PDA

View Full Version : I Have Teh Shingles

VeeJay
4/25/2008, 07:09 AM
Last week it started with back pain. Urgent care clinic said it wasn't kidney related (my fear) and I had just sprained or pulled a back muscle. Next day big red marks started appearing along my waist line and hip. It's a re-emergence of chicken pox which I remember well having when I was five years old.

I have oxycodone; you don't.

Let the copycat threads begin.

Okla-homey
4/25/2008, 07:12 AM
I feel ya. One of my AF pals got that shat two years ago and he was absolutely miserable for about a month. He just laid around shirtless and moaned a lot.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/25/2008, 07:25 AM
prayers for you...I ve had a few family members that have dealt with that before....Have you been stressed?

swardboy
4/25/2008, 07:53 AM
I thought a heavy childhood case of chicken pox usually insured you wouldn't experience shingles as an adult, but I'm hearing more and more of cases like yours.

Hope it's very temporary...

VeeJay
4/25/2008, 07:58 AM
Doc last night asked me if I've been stressed. I said well, no more than at any time during the last year. Our house in FL has been on the market for a year, so we're carrying a mortgage and a rent here in NC, and my family is not moving here until June. So what's there to be stressed over?

Mrs. VJ visited here for a week and the day after she left is when this started. Should I get rid of her?

Mjcpr
4/25/2008, 08:10 AM
Best thing for those are messicans.

OUDoc
4/25/2008, 08:23 AM
Good luck, veej, shingles (and Mjcpr) really suck.

Scott D
4/25/2008, 09:27 AM
I feel ya. One of my AF pals got that shat two years ago and he was absolutely miserable for about a month. He just laid around shirtless and moaned a lot.

damn he was a ******* *****. I had that stuff when I was 12, still have some scars from it. It hurt, but the pain was tolerable enough not to moan about it. And that was back when Tylenol 3 was the strongest stuff they'd give you. People in pain now have it so easy..damn whinny crybabbies ;)

Fraggle145
4/25/2008, 09:34 AM
I got teh Shingles in 9th grade... It sucked monkey balls. Ya it was during the middle of wrestling season, making it suck worse.

VeeJay
4/25/2008, 10:05 AM
Redneck Bubba walks into a brand new shiny medical clinic and walks up to the window. Receptionist opens the window and says "May I help you?"

Bubba says "I have shingles." Receptionist hands him a clipboard and asks him to fill out the form. Bubba brings it back to the window a few minutes later and the receptionist asks him to wait a couple of minutes.

Nurse comes out and brings Bubba back into a room. "What are you here for?" she asks. Bubba tells her "I have shingles." She takes his temperature, blood pressure and says "Everything looks normal. Take off all your clothes and the doctor will be in in a few minutes."

Bubba strips down. Couple of minutes later doc walks in and sees big ol' redneck Bubba sitting there buck nekkid and says "how can I help you?" Bubba says "I have shingles." Doc looks again and sees nothing. "Where?"

Bubba: "On the truck. Where do you want 'em?"

Tulsa_Fireman
4/25/2008, 11:14 AM
So if you never had chicken pox, I'm assuming you'll never get shingles?

I swear, I'm gonna be an 80 year old man and die of chicken pox.

VeeJay
4/25/2008, 11:18 AM
I was planning on going to FL next weekend. My eight year old has never had the pox. I don't want to be responsible for her getting it, so I probably won't go. Yes, from what I understand someone's who's never had it can indeed catch it from you.

BigRedJed
4/25/2008, 12:14 PM
I had them on one of my upper thighs when I was 17, during summer vacation. Sucked monkey balls. For the first few days, my folks figured it was poison ivy. I had no idea what poison ivy felt like (still don't), so I didn't argue. It became clear fairly soon that it was NOT poison ivy, so they took me to a doctor. Cortisone shot in the backside and I was all better in a couple of days. But dang it hurt while it was there.

Oh, and I distictly remember that the nurse who administered the shot was only a few years older than me, in my estimation, and SMOKING hot. Being a virginal teenager and all, I was incredibly embarrassed to have to show her my butt. And I think my embarrassment might have also been compounded by having one of those inopportune-time chubbies that 17 year old boys get.

Overall, a miserable experience.

swardboy
4/25/2008, 12:25 PM
I was planning on going to FL next weekend. My eight year old has never had the pox. I don't want to be responsible for her getting it, so I probably won't go. Yes, from what I understand someone's who's never had it can indeed catch it from you.

"Prevailing" wisdom used to be that you wanted your kids to be exposed to chicken pox so that they WOULD get it.....A light case or no case at all as a child is supposed to heighten the potential for shingles as an adult.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/25/2008, 12:28 PM
I thought a heavy childhood case of chicken pox usually insured you wouldn't experience shingles as an adult, but I'm hearing more and more of cases like yours.

Hope it's very temporary...

Just the opposite. Having chicken pox is a requirement to get shingles. Something like 80% likelihood to get shingles if you had cp.

leavingthezoo
4/25/2008, 12:55 PM
man, i feel terrible for you! i got shingles when i was 12. yes, 12. and right across my face. it's the most painful experience i've ever gone through, and now i have nice scars for show and tell.

there's really no way to get comfortable, but when the pain DOES subside... you'll feel a whole new level of non-pain. Heh.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/25/2008, 01:26 PM
I got the shingles about 3 years ago. I was 26 then and had chicken pox when a kid. It is the succ and my back still itches in the spots that I had them.

Yes, I was stressed then. I had just gotten married, moved to Dallas and started a new job.

Melo
4/25/2008, 02:05 PM
I have oxycodone

So uh...
How much you wanna sell those bad boys for?
;) ;) :D

StoopTroup
4/25/2008, 03:46 PM
Shingles is why I always try and avoid doorknobs, public toilet seats and shaking hands with strange Women. :D

StoopTroup
4/25/2008, 03:47 PM
So uh...

Is your training still going that bad? :D ;)

:pop:

OUDoc
4/25/2008, 03:49 PM
So uh...

So disappointed in young Melo.......

:)

GrapevineSooner
4/25/2008, 04:32 PM
Went through the hell last December that you're going through. Originally thought it was an allergic reaction from some high dosage cough medicine our family allergist had given us, so I got to spend the entire night at Urgent Care the same night OU whipped Mizzou for the Big 12 title in San Antonio. This was after the allergist diagnosed it as an ear infection.

Got a couple shots in the ***, went home after the "rash" subsided on my face and on my head above the hair line, woke up the next day and the rash returned. So it was off to Baylor Grapevine where my condition was accurately diagnosed when the nurse just so happened to notice that the rash was contained to one side of my face.

Got a few days off work, but since I was contagious, my wife and child spent the next two days are her parents house. Pain was annoying and while I have no more scars, I still occasionally get pain right by my ear.

Which is to say, teh shingles is teh succor.

badger
4/25/2008, 05:53 PM
I think we've all had teh chikn pox, but far worse is the non-deadly disease of mononucleosis. My goodness, you'll never feel more drained, even after running the OKC marathon :D

Get well :)

soonerbrat
4/25/2008, 06:44 PM
ask for a prescription of valtrex. chickenpox is a herpes virus, and valtrex should help get rid of it faster

soonerbrat
4/25/2008, 06:46 PM
p.s. i DO have oxycodone....so there.

VeeJay
4/25/2008, 08:15 PM
ask for a prescription of valtrex. chickenpox is a herpes virus, and valtrex should help get rid of it faster

I started taking valtrex last night.

soonerbrat
4/25/2008, 08:28 PM
FANTASTIC!

hope you feel better soon..i hear that is pretty miserable.

r5TPsooner
4/25/2008, 09:04 PM
Are you taking Famvir?

Scott D
4/25/2008, 09:39 PM
damn them for no valtrex 20+ years ago :P

VeeJay
4/25/2008, 10:01 PM
Are you taking Famvir?

No, just valtrex. He also gave me oxy for the pain, but I haven't needed it yet. Hopefully I won't.

Then I can sell it to melo.

LoyalFan
4/25/2008, 10:47 PM
My late mother had a case of shingles (before she became late, dat is,) in/on her EYES fer krine owt lowd!

BTW, a pox on all of yew!

LF