OU were not mine but those of other posters. In fact, I believed that he would be a great player for us.

Carry on. :D

soonersn20xx
5/1/2008, 02:10 PM
Listen guys, as far as I can tell........SB is still looking to the sidelines for defensive sets and locks onto receivers. If I can see it, so can the pro scouts...........this young man still has alot to learn.

Scott D
5/1/2008, 02:18 PM
You ve got that right...The one thing that keeps going through my mind in this whole discussion is Rex Grossman. How in the world do you draft that guy first round?

Grossman has one of the stronger arms in the NFL. Unfortunately between injuries and what appears to having a brain slightly more intelligent than Vincent Young's he's struggled with playing at the NFL level.

He's one of the reasons that scouts don't even give a second look to a Spurrier QB anymore.

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 02:23 PM
Listen guys, as far as I can tell........SB is still looking to the sidelines for defensive sets and locks onto receivers. If I can see it, so can the pro scouts...........this young man still has alot to learn.

You make a great point. I think they talked about that in the spring and he'll have more on his shoulders this year with making more decisions on the field.

Collier11
5/1/2008, 02:48 PM

You guys have no ability to rationalize the statement, I never said he was ready to be a top 10 pick, that he has no room for improvement. What is being said is that based off of his RS Fresh yr, his physical tools, etc... NFL Scouts see him as a "potential top pick", that obviously means he must avoid a big injury, continue to improve, get stronger, make better reads. But as good as he was in his 2nd yr of college and 1st yr playing, Pro Scouts see a lot of potential for this guys future. We all know this is based off of speculation about whether he would even turn pro, and if he continues to improve. Im just talking about What they see based off of right now!

Its like a generic statement on here turns to I said SB was ready to lead a team to the Super Bowl

Mjcpr
5/1/2008, 02:52 PM
You guys have no ability to rationalize the statement, I never said he was ready to be a top 10 pick, that he has no room for improvement. What is being said is that based off of his RS Fresh yr, his physical tools, etc... NFL Scouts see him as a "potential top pick", that obviously means he must avoid a big injury, continue to improve, get stronger, make better reads. But as good as he was in his 2nd yr of college and 1st yr playing, Pro Scouts see a lot of potential for this guys future. We all know this is based off of speculation about whether he would even turn pro, and if he continues to improve. Im just talking about What they see based off of right now!

Its like a generic statement on here turns to I said SB was ready to lead a team to the Super Bowl

There is no way he is ready to lead team to the Super Bowl.

Collier11
5/1/2008, 02:54 PM
There is no way he is ready to lead team to the Super Bowl.

:eek: :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 06:30 PM

Nothing I posted had anything to do with your statement really as it was more a continuing of a conversation in a previous thread about the same subject..

BTW, these mock drafts are not from pro scouts, they come from writers who get paid to speculate...as we get closer to next years draft, the pro guys will start dropping some hints to some of these writers and letting them know which way things are probably gonna go

Collier11
5/1/2008, 06:34 PM
I realize that, I spoke of the scouts saying he had a potential to be a high pick and a strong enough arm, The mock drafts are obviously writers opinions and cant be trusted too much

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 06:53 PM
I know you do...My bad big man...Just making sure you know I wasn't arguing your post...

Anyway, I shot 3 emails to 3 different scouts and I soon as I get one back, I ll copy it here with their permission..

On the Grossman issue, I realize he has a strong arm but not too many teams go for a 6' QB in the first round regardless..Obviously not a good pick for them

I've also heard that right now, Matt Stafford from Georgia is the top QB prospect for next season...Maybe SB should go next season after all:D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 06:55 PM
BTW just to let you know how crazy these mocks are:

I saw one with Crabtree going#1
I saw one with Nic Harris going 5
one with SB going 5 and one going 9 to chicago
Almost 90 percent of them have Loadholt and Duke in the 1st

Collier11
5/1/2008, 10:36 PM
BTW just to let you know how crazy these mocks are:

I saw one with Crabtree going#1
I saw one with Nic Harris going 5
one with SB going 5 and one going 9 to chicago
Almost 90 percent of them have Loadholt and Duke in the 1st

I saw the one with Nic Harris, that shows the validity of some of these...he will be a decently high pick though...I just want to win another Natl Title Damnit!

stoops the eternal pimp
5/1/2008, 11:53 PM
Yup...and the last one was won with a bunch of guys who didnt quite make it at the next level cept for TRRW

stoops the eternal pimp
5/2/2008, 08:43 AM
No responses from any scouts but I contacted an analyst friend and this is how he responded:

I noticed he's getting some love from other analysts too. Honestly I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment. I did see that NFLDraftScout.com has him listed as the #1 QB prospect for the class of 2011. He did have a pretty nice year in 2007, and with the O-line coming back, he'll get plenty of time to make the throws (to some decent receivers) in 2008 as well. And if DeMarco Murray is healthy and taking pressure of the QB too, then Bradford is going to be very productive, and he definitely has NFL size. I doubt any analyst has spent much time breaking his game down at this point and are going purely off of numbers. Since he will be draft eligible next year, I'm sure he will be more thoroughly examined this next season and I can give you a better idea.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/2/2008, 12:49 PM
last one from another analyst:

Yeah I agree about the mechanics. His delivery is awful. He reminds me of Omar Jacobs' throwing motion.... just painful to watch. Seems to have everything else going for him, especially age. I think when he does come out though, the hype will end up just being hype and he will not be the elite QB some might make him out to be. His age and stats are going well for him, but at one point that was true of Brian Brohm, Omar Jacobs etc...

Collier11
5/2/2008, 01:04 PM
Well, Brohm was still a 2nd rd pick so if the guy can continue to get better, he can still make a ton of $$$$

stoops the eternal pimp
5/2/2008, 01:08 PM
Make a NFL team, your making pretty good money..Practice squad players are paid a minimum of $4,700 per week,

soonerfan28
5/2/2008, 02:44 PM
Anybody think that Gresham will be back in 2009?

Collier11
5/2/2008, 02:46 PM
If he improves on last yr, he is as good as gone IMHO

soonerfan28
5/2/2008, 02:48 PM
I hear a lot of complaints about blocking. Does anyone see that as an issue?

Collier11
5/2/2008, 02:50 PM
I may be wrong but that is why we had Eldridge and JJF in there with him alot, so he could be more of a receiver/te, He reminds me alot of Antonio Gates, does anyone have any insight about his blocking cus I really dont know

soonerfan28
5/2/2008, 02:52 PM
I agree with the Gates comparison. What's his 40 like.

Collier11
5/2/2008, 02:56 PM
I agree with the Gates comparison. What's his 40 like.

I hear 4.55-4.6 but we all know how OU 40 times have been lately

stoops the eternal pimp
5/2/2008, 03:08 PM
barring injury or Chuck Long coming back, he will probably be gone

soonerinabilene
5/2/2008, 03:11 PM
barring injury or Chuck Long coming back, he will probably be gone

You just gave NickZepp a chubby with that thought.

Collier11
5/3/2008, 05:34 PM
You just gave NickZepp a chubby with that thought.

he was already pretty chubby