PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith

JLEW1818
4/26/2008, 08:56 PM
Well... he was projected in a lot of mock drafts as a 1st round pick. What happens now to Reggie. Did he mess up?

OU-HSV
4/26/2008, 08:59 PM
yes. but he'll still be rich

Collier11
4/26/2008, 09:00 PM
He will be a 3rd rounder, get a bonus upwards of $750k most likely, he cost himself a lot of moola though

tulsaoilerfan
4/26/2008, 09:05 PM
Lack of speed or injury issues?

Rhino
4/26/2008, 09:27 PM
Speed, experience, durability.

BoulderSooner79
4/26/2008, 09:36 PM
I watched a lot of the draft show and I didn't see or hear any reference to Reggie. They constantly talked about MK until he was finally taken, but nothing on Reggie. Scary how far he may drop.

JLEW1818
4/26/2008, 09:39 PM
I watched a lot of the draft show and I didn't see or hear any reference to Reggie. They constantly talked about MK until he was finally taken, but nothing on Reggie. Scary how far he may drop.

I hear ya, right after the season it was all Reggie first round. but now i dont even think I heard his name talked about today.

goingoneight
4/26/2008, 09:48 PM
Reggie had a broken toe. That takes about six weeks to recover from, so the coaches sat down with him and decided they'd start Franks in the Fiesta Bowl and "give him some time" to think about his future. IOW, he wanted to go and was already cutting classes, etc.

Having said that... the six weeks for the bone to heal were long past by combine and pro day time. If Reggie's paying for anything, it's not a lack of talent, it's the Marcus Dupree plague. Everyone blasted Kelly for his rant, but at least you can tell when a guy gets all fired up like that, you know he's taking it seriously with all that's in him to bag on the coaching staff that put him in this position in the first place.

badger
4/26/2008, 11:20 PM
Reggie Smith pros:
-talent
-experience

Reggie Smith cons:
-injuries
-dropping return balls
-speed

This draft seems to have become more about "sure things" as opposed to having upside, having future potential, having stats, etc. Why didn't they draft wide receivers in the first round? Look at recent WR flops and WR's that are prima donnas. Thus, the top WR's drop, especially those with injuries and off-field issues.

In Reggie's case, he might have been a first rounder under different circumstances or in different draft years. Remember when the Ravens won it all and everybody went nuts over defense in the next draft? Same reasoning.

In the case of Malcolm, I think he listened to the wrong people. He bulked up instead of speeding up. I think Reggie listened to the wrong people also about jumping to the draft.

sooner59
4/27/2008, 10:02 AM
Just went to SF 49ers in round 3.

badger
4/27/2008, 11:00 AM
Just went to SF 49ers in round 3.

75th overall

Blitzkrieg
4/27/2008, 11:04 AM
Reggie messed up. He might have been AA and played into the first round next year. Oh well, good lesson for the younger guys on the team. I hope Reggie has a Charlie Waters, Ronnie Lott, or John Lynch type career, but you never get the chnace to make that guaranteed signing bonus money ever again. All the rest of your contracts are one injury and you're done, especially at an expendable position like safety.

JLEW1818
4/27/2008, 11:09 AM
Go Reggie, as much as I wanted him to stay good luck! Any word on JJ fin?

Collier11
4/27/2008, 11:31 AM
The guy that got drafted in the same slot as Reggie last yr got a $761k bonus, he probably cost himself a lot of money but he is still going to make a mil in his 1st season

Rhino
4/27/2008, 12:11 PM
Reggie cost himself a lot of money by chasing money.

Reggie Smith pros:
-talent
-experience Actually, one of the biggest knocks on him is his inexperience at corner. Sure, he's played a lot, but he's switched positions every year. Teams didn't know what they would get with him.

King Crimson
4/27/2008, 12:18 PM
Colorado's Terrence Wheatley went ahead of him.

jackietreehorn
4/27/2008, 12:33 PM

he should have. faster and a better shut down guy. don't remember any big catches when we played them. wheatley is a pure corner.

King Crimson
4/27/2008, 12:42 PM
he should have. faster and a better shut down guy. don't remember any big catches when we played them. wheatley is a pure corner.

he did a number on Malcolm Kelly, that's for sure.

badger
4/27/2008, 01:50 PM
The guy that got drafted in the same slot as Reggie last yr got a $761k bonus, he probably cost himself a lot of money but he is still going to make a mil in his 1st season

I know Mark Cuban is a d00sche and voted against the Sonics move to OKC, but he did have a good point about younger talent not understanding the value of coming into the pros later.

He mostly spoke about the NBA, but compared it to the NFL model of having players wait three years, as it is not a right to play in professionally, just as it is not a right to be employed at a good job without minimum education requirements.

I specifically remember him saying that to a lot of teenagers and younger players, they are not mature enough to handle money and listen to the wrong people in becoming a professional. Concerning money, they think a million-dollar contract makes them a millionaire and forget about giving half to taxes 10 percent to agents and lawyers, but rather want to spend lavishly right away on houses, cars and boats.

Now, not saying that's Reggie, MK or Lofton. However, when you consider how much money first rounders make up-front compared to later rounds and the job security that comes with all that guaranteed money, here's hoping they aren't like many typical NFL players today - career ending injuries early-on leading to early cuts and retirement within a few years. :(

85sooners
4/27/2008, 02:05 PM
:pop:

Big Red Ron
4/27/2008, 02:06 PM
Just went to SF 49ers in round 3.Yes!

Big Red Ron
4/27/2008, 02:08 PM
Isn't Wheatly a CB? Reggie was/is a Safety playing CB for a year. He's going to surpass Roy as a Safety in the NFC.

looch
4/27/2008, 03:37 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Although I thought that Reggie should have been the first Sooner taken (also in the 1st round), I am not willing to say that he will "beat out Roy" or even be something that special.

The potential is there of course.

If anything I am happy for him because he has such an upside and won't be restricted to a long term rookie contract after he proves himself...

RedstickSooner
4/27/2008, 06:13 PM
I hope at some point kids start to get the message about why, precisely, it's so important where you go in the draft. It's not just that you get a higher signing bonus or guaranteed money in the 1st round -- it's also like Badger alluded to: Job security.

Football is a notoriously mercurial industry. And where you were drafted, and how much signing bonus you earned, contributes ENORMOUSLY to how much time teams are willing to invest in you.

Best example of this, I believe, is Kellen Winslow Jr. Now, let me begin by agreeing with the rest of you: I hate him. I hope he eats his own parents and then cries in front of Radiohead.

That being said, his career exists *purely* because of his draft position. Had he been drafted lower, he would've probably gotten cut after his second season, due to injury issues and lack of productivity. Instead, he stuck around, because to cut him would've been to admit they'd made a colossal draft mistake -- and then proceeded to turn his career around to where he's now a fairly decent tight end.

Without that high draft positioning, Kellen is falling back on his degree, and trying to figure out how to make a living right now.

If sticking around an extra year moves you up a draft round, you might not just be looking at an extra million: You might be looking at the difference between the NFL and unemployment.

JLEW1818
4/27/2008, 08:30 PM
Think he can start?

Pigface1
4/28/2008, 12:54 PM
He's going to surpass Roy as a Safety in the NFC.

? Roy is a perennial Pro Bowler. Reggie will be lucky to start.

soonerfan28
4/28/2008, 01:04 PM
I think it's already been stated on hear that Reggie and Malcolm made a mistake coming out. Malcolm will have his chance to shine in Washington, but Reggie doesn't have the make up speed for corner and will not be a great safety.

Collier11
4/28/2008, 01:11 PM
I think it's already been stated on hear that Reggie and Malcolm made a mistake coming out. Malcolm will have his chance to shine in Washington, but Reggie doesn't have the make up speed for corner and will not be a great safety.

They wouldnt have wasted a 3rd rounder on Reggie if he didnt have a shot at starting, having said that money wise he made a huge mistake

MK will end up ok because he is in a good situation and will still get a signing bonus over a mil but he cost himself some money also

Lofton as it turns out made a great decision cus I dont know that he would ever be a 1st rounder, maybe at best one of the last few picks of the 1st rd

soonerfan28
4/28/2008, 02:40 PM
I think it's kind of ironic that the guy that probably needed the money the most was picked highest. I have to agree that Lofton made a great decision to come out. I still don't see Reggie starting in SF. I hope he does and I hope I'm wrong.