PDA

View Full Version : States seeking to ban synthetic turf

mfosterftw
4/23/2008, 08:43 AM
There's lead in them thar fields...

Bills in Minnesota, New Jersey and New York would bar the installation of additional artificial turf until those states complete health and environmental studies on the ground-up tires used for the increasingly popular surfaces.

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=302883

RedstickSooner
4/23/2008, 05:47 PM
Okay, now, I can dig being concerned about them using a lead-based pigment on the turf. Frankly, that just seems stupid, if for no other reason than that it raises the hackles on every paranoid parent's neck the moment you mention lead & paint in the same sentence.

Now then, as to the tire crumbs? Are you effing kidding me?

They do realize where tire crumbs come from, right?

They do realize that tires, every single day, erode all across this great nation -- releasing their chemical constituents in the form of a dust far finer than anything you'd get from artificial turf. Any noxious emissions which could emanate from these ground-up tires would be at levels well below what you get by driving down a heavily-trafficked highway with a window down.

If ground-up tires are too dangerous to run around on, we're all in a world of trouble. And need to figure out how to convert our cars to safer, Flinstones-style granite wheel technology.

Before deciding you've found some horrific threat in the environment, it never hurts to apply just a *little* common sense, see what you come up with.

Unless we coat the inner linings of our tires with some particularly noxious chemical, the *only* grounds for concern over these artificial surfaces would come in the form of any additives used in their processing & manufacture.

Idjits.

Cam
4/23/2008, 07:38 PM
RedstickSooner,

Sadly, common sense is something that many people are missing nowadays.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/23/2008, 11:34 PM
Personally, I hate FieldTurf and all teams, from high school, college and the NFL, should be forced to play on natural grass, the way it was meant to be played.

ashley
4/24/2008, 09:55 AM
Most teams like it as well as grass. It is also a must for multischool places.