PDA

View Full Version : It all makes sense now

mdklatt
4/23/2008, 01:38 PM
Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments (http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp7761121.pdf)

Dunning-Kruger Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect)

In short: You don't know what you don't know. I've always wondered if dumbasses know that they're dumbasses. Answer: Probably not. Because they're dumbasses.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."

Query: Which is the better examplar of this phenomenon, the South Oval or the Football board? :pop: :D

OUDoc
4/23/2008, 01:45 PM
The internet in general.

mdklatt
4/23/2008, 01:47 PM
The internet in general.

Upon reflection, I'm willing to go as far as "all of human history".

Stoop Dawg
4/23/2008, 01:48 PM
In short: You don't know what you don't know. I've always wondered if dumbasses know that they're dumbasses. Answer: Probably not. Because they're dumbasses.

So am I still a dumbass if I know that I'm a dumbass? :confused:

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/23/2008, 01:49 PM
Clever people think they're clever.
Average people think they're average.
Dumb people think they're clever.

mdklatt
4/23/2008, 01:50 PM

No! Statistically, you're probably not a dumbass.

mdklatt
4/23/2008, 01:54 PM

In the journal article I linked to, they found that clever people thought they were average in the absence of any information about their peers. However, once they saw the dumbasses in action they were able to more accurately rank themselves. :D

Animal Mother
4/23/2008, 02:05 PM
Objectivity is subjective. Remember that and you’ll have many less problems than the rest of the “educated” world. (See MENSA)

“There are lies, damn lies and there are statistics.”
Benjamin Disraeli

Liars figure and figures lie.

All these tests and research are set up within parameters that make them inaccurate or at best pre-determined.

And last but not least remember.
“Hell is other people.”
Jean Paul Sartre.

Some call me a cynic. I call myself a realist. You can call me what you want, except aggie or whorn. Oh and don’t call me Johnson.

mdklatt
4/23/2008, 02:08 PM
How does one imporve their metacognitive skills?

By increasing his competence in the relevant field.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/23/2008, 04:49 PM
How does one imporve their metacognitive skills?

By improving their spelling and eliminating typos.

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 08:52 PM

You been playing with My Crayons ?:mad:

BigRedJed
4/23/2008, 09:19 PM
Man, that's fascinating. It makes me wonder if that is some sort of species adaptation, and what the purpose would be if it is. Perhaps people on the lower end of the spectrum need to just soldier ahead, rather than be frozen by self-doubt? And some introspective questioning on the part of the upper end thinkers makes for better decision-making at a high level of performance? I didn't get a chance to read the whole thing, but I'm intrigued. Beyond just identifying the phenomenon, did they try to answer the question of what purpose it serves?

texas bandman
4/23/2008, 10:41 PM
Having taught public school for 25 years, I am certain there are way too many dumb@sses in the world and most have no idea that they are dumb@sses. In fact, many of the dumb@sses and their families have the highest self-esteem and are the biggest pains in the @ss. They have no idea that they are clueless. Sometimes I just want to slap them silly!

yermom
4/23/2008, 11:00 PM
no one wants to admit that their kid is a dumbass

well, and they don't want to think that about themselves either

i'm a pretty smart guy, but i know people that are smarter

you guys don't know any of them though

Harry Beanbag
4/24/2008, 07:17 AM
I once had a manager that suffered from this affliction.

texas bandman
4/24/2008, 10:17 AM

So what does that make GWB? I know he thinks he's clever. (Sorry, your avatar made me do it:D )

yermom
4/24/2008, 10:27 AM
most managers suffer from this affliction.

fixed ;)

Animal Mother
4/24/2008, 05:17 PM
It's akin to the episode of "That 70s Show" where they're remembering when they were kids. Kelso says "I'm going to be a model". Hyde replies "You're mommy told that didn't she?" The dumbass doesn't fall far from the dumbass tree.Which is another TSS quote. My wife says I watch that show too much. I believe she is wrong. Anybody know where I can buy a lava lamp cheap????

Harry Beanbag
4/24/2008, 09:10 PM
fixed ;)

True, but this one was extra special. :)