PDA

View Full Version : Drug use way outta hand here in the MAC

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2008, 11:32 AM
I was talking with the manager of the new Chili's here in McAlester and was asking him why the opening was moved from Feb 1 to late March. He told me it was because out of the first 100 applicants, 12 passed the drug test. I was amazed at that number til talking to a local city leader who informed me when Lowe's came in, that only 150 of over 1000 applicants passed the test and the McAlester location was ran by employees from other cities until they could get enough locals hired.

If you drive past any businesses that are in the lower pay category, they all have hiring signs in front of them. Its been noticeably bad over the last couple of years and seems to be getting worse.

Lots of these businesses have upped their starting salaries to try and draw a better quality employee but it still remains a pretty big problem.

While the rest of this town celebrates finally bringing down two 80 year old brothers (only took 50 years for them to figure out what the Stipes were doing), I m thinking this place is in serious trouble.

OklahomaTuba
4/23/2008, 11:41 AM
The drug culture and the lack of education of these people will be the ruin of us all in time.

Until out culture gets back to the basics of family, faith, education and discipline, I am afraid we will go down a long slow road of decline where we no longer will be able to compete with folks in other countries.

ultimatesooner1
4/23/2008, 12:49 PM
it really depends on what kind of drugs they are failing the tests for. Someone with a little ganga in their system is still capable of bringing some crappy overpriced chilis's food to tables

dolemitesooner
4/23/2008, 12:54 PM
METHALESTER

NormanPride
4/23/2008, 12:56 PM
Isn't McAlester weed legendary? I heard that someone found a shirt with McAlester on it in Amsterdam. That may be a myth, though.

yermom
4/23/2008, 01:26 PM
Chili's was drug testing? really?

i guess i can kinda see Lowe's, but Chili's?

seems like someone is taking themselves a bit too seriously to me

and i'm not really sure what education and faith have to do with drug use or working at Chili's

Animal Mother
4/23/2008, 01:27 PM
Drug use isn’t due to too much faith, or too little faith or lack of family values. No one forces a person to imbibe drugs. It’s a choice, just like driving over the speed limit or shoplifting. Meth is a huge problem all through my home state of Oklahoma and the southwest U.S. I work for an energy company in Fort Worth and we can’t hire truck drivers in Oklahoma for the same “passing” reasons. Same goes for drivers here in texas.

trey
4/23/2008, 02:18 PM
don't drug test. problem solved.

Animal Mother
4/23/2008, 02:54 PM
don't drug test. problem solved.

Way to seperate the wheat from the chaff Trey.

the_ouskull
4/23/2008, 03:14 PM
Well, first of all, restaurants that drug test shouldn't be surprised that they're having trouble with hiring. Most restaurant employees are college-aged kids. It's like testing high school kids for rebellion and apathy.

Second, you're thinking of McCurtain County, not McAlester.

But, as for the world getting gradually dumber... It's real, folks. Don't believe the Flynn Effect. Believe in dysgenics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgenics

It's scary because it's true, not because it's funny. (And, being a public school teacher, it's not like I'm an UNinformed source at the grass(pun intended)roots level.

the_ouskull

yermom
4/23/2008, 03:22 PM
Mike Judge made a movie about this ;)

Chuck Bao
4/23/2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't mind hiring someone who occasionally smokes a bit of weed. But, not anyone on that meth stuff. That looks diabolical. Look what it did to the Wichita whores. I would refuse to eat the food, if they served it.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2008, 05:34 PM
Weed used to be the thing here..In fact at one point, there was more weed grown in this area than any other place in the country..

But meth is a huge problem now. Kids I went to school with who wouldnt even go drinking with us on the weekend are now so strung out you barely recognize them.

I guess whats frustrating is how this town turns its back on problems and tries to ignore it..I mean our city manager was stealing from the city for 20 years and nobody did anything about it. He was paid for 300 days of vacation in a 365 day period. The Stipes have been up to illegal activity since statehood pretty much but thats been ignored until now..

I guess the good thing about this problem is I dont ever have to worry about finding a job

Okla-homey
4/23/2008, 06:35 PM
Coming from a gun-totin, Bible believing, conservative who has never knowingly voted for a liberal in his life, you may may be shocked by the following position.

I contend its cheaper in terms of time, lives and treasure, to treat these addictions, even at public expense, than it is to lock up the offenders. I realize some illicit drugs hurt people, especially meth, but decriminalizing drug use would go a long way towards solving the attendant ills that arose from its prohibition. We learned that when we repealed the 19th Amendment. Further, I am of the opinion, that heroin, although highly addictive, does no measurable harm to the user. The harm comes in from the lifestyle necessary to support the illegal habit. But I digress.

In fact, the main reason Oklahoma imprisons more women per capita than any other state is because of the meth scourge. Whether she's using or not, if its being cooked in her domicile by her boyfriend, husband, son, cousin, nephew or whoever, she's an accomplice to the crime if she doesn't rat him out to the authorities and she goes down too.

I say, lets stop locking people up for dope offenses, and with the money we save, treat their addictions. Decriminalizing dope would simultaneously destroy the most profitable means of support for organized crime. Heck, we can even tax the crap out of it to help pay for the rehab/detox programs. At the very least, lets decriminalize pot so people can cop a legal high which might just cause folks to think twice about trying that first hit of meth.

Moreover, a country that makes dope use illegal while allowing the sale of alcohol and tobacco to anyone old enough to buy it who has the money is the very definition and personification of hypocrisy.

Thats all I got to say about that.

Ash
4/23/2008, 06:41 PM
Well, first of all, restaurants that drug test shouldn't be surprised that they're having trouble with hiring. Most restaurant employees are college-aged kids. It's like testing high school kids for rebellion and apathy.

Second, you're thinking of McCurtain County, not McAlester.

But, as for the world getting gradually dumber... It's real, folks. Don't believe the Flynn Effect. Believe in dysgenics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgenics

It's scary because it's true, not because it's funny. (And, being a public school teacher, it's not like I'm an UNinformed source at the grass(pun intended)roots level.

the_ouskull

I hope this is a joke or that you don't understand the origins and implications of this concept.

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 06:48 PM
Fact #1
A drunk (olevet if you will ) May get drunk and steal your wallet .
Wake up the next day and say "Oh shat " Bro I was drunk and stupid and stole yer wallet . For give Me ?
Fact #2
A tweaker WILL steal your wallet, Then spend the next 2 weeks Helping you Look fer It :eek: :mad:

Ash
4/23/2008, 06:51 PM
If they're serious tweakers, after depriving themselves of sleep and food for days on end while in an altered state, it's not uncommon to suffer from psychotic episodes.

Meth is teh debil. And sadly affects everybody, from the city to the deep dark backwoods.

CORNholio
4/23/2008, 07:01 PM
Coming from a gun-totin, Bible believing, conservative who has never knowingly voted for a liberal in his life, you may may be shocked by the following position.

I contend its cheaper in terms of time, lives and treasure, to treat these addictions, even at public expense, than it is to lock up the offenders. I realize some illicit drugs hurt people, especially meth, but decriminalizing drug use would go a long way towards solving the attendant ills that arose from its prohibition. We learned that when we repealed the 19th Amendment. Further, I am of the opinion, that heroin, although highly addictive, does no measurable harm to the user. The harm comes in from the lifestyle necessary to support the illegal habit. But I digress.

In fact, the main reason Oklahoma imprisons more women per capita than any other state is because of the meth scourge. Whether she's using or not, if its being cooked in her domicile by her boyfriend, husband, son, cousin, nephew or whoever, she's an accomplice to the crime if she doesn't rat him out to the authorities and she goes down too.

I say, lets stop locking people up for dope offenses, and with the money we save, treat their addictions. Decriminalizing dope would simultaneously destroy the most profitable means of support for organized crime. Heck, we can even tax the crap out of it to help pay for the rehab/detox programs. At the very least, lets decriminalize pot so people can cop a legal high which might just cause folks to think twice about trying that first hit of meth.

Moreover, a country that makes dope use illegal while allowing the sale of alcohol and tobacco to anyone old enough to buy it who has the money is the very definition and personification of hypocrisy.

Agreed.
If people want to be worthless junkies then let them. Tax the drugs and indirectly make them pay for their own welfare.

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 07:05 PM
Agreed.
If people want to be worthless junkies then let them. Tax the drugs and indirectly make them pay for their own welfare.

That will work
They Steal to Pay the Taxed drugs Instead of the Untaxed ,

yermom
4/23/2008, 07:11 PM

i'd agree to a point. herion and meth are not good for you though, they do bad ****. it's not just the lifestyle though, a lot of it is the crap in the junk they are using. they cut it with something. if it was pure, it would be a bit different.

i can kinda see pot being legal, but much else is still too risky.

still, putting someone in prison for using is dumb. selling is another story. users/addicts should just be detoxed or something.

they should be punished for the real crimes they commit though...

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 07:22 PM
There Ya go Yermom has the Solution .
Make the dealers sell Pure stuff .
The addicts will all Be dead after the 1st dose .:D

Okla-homey
4/23/2008, 07:24 PM
i'd agree to a point. herion and meth are not good for you though, they do bad ****. it's not just the lifestyle though, a lot of it is the crap in the junk they are using. they cut it with something. if it was pure, it would be a bit different.

i can kinda see pot being legal, but much else is still too risky.

still, putting someone in prison for using is dumb. selling is another story. users/addicts should just be detoxed or something.

they should be punished for the real crimes they commit though...

but that's just it, if the crap was legal, they could buy it. No one I've ever heard of committed burglary to raise cash to buy a fifth of Jack Daniels.

Also, what evidence do you have heroin use affects health. Mind you, completely irrespective of the dirty needles, whoring and crime surrounding it which would go bye-bye if it were legal, and its quality was regulated.

r5TPsooner
4/23/2008, 07:26 PM
I say allow pot and Vicodin to be legal, tax the pi$$ out of it, then about 60% of our drug woes would be dealt with.

tommieharris91
4/23/2008, 07:31 PM
but that's just it, if the crap was legal, they could buy it. No one I've ever heard of committed burglary to raise cash to buy a fifth of Jack Daniels.

These guys straight up tell you they're using the money you gave them for a 40oz.

TUSooner
4/23/2008, 07:35 PM
The real political issue is not whether X (drugs, abortion, adultery, whatever) is bad; the question is what society should do about it. Criminal penalties are not the solution to every societal problem. We need to stop thinking like that. Recall these words of wisdom: When all you have is a hammer, every prpblem looks like a nail.

That and Homey's post, and I'm done

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 07:48 PM
A dude I know IS going to Prison Fer Drinking
The Drunk driving Laws are a Joke .He Has had 14 Duis now , Untold drivin without a License .
A 8 hrs stint in the County Hilton, a Fine, Aint gonna cut it
Jail aint gonna cut it
Give em One , Then They gotta go to a Treatment thingy or somepun .

AlbqSooner
4/23/2008, 08:09 PM
The reason Chili's and other businesses drug test is that if they can qualify as a "Drug Free Workplace" (surely you have seen the posters) they get a substantial reduction in their workers comp premium.

Jail will not cure alcoholism/addiction. Rehab units are less than perfect, but they often plant the seed and allow the addict to get a few days of clear thinking to realize just how far down they have gotten. That gives them a chance.

Legalize it. Prior to prohibition, Chicago was a fairly law abiding town. During prohibition you ended up with events like the Valentine's Day Massacre. Prior to the "War on Drugs" Miami was a relatively law abiding town. Once it became the portal for all kinds of illegal drugs, it became borderline lawless.

During the depression Dad tells me they would pay $5.00 for a pint of mediocre whiskey. 30 years later when I was in college that would buy a fifth of top shelf. Remove the criminality and the price goes way down.

Legalize, tax the hell out of it and earmark the clear majority of the tax for rehab and education. The price comes down, the availability goes up and it is not necessary to mug some convenience store clerk to support your addiction.

The other key thing, and it will not happen in my life time, is to make drug use/addiction wholly unacceptable. Socially unacceptable. Having consumed as freely as the coneheads back in the day, and having joked about it even recently, I probably don't have standing to advocate this. However, if we as a society make it unacceptable, a lot of people will not even experiment who otherwise would.

Off my soapbox now.

yermom
4/23/2008, 11:28 PM

Also, what evidence do you have heroin use affects health. Mind you, completely irrespective of the dirty needles, whoring and crime surrounding it which would go bye-bye if it were legal, and its quality was regulated.

mostly i was talking about this:

Patients may present with complications related to adulterants of street drugs. Street drugs are combined with inert or toxic substances to increase the mass and street value of the original product. Common heroin adulterants include talc, sugars, quinine, local anesthetics, flour, sodium bicarbonate, amphetamines, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), phencyclidine, cocaine, and scopolamine. Recently, a number of deaths due to clenbuterol toxicity were reported in patients who used heroin in the northeastern United States. Talc may cause pulmonary injury. Quinine, local anesthetics, amphetamines, and cocaine may be cardiotoxic and cause cardiac arrhythmias.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/TOPIC1003.HTM

but also, they are highly addictive. that **** ain't good. we've good enough problems with people drinking and smoking. the more you use of that stuff, the more tolerance you have, thus you need more. sure, some people can use it recreationally, but a lot can't. what do you do with those people when they can't pay the rent or buy their next fix?

like Olevet was saying, we can't even keep drunks off the street... i really feel like that is something that isn't taken seriously enough, btw

Blue
4/24/2008, 01:25 AM
Rehab units are less than perfect, but they often plant the seed and allow the addict to get a few days of clear thinking to realize just how far down they have gotten. That gives them a chance.

Huh? And Jail doesn't give them a few sober days? Until they find a dealer at least?

I'd like to know the percentage of drunks/potheads that come out of jail sober as opposed to rehab. And relapse percentage.

I had an alcoholic buddy who went to jail for a month in Cincinatti metro(not a fun place to be) and hasn't had a drink since. Worked for him.

tbl
4/24/2008, 08:29 AM
Chili's was drug testing? really?

i guess i can kinda see Lowe's, but Chili's?

seems like someone is taking themselves a bit too seriously to me

and i'm not really sure what education and faith have to do with drug use or working at Chili's
Back in 95 I went to apply at Chilis and after my interview they gave me the directions to the place to get drug tested. I took the directions back to my house instead, so as not to waste everybody's time.

M
4/24/2008, 09:28 AM
More drug courts/mental health courts as an alternative to incarceration are needed.

Okla-homey
4/24/2008, 09:29 AM
Back in 95 I went to apply at Chilis and after my interview they gave me the directions to the place to get drug tested. I took the directions back to my house instead, so as not to waste everybody's time.

Repeating sentiments expressed by others here, WTF cares if the guy who brings you your smothered nachos and 32 oz. Budweiser burned one the night before? In fact, I don't even care if he/she blazed one in the parking lot on his break 15 minutes before serving me. sheesh.