PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Randy Estes?

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 02:53 PM
I know we were recruiting this kid back in I think '04 and then we realized he was headed down the track on the Willie Williams train and we got off. I think he signed with Washington State after giving a verbal to USC. I was just curious where he went after that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/23/2008, 03:04 PM
juco then wazzou

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/23/2008, 03:08 PM
hmm, looks like he never made it into school.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2003938085_withers100.html

here is an OU trivia question for you, there are at least 3 recruits in the blake/stoops era that follow the estes/cason scenario (highly touted bust/unoffered AA) can you name them?

SoonerDood
4/24/2008, 11:20 AM
is one Chris Patterson?

soonerfan28
4/24/2008, 01:35 PM
What about Fat Moe? I know Cody wasn't offered until he came to OU's camp with Brian Odom and that's when they noticed him.

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2008, 01:38 PM
The QB who ended up signing with Tech and never played a down so he could start his hair product company?

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, gotcha-you mean a kid that we offered who was highly-touted and turned out to be a bust when we decided to not offer another kid who ended up being a star?

I guess Rawls/Leinart might qualify, though I think Leinart was going to go to USC whether we recruited him harder or not-and I don't think Leinart was untouted in high school anyhow.

I don't know-those kinds of comparisons are a bit unfair. It's not like other coaches weren't after those same highly-touted kids, after all, so it's not like Blake/Stoops are completely to blame on that. Sometimes everyone just misses on a kid because the kid has already maxed his potential or has character issues that haven't become evident.

soonerfan28
4/24/2008, 01:50 PM
hmm, looks like he never made it into school.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2003938085_withers100.html

here is an OU trivia question for you, there are at least 3 recruits in the blake/stoops era that follow the estes/cason scenario (highly touted bust/unoffered AA) can you name them?

Were they high school teammates?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/24/2008, 01:58 PM
have to be high school teammates. all 3 occasions we took the lower touted kid from the school, all 3 occasions they ended up AAs while their teammates washed out.

for example...

andre woolfolk was one. he was only offered by us and csu but his teammate signed with texas only to get busted for writing bogus checks.

others
????/teammate signed with aTm
????/teammate signed with lsu i believe

rawls and leinart? they were basically ranked the same out of high school

Frozen Sooner
4/24/2008, 02:04 PM
Oh, gotcha.

I'm sure Derrick Strait is one of them. I know he was a two-star, though I thought that had more to do with his grades than with his actual perceived ability.

Quentin Griffin?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/25/2008, 01:42 PM
quentin griffin is the first he was a 1 star, teammate was a 4 star and signed with aTm. transferred after his freshman year i believe.

the second one is a WR.

Harry Beanbag
4/26/2008, 10:02 AM
Mark Clayton. Shirdonya Mitchell was higher rated I believe, but I thought he went to Missouri.

Stealth
4/27/2008, 08:06 PM
Curtis Fagan

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/28/2008, 02:08 PM
Mark Clayton. Shirdonya Mitchell was higher rated I believe, but I thought he went to Missouri.

clayton is correct, trying to search out stuff from 1999 is almost impossible.

SOS jr really wanted bj johnson but he committed to texas. he got a commitment from clayton and stated "i think he's the 3rd best WR in the state this year" (presumably behind johnson and roy williams). to this quote geoff ketchum replied - "mark clayton isn't even the 3rd best WR on his own TEAM, much less the state of texas." drew a ton of har hars from the texas fans, kind of embarrassing in retrospect.

Harry Beanbag
4/28/2008, 04:11 PM
clayton is correct, trying to search out stuff from 1999 is almost impossible.

SOS jr really wanted bj johnson but he committed to texas. he got a commitment from clayton and stated "i think he's the 3rd best WR in the state this year" (presumably behind johnson and roy williams). to this quote geoff ketchum replied - "mark clayton isn't even the 3rd best WR on his own TEAM, much less the state of texas." drew a ton of har hars from the texas fans, kind of embarrassing in retrospect.

Is there anything about Ketchum that isn't embarassing? :)