PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fooz-ball is over (I think)...

goingoneight
4/27/2008, 01:39 AM
There may be a few spring games left or something like that. I'm not asking for your top 25 or whatever, but how do you see things shaking out in 2008? It should definitely be a fun coversation.

Conference Champs?

Pac 10? goingoneight says USC whilst keeping his fingers crossed for Mikey Stoops in AZ. I honestly think they'll rematch with 11-1/10-2-ish Ohio State in the "Grandaddy of them all." In which case we pray for the start of the great SC bowl skid.

That covers the Pac 10 and BIG 11... next is the Big East. Very hard for me to pick against WVU considering their track-record, but something tells me something is going to happen to Pat White and Co. this year along the lines of Meatchicken/Appy State. IOW, the media will make too much of a team with lots of holes to fill and a good QB might not be enough. It would be nice to see Cincy win the BIG East to help us out in the end of things, though. I'm still saying WVU.

BIG 12? I still really like OUr chances to three-peat unless for some odd reason we come out looking like we did in early 2005 and early 2006 defensively, which is a strong possibility given the defensive starters gone. However, no one on OUr schedule scares the crap out of me. It's not who, it's where... can we win in Stoolwater and Collie Station? I don't see us terribly worse than 2006 and 2007, but I don't see us any better yet, either... I'll predict an 11-1 finish with another BIG 12 Title and lots of crossed fingers on selection Sunday by Sooner faithful hoping the BCS forgives us for an inevitable off game (it's become a pattern since 2000).

Good Lord, that means we get WVU back in Glendale. :eek: Maybe... different year, familiar faces, different team... we'll see, I guess. One thing we do know is that Quentin Chaney will light it up if that's the case. :D

SEC? Look, I don't think they're some godly assembly of athletic freaks whose "speed" and "strength" is unmatched. I think a top program is a top program and the likes of OU, USC, WVU, etc. all would challenge for the SEC crown if placed there. However, we're not there, they're not there and right now the SEC is the best overall conference. Does that mean they'll produce the best team in the country? Not likely... I mean, Boise State wouldn't have went any better than we did in the 2006 schedule, but look what they did on the big stage.
I'll go with 10-2 UGA over par LSU team in the SECCG. Then I'll predict the media love so thick that even two blowout losses can't keep them out of Miami. Sugar Bowl at worst.

Not a top ten or anything like that, but teams you really think will be in the thick of things come November.

goingoneight says:

Oklahoma
USC
Georgia
Texas Tech
whoever wins the Colorado/WVU game (likely WVU, but I wouldn't be shocked to see CU do well this year)

meoveryouxinfinity
4/27/2008, 11:38 AM
Pac-10, not much to say. USC has a much improved schedule, which I think they will breeze through, but will probably lose to a bottom of the pac-12 team, a la Stanford and OSU--hopefully @stoops. Other than that, they will be the best team in the country...that is, if Sanchez doesn't suck. (I also think Joe McKnight got lucky last year will fail this year..... wishful thinking?) I see USC in the National Championship, unless their loss comes late in the schedule.

Big 12.. I'm sitting here thinking that Texas...or someone should be better than OU. Colt McCoy, big junior, is going to light it up, right? But OU still has more and better quality players at just about every position (at least on offense). I even think even Tech matches up better than Texas. Sweed is gone and isn't Charles and J. Finley? Nonetheless, I do think that a few new play makers will give their squad a refreshing look. Tech has a mediocre non-conf schedule and their hardest away games are A&M, KU, and OU. I still don't see Tech finishing above OU. With the North reverting to their old selves (except possibly Mizzou), I see OU winning the conference again but failing to go undefeated. But hey, I hear AZ is nice? I also think the #2/#3 team in the Big 12 (Texas/Mizzou/Tech) has a chance to get an at large again.

I think the Big-10 will be boring for yet another year. At the top of the league will be State Penn and Ohio State. I think Michigan will fail miserably. Michigan State and Wisconsin could be decent and have the biggest chance to upset those two. Oh, and Iowa is a joke. Ohio State to the Rose.

Let's face it, the ACC is always boring. Miami looks to be a team on the rise with all their incoming talent, but I doubt their new recruits can improve the team enough immediately. I have to believe that Clemson and Virginia Tech will be consistent enough to win the conference, but in reality will be average and only slightly better than FSU and BC. Clemson to the non-mnc Orange.

I agree that the SEC is the best conference but will not necessarily have one of the best two teams in the country. Give credit where credit is due-- from top to bottom, the SEC has very little separation between the teams. I don't see UF, UGA, or LSU going undefeated. UF has a tough schedule playing Hawaii, Miami, LSU, UGA, and USC (SEC version) at home. But their toughest away games are @ Tenn, Arkansas, and FSU. All in all, they probably have the easiest road to the SEC title. But I've heard from many people that the Swamp is far from the hardest place to play in the SEC and I believe they could be tripped up at Tennessee. I see LSU NOT getting those lucky brakes like last year and losing (at minimum) @ Auburn and @ Florida. I don't see UGA going through their 4 week away game strech undefeated. @LSU, @UF, @Kentucky, @Auburn--any of those is a good time to lose. I think Alabama is far from being consistently good. I also think Auburn lacks luster and star play makers. However, I see the winner of the SEC in the national championship. The #2 team will probably get an at large.

I saved the Big East for last, because I am dreading it. I mean, it's fun to have something to watch on Thursday nights, but the Big East is far from :pop: :pop:. Regardless of what WVU did last year, this conference is full of "Cinderellas"--which sounds fun for a minute, but watching Rutgers- Cinci is not the highlight of my week. In other words, I have no clue who will be the team to beat in the Big East. I don't think making a rash coaching hire will benefit WVU, but then again Neb. should have probably hired Pelini right away. They are fast and have many ways to beat you, but they all center around White. White hurts his pinky and they lose to PITT? I hope he stays healthy, if not, I see a season similar to Oregon last year. Of course, most teams suffer when you take our their starting qb, I just think White is very susceptible to injury because of the way he runs. I'll go out on a limb and say that WVU will once again win the Big East. WVU to non-mnc Orange.

Thursday, January 1 - Rose Bowl Game presented by citi
Big 10 Champion Ohio State (10-2 loss @USC, @Mich St) vs At-large Texas (11-1 loss v Oklahoma)

Thursday, January 1 - FedEx Orange Bowl
ACC Champion Clemson (11-2 losses @Alabama, @FSU) vs Big East Champion West Virginia (9-3 losses @Colorado, Auburn, @UConn)

Friday, January 2 - Allstate Sugar Bowl
At-large Georgia (10-2 losses @secUSC, @Florida) vs Automatic BYU (12-0, MWC Champions)

Monday, January 5 - Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Big XII Champion Oklahoma (12-1 loss @KSU) vs At-large Penn State (10-2 losses @OSU, @Wisconsin)

Thursday, January 8 - FedEx BCS National Championship: (Miami Gardens, Florida)
SEC Champion Florida (12-1 loss @Tennessee) vs Pac-10 Champion USC (12-0)

Okay, so I got a little too far into detail, but hey, one of these 500 things is bound to happen. Then I can brag about calling it. But in all likelihood expect the exact opposite.

*edit--and i don't know if all those bowl matchups are possible, because i didn't check the automatic bids

goingoneight
4/27/2008, 08:00 PM
Dammit... that Penn State looks like another one of those "lose-lose" situations. You win and no one gives a ****... you lose and all of a sudden people rip you to shreds.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/27/2008, 11:17 PM
Dammit... that Penn State looks like another one of those "lose-lose" situations. You win and no one gives a ****... you lose and all of a sudden people rip you to shreds.

LOL well hopefully we don't lose to KSU. :P

goingoneight
4/27/2008, 11:23 PM
I forgot my ;) with that one... whoopsie.

That is a great analysis BTW. I mean, you truly never do know... but you can't really argue at this point with it.

I have a feeling Georgia's going to do it this year in the SEC... it's awful hard on paper to pick between them and Florida, though.

Sooner_09
4/28/2008, 01:09 AM
I have a feeling Georgia's going to do it this year in the SEC... it's awful hard on paper to pick between them and Florida, though.

We'll see if Florida returns the favor by storming the field after scoring the first touchdown next season

goingoneight
4/28/2008, 09:27 PM
How awesome would it be for us to go into the MNC game in Miami against UGA and have the world against us, everyone dogging us for LSU, USC, Boise State, WVU, "not enough speed to keep up with the SEC," blah-blah-blah and beat them?

meoveryouxinfinity
4/29/2008, 03:11 PM
How awesome would it be for us to go into the MNC game in Miami against UGA and have the world against us, everyone dogging us for LSU, USC, Boise State, WVU, "not enough speed to keep up with the SEC," blah-blah-blah and beat them?

I believe this is what Ohio State fans were saying before getting destroyed by LSU

;)

be careful what you wish for, lol.

I'd rather have a rematch with USC than play an SEC team.

MojoRisen
4/30/2008, 07:03 PM
Georgia has little chance of going, they maybe the best team in SEC but they have a lot of road games- they loose 3

We can play with anyone in the SEC this year. I hope we play well on the road and not look like scared goats or whatever.

MD

meoveryouxinfinity
5/1/2008, 04:38 PM
Georgia has little chance of going, they maybe the best team in SEC but they have a lot of road games- they loose 3

We can play with anyone in the SEC this year. I hope we play well on the road and not look like scared goats or whatever.

MD

agreed.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/9/2009, 11:42 AM
wow how wrong I was. But I was in the ballpark.