PDA

View Full Version : BCS to discuss a four team playoff

oupride
4/28/2008, 12:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Amxbjy45G85F_xfT4xQFmfIcvrYF?slug=dw-bcs042808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Playoff push
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
Mike Slive, the genteel commissioner of the Southeastern Conference, has heard the rage from college football fans seeking a new postseason system. He’s been stopped at airports, been grilled by the media and had endless proposals mailed to him.
He understands the frustration. He’s aware of the impatience. He feels the pain.
Monday, he is going to do something about it. While not the dramatic act playoff backers would dream of or even anything that ensures so much as a modest format change will be adopted by 2010, when the BCS television contract ends, Slive will at least take some action at BCS meetings in South Florida.
For the first time he will put forth for discussion a viable, detailed and intelligent plan for a seeded “plus-one” model (essentially a four team playoff) for determining college football’s national champion.
“What will happen is we will have an in depth conversation concerning a much more concrete plan than we have in the past,” Slive said Friday. “My commitment when I started as (BCS) coordinator in 2006 is to get significant dialogue going. Where it goes or doesn’t go, I don’t know.
“But I think we will be able to discuss at a high level a tangible concept that has been (hashed) through.”
Backed by ACC commissioner John Swofford and with the blessings of both the school presidents and athletic directors of the SEC and ACC, Slive hopes to turn college football’s most impassioned controversy into a calm, collected and civil discussion.
It may not be the sea change coveted by playoff proponents – essentially the overwhelming majority of fans, coaches and players or anyone who doesn’t benefit financially from the current system – but it is something.
Never before has someone with the gravitas and power of Slive introduced such a plan for even discussion. In fact, as incredible as it may seem, according to a number of conference commissioners they’ve never been presented any kind of real plan to discuss.
“This is really a checkpoint for conversation,” Slive said.
He learned long ago you win cases with breadth, not breath. He both won and decided cases by building arguments one fact and one point at a time, following time-worn procedures and respecting the rules of the game.
For the cartel that clings to the arcane bowl system to be toppled and the obstructionists in the Big Ten and Pac 10 to abandon their entrenched positions, the force of change has to come from within the BCS. And it needs to be done tenderly.
So tenderly that Slive won’t even say that he’s in favor of the proposal that he is bringing to the table. He won’t argue it is necessarily good for the SEC; even bringing up that it wouldn’t have been last year. He won’t say if it is feasible to be implemented anytime soon. He won’t commit to anything but the discussion.
He is even quick to remind that while his university presidents have empowered him to get the debate going, they have not committed to supporting the plus one.
“What I will bring and John (Swofford) is very supportive of would be a seeded plus one,” Slive said. “That is not the only possible plan, but both John and I believe that to start the conversation that is where to start.”
The multi-day meetings will include the commissioners of the 11 top-division football playing conferences and Kevin White, the athletic director of Notre Dame. In talking to numerous conference commissioners last week, there is clearly an interest in seeking a new postseason model, but until someone like Slive proposed something real, progress was impossible.
“I think there is a chance that you would see dramatic movement by the first of the year,” said one who asked his name not be used.
At the very least, Slive, among others, has pushed the issue to the forefront.
“A number of conferences have had discussions about the plus one at various levels, including the presidential level, since Jan. 1,” Swofford said.
Others aren’t so sure about change happening. There remains tremendous skepticism that any progress can be made because of the steadfast opposition by Jim Delany and Tom Hansen, commissioners of the Big Ten and Pac 10 respectively.
Those two leagues have a close relationship with the Rose Bowl and the three parties work hand in hand to cover each others’ back.
The current BCS deal assures the Rose Bowl a sort of favored nation status. It has an exclusive contract with ABC (all other BCS bowls are with Fox), a guarantee to the coveted Jan. 1 mid/late afternoon time slot with no other bowl allowed to compete and protection from having to take smaller conference teams (Boise State, Hawaii) that don’t generate big television ratings. It is also the only bowl that gets to waive a $6 million annual fee to be involved with the BCS.
In return, the Rose Bowl will select weaker teams from the Big Ten over better options from other leagues. Last year, for instance, a 9-3 Illinois team, ranked No. 13, was picked over higher rated teams such as Georgia, Missouri and Florida. It then got blown out by Southern California. The reason cited for the selection is “tradition” but it also conveniently assured the Big Ten an extra $17 million in BCS revenue.
So the Rose Bowl provides the Big Ten a rather obvious kickback and the Big Ten vigorously defends the Rose Bowl’s advantageous position.
That, more than perhaps any other single reason – academics, season length, access – is why we have had so little movement for a playoff and so little hope for any in the future.
The question that keeps the BCS commissioners gossiping is if change could ever come in spite of the objections of the Big Ten and Pac 10. What if, for arguments sake, nine conferences and Notre Dame all wanted to go forward? Is that enough?
Maybe, maybe not.
“The BCS, the way we’re structured now, to make significant changes (would) require full consensus,” Swofford said. “It needs to be something all 11 conferences agree to be a part of.”
But if the political tides changed, the Big Ten and Pac 10 could change too. There has certainly been plenty of bluster about those leagues opposition against a plus one – or any playoff. Hansen, for instance, said the Pac 10 would just pull out of the BCS if that was the case and just play the Rose Bowl.
That’s a quaint opinion but if he tried it he’d likely be forced out of office by the time rival recruiters descended on LAX to steal top prospects away to schools playing for the actual national title. Hansen and Delany are powerful people, but no one is powerful enough to tell, say, USC or Ohio State fans their program is no longer competing for the title.
Anyone attempting such a move – presidents, chancellors, etc. – would be overwhelmed and soon unemployed.
Right now, though, we only get a “discussion” on a “proposal.” It’s the best hope anyone has. The odds are still long and even a best-case scenario has little happening this week – except conferences taking it back to their member schools for further debate and opinion.
But it’s something. Slive is pushing it along in every appropriate way, slow, steady and within the system. He’s willing to see where it leads. If push comes to shove, well, it would be interesting to see what happens then.
Would, at some point, Slive be willing to lead a break away group of the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big East and Notre Dame to make a playoff happen? He says nothing and everything when answering that question.
“I get that a lot and I have said it is a question I don’t have to address,” Slive said. “The question is appropriate but it is beyond where we are as a mindset of where we are today.
“Depending on where things go, the question doesn’t have to be answered yet,” he continued. “I think the dialogue is going to be interesting. I don’t want to go further down the road than I have to today.”
Monday is the next step down that long BCS road.
Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

There is also a table with the BCS Background attached to the article at the link provided above. Discuss.

JLEW1818
4/28/2008, 12:54 PM
04-05 season. What if 3 teams are undefeated after their first bowl game? usc, oklahoma, auburn... just wondering. I dunno if you already stated that.

soonerfan28
4/28/2008, 01:00 PM
We all know why the Big Ten doesn't want to do it. Because they can sit back and watch everybody else blow a chance at the BCS Championship and squeeze there way in. Ohio State was the best they had to offer the last two years and they got smashed in the title game both years.

soonermix
4/28/2008, 01:27 PM
i like the part where he says that the other conferences just move ahead and leave out the big 10 and pac 10

badger
4/28/2008, 03:25 PM
i like the part where he says that the other conferences just move ahead and leave out the big 10 and pac 10

Aye!

They have the Rose Bowl, but more importantly, they have very few quality year-in-year-out teams. Thus, overhype (USC and Oregon last year), overrated (Ohio State for two years and Meat Chicken all the years they've been sent to the Rose Bowl recently) leading overconfidence (USC vs. Texas, Ohio State vs. Florida) and over-embarrassment (read: OHIO STATE IS AN EMBARRASSMENT).

oupride
4/28/2008, 05:13 PM
You forgot 2003 ROSE BOWL - OKLAHOMA 34, WSU 14!
http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/2003-rose-bowl.html

TMcGee86
4/28/2008, 06:05 PM
04-05 season. What if 3 teams are undefeated after their first bowl game? usc, oklahoma, auburn... just wondering. I dunno if you already stated that.

I thought that the tournament would be seeded prior to the bowl games. :confused:

MojoRisen
4/28/2008, 06:45 PM
Yes, Plus we got smoke by USC and Aburn would have played them in a one up game and got smoked too.

Hate to say it -

Who were the top 4 teams this year?

I think it would have been Ohio St vs Oklahoma 1 vs 4 and LSU vs Georgia 2 vs 3

Hawaii would have cried and SUC would have cried - but oh well that is why we even have BCS Rankings....

mizzOUstu702
4/28/2008, 06:49 PM
From an AP story on the same issue:

"I continue to sense a certain comfort level, if you will, with the current status of things with the BCS," BCS coordinator John Swofford said after Monday's session. "I think it's been a pretty stable few years."

What an idiot.

Ash
4/28/2008, 06:55 PM
The current BCS deal assures the Rose Bowl a sort of favored nation status. It has an exclusive contract with ABC (all other BCS bowls are with Fox), a guarantee to the coveted Jan. 1 mid/late afternoon time slot with no other bowl allowed to compete and protection from having to take smaller conference teams (Boise State, Hawaii) that don’t generate big television ratings. It is also the only bowl that gets to waive a $6 million annual fee to be involved with the BCS.

Color me ignorant why the PAC-10 and Big11 have made the BCS their biatch. Especially considering the SEC is supposed to be all powerful in all things college football.

goingoneight
4/28/2008, 08:21 PM
Once again, it's money talking where it should rightfully STFU.

JLEW1818
4/29/2008, 01:12 AM
okay so does plus 1 mean that a 4 team tourny or what?? or after the bowl games the best 2 teams play??

SteelClip49
4/29/2008, 08:37 AM
2001 should have been the reason for this decision now.

Oregon, Nebraska, Illinois, Maryland all had 1 loss going onto their bowls and it was a 2 loss Colorado ahead of Oregon, Illinois and Maryland and below a team in which they just had defeated in Nebraska. This would have been nice to have had Oregon vs. Illinois and Nebraska vs. Maryland and say Oregon vs. Nebraska winner to have played Miami for the title.

2003, 2004, 2007 also has its issues but 2001 should have set the precedent for this decision and NOW something is actually being discussed....hope the next President, donkey or elephant, doesn't wait 7 years for something to take place.

MojoRisen
4/29/2008, 08:52 AM
Plus one is Phil Steele's Model....

You seed the Top 4 BCS teams and pit them against each other. 1 vs 4 2 vs 3
Then the winners play in the BCS Championship.. One thing is for sure they would need to have another location for the BCS championship game or it would give one team an unfair advantage having all the fans in town already for the first BCS game. LSU doesn't count for the Sugar bowl as they are already local - but say OU played in the Fiesta Bowl and won and the BCS championship Game is in Phx as well. We end up playing the winner of the Sugar Bowl- Say it is West VA- all our fans are already in Phx- they have to plan two trips - one to NEW Orleans and another to Phx -

I would be hung over for a month - and unable to work

sooneron
4/29/2008, 08:53 AM
2001 should have been the reason for this decision now.

Oregon, Nebraska, Illinois, Maryland all had 1 loss going onto their bowls and it was a 2 loss Colorado ahead of Oregon, Illinois and Maryland and below a team in which they just had defeated in Nebraska. This would have been nice to have had Oregon vs. Illinois and Nebraska vs. Maryland and say Oregon vs. Nebraska winner to have played Miami for the title.

2003, 2004, 2007 also has its issues but 2001 should have set the precedent for this decision and NOW something is actually being discussed....hope the next President, donkey or elephant, doesn't wait 7 years for something to take place.

:confused:
WTF does party affiliation have to do with this?

This doesn't leave the number one team out of the first round.

I don't see this happening unless the other commissioners tell the rose bowl and the respective conferences tied to it to **** off. Which will never happen due to the lovefest with all things sc and the glorious scUM/tOSU rivalry.

oupride
4/29/2008, 11:01 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AsxLKqUntv3XF_m13lftClYcvrYF?slug=ap-bcsmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

Let the playoff talk begin for BCS
By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP)—After getting the easy stuff out of the way, BCS officials will start tackling he tougher issues on the second of three days of meetings in balmy South Florida.

Playoff talk, anyone?

The Bowl Championships Series intends to explore a format change to the so-called plus-one model, which would match the top four teams against each other in bowl games and the winners in the national title game a week later.

The 11 conference commissioners, along with a committee of athletic directors, will meet with bowl and television partners on Tuesday and the plus-one will be among the topics.

“The idea is that leading up to that third day, the commissioners have had the benefit of meeting with the athletic directors, that the athletic directors have had the opportunity to give their advice and input to the commissioners, and that both groups have heard from both Fox and ABC/ESPN, as well as the four bowls,” Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner and BCS coordinator John Swofford told reporters Monday, after the first day of meetings at an ocean-side resort wrapped up.

Come Wednesday, the plus-one goes to the top of the agenda for the commissioners. At that time, Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive plans to present a plan to seed the top four teams in the country heading into the major bowls and have No. 1 play No. 4 and 2 play 3.

“We’ll have a pretty specific discussion about that,” Swofford said. “Up to this point, a lot of it, in some circles, has been somewhat conceptual. At some point, it needs to be a reasonably specific discussion and the potential ramifications of what that might be. We’ll get there while we’re here.”

The chances of the BCS making such a drastic change before the fall—when negotiations will begin with Fox on another television deal—and implementing it when the new TV contract kicks in 2011 seem slim.

The BCS and Fox are halfway through a $320 deal for rights to the Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowls, along with three national championships.

Any new format would have to work around the Rose Bowl’s contract with ABC, the Pac-10 and the Big Ten, which runs through the January 2014 game. In a scheme governed by contracts, that’s a hefty roadblock to overcome.

“That contract and that agreement is to be respected by this full body, and I think everyone understands that,” Swofford said. “And that’s a factor in the deliberations, and where those deliberations may lead us.

“With that said, there may well be other issues there as well. I don’t think it’s fair to say that that’s the lone issue in terms of what the model and the format is the next cycle.”

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen have said they would oppose a plus-one. No other conference has publicly supported a plus-one. Slive and the other commissioners have only pledged to give it a serious look and talk about it as a group.

“I continue to sense a certain comfort level, if you will, with the current status of things with the BCS,” Swofford said. “I think it’s been a pretty stable few years.”

On Monday, the BCS voted for the status quo. Swofford announced that the formula used to rank teams will remain the same this season.

The BCS will retain the same six computer ratings and will use the Harris Poll for the next two years. The Harris and coaches’ polls will still account for two-thirds of a team’s BCS average, with the computers accounting for the other third.

“The formula itself, in the early years of the BCS, it seemed like almost annually we were tweaking that in some way,” Swofford said. “That’s stabilized in large measure and seems to be reasonably effective.”

NormanPride
4/29/2008, 01:37 PM
The past couple championship games have been such a joke it's hard to argue for a playoff.

badger
4/29/2008, 02:03 PM
Playoffs take out the predetermined aspects of NCAA football that we have all come to enjoy

1- At least one mid-major team will always cry foul to sneak into a BCS game (but may not get an invite anyway)

2- The cards will always be stacked in certain teams' favor, especially Notre Dame (with a winning season).

3- ESPN will always hype the team that's on the rise, rather than the one at the top, because stirring the pot is what brews controversy.

4- Texas' bandwagon will always be pointed directly toward San Diego's Holiday Bowl, unless they have already played it, in which case it will be pointed directly toward Darrell K Royal Memorial Stadium... and it will always arrive late to games.

5- The national championship will always go to the team that beats the mediocre Big 10 team, which happens to usually be Ohio State or Meatchicken.

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 02:04 PM
The past couple championship games have been such a joke it's hard to argue for a playoff.

I don't understand your statement. If they've been a joke then wouldn't that mean the current system isn't working and we need something different.

JLEW1818
4/29/2008, 03:00 PM
Plus one is Phil Steele's Model....

You seed the Top 4 BCS teams and pit them against each other. 1 vs 4 2 vs 3
Then the winners play in the BCS Championship.. One thing is for sure they would need to have another location for the BCS championship game or it would give one team an unfair advantage having all the fans in town already for the first BCS game. LSU doesn't count for the Sugar bowl as they are already local - but say OU played in the Fiesta Bowl and won and the BCS championship Game is in Phx as well. We end up playing the winner of the Sugar Bowl- Say it is West VA- all our fans are already in Phx- they have to plan two trips - one to NEW Orleans and another to Phx -

I would be hung over for a month - and unable to work

Well that sounds great. Wish that would happen!!! Thanks for the info bud!

JLEW1818
4/29/2008, 03:01 PM
1vs 4 . 2vs 3 that is ... I agree that the location should be fixed.

oupride
4/30/2008, 09:50 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=ArSfpoeE7OL4Fo2BMBK4yeccvrYF?slug=ap-bcsmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

Big 10, Pac-10 play the role of BCS villains
By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP College Football Writer

AP - Apr 29, 2:54 pm EDT

AP - Apr 29, 2:54 pm EDT 1 of 2 NCAAF Gallery HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP)—Wednesday is judgment day for the Bowl Championship Series’ plus-one format.

As three days of BCS meetings wrap up, Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive will present his plan to the other 10 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White. The proposal would seed the top four teams in two semifinal bowl games, with the winners meeting in a national championship game.

The commissioners can’t adopt the change, which would require presidential approval. But they can kill it.

“If this kind of change doesn’t have enough support from the commissioners group to move forward at this given point in time, then it simply stops there,” BCS coordinator John Swofford told reporters at a briefing to wrap up Tuesday’s meetings.

The Big Ten and Pac-10 have been widely portrayed as the two leading opponents to the plan. Without them, the BCS would be on its way to a playoff.

That’s the perception—though not the reality—and it’s allowed the other conferences to be safely noncommittal about the plus-one concept.

That rankles Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

“I think the characterization of the Big Ten and Pac-10 being at one place and everyone else being at the other place, I don’t think it’s accurate,” Delany told reporters Tuesday during a break in the BCS meetings at a beachfront hotel.

“Just because somebody says they’re open-minded and interested in looking at other models doesn’t mean they’re committed to it.”

The Big Ten and Pac-10 are loyal to the Rose Bowl, and they worry that any move to a plus-one would open the door to a full-blown playoff. The Rose Bowl and its separate TV contract with ABC is a major hurdle for the BCS to clear if it wants to adopt the new format.

One magazine even dubbed the Rose Bowl alliance ‘The Axis of Obstruction.”

“I think it’s a stretch myself,” Delany said with a laugh.

He’s got a point.

Even Slive has refused to say whether he and his constituents would vote for such a plan. Same goes for Swofford, commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference. He took over for Slive as BCS coordinator in January and immediately said he was committed to putting the plus-one on the agenda for these meetings.

Swofford said the plus-one has been talked about within the ACC, but he’s never polled his members to find out if they would support it.

Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe have taken the same approach. Both say they want to talk about a plus-one, but that’s as far as they’ll go.

“I think the burden for change is on those who want change,” Delany said.

But there doesn’t seem to be a clamor for change among the rest of the group.

“I think there are a lot of people in the room that are happy with the way things are now, but the question is: Is there a better way that improves the BCS and improves the postseason for college football?” Swofford said.

If the BCS does want to make a format change starting with the 2011 bowls, it needs to be approved in August by the university presidents before the TV rights negotiations with Fox begin in the fall. The chances of that happening seem remote, at best.

The BCS is in the middle of a four-year, $320 million deal with Fox for the rights to the Orange, Sugar and Fiesta bowls, along with three national title games. The deal runs through the 2010 bowls.

JLEW1818
4/30/2008, 12:06 PM
Screw the pac 10 and big 10!

JohnnyMack
4/30/2008, 01:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3375352

Not happening.

Sooner_09
4/30/2008, 01:47 PM
Reeeejected!

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 01:51 PM
Lameass Rose Bowl skirts.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/30/2008, 04:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AtLAO2UUkWlU4adLeGmhBB05nYcB?slug=ap-bcsmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

BCS rejects playoff proposal
By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer
2 hours, 13 minutes ago

Buzz Up Print
In this Jan. 5, 2008 file phot…

AP - Apr 29, 2:54 pm EDT

In this Jan. 7, 2008 file phot…

AP - Apr 29, 2:54 pm EDT 1 of 2 NCAAF Gallery HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP)—There will be no playoff for the BCS anytime soon.

Bowl Championship Series officials rejected a plan Wednesday to turn the controversial system for deciding a national champ into a four-team playoff, starting in the 2010 season.

“After a very thorough very good discussion among the group, we have decided that because we feel at this time the BCS is in an unprecedented state of health, we feel it’s never been healthier during its first decade,” Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford said. “We have made a decision to move forward in the next cycle with the current format.”

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive presented a plan Wednesday to the other league commissioners for a plus-one format, matching the No. 1 team in the nation against No. 4 and 2 vs. 3 in the marquee bowl games. The winners would meet about a week later in the BCS national championship game.

“I’m not unhappy,” Slive said. “There’s no such thing as standing pat. I think we’ve done a service.

“I can’t say I’m surprised.”

In the current BCS format, the top two teams in the BCS standings—which use polls and computer ratings to grade teams—after the regular season are matched in the BCS national title game.

The announcement to drop the plus-one talk for the near future was no surprise. Coming into these meetings it seemed to be at best a long shot to gain enough support for it to remain an option for the next BCS TV contract cycle, which begins with the 2011 bowls.

The Big Ten and Pac-10 have been dead set against the plus-one. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen have said repeatedly that they’re concerned the four-team playoff the plus-one creates would inevitably grow. Also, they believe their league’s access to the Rose Bowl, already compromised by simply being involved with the BCS, could be further hindered by a plus-one.

In the 10 seasons since the BCS was put in place, the Rose Bowl has had its traditional Pac-10 vs. Big Ten matchup six times.

Slive, Swofford, Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese and Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe had all said they were in favor of taking a serious look at the plus-one, but no league had gone so far as to publicly support the change.

In the end, only the SEC and ACC wanted to even continue the discussion.

The concern about a playoff among college football’s leaders is that it would make football a two-semester sport and would lessen the importance of a regular season that now has a do-or-die feel to it from week to week.

Also complicating matters for the BCS is the Rose Bowl’s separate TV deal with ABC, which runs through the 2014 bowls.

The BCS’s TV deal for the rights to the Sugar, Orange and Fiesta bowls runs through the 2010 bowls. Negotiations with Fox on the next deal will begin in the fall.

The Bowl Championship Series was implemented in 1998 after the Big Ten, Pac-10 and Rose Bowl agreed to join with the other five major conferences and three marquee bowls to create an annual national title game involving the top two teams in the country after the regular season.

While the BCS has created championship games that never would have happened under the old bowl system, it’s been far from perfect. For the many college football fans desperate to see a playoff that would crown a more definitive champion, the BCS has been a target for their angst.

Almost every season, there’s been some dispute leading into the championship game about whether the BCS selected the two most deserving teams.

Last year, Georgia fans were the loudest to complain when the Bulldogs were left out of the BCS title game in favor of LSU and Ohio State.

In past years, undefeated Auburn was left out of the national title game after the 2004 season in favor of Southern California and Oklahoma; Nebraska reached the championship game after the 2002 season, despite getting blown out in its final regular-season game.

The idea behind the plus-one is to alleviate some of the controversy by sending four teams into the postseason with a chance to win the national championship.

I wonder why the other conferences don't speak up if they are in favor?

Scott D
4/30/2008, 04:53 PM
Why should they when the BCS in it's current format continues to be extremely lucrative for their conference coffers?

TheUnnamedSooner
4/30/2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, but enhancing it to a plus one would be just as lucrative no?

Scott D
4/30/2008, 06:04 PM
Apparently not when you are dealing with people whose first instinct is to have the "if it ain't broke ($$$) don't fix it ($$$$)" mindset.

shaun4411
4/30/2008, 08:18 PM
:confused:
WTF does party affiliation have to do with this?

This doesn't leave the number one team out of the first round.

I don't see this happening unless the other commissioners tell the rose bowl and the respective conferences tied to it to **** off. Which will never happen due to the lovefest with all things sc and the glorious scUM/tOSU rivalry.

nfl fans do it every year

sooneron
4/30/2008, 09:11 PM
Screw the pac 10 and big 10!

You forgot neuter damn.

sooneron
4/30/2008, 09:12 PM
nfl fans do it every year

uh, ok.

I'm sorry, I missed something. What do they do ever year?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stoop Dawg
5/2/2008, 01:45 PM
Why should they when the BCS in it's current format continues to be extremely lucrative for their conference coffers?

One would hope that those whose job is to coordinate college athletics would put the ideals of sport and the desires of fans, players, and coaches above the almighty dollar.

And it's not like the proposed change is net money loser.

Scott D
5/2/2008, 03:41 PM
that would assume that CFB as an entity has ever had the desires of fans, players, and coaches above the almighty dollar.

Stoop Dawg
5/2/2008, 04:22 PM
that would assume that CFB as an entity has ever had the desires of fans, players, and coaches above the almighty dollar.

Not really. It would assume that the current conference commissioners and ADs cared about something other than money. And unfortunately, that assumption (or hope) appears to be completely wrong. (IMO, of course)

birddog
5/2/2008, 04:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3375352

Not happening.

I'm Shocked! Shocked, I say!

Scott D
5/2/2008, 07:29 PM
Not really. It would assume that the current conference commissioners and ADs cared about something other than money. And unfortunately, that assumption (or hope) appears to be completely wrong. (IMO, of course)

Well to get technical, one could say that the Pac-10 and Big-10 care more about their 'traditional' matchup more than the money or what the fans want. The other commissioners seeing that those two conferences weren't going to budge knew that it would be a dead issue, and since the fans don't select these people they don't have to answer to the fans. Heck, in some cases they feel they don't need to answer to the member schools of their conferences.

Also, every member school of the Big-12 voted against a +1 format back in March.