PDA

View Full Version : the beatles

King Crimson
4/26/2008, 06:53 PM
i can't do it that often (due to a misspent childhood of spinning them platters to overkill) but i will say that Revolver is great.

if there's a better start to a record than the stop/start dirty guitar and snare than Taxman....tell me. or let me tell you how it will be....

tbl
4/26/2008, 10:34 PM
Nobody can doubt the greatness of Revolver, but Abbey Road would still be my desert island album.

Flagstaffsooner
4/26/2008, 10:40 PM
http://www.stevesbeatles.com/cds/album-covers/sgt_pepper.jpg
Olevet is on the cover of this one.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/26/2008, 11:08 PM
i can't do it that often (due to a misspent childhood of spinning them platters to overkill) but i will say that Revolver is great.

if there's a better start to a record than the stop/start dirty guitar and snare than Taxman....tell me. or let me tell you how it will be....

The beginning that always intrigued me is that of Sexy Sadie - the piano followed by a hearty rat-a-tat-tat. The guitar play at the end of the song is just too cool as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYck2B_0-DI

Here is how to play the damned thing (too hard for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDT_dKry_s

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/26/2008, 11:14 PM
Nobody can doubt the greatness of Revolver, but Abbey Road would still be my desert island album.Overall, maybe Sgt Pepper, but the one side of Abbey Road (you know which side) is their best album side, IMO.

King Crimson
4/27/2008, 12:56 PM
side 1 or 3 of the White Album for me.

I like Help! a lot too.

King Crimson
4/27/2008, 12:59 PM
Billy Preston, ftw. Lennon is out of tune, and George picks it up mightily.

YVT_KRRwH0M&feature=related

4/27/2008, 01:03 PM
WHAT A BAND!!!

tbl
4/27/2008, 10:10 PM
The beginning that always intrigued me is that of Sexy Sadie - the piano followed by a hearty rat-a-tat-tat. The guitar play at the end of the song is just too cool as well.

One of my favorite songs ever... Although its extremely difficult to have favorite Beatles songs since there really are so many... but this one is definitely up there.

MASSIVE spek for the "how to" link. I never have sat down long enough to try and figure it out by ear (though guitar is where my real knack is for playing by ear), but no sheet music for the song (that I've found) have the intro. Seriously... that's awesome.

tbl
4/27/2008, 10:12 PM
Oh my gosh.... I'm looking through all this guys "how to's"... Very nice! Some of that stuff is impossible for basic piano players like me. I think I can handle Sexy Sadie, but the piano solo for Lovely Rita is ridiculous.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/28/2008, 11:21 AM
beatles = teh succ

dolemitesooner
4/28/2008, 11:40 AM
Revolver is amazing.

Taxman followed by Elinor rigby (which is by far my favorite beatles song) is an amazing 1 2 punch.

I like the white album the most tho. Then revolver

Rocky Racoon for the win

dolemitesooner
4/28/2008, 11:41 AM
beatles = teh succ
I hope your being a smartass

TUSooner
4/28/2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, Revolver is excellent.
But I listened to Abbey Rd from start to finish while on a soccer trip last month, and I loved every minute right down to "some day I'm gonna make her mine."

4/28/2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, Revolver is excellent.
But I listened to Abbey Rd from start to finish while on a soccer trip last month, and I loved every minute right down to "some day I'm gonna make her mine."Any better band...evar?(I think Yes and Led Zepp are contenders)

Animal Mother
4/28/2008, 01:14 PM
You can fit the full (British) versions of "Rubber Soul' and "Revolver" on one burned CD with room left for "I Feel Fine” ‘She’s A Woman” and “I’m Down”. That is a great way to listen to the Beatles “expand” as a band. I would say Revolver is my favorite especially when considering their understanding of technology in 1966 and how much it had grown by “Abbey Road”. Also, Capitol Records punked all of us in the States by releasing “Yesterday and Today” and getting more of my cash which at nine years old was not abundant. The Lennon songs left off “Rubber Soul” and “Revolver” was some of his best work.40 plus years later I still expect to hear "I'm Only Sleeping" right after "Drive My Car" plays off "Rubber Soul".

tbl
4/28/2008, 01:16 PM
Any better band...evar?(I think Yes and Led Zepp are contenders)

There are no contenders. That's not to say there aren't scores of great bands, but there will never be another band in the same realm as the Beatles.

If there were, Yes would definitely not be one of them. ;)

King Crimson
4/28/2008, 01:21 PM
what's amazing is that in 1967-68 the Beatles released 8 album sides: Peppers, MM Tour, and the White Album....and a slew of unincorporated singles....Rain, Lady Madonna, Revolution, Ballad of John and Yoko, etc. compare that to the production of today's "super groups" like U2.

i think Lennon's best stuff is on the White Album*. JMO.

*with special nods to Day Tripper, She Said, Come Together, She's so Heavy, Hey (You've Got to Hide Your Love Away), etc.

soonermix
4/28/2008, 01:32 PM
i don't find the greatness of the beatles that most people do i do like a few songs here and there but for the most part i don't see what all the hub bub is about i guess i am going to have to chalk this one up to before my time

4/28/2008, 01:44 PM
There are no contenders. That's not to say there aren't scores of great bands, but there will never be another band in the same realm as the Beatles.

If there were, Yes would definitely not be one of them. ;)Well, music taste is SO subjective, but IMO Yes has at least 4 albums that are Fantastic and Amazing. For me, their stuff is so good that they really do challenge the Beatles for #1 in my book. Zeppelin too.

soonerinabilene
4/28/2008, 01:52 PM

Why do you hate Nickelback?;)

King Crimson
4/28/2008, 01:56 PM
one of my jr. high school friends once told me "men without hats are the next Beatles".

i knew then, at 15 years old, that i was glad that statement hadn't been issued from my mouth.

TUSooner
4/28/2008, 04:04 PM
one of my jr. high school friends once told me "men without hats are the next Beatles".

i knew then, at 15 years old, that i was glad that statement hadn't been issued from my mouth.

The road to obscurity is paved with "the next Beatles."

KC//CRIMSON
4/28/2008, 05:43 PM

If there were, Yes would definitely not be one of them. ;)

The only real contenders are The Rolling Stones.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/28/2008, 05:49 PM
TUS' top 2 most hated bands:

1. oasis
2. beatles

The Monkeys were much better.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/28/2008, 07:05 PM
What distinguishes the Beatles is the yin-yang nature of Lennon and McCartney - in their songwriting, in their personalities, and even in their vocals/harmonizing. A unity of opposites.

I'm really sorry I missed this tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7_NAElaYR0

Give the drummer an honorary Beatles patch!

sooneron
4/28/2008, 07:57 PM
For better or worse, they should be credited with the first music videos

2LoYM5OWIqI&feature=related

sooneron
4/28/2008, 08:01 PM
Underrated-
wBe85UKa1GQ&feature=related

MR2-Sooner86
4/28/2008, 08:06 PM
i don't find the greatness of the beatles that most people do i do like a few songs here and there but for the most part i don't see what all the hub bub is about i guess i am going to have to chalk this one up to before my time

They were a good bad BUT they were at the right place at the right time. They came here with their long hair and helped fuel the powder keg of a social revolution that the 60's was to become. They were the bad that helped usher in rock and roll to a new level. They were the band of the baby boomers.

sooneron
4/28/2008, 08:12 PM
:rolleyes:
Yeah, they were good, but not great. They didn't change anything, the way that records were made, the way that bands were marketed, the way that people listened to music...

some people need to leave revisionist history to the actual historians...

texas bandman
4/28/2008, 10:35 PM
I remember that Michael Hennagan played Eleanor Rigby in a graduate music theory class I had. He loved the irregular phrasing.

I knew the beatles were great but I never expected to have a serious music discussion about theirmusic. It made me go back and delve into their music on a deeper level

Mixer!
4/29/2008, 08:29 AM
TUS' top 2 most hated bands:

1. oasis
2. beatles

The Monkeys were much better.
I appreciate a good wry, sarcastic board gimmick as much as the next poster, including the deliberate misspelling; but come on, it's been done to death already.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/29/2008, 09:24 AM
I appreciate a good wry, sarcastic board gimmick as much as the next poster, including the deliberate misspelling; but come on, it's been done to death already.

You're just saying that because I don't show the same butt love for the beatles as everyone else.

Animal Mother
4/29/2008, 12:54 PM
You're just saying that because I don't show the same butt love for the beatles as everyone else.

It's not our fault all your taste is in your mouth.

Mixer!
4/29/2008, 01:36 PM

Just...

wow.

tbl
4/29/2008, 07:20 PM
What distinguishes the Beatles is the yin-yang nature of Lennon and McCartney - in their songwriting, in their personalities, and even in their vocals/harmonizing. A unity of opposites.

I'm really sorry I missed this tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7_NAElaYR0

Give the drummer an honorary Beatles patch!

After missing Page/Plant, there was no way I was missing this one. It was awesome.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/29/2008, 07:27 PM
My fifth grade daughter was given an assignment to construct a biographical report and presentation on someone famous who is dead and was born before 1950. Most of her classmates picked a former U.S. President.

I can't tell you how proud I was that my daughter chose (with no suggestions from me) John Lennon.

Her school occasionally has special dress up days like Hawaiian Day, Sports Day, Pajama Day, etc. Last year they had Sixties Day. My daughter wanted some circular wire-rimmed glasses: John Lennon glasses, she called them. She asked me if I knew who John Lennon was. I showed her a song or two from my Ed Sullivan DVD and a You Tube clip of Instant Karma (in which he's wearing said glasses).

So today, for her report, she picked up a copy of John's Secret Dreams: The Life of John Lennon, from the school library. Apparently our public schools are doing something right.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0786808179.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

tbl
4/29/2008, 07:34 PM
This thread brings out an element I truly do not understand: those that do not recognize the greatness that is the Beatles. Songwriting, harmonies, amazing musical skills (those that want to doubt Ringo's skills need to pick up a set of sticks), lyrics (John in particular)... the list goes on.

I was born 3 years before John Lennon was murdered, so age and generation have nothing to do with it (though I understand the old timers that hate them, just like they hate ALL rock and roll bands).

Being a musician has nothing to do with it either, as I know plenty of people that don't play music that can acknowledge how amazing they were (though I do believe that being a musician does help to appreciate the genius involved in their songwriting).

I just don't understand you people. I really think a lot of people think all there is to the Beatles is She Loves You and Can't Buy Me Love. They've never dug into the catalog and really listened to the multitude of great songs. Those that have listened to every album and still don't like them, well I suppose there's just no hope for you. ;)

4/29/2008, 07:49 PM
This thread brings out an element I truly do not understand: those that do not recognize the greatness that is the Beatles. Songwriting, harmonies, amazing musical skills (those that want to doubt Ringo's skills need to pick up a set of sticks), lyrics (John in particular)... the list goes on.

I was born 3 years before John Lennon was murdered, so age and generation have nothing to do with it (though I understand the old timers that hate them, just like they hate ALL rock and roll bands).

Being a musician has nothing to do with it either, as I know plenty of people that don't play music that can acknowledge how amazing they were (though I do believe that being a musician does help to appreciate the genius involved in their songwriting).

I just don't understand you people. I really think a lot of people think all there is to the Beatles is She Loves You and Can't Buy Me Love. They've never dug into the catalog and really listened to the multitude of great songs. Those that have listened to every album and still don't like them, well I suppose there's just no hope for you. ;)They were always good, but went to a whole nuvver level with Revolver, then even got progressively more genius with each successive album. At least til "Let It Be". They topped out with Abbey Road. Didn't go too much longer as a band, breaking up in what, 1970? I've never been a musician, but have been a great lover of music, always had lots of it, and remember well when I first heard "Sgt Pepper" OMG!

SanJoaquinSooner
5/2/2010, 09:35 PM
I honestly believe hundreds of years from now, the Beatles will be placed in popular music history as Plato was to philosophy.

5/2/2010, 10:24 PM

If there were, Yes would definitely not be one of them. ;)music is subjective, so you're forgotten.

yermom
5/2/2010, 10:36 PM
i'd be wiling to bet any band you love making music now listened to the Beatles

i wouldn't quite say the same about Zeppelin and the Stones, but it's close

delhalew
5/2/2010, 10:37 PM
I typically have the Revolver and Abbey Road tandem flopping back and forth for pole position.
I agree with Juan totally:eek: about the opposite polarity of John and Paul.
Also, good post tbl. I was born in 1975 and dove into my dad's mammoth collection of vinyl when I was just a child and came out with a love of The Beatles...along with a lot of other bands I consider myself lucky to have found at such an early age.

5/2/2010, 10:42 PM
I stand by my choice of "Martha my Dear", as a contender for fave Beatles song.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/2/2010, 10:54 PM
I agree with Juan totally:eek: about the opposite polarity of John and Paul.

Miracles do happen.

picasso
5/2/2010, 11:08 PM

Damn, Charlie Masnon ruined that song for me.

A Sooner in Texas
5/2/2010, 11:18 PM
Overall, maybe Sgt Pepper, but the one side of Abbey Road (you know which side) is their best album side, IMO.

We have bipartisan agreement on this point. :D

5/2/2010, 11:29 PM
We have bipartisan agreement on this point. :D Thank allah for music, eh?

TUSooner
5/3/2010, 06:36 AM
After I first heard Abbey Road, esp. side 2, I was hooked on the Beatles. Even though this was after they broke up, I basically quit listening to other rock or pop bands. Sure, I may have missed out on a few good tunes, but nobody could come close to the Beatles, so why waste time? No band can match them today, either.

Jacie
5/3/2010, 07:00 AM
I was in the fifth grade when the Beatles' music hit and I knew then that this band was something different and that was just from hearing I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

After they became big, every band for 10 years wanted to be the Beatles and every band since has been influenced by them so to say they didn't change the music world is terribly naive.

The Rolling Stones were seen as their rival early on and for a few years Stones albums were considered the yin to the Beatles' yang but Mick and Keith's legacy is largely based on longevity anymore. True afficionados should go and compare early Beatles to Stones albums year-by-year to see what I mean.

When Let It Be was released, we all knew that was it, the end of a story. What band has ever done that? Then for all of them to continue to have successful (some more than others) musical careers is unique among rock bands. Lennon's status is as iconic as any music great. There can never be another band coming close to what the Beatles represent.

My personal fave: A Day in the Life

Sooner04
5/3/2010, 09:00 AM
I wanted a girl,
or shall I say,
she wanted me.

TUSooner
5/3/2010, 09:03 AM
I wanted a girl,
or shall I say,
she wanted me.

I think it's,
"I once had a girl
Or should I say,
She once had me."

Spek nonetheless for reminding me of another great song I haven't heard in too long a time.

5/3/2010, 09:08 AM
I think it's,
"I once had a girl
Or should I say,
She once had me."

Spek nonetheless for reminding me of another great song I haven't heard in too long a time.You are the Eggman!

TUSooner
5/3/2010, 09:13 AM
One reason the Beatles are unmatchable is that they made such a wide variety of music and used so many different sounds and combinations of sounds. By contrast, other bands seem 2-dimensional.

And not liking the Beatles is punishment enough in itself. :D

sooneron
5/3/2010, 09:28 AM
One reason the Beatles are unmatchable is that they made such a wide variety of music and used so many different sounds and combinations of sounds. By contrast, other bands seem 2-dimensional.

And not liking the Beatles is punishment enough in itself. :D

This is why I like Something. It seems like more than one song.

C&CDean
5/3/2010, 09:52 AM
Abbey Road is still my favorite Beatles album.

I was fortunate enough to grow up while the Beatles were going through all of their morphing.

I remember listening to them on the AM radio at the base swimming pool in the mid-60's. I remember them going into all the maharishi crap, the whole "Paul's dead" deal (who remembers all the stuff about the Abbey Road album cover giving proof that Paul was dead?), the whole psychedelic phase, etc. I remember Charlie Manson and Helter Skelter.

Paul McCartney can still bring it today. If you ever get a chance to check him out, do it.

Of the four, Lennon was my least favorite, and I have to say I can't even sit through most of Lennon's solo stuff. I guess the whole Yoko deal soured me or something. Yoko ****ed up the Beatles.

delhalew
5/3/2010, 10:02 AM
Abbey Road is still my favorite Beatles album.

I was fortunate enough to grow up while the Beatles were going through all of their morphing.

I remember listening to them on the AM radio at the base swimming pool in the mid-60's. I remember them going into all the maharishi crap, the whole "Paul's dead" deal (who remembers all the stuff about the Abbey Road album cover giving proof that Paul was dead?), the whole psychedelic phase, etc. I remember Charlie Manson and Helter Skelter.

Paul McCartney can still bring it today. If you ever get a chance to check him out, do it.

Of the four, Lennon was my least favorite, and I have to say I can't even sit through most of Lennon's solo stuff. I guess the whole Yoko deal soured me or something. Yoko ****ed up the Beatles.

The post Beatles era was interesting. John had some amazing gems in his solo career, but I think Paul had him beat with Wings. I have them all on vinyl, but I just bought Wingspan for mobile listening.

Sooner04
5/3/2010, 10:26 AM
I think it's,
"I once had a girl
Or should I say,
She once had me."

Spek nonetheless for reminding me of another great song I haven't heard in too long a time.
My God, I sing that song to myself all the time (doing yardwork, walking the golf course, etc.) and I've been misquoting the lyrics each and every time. How humiliating. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

I'm not going to screw up the next line, though!

She showed me her room,
isn't it good
Norwegian wood.

With the sitar, no less, just because it sounded right. Those guys were so good it's frightening.

Sooner04
5/3/2010, 10:28 AM
Lennon is such an interesting character. Some of the stuff he did with the Beatles is just mind-boggling. Dreaming up a timeless song like "I Am the Walrus" just because he was tired of people looking for hidden meanings in Bealtes songs? C'mon, how crazy is that?

The real shame of Lennon is that he was back in a good frame of mind when he was murdered. "Double Fantasy" had just come out and there was some REALLY good stuff on there. To think he was only 40 years old....

delhalew
5/3/2010, 10:29 AM
In recent years, there have been some good articles regarding the demise of the Beatles.
Clearly Paul was, in his own way, a bit of an egotist. The striking thing to me is the degree to which John was owned by his insecurities. I feel John is responsible for the lions share of the Beatles "best", but Paul was so prolific. Every time he took a **** he wrote a great song. John couldn't keep up, and it made him quite the a-hole.
John clearly saw Yoko as his muse and liberator, but I think that relationship drove an isolationist and scorched earth policy in his other relationships.
The fascinating thing to me is to imagine being George in this power struggle. Ringo accepted his role and delt, but George was swept up and carried away by the John/Paul power struggle tsunami.
It's a hell of a story.

Sooner04
5/3/2010, 10:37 AM
Oh, and one last thing.

The greatest rock-n-roll song ever written wasn't even released as a single here in America. It's #3 on the "With the Beatles" album, and it's the first song they performed on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was also the song playing over the speakers at Roosevelt Hospital when John Lennon was pronounced dead.

I'm speaking, of course, of "All My Loving".

iBnJjkcJir0

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 10:45 AM
The Beatles suck. Their songs suck. I hate them.

Sooner04
5/3/2010, 10:45 AM
The Beatles suck. Their songs suck. I hate them.Now I KNOW they're great.

TUSooner
5/3/2010, 11:57 AM
The Beatles suck. Their songs suck. I hate them.

Now I KNOW I never need to take you seriously again. Thanks for confirming that! :D

TUSooner
5/3/2010, 11:58 AM
My cousin just saw Paul at the Hollywood Bowl. He said it was "a Beatles show" and that it was awesome: more than 2 & 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music from Paul. No break, No warm-up act, just great music

5/3/2010, 12:11 PM
Now I KNOW I never need to take you seriously again. Thanks for confirming that! :DWow, Eggman, what's wrong with that Lizard, anyway?

5/3/2010, 12:13 PM
My cousin just saw Paul at the Hollywood Bowl. He said it was "a Beatles show" and that it was awesome: more than 2 & 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music from Paul. No break, No warm-up act, just great musicHe played in PHX fairly recently. If I had known he was just going to do Beatles stuff, I would Shirley have gone, dangit!

yermom
5/3/2010, 12:25 PM
i regret not seeing him the last time he came through here

even just hearing some Beatles stuff would have been great

Sooner04
5/3/2010, 01:39 PM
My cousin just saw Paul at the Hollywood Bowl. He said it was "a Beatles show" and that it was awesome: more than 2 & 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music from Paul. No break, No warm-up act, just great music
I saw him in Tulsa last August. Nearly three hours of music. Whenever the band would require a break Paul would just go up front with the acoustic and play "Yesterday" or "Blackbird".

It was absolutely awesome.

SouthFortySooner
5/3/2010, 03:02 PM
My first trip to Jerry World. Paul. It was like listening to the Grand Canyon. Your ears hear it but they can't believe.

Jacie
5/3/2010, 08:40 PM
Yoko ****ed up the Beatles.

That was what people used to think but it was really Linda who caused of the breakup . . .

delhalew
5/3/2010, 10:08 PM
That was what people used to think but it was really Linda who caused of the breakup . . .
IMHO. It goes way deeper than that. I blame John, and not entirely because of Yoko.
To go deeper than that, just like a marriage, John and Paul needed to communicate better in the end. They were both too busy being butthurt.

Crucifax Autumn
5/3/2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah...Blaming the chicks is weak. If they had maintained their friendship and working relationship as the years went on they would have made it past "chick crap".

5/3/2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah...Blaming the chicks is weak. If they had maintained their friendship and working relationship as the years went on they would have made it past "chick crap".Could be they just got tired and wanted a change. They were prolly all set financially by that time, so not as driven as they once were. Just a guess.

Sooner04
5/4/2010, 09:09 AM
Could be they just got tired and wanted a change. They were prolly all set financially by that time, so not as driven as they once were. Just a guess.
I don't know. After "Let It Be" broke down they had the drive to go back into the studio and give their all for one more album. When you've got enough drive to make "Abbey Road" as good as it was then you obviously still have plenty left in the tank.

1. Drugs
2. Egos
3. Chicks
4. No Brian Epstein

TopDawg
5/4/2010, 09:56 AM
Y'all are talking about that XBOX game, right?

Jacie
5/4/2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah...Blaming the chicks is weak. If they had maintained their friendship and working relationship as the years went on they would have made it past "chick crap".

Everyone thinks John wanted to bring Yoko into the group but it was Paul wanting Linda to be included that was the last straw.

While both of them went on to record with their spouses, Yoko's contribution to John's post-Beatles work was much less than what Paul did with Mrs. McCartney.

TUSooner
5/4/2010, 10:52 AM
I don't know. After "Let It Be" broke down they had the drive to go back into the studio and give their all for one more album. When you've got enough drive to make "Abbey Road" as good as it was then you obviously still have plenty left in the tank.

1. Drugs
2. Egos
3. Chicks
4. No Brian Epstein

Really. If Abbey Road is what you produce when you are out of gas, everybody needs to be out gas.

I'd rate the causes this way:
1. No Brian Epstein
2. Egos
3. Chicks
4. Drugs

5/4/2010, 11:50 AM
Really. If Abbey Road is what you produce when you are out of gas, everybody needs to be out gas.

1. No Brian Epstein
2. Egos
3. Chicks
4. Drugs What do Jews know about the entertainment business, anyway?

ndpruitt03
5/4/2010, 12:01 PM

1. No Brian Epstein
2. Egos
3. Chicks
4. Drugs

This is probably accurate. When Epstein died, they didn't even know how to book studio dates. They were already starting to go different ways by the mid 60s. White Album was just a bunch of solo material by each member of the band really.

My favorite Beatles songs: Here There and Everywhere, Long Long Long, Run For Your Life, I Want You(She's So Heavy), and For No One

delhalew
5/4/2010, 03:01 PM
Seriously, we don't have to guess about this anymore. Look for a rolling stone article from last year. Spells it out in great detail.

5/4/2010, 03:03 PM
Seriously, we don't have to guess about this anymore. Look for a rolling stone article from last year. Spells it out in great detail.Got the link, or care to give the main points?

tbl
5/7/2010, 02:45 PM

1. No Brian Epstein
2. Egos
3. Chicks
4. Drugs

This is probably closest to accurate... but I think there are factors there that nobody outside of that group could understand. I mean, they were the BEATLES. Can you imagine what that was like and the mindscrew that Beatle-mania would give you?

I'm sure money would play into the list too (probably under the "ego" umbrella).

It's impossible to list my favorite Beatles song as that constantly changes... I can however name the worst...

The Long and Winding Road
Without a doubt the worst Beatles song ever, possibly post Beatles career as well (I'm even including the Ebony and Ivory years). I know there are people that think it's a beautiful melody and lyrically poetic... but I personally find zero appeal to it whatsoever. Just a horrible, horrible, song.

5/7/2010, 02:49 PM
It's impossible to list my favorite Beatles song as that constantly changes... I can however name the worst...

The Long and Winding Road
Without a doubt the worst Beatles song ever, possibly post Beatles career as well (I'm even including the Ebony and Ivory years). I know there are people that think it's a beautiful melody and lyrically poetic... but I personally find zero appeal to it whatsoever. Just a horrible, horrible, song.Revolution #9 wasn't all that pfabulous, nor was some of their real early stuff.

ndpruitt03
5/7/2010, 02:52 PM
Early Beatles(pre Rubber Soul) isn't as good but there's some good stuff here and there. She's a Woman, I'll Follow the Sun, Till there was You are a few of my favorites.

Sooner04
5/7/2010, 03:29 PM
7pWU1PYiFJ8

TUSooner
5/7/2010, 03:37 PM
Seriously, we don't have to guess about this anymore. Look for a rolling stone article from last year. Spells it out in great detail.

That would be cheating by SO standards.
We like our arguments untainted by accurate information!

Pay attention! :rolleyes:

:)

ndpruitt03
5/7/2010, 03:40 PM
Another solid early Beatles song
H1WytU0yZwI

Sooner04
5/7/2010, 03:48 PM
Oh, I looked around and was unable to find the RS article mentioned on here earlier.

delhalew
5/7/2010, 07:27 PM
Rolling stone's site sucks. They don't have their articles available and plan on charging for access to their archives. Here are photos from the article.

http://m.rollingstone.com/music/photos/;kw=[12856,50921,0]

Here is an article about the article to prove I didn't make it up.
http://www.examiner.com/x-14721-Boston-Music-Examiner~y2009m8d29-Why-The-Beatles-broke-up

tbl
5/8/2010, 09:37 AM
Revolution #9 wasn't all that pfabulous, nor was some of their real early stuff.

I wouldn't consider Rev9 a song, but I'd still rather listen to that than TLAWR, plus most of their early stuff is pretty much awesome.

ndpruitt03
5/8/2010, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't consider Rev9 a song, but I'd still rather listen to that than TLAWR, plus most of their early stuff is pretty much awesome.

Disagree their stuff didn't get really good till about Rubber Soul. There's a few good songs here and there but Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road you basically didn't have a bad song.

5/8/2010, 01:12 PM
Disagree their stuff didn't get really good till about Rubber Soul. There's a few good songs here and there but Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road you basically didn't have a bad song.well said