PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS finds voter ID laws constitutional!

Okla-homey
4/28/2008, 08:33 PM
Yay!

WASHINGTON (AP)- States can require voters to produce photo identification, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, upholding a Republican-inspired law that Democrats say will keep some poor, older and minority voters from casting ballots.

Twenty-five states require some form of ID, and the court's 6-3 decision rejecting a challenge to Indiana's strict voter ID law could encourage others to adopt their own measures. Oklahoma legislators said the decision should help them get a version approved.

Rogue
4/28/2008, 08:38 PM
Why do you hate the poor, elderly, and minorities?

Whet
4/28/2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, and the former ACLU attorney was one of the desenters. Imagine that, afterall, the ACLU was one of the groups that brought the suit forward...

SoonerBorn68
4/28/2008, 08:40 PM
Democrats say will keep some poor, older and minority voters from casting ballots.

Wah! Stand in line like the rest of us for an ID or don't vote & shut up.

Turd_Ferguson
4/28/2008, 08:42 PM
Democrats say will keep some illegal voters from casting ballots.Fixed

Whet
4/28/2008, 08:59 PM
I just wonder in how many elections I "voted" at my old precint in Chicago, since I moved out of the city 15 years ago?

King Crimson
4/28/2008, 09:13 PM
sounds like more big government, bureaucracy, red tape and big brother to me. ;)

tommieharris91
4/28/2008, 09:22 PM
sounds like more big government, bureaucracy, red tape and big brother to me. ;)

It is. Personally I think members of Al-Qaeda should be able to vote.

;)

yermom
4/28/2008, 09:32 PM
Fixed

i just don't see how anyone can be against this

how poor do you have to be to not be able to afford an ID?

JohnnyMack
4/28/2008, 09:49 PM
I will admit that I didn't change my voter registration for many, many years after I moved a while back. My polling place was very close to my office and it was easier to go vote on my lunch hour than it was to try and do it before or after work. IG-88 could have walked into that church and said, "I'm JohnnyMack" and gotten a ballot from those old hens that (bless their collective hearts) work there.

I'm all for showing an ID.

King Crimson
4/28/2008, 09:54 PM
yeah, i don't see any real way to oppose this. though to be honest, i would have guessed that i've shown ID at my local polling place. maybe not.

GottaHavePride
4/28/2008, 09:59 PM
I will admit that I didn't change my voter registration for many, many years after I moved a while back. My polling place was very close to my office and it was easier to go vote on my lunch hour than it was to try and do it before or after work. IG-88 could have walked into that church and said, "I'm JohnnyMack" and gotten a ballot from those old hens that (bless their collective hearts) work there.

I'm all for showing an ID.

IG-88? IG-88?

The only way you could have topped that would have been a Figrin D'an reference.

yermom
4/28/2008, 10:02 PM
Nien Numb? 4-LOM?

JohnnyMack
4/28/2008, 10:16 PM
I could have pulled Booster Terrik or Muftak & Kabe outta my ***.

soonerscuba
4/29/2008, 10:14 AM
Although I agree with the argument in a sense. I can see the problems that people have with the ruling as opposed to making people show ID. The best way I have heard it described is "a solution looking for a problem". The evidence that voter impersonation is a problem is incredibly thin, they cited a case from 1968 and a singular case from the WA gubernatorial election in 2004, and more telling, not a single case in the jurisdiction of the case, Indiana. It seems to me that dealing with this is just a window dressing for actual problems with voter fraud, primarily fake absentee ballots and irregularities with electronic voting. Also, it's purely partisan: there are much, much better uses of Supreme Court time than dealing with this.

OklahomaTuba
4/29/2008, 10:25 AM
Actually, you have it backwards scuba.

People not having to show any sort of identification to vote is a much larger problem than any thing absentee ballots or electronic machines have done.

OUDoc
4/29/2008, 10:33 AM
Ehh, just get a photo ID. I'm pretty sure that's a good idea anyway.

SoonerInKCMO
4/29/2008, 11:40 AM
Damn activist judges! :mad:

;)

Stoop Dawg
4/29/2008, 11:42 AM
The evidence that voter impersonation is a problem is incredibly thin

Hmmm, I wonder if that stems from the fact that there is currently no attempt made to positively ID people when they vote? I imagine it's pretty difficult to detect fraud when you're not even looking for it.

soonerinabilene
4/29/2008, 11:55 AM
I didnt think there was a problem with people showing their ids to vote. There are people that have no problem proving who they are to buy a shot of whiskey, a pack of smokes, to board an airplane, to rent a car, to file their taxes, but to have to do that to VOTE FOR THE LEADERS OF THIS COUNTRY is just too much to ask???

batonrougesooner
4/29/2008, 12:05 PM
Does this mean I'm only allowed to vote once per election now?

Widescreen
4/29/2008, 12:39 PM
Democrats say will keep some illegal immigrants and "dead people" from casting ballots.
Fixed again.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2008, 01:21 PM
I didnt think there was a problem with people showing their ids to vote. There are people that have no problem proving who they are to buy a shot of whiskey, a pack of smokes, to board an airplane, to rent a car, to file their taxes, but to have to do that to VOTE FOR THE LEADERS OF THIS COUNTRY is just too much to ask???Delicious Eloquence!

CORNholio
4/29/2008, 05:05 PM
People should just be allowed to vote over the innerweb using their SS# and more than some 10% of the public would actually vote. Redistribute some of those tax dollars that go to unraveling the mysteries of how Americans prefer to wipe their butt and develop a hacker resistant software allowing the average American to vote at his convenience. Americas ancient voting system actually discourages a true reflection of the peoples choice.

Okla-homey
4/29/2008, 06:09 PM
People should just be allowed to vote over the innerweb using their SS# and more than some 10% of the public would actually vote. Redistribute some of those tax dollars that go to unraveling the mysteries of how Americans prefer to wipe their butt and develop a hacker resistant software allowing the average American to vote at his convenience. Americas ancient voting system actually discourages a true reflection of the peoples choice.

I agree in principle. Especially since every hour, bajillions of dollars move to and fro on the innerweb without any going missing. Well, except for those fractions of a cent the guys stole in Office Space.

Here's the problem though from the perspective of certain political elements. Po folks don't have computers or innerwebz. Thus, such a voting scheme would advantage rich people who own computers and have innerweb access over po folks who lack both. Not mention, you kinda need to be literate to vote online. That too unfairly advantages literate folks over illiterate folks who have to go to the polls and ask for assistance in the booth.

Bottomline: innerweb voting would disadvantage the sector of the electorate that isn't computer savy because it would increase the overall number of voters disproportionately in favor of those who have innerwebz.

No foolin. I happen to know that was the official position of the Alabama DNC four years ago when this came up while I lived there.

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2008, 06:17 PM
The idea of one day voting over the internet is simply horrifying.
Absolutely horrifying.

One of the biggest problems that I see in internet voting is the sudden ability to "vote by proxy." For example, I could ask 10 people who have no intention of voting if I could log in under their name and cast a vote for them.

To me, the bottom line is that you can't prove the officially registered voter is actually the one sitting at the computer casting the ballot.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2008, 06:21 PM
The idea of one day voting over the internet is simply horrifying.
Absolutely horrifying.

One of the biggest problems that I see in internet voting is the sudden ability to "vote by proxy." For example, I could ask 10 people who have no intention of voting if I could log in under their name and cast a vote for them.

To me, the bottom line is that you can't prove the officially registered voter is actually the one sitting at the computer casting the ballot.As compared with dead people voting, someone voting multiple times, felons voting and illegals voting, how would internet voting rate?

Jerk
4/29/2008, 06:26 PM
If someone is too lazy to drive, take a bus, carpool, or walk to the nearest polling place, then it's probably a good thing that they won't vote.

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2008, 06:28 PM
As compared with dead people voting, someone voting multiple times, felons voting and illegals voting, how would internet voting rate?

2x worse. It's really not all that easy to perpetuate some of those classic voter fraud schemes this day (there are all sorts of new ones you see). This seems to be the absolute easiest way to perpetuate voting fraud.

I detest electronic voting machines as well. My preference is optical scanners like we have in OK.

Jimminy Crimson
4/29/2008, 06:28 PM
How did most of these 'people' get to the polls without a DL?

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2008, 06:29 PM
How did most of these 'people' get to the polls without a DL?

Now there's a good question. You're not going to convince me the fat ones walked.

Jimminy Crimson
4/29/2008, 06:38 PM
How do we know they're even real people without some form of idendification?

Harry Beanbag
4/29/2008, 06:49 PM
Do you have to have ID to pick up your welfare checks?

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2008, 06:49 PM
How do we know they're even real people without some form of idendification?

Undocumented aliens are always a major concern.

CORNholio
4/29/2008, 08:57 PM
If someone is too lazy to drive, take a bus, carpool, or walk to the nearest polling place, then it's probably a good thing that they won't vote.

Most people work and have very busy schedules. I gotta think you would get much better voter turnout by incorporating an innerweb option into the whole voting process. Not replacing it.

GottaHavePride
4/29/2008, 11:06 PM
Not mention, you kinda need to be literate to vote online. That too unfairly advantages literate folks over illiterate folks who have to go to the polls and ask for assistance in the booth.

Just a minor point here, but in this day and age if someone isn't literate, they need to get ****ing literate. It's like an extension of Darwinism. Society is now information-based, so if you can't process information you need to not be in the societal "gene pool".

Discriminatory? Hell ****ing yes. Stupid people bother the hell out of me.

And I don't mean actually mentally handicapped people that are unable to learn. That's not their fault. I'm talking about people that are just too damn lazy to put forth an effort to become something other than a drain on society.

OK, sorry, rant over.