PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question - Missed court date

Soonerborn03
4/24/2008, 08:22 PM
If you missed your court appointment here in Norman, what do you need to do?

I had a court appointment today and some things ran longer than they should have, and I missed it. I'm planning on dressing nice and getting to the court before 8 tomorrow morning to see if I can either pay it or set up another court date to make this thing go away.

How do these things usually work? On the paper they gave me, it said that a missed court appearance would mean that my license would be suspended and a warrant would be issued for my arrest. Is that something I am going to have to count on as a real possibility tomorrow morning.

Thanks for any help!

Jerk
4/24/2008, 08:27 PM

I had a court appointment today and some things ran longer than they should have, and I missed it. I'm planning on dressing nice and getting to the court before 8 tomorrow morning to see if I can either pay it or set up another court date to make this thing go away.

How do these things usually work? On the paper they gave me, it said that a missed court appearance would mean that my license would be suspended and a warrant would be issued for my arrest. Is that something I am going to have to count on as a real possibility tomorrow morning.

Thanks for any help!

Dude....

Soonerborn03
4/24/2008, 08:30 PM
Dude....Yep

olevetonahill
4/24/2008, 08:42 PM
City Court ?
Ticket ?

Soonerborn03
4/24/2008, 08:45 PM
City Court ?
Ticket ?City court

Failed to yield at a stop sign. Caused an accident with no injuries.

royalfan5
4/24/2008, 08:46 PM

Thanks for any help!

I'd start working on your soap handling skills. Just in case.

Jerk
4/24/2008, 08:49 PM
No one has given you any serious advice yet, so I'll take a stab at it:

Get an attorney, tomorrow morning.

Turd_Ferguson
4/24/2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.10-8supply.com/images/SW006.jpg
(http://www.weaponryonline.com/images/reviews/handcuffs/hinged-handcuffs.jpg)

Big Red Ron
4/24/2008, 08:53 PM
They have already filed a bench warrant. Best thing you can possibly do is go to court tomorrow and raise your hand and tell the judge your excuse. Pay your fine and everything will be okay. Wait till Monday and you'll find it even harder to convince the judge or prosecute.

Better yet, got to the prosecutor's office before court and tell him/her your story and you're ready to pay the fine.

TOMORROW

Soonerus
4/24/2008, 08:54 PM
Just call one of the city attorneys tomorrow and offer to pay...it will all be fine, no need to go to the courthouse tomorrow, you'll be OK...

Whet
4/24/2008, 08:56 PM
They do sell soap-on-a-rope!

Soonerborn03
4/24/2008, 09:04 PM
Just call one of the city attorneys tomorrow and offer to pay...it will all be fine, no need to go to the courthouse tomorrow, you'll be OK...I meant I was going to go to the municipal court that I was originally scheduled to meet at yesterday. From there, I can pay the fine.

Thanks for the answers guys. It's much appreciated.

Soonerus
4/24/2008, 09:39 PM
I meant I was going to go to the municipal court that I was originally scheduled to meet at yesterday. From there, I can pay the fine.

Thanks for the answers guys. It's much appreciated.

Just call, on a failure to yield, no offense but you are not a priority...

SoonerInKCMO
4/24/2008, 09:45 PM
I've had a couple warrants issued for me for failure to show up and pay my speeding and parking tickets. Rus is right - just call 'em and ask where to send the fine.

Soonerus
4/24/2008, 09:49 PM
I've had a couple warrants issued for me for failure to show up and pay my speeding and parking tickets. Rus is right - just call 'em and ask where to send the fine.

Don't be afraid to ask them to cut you a deal, they might just do it...

JohnnyMack
4/24/2008, 10:55 PM
You're already screwed. You should go on an interstate crime spree. Shoot a lawyer or two while you're at it.

AlbqSooner
4/25/2008, 06:36 AM
You're already screwed. You should go on an interstate crime spree. Shoot a lawyer or two while you're at it.

But only those lawyers still practicing. :D

Soonerborn03
4/25/2008, 08:26 AM
UPDATE

I went in as they opened the window at the municipal court I was supposed to appear at yesterday. I paid the fine, and they scratched me off of the court list from yesterday. They didn't seem to act like it was a very big deal, so you guys were right in that prediction. So, it's a boring ending for anyone that read this thread, but a happy ending for me.

I'm just relieved I don't have to worry about my soap handling techniques. I've been on the liquid soap for a while, and I just don't know how strong and secure I would be if I had to go back to using bar of soap with that kind of pressure around me ;)

Edit:I didn't shoot any lawyers one the way either. My apologies for letting you down JohnnyMack

TUSooner
4/25/2008, 08:46 AM
Just call one of the city attorneys tomorrow and offer to pay...it will all be fine, no need to go to the courthouse tomorrow, you'll be OK...

Or better still, have Soonerus call for you, if you can afford him. ;)

OUDoc
4/25/2008, 09:12 AM
So, it's a boring ending for anyone that read this thread, but a happy ending for me.

You got a happy ending? Courts have changed since I last saw one. No wonder everyone wants to be a lawyer anymore.

Oldnslo
4/25/2008, 09:27 AM
Call to be sure that any warrants have been recalled. Nothing more fun than to be pulled over for your next ticket only to find that you have new travel plans.

like a one-way ticket to the sodomy factory.

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2008, 11:32 AM
Since nobody else has mentioned this...

Dude. You had a court date. What in the **** are you thinking that "Oh, jeez, my manicure is running late, I guess instead of leaving with my pinkie unvarnished I'll just skip it."?

OUDoc
4/25/2008, 11:35 AM
Since nobody else has mentioned this...

Dude. You had a court date. What in the **** are you thinking that "Oh, jeez, my manicure is running late, I guess instead of leaving with my pinkie unvarnished I'll just skip it."?

Yeah, we sorta skipped the mandatory "you better be dead or dying" if you missed your court date.

JohnnyMack
4/25/2008, 11:40 AM
What if he was getting a smoker?

OUDoc
4/25/2008, 12:15 PM
What if he was getting a smoker?

Do you mean a grill or favors from a hooker?

JohnnyMack
4/25/2008, 01:25 PM
The latter.

OUDoc
4/25/2008, 01:26 PM
That's an acceptable excuse.

Big Red Ron
4/25/2008, 03:38 PM
That's an acceptable excuse.Too bad Bill Clinton isn't still working in a prosecutor's office somewhere. ;)

StoopTroup
4/25/2008, 04:00 PM
I need a smoker.

But...

I'm afraid it might cost me a court date.

Sooner24
5/10/2008, 10:47 AM
Do you mean a grill or favors from a hooker?

Soonerborn03 is quite the ladies man and does not need a hooker. :cool:

sooner_born_1960
5/10/2008, 11:09 AM
Sounds like missing a manicure appointment would be more of a hassle.