PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Schedule

JLEW1818
4/30/2008, 12:08 PM
I see that Georgia and USC schedules are no cake walks... Anybody see anymore ?

badger
4/30/2008, 03:36 PM
You can usually find the hardest schedules with teams that are terrible that play games with big boys to make money, teams that have good resort desinations and teams that are just insane for attention.

As such, first the resort destination schools:
Hawaii: @ Florida Gators, @ Oregon State, Washington State and Cincinnati

Then, the schools out to make money off large school or tough football opponents:
San Jose State: @ Nebraska, @ Stanford, @ Hawaii, @ Boise State, @ Nevada

Then, the attention seekers:
Notre Dame: Michigan, @ Michigan State, @ Washington, @ USC

Now, if we were to include conference and non-conference, the doozy schedule might belong to Washinton:

UW: at Oregon, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, at USC, Arizona State, UCLA, at Cal.

I would just like to say "I send my condolences." To Coach Tyrone Willingham, for him eminent firing after such a schedule. To Washington, for eminent backlash from the BCA for firing Tyrone. To minority coaches everywhere, when there is one less minority head coach in college football. To the BCA, when they realize no progress is really being made. To Washington's opponents, who will not have a better SoS after facing a losing record team like UW. To Sooner fans making the Washington trip, who will have their party boats rammed and sunk by frustrated Washington fan party boats after a blowout Sooner victory.

;)

Collier11
4/30/2008, 03:42 PM
Colorado is going to get railed!

Colorado st
E. Wash
West Virg
@Florida St
Texas
@Kansas
K.st
@Mizzou
@A&M
ISU
Osu
@Neb

They will be lucky to start 3-6 or 4-5 barring drastic improvement

badger
4/30/2008, 04:18 PM

Obligatory "It's division one football! It's the Big 12!" comment here :D

I suggest they...

1- Go play intramurals, brother.
2- Fake an injury to get more than two weeks of vacation, more than you guys get
3- MARSHMALLOW FIGHT!

Civicus_Sooner
4/30/2008, 05:36 PM
I like CU's philosophy and think Hawkins is going to get that program really going.

To put it another way, I'd rather be a Buff fan with Hawkins than a Neb fan with Tortellini.

JLEW1818
4/30/2008, 07:14 PM
Seems like WV is playing some decent, non conference teams, Auburn, colorado...

goingoneight
4/30/2008, 10:25 PM
Name doesn't always mean quality. Say in 2007, someone schedules Notre Dame, Michigan, Miami and Nebraska. Looks like the devil, but look at the product those teams put out last year. Granted it would be terribly odd to find all of those teams that bad at once again, just sayin'. Right now you look at Cincinatti coming off a 10-win season, TCU is generally a decent team who's already beaten us before in Norman, Jake Locker and UW may not be a title contender, but it is on the road and there's a potential for a good season up there. If you replace Chatanooga with someone like MTSU, and throw in OUr little showdowns with Texas and Nebraska, @ College Station, @ Stoolwater, vs. Orange Bowl Champion Kansas and say a BIG 12 Championship against top-5 Missouri... that looks pretty interesting in itself and would serve a team like OUrs really well to prepare for an MNC.

Who would have thought 30 years ago that one day we'd brag about beating 2nd-ranked Kansas State en route to a National Championship? Well, it happened.

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 11:05 AM
You can usually find the hardest schedules with teams that are terrible that play games with big boys to make money, teams that have good resort desinations and teams that are just insane for attention.

As such, first the resort destination schools:
Hawaii: @ Florida Gators, @ Oregon State, Washington State and Cincinnati

Then, the schools out to make money off large school or tough football opponents:
San Jose State: @ Nebraska, @ Stanford, @ Hawaii, @ Boise State, @ Nevada

Then, the attention seekers:
Notre Dame: Michigan, @ Michigan State, @ Washington, @ USC

Now, if we were to include conference and non-conference, the doozy schedule might belong to Washinton:

UW: at Oregon, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, at USC, Arizona State, UCLA, at Cal.

I would just like to say "I send my condolences." To Coach Tyrone Willingham, for him eminent firing after such a schedule. To Washington, for eminent backlash from the BCA for firing Tyrone. To minority coaches everywhere, when there is one less minority head coach in college football. To the BCA, when they realize no progress is really being made. To Washington's opponents, who will not have a better SoS after facing a losing record team like UW. To Sooner fans making the Washington trip, who will have their party boats rammed and sunk by frustrated Washington fan party boats after a blowout Sooner victory.

;)

Somethings are completely wrong about your assessments, considering you are doing these assessments about playing good teams.

1. San Jose State is in the WAC. That means every year they must play Hawaii, Boise State, Fresno State, and Why you have Nevada listed as a top team is beyond me.
2. Washington is in the PAC-10. Meaning they have to schedule Oregon, USC, Arizona State, UCLA, and CAL.
3. Notre Dame is an independent school. They are also one of, if not, the biggest names in College football. They have no conference foes, meaning they can schedule anyone that has an open date. Also if you look at their schedule, they normally have the same teams on the schedule year after year: USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Pittsburgh,and Navy.

I wouldn't add conference foes as part of my assessment.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/1/2008, 09:28 PM
Arkansas plays Texas and Tulsa in the nonconference portion as well as La.-Monroe, which beat Alabama last season. Hogs also play SEC games against Florida, Mississippi State, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and Kentucky, all bowl teams from a year ago. South Carolina was also bowl-eligible but didn't make a bowl.

Collier11
5/1/2008, 10:37 PM
Arkansas plays Texas and Tulsa in the nonconference portion as well as La.-Monroe, which beat Alabama last season. Hogs also play SEC games against Florida, Mississippi State, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and Kentucky, all bowl teams from a year ago. South Carolina was also bowl-eligible but didn't make a bowl.

you have some bad fav teams my friend!

AllAboutThe'O'
5/1/2008, 11:07 PM
you have some bad fav teams my friend!

I can't help it; I was a Hog fan at birth.;)

PDXsooner
5/1/2008, 11:25 PM
arkansas plays tulsa -- wow that's a toughie!!!

AllAboutThe'O'
5/2/2008, 04:01 AM
arkansas plays tulsa -- wow that's a toughie!!!

Might not be quite as funny if the Golden Hurricane go into Fayetteville and come away with a win. However, TU's chances would have been even better if the former Razorback coach (now at Ole Miss) was still in charge because I'm sure Gus would have loved to try to run it up if he had the chance.

Collier11
5/2/2008, 12:03 PM
I can't help it; I was a Hog fan at birth.;)

I was talking about your baseball teams listed below, lol! The Hogs too though :D

AllAboutThe'O'
5/2/2008, 02:03 PM
I was talking about your baseball teams listed below, lol! The Hogs too though :D

What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment.

Collier11
5/2/2008, 02:39 PM
What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment.

Well ill give you the proverbial, "get em next yr bud" Hope you feel better :D

ric311
5/2/2008, 07:02 PM

Colorado st
E. Wash
West Virg
@Florida St
Texas
@Kansas
K.st
@Mizzou
@A&M
ISU
Osu
@Neb

They will be lucky to start 3-6 or 4-5 barring drastic improvement

FYI - CU missed two FGs against Florida State last year that cost them the game. FSU has something like 10 players coming off suspension that week. WVA has a new coach. And that drastic improvement you're referring to is a fellow named Darrell Scott.