PDA

View Full Version : Next years draft???

sooner n houston
4/29/2008, 08:07 AM
SDomeone thinks OU will have a lot of very high draft picks!

Some of them are disturbing too, SB at #5! Oh no....

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 08:17 AM
I like where all of the other OU players went, but I don't think he'll go pro next year. They had him at #8 thiough.

swardboy
4/29/2008, 08:18 AM
SB is definitely "on the radar" eh? We should be thrilled if he has the kind of year that garners a top ten draft pick....

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 08:25 AM
I think he would be smart to leave next year if he makes All-American because in 2009 we will have a rebuilt line and he doesn't need to risk injury for a 3rd year as a starter. Most guys only start 2 years in college before getting drafted. I hope he comes back, but if not who can blame him.

MojoRisen
4/29/2008, 09:08 AM
If we win it all and he is All America - then maybe otherwise 2010 I think will be a given.

Although if he is a First Rounder top 10 - he needs to go early. That would not hurt our recruiting with QB's at all. We should have Two Steller candidates in the wings.

Boomer.....
4/29/2008, 09:38 AM
I may be wrong, but I do not see Sam coming out early.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 09:42 AM
SB is a great college QB....Top 10 pick though? The only thing that would work for him is there is no franchise quarterbacks (senior wise) in next years draft. He does need to work on some mechanics though if any NFL team is gonna take a shot with him...

starrca23
4/29/2008, 10:33 AM
I know I wear Crimson colored glasses, but I think Sam is a potential franchise quarterback. He may not bring all of the glamour that a Peyton Manning would, but I think he will be a starter for a long time in the league (health provided).

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 10:39 AM
Your correct....you do wear crimson colored glasses:D

He will have to improve in a lot of areas before he would be a franchise quarterback...If he did have a career in the league it would be more of a Danny Weurffel type career IMO..NTTAWWT..Getting paid is getting paid

starrca23
4/29/2008, 10:54 AM
My area of expertise is not football, so this is not a sarcastic question. What does he need to work on? Seems to have pretty good touch, good feet, and usually makes good decisions...

Frozen Sooner
4/29/2008, 10:57 AM
Needs to work on looking off safeties.

His release is a tad slow for the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 11:03 AM
My area of expertise is not football, so this is not a sarcastic question. What does he need to work on? Seems to have pretty good touch, good feet, and usually makes good decisions...

Faster release, foot work is not so hot right now actually(may be his biggest problem), continue to get better on reading defenses, and just basically more stuff that comes with experience...

Once again, not being negative, because he is a heck of a player and most of his flaws are not a big deal at the college level, but don't translate well into the pros

snp
4/29/2008, 11:06 AM
Tim Tebow top 5 and Nic Harris first round? Wow, that's pretty bad.

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 11:09 AM
I know this time last year nobody thought he would do what he did. He looks like a kid dedicated to excellence. For all we know he'll look like Tom Brady with wheels. We should not underestimate Bradford. He has a great QB coach and is very dedicated to the game. He's come a long way from freshman to r-freshman, so who knows what he'll do between last year and now. If we had more kids with his dedication we would be great every year.

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 11:11 AM
Nic Harris is a versatile player. He could play OLB at the next level or safety. If he runs in the 4.5's he'll be top 10.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 11:28 AM
Nic Harris has a great chance at being a top 10 pick..A consistent Loadholt could be a 1st rounder...Gresham could go in the first 2...Duke could go early......

snp
4/29/2008, 11:44 AM
Nic Harris is a versatile player. He could play OLB at the next level or safety. If he runs in the 4.5's he'll be top 10.

He's in the 4.7s.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 11:45 AM
I know this time last year nobody thought he would do what he did. He looks like a kid dedicated to excellence. For all we know he'll look like Tom Brady with wheels. We should not underestimate Bradford. He has a great QB coach and is very dedicated to the game. He's come a long way from freshman to r-freshman, so who knows what he'll do between last year and now. If we had more kids with his dedication we would be great every year.

I don't think anybody is underestimating him. He's got good size(needed the weight gain), intelligence, improving field vision, and one good season under his belt...But being a NFL franchise quarterback and a top 10 pick....

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 11:54 AM
I know he's not a franchise QB at this time, but he has intelligence and good placement with his passes. He led in passing efficiency, so his field vision isn't that bad. I agree that he needs to get better at reading defenses pre-snap, but that will come with time. I think when he decides to go he'll be a 1st round pick barring Jason White injuries.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 12:38 PM
Ryan Dinwiddie holds the career record in pass efficiency in NCAA..Shaun King has the season record..Michael Vick holds the freshman record...Texas Tech quarterbacks are in the top 5 or 10 every year as far as pass efficiency goes...where as the top qb taken in this years draft, Matt Ryan, was ranked 61st..Its a good college accolade but, its not a stat the NFL people will care about..

Look, Im sounding like Debbie Downer here but sometimes, we as OU fans get a little worked up over our players as far as playing in the NFL..Especially in conversations about players leaving early or staying...Im gonna wait and see how he improves mechanically and not statistically before calling him a 1st rounder..

As far as people who ve been there done that in draft room, Pat Jones said he's a long way from being a NFL quarterback.

Great conversation BTW..

Mjcpr
4/29/2008, 12:41 PM
I may be biased but I think OU's offensive and defensive starters will comprise the top 22 draft choices next year; those not illegible will be skipped over for their respective backup.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 12:44 PM
And with the 1st pick, the Miami Dolphins select running back Derek Gove

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 12:50 PM
My whole statement about passing efficiency was based on his field vision not whether he'll be drafted in the first round. I think he'll be drafted in the first round do to multiple skills not what he did one season. I know he needs to work on a lot of things before he can be considered for that level, but the guy has exceptional work ethic.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 12:51 PM
Good point. Hopefully he continues to work hard even though he isnt really competing for his job this year

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 12:59 PM
It also doesn't hurt that he has talent around him. I would rather he go late and be able to sit behind someone like Manning or Brady like Romo has done.

starrca23
4/29/2008, 02:31 PM
I think we can all agree that he has the potential, much like Brady and Manning, work ethic at the next level will be critical to his perfecting the craft. Soonerfan makes a good point, guys like Manning and Brady are uber talented, but they also found the right situation to utilize there talents. Manning has an offensive coordinator with no ego that allows him to control the whole game. Brady has always been surrounded by the talent needed to utilize and develop his skills.

JLEW1818
4/29/2008, 02:54 PM
Nothing against Michael Crabtree, but I still want to see what he does this year. I mean with that type of an offense ... its not too hard to catch passes. I know his numbers were unreal last year, but I still wanna see what he does.

starrca23
4/29/2008, 03:41 PM
Here is espn's take on next year's draft:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3372132&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft08%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dmcshay_todd%26id%3d3372132

silverwheels
4/29/2008, 03:57 PM
It's a little early, but at this point I can only see Duke and Load going in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Gresham may declare early, but I doubt English will.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2008, 03:58 PM
The thing that makes Crabtree different from past TT receivers is he has the measurables wanted by the NFL. That alone will garnish him attention early in the draft.

Oops, I forgot English..

oudivesherpa
4/29/2008, 04:37 PM
I concurr, I don't think Bradford will come out in 2009, if he comes out early, it will more likely be 2010. Bradford's a bright kid, and understands that it takes time for the QB position to mature and that he can maximize his value if he waits. Most kids make a mistake by coming out early, if you're an AD it makes sense, but in most cases, it better to wait and build your resume.
The positions that should wait are skill positions such as QB and OL while a running back may not have that much to gain by waiting.

tulsaoilerfan
4/29/2008, 09:44 PM
After what happened to Reggie and Malcolm, any Sooners planning on coming out early should think long and hard about it

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 09:47 PM
Just curious how Brian Cushing is 6'5?

shaun4411
4/29/2008, 09:53 PM
i think he is a great college qb, but i dont see him being terribly successful in the nfl. he doesnt have the nfl body, and doesnt seem to possess that extra stuff that nfl qbs need. such as jason white, or chris weinke, or josh heupel; all excellent college qbs, but didnt have that "ness" to be successful in the league.

tulsaoilerfan
4/29/2008, 09:57 PM
i think he is a great college qb, but i dont see him being terribly successful in the nfl. he doesnt have the nfl body, and doesnt seem to possess that extra stuff that nfl qbs need. such as jason white, or chris weinke, or josh heupel; all excellent college qbs, but didnt have that "ness" to be successful in the league.

Arm strength is an issue also

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 10:11 PM
6'5 225 isn't an NFL body.
That whats they said about this.
http://thebiglead.com/?p=4706

JLEW1818
4/30/2008, 09:48 AM
Reggie , kelly did us a favor this year... it will show future players not to leave early, unless your 100000% sure your first round.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2008, 08:55 AM
Just for fun, go back and click the link in the first post to the MD that had Bradford going in the top 10 and see if you can find him now..

Boomer.....
5/29/2008, 09:24 AM
They still have him ranked #2 at QB though.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009QB.php

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah if you look at the date on that, its in march which was when they had him at a top 10 qb....its hasn't been updated like the mock has.

Boomer.....
5/29/2008, 10:10 AM
If you go to the screen before, here (http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php), it shows that it was updated May 1st.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah I see that now..Its seems to be, again a list of top quarterbacks, which he definitely belongs in but not necessarily how they feel they will be drafted if i m reading that correctly..

I see how they updated him..they changed him from a 2010 prospect to a 2011

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2008, 10:34 AM
BTW A couple of Sooners getting some love from the NFLers....DeMarcus Granger and Iglesias

JLEW1818
5/29/2008, 02:07 PM
Should be a rule, if you play at OU you have to stay 4+ years. hehe