PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Sooners

Collier11
4/28/2008, 11:43 AM
I have heard thus far that MW has signed with the Vikes, JJF with the 49ers, and Hartley with the Broncos...anyone else yet?

JLEW1818
4/28/2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2008/4/27/462138/2008-nfl-draft-undrafted-f

Yep, I see Hartley with the Broncos. Amendola on cowboys list.... just for kicks.

badger
4/28/2008, 12:29 PM
If you want a very easy way to track it, just go here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=o

It isn't updated yet, but when it is, it will show all Oklahoma alum and what team they're with now. It's how I put together the lists on the other thread.

I am an lifelong NFL nut (go pack go!) so here's my analysis that is not team-specific, but NFL-specific, because teams that take them now have just as good a chance of letting them go when they cut down to the final 53...

I think that Patrick, who was very close to being undrafted, has a very good chance of making the Ravens special teams. AP was a monster for us on kick and punt coverage and if he gets to run the ball a little too, that's fine. However, his best chance to make a roster is tearing up the special teams scene.

Garrett Hartley has a chance of making a roster if he can show consistency and leg strength throughout preseason. There is absolutely no job security for a kicker, so if he kicks better than some veteran or some draft pick, he's got the job. I cannot stress enough the importance of CONSISTENCY for Harrrrtley. The NFL will cut kickers mid-season if they aren't getting the job done, no matter what their history is.

Joe Jon Finley will need to turn heads throughout preseason. Tight End is a very competitive position in the NFL that requires brute strength to pound past huge pro linemen for first downs, or else they get embarrassed (see Kellen Winslow II Browns video, lol).

Marcus Walker has a very competitive position at CB. NFL wide receivers will just destroy you with quick cuts and speed alone, so he needs to show that he can keep up with pro WR's and read routes well. SPEED KILLS, so as long as he shows he can run with the best, he will have the chance to make a squad. I see him joining a team with defensive problems that is desperate for new blood on their ailing secondary, or at least a practice squad of a good offensive team that needs young legs to challenge star receivers and qb's.

DJ Wolfe really came alive at his strong safety position this past year. I think that his inexperience at this position compared to others (RB, CB, etc) caused him to go undrafted, but I am quite confident he will make a roster, unless teams are deterred by his weird hair and goofy personality. He is very good at coverage and all he needs is a few highlights - tipped passes, sneaky sacks or even better, an INT or forced fumble - and he's a roster man.

Lewis Baker is not one of OU's greatest LB's, but he can make a roster or at least a practice squad by stopping the run. So many NFL running backs are young and speedy, but if he can get tackles for a loss consistently and show that he can read blockers and OL holes well for tackles for no gain or losses, he's in. Unfortunately, he's probably out.

Darrien Williams has the perfect position, safety, so get some stats. Break up some passes, prevent some TD's and reach up for some INT's and he will either get a late roster spot or a practice squad spot. I see him as a potential practice squader more, just because my gut feeling is that not many NFL teams will take a chance on him and he'll have to start in CFL or Arena first.

Rhino
4/28/2008, 01:28 PM
Patrick will make the Ravens squad.

Hartley, Finley, Walker and Wolfe will all have a tough time making a squad. Very much on the outside looking in.

Baker and Williams better look toward Arena League.

Curly Bill
4/28/2008, 02:36 PM
Patrick will make the Ravens squad.

Hartley, Finley, Walker and Wolfe will all have a tough time making a squad. Very much on the outside looking in.

Baker and Williams better look toward Arena League.

I would agree with this pretty much in its entirety...

...the only possible exception I could see is if Hartley returns to the form he showed as a junior.

BoulderSooner79
4/28/2008, 04:52 PM
Hartley will get a good look, and not just by the Broncos. It's pretty rare for teams to use draft choices for kickers, so I wouldn't take that as lack of interest. Most NFL coaches are looking for 80+% FG success from inside 40yds and consistent deep kick-offs. Few are looking for the kicker to be a weapon - they just want to know what to expect as they are control freaks. As noted, coaches keep a list of kickers on speed-dial and replace them better games w/o blinking an eye. Hartley needs to get on that list and then be consistent when the chance comes.

BTW, Denver let Elam go due to salary cap and the fact he couldn't kick-off deep anymore forcing them to carry 2 kickers. Hartley will get a fair chance in Denver if he can still kick it deep.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2008, 08:12 PM
Ditto what Rhino said..

Wolfe is too slow, Baker is too light and not fast enough, Patrick was drafted just for ST.... I still say Walker has the best chance

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 08:02 AM
I think Finley's in a pretty good situation. Vernon Davis hasn't proven he can stay healthy and behind him they have Billy Bajema, so he has a real shot to make the team at the least.

Rhino
4/29/2008, 10:25 AM
Wolfe has signed an UDFA contract with the Falcons.

badger
4/29/2008, 11:10 AM
Wolfe has signed an UDFA contract with the Falcons.

Good move by Wolfe and his agent. The Falcons are the most sad and pathetic team in the NFL right now, with losing Vick to jail and their former head coach to the Pig Sooies. Thus, he has a very good chance of making a team if he can make good plays in preseason and in camp. DJ might not have been the best cover for speedy receivers, but he was sure good at safety.

Go DJ! That's my DJ! Go DJ! That's my DJ! ;)

Rhino
4/29/2008, 01:17 PM
Alonzo Dotson - Redskins
Lewis Baker - 49ers

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Rhino.