PDA

View Full Version : OUr boy governor has thrown in with BHO

Okla-homey
4/23/2008, 07:10 AM
:D

Oklahoma governor endorses Obama

Associated Press - April 23, 2008 5:15 AM ET

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Governor Brad Henry (superdelegate) is endorsing Illinois Senator Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination.

In a statement released by the Obama press office in Chicago, Henry called Obama an inspirational leader who can unite the country. He says the senator will be able to move beyond the divisiveness and partisanship that has characterized Washington politics.

The endorsement gives Obama the official support of 3 of Oklahoma's 10 superdelegates, while Hillary Rodham Clinton has the backing of 1 superdelegate. The rest are uncommitted.

Henry -- a moderate Democrat in a Republican-trending state -- says his own efforts to build a consensus across party lines is why he's so enthusiastic about Obama's candidacy.

Democrats still have a majority of registered voters in Oklahoma, but the state has voted Republican in every presidential election since 1964.

Turd_Ferguson
4/23/2008, 07:13 AM
Not likely he'd have thrown in with McCain:D

SoonerTerry
4/23/2008, 07:24 AM
Democrats still have a majority of registered voters in Oklahoma, but the state has voted Republican in every presidential election since 1964.

Wow.

KaiserSooner
4/23/2008, 07:28 AM
Wow.

That's not a wow. It's a no-brainer, if you look past the party labels.

Widescreen
4/23/2008, 08:07 AM
Oklahoma is generally conservative. I personally know several people who are registered Democrats who simply did that so they could vote in the primaries.

OklahomaTuba
4/23/2008, 11:57 AM
Damn, I thought Henry was a moderate. Strange that he is endorsing a radical leftist like BHO.

I wonder if Henry is OK with endorsing a guy that runs around with terrorists, has a preacher who is a racist bigot, is endorsed by racist hate groups like the black panthers and has people working for his campaign such as a commited communist as the offical "blogger" of his website?

I think that this endorsement will end up destroying his political career in this state once the real BHO & friends are introduced to the public by the GOP. Henry was doing pretty well as a Gov, I actually liked him as well.

JohnnyMack
4/23/2008, 12:10 PM
Damn, I thought Henry was a moderate. Strange that he is endorsing a radical leftist like BHO.

I wonder if Henry is OK with endorsing a guy that runs around with terrorists, has a preacher who is a racist bigot, is endorsed by racist hate groups like the black panthers and has people working for his campaign such as a commited communist as the offical "blogger" of his website?

I think that this endorsement will end up destroying his political career in this state once the real BHO & friends are introduced to the public by the GOP. Henry was doing pretty well as a Gov, I actually liked him as well.

I've missed you Tuba.

Okla-homey
4/23/2008, 12:13 PM
I'm just kinda surpised he didn't go with HRC since the states' donks gave OUr primary to her. Thus, that would have been the safer horse to back.

I suspect it has something to do with his intention to back the person he believes will ultimately prevail. That, and his aspirations for higher political office...like the US Senate. Although he would run afoul of Darth Boren if he opposed Son of Boren for that Senate seat.

Curious.

OklahomaTuba
4/23/2008, 12:19 PM
Unfortunatly for him, endorsing the most left-wing candidate since McGovern could prove fatal politically in this state. He should have just shut the hell up.

If he had any intention of being in the Senate, that dream is now over.

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2008, 12:23 PM
I'm just kinda surpised he didn't go with HRC since the states' donks gave OUr primary to her. Thus, that would have been the safer horse to back.

I suspect it has something to do with his intention to back the person he believes will ultimately prevail. That, and his aspirations for higher political office...like the US Senate. Although he would run afoul of Darth Boren if he opposed Son of Boren for that Senate seat.

Curious.

Boren has endorsed Obama as well. This is not intended to contradict what you just posted-but it looks like all the major Democratic players are starting to line up behind Obama.

Octavian
4/23/2008, 12:44 PM
People of Oklahoma

Hillary Clinton - 228,480 (55%)

Barack Obama - 130,130 (31%)

Clinton won 76 of Oklahoma's 77 counties.

That vote was Feb. 4....before the Rev. Wright controversy and the comments about "bitter" rural folks who "cling" to guns and religion. HRC could probably win upwards to 70% of the popular vote in a Dem. primary if we voted again today.

Nevertheless....

Governor of Oklahoma

Barack Obama

That's our governor...a true man of the people...

soonerscuba
4/23/2008, 12:44 PM
Unfortunatly for him, endorsing the most left-wing candidate since McGovern could prove fatal politically in this state. He should have just shut the hell up.

I missed you. Also, wasn't John Kerry the most liberal person to ever run? Which of the Dems is most likely to hump France this go around?

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2008, 12:57 PM
Whups, I wasn't clear. David Boren has endorsed Obama. I don't know if Dan has or not. Sorry for the unclear post, jaux.

JohnnyMack
4/23/2008, 12:59 PM
In related news, Dan Boren was on my flight back from Dallas a month or so ago. He got bumped to first. Some man of the people that guy is. :bsmf:

LilSooner
4/23/2008, 02:19 PM
I'm disappointed. Very disappointed.

Octavian
4/23/2008, 02:32 PM
Gov. Brad Henry, who said earlier he would not endorse a Democratic presidential candidate until this summer's national convention, announced this morning he is supporting Barack Obama.

so...he was untruthful.

Henry said in January he wasn't vying to be the running mate for any of the Democratic presidential contenders, but he said he would consider the possibility if asked.

http://newsok.com/article/3233776/1208941411

Henry better be getting something out of it....because if Obama doesn't win the White House...Henry's political career is over.

He won't be able to win a dog-catcher's election in Oklahoma after this.

JohnnyMack
4/23/2008, 02:50 PM
Should Henry have thrown in with Gomez and Morticia McCain or should he have gone with the Billary Political Machine?

soonerscuba
4/23/2008, 03:28 PM
Holy Crap. A Democratic governor has endorsed a Democratic front runner. Stop the presses. Next Inhofe will be endorsing McCain, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

Octavian
4/23/2008, 03:28 PM
He should have probably gone with whichever Democrat didn't insult small town people and rural Americans because they just don't know any better and aren't Manhattan millionaires.

...which, coincidentally, would be the same Democrat that was resoundingly rejected in favor of another Democrat in his --largely rural, small town-- state of Oklahoma.

Or, better yet, maybe he should have kept his word and waited until convention time. Just my .02...but it seems like an inept political decision.

soonerscuba
4/23/2008, 03:38 PM
He should have probably gone with whichever Democrat didn't insult small town people and rural Americans because they just don't know any better and aren't Manhattan millionaires.

...which, coincidentally, would be the same Democrat that was resoundingly rejected in favor of another Democrat in his --largely rural, small town-- state of Oklahoma.

Or, better yet, maybe he should have kept his word and waited until convention time. Just my .02...but it seems like an inept political decision.
Are you familiar with Hillary's chances to win the nomination? It might be the biggest political coup in the last 100 years (that includes Dewey-Truman)... it's not exactly political suicide to endorse a candidate that barring the destruction of the Democratic Party will win the nomination.

Cam
4/23/2008, 03:40 PM

You can't possibly think HRC's not a Manhattan millionaire.

Monetarily speaking, none of the candidates from either side can relate to the average American.

shaun4411
4/23/2008, 03:42 PM
Henry for Prez in 2012

shaun4411
4/23/2008, 03:43 PM
You can't possibly think HRC's not a Manhattan millionaire.

Monetarily speaking, none of the candidates from either side can relate to the average American.

i think obama can more closely relate than the others. he didnt come into money until he started receiving royalties from his books. even today his worth is estimated in the 1-3 million range.

Octavian
4/23/2008, 03:50 PM
Are you familiar with Hillary's chances to win the nomination?

I'm familiar with her chances to win the nomination after a 48 state vote.

I'm also familiar with his increasing inability to win amongst several groups that are vital for a Democrat to win in order to take the White House.

...it's not exactly political suicide to endorse a candidate that barring a the destruction of the Democratic Party will win the nomination.

The destruction of the Democratic Party could also occur if we choose someone that will lead us into another Dukakis-like electoral disaster in spite of eight years of GWB.

As for Henry's choice, it is what it is. He made his choice...and the people of his state can certainly make up their own minds if and when they ever see his name on another ballot.

Chuck Bao
4/23/2008, 03:56 PM
How did Obama insult small town people and rural Americans? I didn't get that.

I thought he said that people in rural areas were frustrated and had all but given up hope on the economy and leadership from Washington. That, instead, they were basing their votes on other issues like gun ownership and religious issues, like anti-gay rights and anti-abortion. Maybe I'm adding words here, but that was the main point, I think.

And, I think that is a fair point, especially since there are a lot of very importantant issues that should be debated in this election year, like the economy, inflation and the war in Iraq.

I don't see that as offensive. He didn't call them stupid, just that they lacked hope.

Cam
4/23/2008, 03:59 PM
So Henry's chance of re-election hinges on who he endorses rather than what he's actually done while in office?

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not 100% opposed to Gov. Henry. As far as Democrats go, I like the guy quite a bit.

soonerinabilene
4/23/2008, 04:04 PM
So Henry's chance of re-election hinges on who he endorses rather than what he's actually done while in office?

Democracy at its finest.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2008, 04:05 PM

Henry can't seek re-election. He's term limited.

Cam
4/23/2008, 05:40 PM
Henry can't seek re-election. He's term limited.

Ok, I'll rephrase the question.

So Henry's chance of being elected to any future political office hinges on who he endorses rather than what he's actually done while Governor?

Does that work for ya?

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, I'll rephrase the question.

So Henry's chance of being elected to any future political office hinges on who he endorses rather than what he's actually done while Governor?

Does that work for ya?

Your post is now "SicEm Approved." Congratulations.

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 06:32 PM
Oklahoma is generally conservative. I personally know several people who are registered Democrats who simply did that so they could vote in the primaries.

You mean Like I reg. Dem . so I could Vote fer Sherrif, County Comish, etc. ?

GottaHavePride
4/23/2008, 08:06 PM

I thought he said that people in rural areas were frustrated and had all but given up hope on the economy and leadership from Washington. That, instead, they were basing their votes on other issues like gun ownership and religious issues, like anti-gay rights and anti-abortion. Maybe I'm adding words here, but that was the main point, I think.

And, I think that is a fair point, especially since there are a lot of very importantant issues that should be debated in this election year, like the economy, inflation and the war in Iraq.

I don't see that as offensive. He didn't call them stupid, just that they lacked hope.

Bingo. People who like misinterpreting things based on a 30-second soundbite without listening to the full context of what was said like to jump on that as "bashing small-town Americans".

Honestly, I'd lose respect for Henry if he had backed Clinton. It's pretty obvious to me, as I've been saying for MONTHS - she is not electable. Less chance of winning than SicEm vs. Ditka. And it's got nothing to do with her politics, and everything to do with her being a completely untrustworthy person. I wouldn't vote for her if she was running against Fidel Castro.

KaiserSooner
4/24/2008, 06:44 AM
Bingo. People who like misinterpreting things based on a 30-second soundbite without listening to the full context of what was said like to jump on that as "bashing small-town Americans".

Honestly, I'd lose respect for Henry if he had backed Clinton. It's pretty obvious to me, as I've been saying for MONTHS - she is not electable. Less chance of winning than SicEm vs. Ditka. And it's got nothing to do with her politics, and everything to do with her being a completely untrustworthy person. I wouldn't vote for her if she was running against Fidel Castro.

Exactly. Especially on the small town stuff. Saying Obama was bashing rural people is like saying Steinbeck was bashing Okies (if the idiots who spout the latter bothered to read The Grapes of Wrath, they'd know who Steinbeck was really bashing).

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/24/2008, 10:28 AM
Henry for Prez in 2012Is he qualified? Does he attend a racist church?

picasso
4/24/2008, 12:13 PM
That's not a wow. It's a no-brainer, if you look past the party labels.

because our Dems aren't over the line liberals? old school maybe?

Guv Henry said Obama represented the future? Really? Marxism and the most liberal voting record in the senate? Henry's really in touch ain't he?

JohnnyMack
4/24/2008, 12:42 PM
A lot of what KM talked about is clearly reflected in our society today. Now it sure got bastardized down the line, but I don't think he was too far off. I'll take my negging now.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/24/2008, 12:51 PM

I thought Henry was a dufus in school and in UOSA and he has done nothing to change that opinion. I seriously doubt Henry's intelligence if he thinks O-blah-ma is a uniter and a cross-political bridge builder. O-blah-ma is an extreme liberal who has hidden his true identity behind "present" votes in the Senate. His record when he had one in Illinois was extremely liberal. Henry just alienated many voters of Oklahoma. What a dufus...

Animal Mother
4/24/2008, 01:08 PM

What color is the sky in your world? The govenor spoke his mind. It's called free speech. Yes there are consequences to such actions. Especially reaction from reactionary types.

Animal Mother
4/24/2008, 01:14 PM

You’re joking correct? You know how it works these days. A political candidate makes a statement. Certain members of the band have to wait for O’Reilly or Limpballs to chime in and that’s when they “form” their opinion.
The mantra of conservative talk radio:
“Give me my opinion I’m a minion.”

OklahomaTuba
4/24/2008, 01:20 PM

Nice way of spinning it. But it was insulting and very typical of someone trying to sterotype, not to mention that and it was very, very elitist of him to say.

The fact that people actually believe that kind of BS is pretty laughable anyway.

Its a good thing he said it in mansion in San Francisco infront of his elitist trust-fund friends then.

No person who believes that way about what is possible a majority of the population of this country, and has radical racists & marxists running around him will have a chance in the general.

JohnnyMack
4/24/2008, 02:11 PM
Nice way of spinning it. But it was insulting and very typical of someone trying to sterotype, not to mention that and it was very, very elitist of him to say.

The fact that people actually believe that kind of BS is pretty laughable anyway.

Its a good thing he said it in mansion in San Francisco infront of his elitist trust-fund friends then.

No person who believes that way about what is possible a majority of the population of this country, and has radical racists & marxists running around him will have a chance in the general.

Tuba, what do you think the chances of John & Cindy McCain having dinner with you at the Red Robin up in Owasso are? Do you have yourself convinced that this couple that has a net worth of over $100 million who has spent the last 25 years in D.C. would give a damn about you if it didn't serve his political motivations? Can you see her drinking a glass of white zin and him knocking back a Bud Light while you all talk about Owasso's chances of beating Jenks in football this fall? I don't think it's wise to be so liberal with the use of words like elitist when we're talking about people at that level.

4/24/2008, 02:20 PM
Tuba, what do you think the chances of John & Cindy McCain having dinner with you at the Red Robin up in Owasso are? Do you have yourself convinced that this couple that has a net worth of over $100 million who has spent the last 25 years in D.C. would give a damn about you if it didn't serve his political motivations? Can you see her drinking a glass of white zin and him knocking back a Bud Light while you all talk about Owasso's chances of beating Jenks in football this fall? I don't think it's wise to be so liberal with the use of words like elitist when we're talking about people at that level.In conclusion, vote Obama?

JohnnyMack
4/24/2008, 02:23 PM
In conclusion, vote Obama?

No. Don't delude yourself into thinking any of these candidates is a man or witch, I mean woman, of the people.

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 02:25 PM

Talk about putting a funny spin on what Obama actually said.

Are you trying to debate the fact that voting records and opinion polls do tend to confirm what Obama said. I'm not aware he said "all" rural voters. I didn't take it like one of your normal sweeping generalizations.

I like a politician who is direct and has an opinion. He seems to be saying that the Democrat party has failed to reach the rural voters who tend to vote based on a few key issues.

Look, maybe he was wrong. Maybe, rural voters don't lack hope. Maybe, we were just raised to be self sufficient and not rely on Washington.

It is a good debate point for the Democrats because they need to win back the rural votes.

As far as the elitist tag, heh! I would hope that there is a little bit of elitism and a big enough ego in the president of the United States. How would you expect him to lead otherwise?

If you don't like where Obama wants to lead the country, then fine don't vote for him. But to keep trying to frame the debate as an "us" vs. "them" thing is tiring and it also seems like you are the one talking down to the rural voters.

SicEmBaylor
4/24/2008, 02:31 PM
I'm basically with Chuck on this issue. I think Obama's statement was blown way way out of proportion though I still don't agree with the point he was either trying to make or especially what it sounded like. Nonetheless, I think he was simply saying that as people worry about the state of the nation, their family finances, etc. they fall back on the familiar i.e. church, guns, etc.

I think it was a pretty poor choice of words, but I don't think his intent was nearly as insulting as people are implying.

Also, there's nothing more ridiculously absurd to me than a populist conservative. So what if the candidate is elitist? Again, I have to agree with Chuck a bit on this. I don't want my President to be some average bozo wolfing down a Big Mac -- I want my President to be a bit above all that.

soonerscuba
4/24/2008, 02:39 PM
If you do a good job, they carve your head into a mountain. I can't imagine there would be elites among those trying to run the free world. I think anybody who votes by who they would have a beer with should be taken round back and shot.

Animal Mother
4/24/2008, 05:37 PM
Some people think using all the correct buzz words such as "Groucho Marxist"
and "Elitist this and Stereo type MC that” shows us they’re informed when it really shows what shows they watch to get their opinions. I however get mine from my neighbor’s dog who speaks to me in pig Latin. Today he told me to be obtuse and or rounded at the free end. Oh and also not to order # 666 on the House of Chinese Devil's menu. It's too hot.

Cam
4/24/2008, 06:07 PM
So here's the original speech that "offended" all of rural America.

Barack Obama stated:

So, it depends on where you are, but I think it's fair to say that the places where we are going to have to do the most work are the places where people feel most cynical about government. The people are mis-appre ... I think they're misunderstanding why the demographics in our, in this contest have broken out as they are. Because everybody just ascribes it to 'white working-class don't wanna work -- don't wanna vote for the black guy.' That's ... there were intimations of that in an article in the Sunday New York Times today -- kind of implies that it's sort of a race thing.

Here's how it is: in a lot of these communities in big industrial states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, people have been beaten down so long, and they feel so betrayed by government, and when they hear a pitch that is premised on not being cynical about government, then a part of them just doesn't buy it. And when it's delivered by -- it's true that when it's delivered by a 46-year-old black man named Barack Obama (laugher), then that adds another layer of skepticism (laughter).

But -- so the questions you're most likely to get about me, 'Well, what is this guy going to do for me? What's the concrete thing?' What they wanna hear is -- so, we'll give you talking points about what we're proposing -- close tax loopholes, roll back, you know, the tax cuts for the top 1 percent. Obama's gonna give tax breaks to middle-class folks and we're gonna provide health care for every American. So we'll go down a series of talking points.

But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Um, now these are in some communities, you know. I think what you'll find is, is that people of every background -- there are gonna be a mix of people, you can go in the toughest neighborhoods, you know working-class lunch-pail folks, you'll find Obama enthusiasts. And you can go into places where you think I'd be very strong and people will just be skeptical. The important thing is that you show up and you're doing what you're doing.

Audio Version (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mayhill-fowler/obama-exclusive-audio-on_b_96333.html)

It's 50+ minutes in length and not very good quality. Not sure where the above piece is on the timeline.

Second speech responding to the backlash of the first speech.

Barack Obama's followup statement (on the original statement):

When I go around and I talk to people there is frustration and there is anger and there is bitterness. And what’s worse is when people are expressing their anger then politicians try to say what are you angry about? This just happened – I want to make a point here today.

I was in San Francisco talking to a group at a fundraiser and somebody asked how’re you going to get votes in Pennsylvania? What’s going on there? We hear that’s its hard for some working class people to get behind you’re campaign. I said, “Well look, they’re frustrated and for good reason. Because for the last 25 years they’ve seen jobs shipped overseas. They’ve seen their economies collapse. They have lost their jobs. They have lost their pensions. They have lost their healthcare.

And for 25, 30 years Democrats and Republicans have come before them and said we’re going to make your community better. We’re going to make it right and nothing ever happens. And of course they’re bitter. Of course they’re frustrated. You would be too. In fact many of you are. Because the same thing has happened here in Indiana. The same thing happened across the border in Decatur. The same thing has happened all across the country. Nobody is looking out for you. Nobody is thinking about you. And so people end up -- they don’t vote on economic issues because they don’t expect anybody’s going to help them. So people end up, you know, voting on issues like guns, and are they going to have the right to bear arms. They vote on issues like gay marriage. And they take refuge in their faith and their community and their families and things they can count on. But they don’t believe they can count on Washington. So I made this statement -- so, here’s what rich. Senator Clinton says ‘No, I don’t think that people are bitter in Pennsylvania. You know, I think Barack’s being condescending.’ John McCain says, ‘Oh, how could he say that? How could he say people are bitter? You know, he’s obviously out of touch with people.’

Out of touch? Out of touch? I mean, John McCain -— it took him three tries to finally figure out that the home foreclosure crisis was a problem and to come up with a plan for it, and he’s saying I’m out of touch? Senator Clinton voted for a credit card-sponsored bankruptcy bill that made it harder for people to get out of debt after taking money from the financial services companies, and she says I’m out of touch? No, I’m in touch. I know exactly what’s going on. I know what’s going on in Pennsylvania. I know what’s going on in Indiana. I know what’s going on in Illinois. People are fed-up. They’re angry and they’re frustrated and they’re bitter. And they want to see a change in Washington and that’s why I’m running for President of the United States of America.

Youtube of the second speech. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc9PepjyDow)

I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. Once we get it down to two, I'll talk a look at both and decide which is "best" of two bad options.

I do find it quite funny that the term elitist is being used on the only person still in the hunt who's not worth over 100 Million dollars. If Obama's an elitist, what the hell are McCain and HRC???

SicEmBaylor
4/24/2008, 06:17 PM
So here's the original speech that "offended" all of rural America.

Second speech responding to the backlash of the first speech.

I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. Once we get it down to two, I'll talk a look at both and decide which is "best" of two bad options.

I do find it quite funny that the term elitist is being used on the only person still in the hunt who's not worth over 100 Million dollars. If Obama's an elitist, what the hell are McCain and HRC???

If you're at all conservative then you should be voting for Obama.

Personally, that's who I am voting for.

StoopTroup
4/24/2008, 06:20 PM
Hillary could be hurting the DNC as many think she is...

I smell something else cooking.

One of the things I think she trying to prove is that she would make a better qualified Pesident with Barack as her Vice- President and that that Team would be electable.

I don't know if I agree however...

I don't thinkObama would do well with Hillary as his VP nor do I think she would agree to be his running mate.

Everything we're seeing is a mirage IMO.

C&CDean
4/24/2008, 06:23 PM
Well I'm just glad our governor isn't dead. I don't think he's said/done a thing since he got voted in, and I was just starting to take a liking to what I assumed was a corpse up on Lincoln Blvd. Now I can go back to thinking he's a ****ing moron again.

C&CDean
4/24/2008, 06:24 PM
If you're at all conservative then you should be voting for Obama.

Personally, that's who I am voting for.

Dude, you don't need to do or say anything more to convince us where your head is at.

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks Cam for the text of the speech. I guess I was wrong in taking my impression from the write-up of some political analyst. I'm embarrassed.

C&CDean
4/24/2008, 06:32 PM
I like the avatar Chuck. Tittays pwn buttplugs.

Jerk
4/24/2008, 06:34 PM

Do you really believe that being rich is the definition of an elitist?

SicEmBaylor
4/24/2008, 06:43 PM
Dude, you don't need to do or say anything more to convince us where your head is at.

I'm not big on immediate gratification. You can either vote for McCain who isn't all that conservative and will do nothing to unify a VERY fractured conservative movement and get 4 lukewarm years of a Republican presidency OR you can sacrifice your short-term interest in seeing a Republican elected for the long term benefit of the conservative movement.

I guarantee you, nothing will unite and rejuvenate the conservative movement like an ultra liberal President governing to the far-left.

It's a question of short term loss for long term gain.

C&CDean
4/24/2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not big on immediate gratification. You can either vote for McCain who isn't all that conservative and will do nothing to unify a VERY fractured conservative movement and get 4 lukewarm years of a Republican presidency OR you can sacrifice your short-term interest in seeing a Republican elected for the long term benefit of the conservative movement.

I guarantee you, nothing will unite and rejuvenate the conservative movement like an ultra liberal President governing to the far-left.

So, you've drank that ****-laced koolaid they've been trying to sell huh? Figures. For the record, this is the stupidest reason EVAR to vote for somebody. Just letting you know.

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Dean.

One of my colleagues went to Angkor Wat last weekend and took some great photos. I took my avatar from her collection of photos. The Khmer had some great artistic sense of the tittays and the human form some 600-800 years ago.

She posed next to one of the aspara (angel) basreliefs and it was the mirror image, except the stone version was topless. I'm keeping that one to myself.

And, I chose this pic one over a Shiva Lingha pic because I knew you'd like this one better.

C&CDean
4/24/2008, 06:54 PM
Well I appreciate you keeping me in mind when you're deciding which set of tittage to use.

One of these days I'm gonna have to use some mileage and come check out your crib. Is there decent scuba diving over there?

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 06:58 PM
There is a lot to be told about the VP selection. Again, I have to defer to Cam's view and wait before making up my mind. Okay, as long as Hiliary isn't in the picture.

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 07:37 PM
You would enjoy Thailand, Dean. So, anytime you want to visit is good for me. The diving is great and I am going to say it again - Thailand is my favorite place to visit in the world and I live here.

Cam
4/24/2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Cam for the text of the speech. I guess I was wrong in taking my impression from the write-up of some political analyst. I'm embarrassed.

My sarcasm radar went red on this, but oh well.

Somebody asked what was said so I found it.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out what I should be offended by as an American living in fly-over country.

Do you really believe that being rich is the definition of an elitist?

Not at all. They're all elitist to a point, they're politicians for crying out loud. To think that HRC and McCain aren't is being very short sighted IMO.

As I said earlier, I haven't made up my mind yet on who I'm voting for. There's going to be so much crap come out between now and the end. I'd rather wait till the chit slinging's done and go over the pros and cons of which ever two are left standing.

Jerk
4/24/2008, 08:01 PM
Ok, my definition of an elitist is someone who views 'the masses' as a bunch of inferior plebians who need to be lorded over and controlled. Being rich has nothing to do with it.

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 08:06 PM
My sarcasm radar went red on this, but oh well.

Somebody asked what was said so I found it.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out what I should be offended by as an American living in fly-over country.

There was nothing even close to sacasm meant in my post. You found the text of the speech and I was too lazy to find it. So, I appreciate that.

It is interesting that Obama specificially mentioned Pennsylvania and Ohio and the rust belt and it was more about the hopelessness and manufacturing jobs going overseas and free trade than what I picked up previously. That can't be uniformly applied to rural America.

There is very good reason for me to be embarrassed.

But, what would it say of our society that one of us, any of us, would feel the need to fall back on guns and churches as our key issues. That is not hope and that just not right.

Jerk
4/24/2008, 08:19 PM
But, what would it say of our society that one of us, any of us, would feel the need to fall back on guns and churches as our key issues. That is not hope and that just not right.

If your side would quit talking about banning guns then it wouldn't be an issue at all. The left made it an issue. Actually, nanci palosi is smart enough to figure this out. The dirty little secret of 2006 is that the dems ran a bunch of pro-gun dems in the red states. You think David Boren (D - Muskogee) could win if he was in the Sarah Brady camp? Heck no, he's even up for election on the NRA board of directors.

Cam
4/24/2008, 08:42 PM
Ok, my definition of an elitist is someone who views 'the masses' as a bunch of inferior plebians who need to be lorded over and controlled. Being rich has nothing to do with it.

Like I said, they're all like that to a point. Hell, didn't HRC once say something about taking away our rights for our own good? Or something to that effect, can't remember the exact quote, so don't rail me for it. Being rich does factor into it IMO, but it's not the only thing. I would think it would be kind of hard to be an elitist if you were living paycheck to paycheck.

Chuck Bao
4/24/2008, 08:57 PM
If your side would quit talking about banning guns then it wouldn't be an issue at all. The left made it an issue. Actually, nanci palosi is smart enough to figure this out. The dirty little secret of 2006 is that the dems ran a bunch of pro-gun dems in the red states. You think David Boren (D - Muskogee) could win if he was in the Sarah Brady camp? Heck no, he's even up for election on the NRA board of directors.

In my oipinion, we are in for very, very tough times. Forget about rising energy prices, inflation, sinking dollar, and the large number of people losing their homes.

That meth thing scares the crap out of me. That is not an inner city plague but a rural plague too.

If the point is arming ourselves for protection or sports, then I agree. If arming ourselves means that those drug-addled people get their weapons, I don't know.

Wasn't there a thread about Chicago?

There are far smarter people on this board than me and I'll listen to everyone's opinions because frankly I don't know.

Harry Beanbag
4/24/2008, 09:21 PM

Dude, I couldn't give two ****s about the "conservative movement", I care about the United States of America. Others obviously disagree, but IMO a vote for Obama is not in the best interests of this country.

Voting for a naive socialist because the Republican dude isn't quite perfect isn't the brightest idea if you really believe what the conservative movement is all about, especially at this time.

Jerk
4/24/2008, 09:28 PM
If arming ourselves means that those drug-addled people get their weapons, I don't know.

Those types will get weapons regardless of who is in power and what their policies are.

ABC news was blaming our lack of gun laws for the epidemic of violence in Mexico, where guns are banned. No one bothered to mention the gunfight in Juarez last year where they were shooting maching guns and rocket propelled grenades at each other (weapons that are tightly regulated here). Point is, a lot of people are mad because we're getting the blame for something that is not our fault. That's what makes people bitter.

4/24/2008, 10:04 PM
I wish he wasn't a whorn, but you gotta hand it to they guy. ;)

Actually, he's an amazing story and should be an inspiration to all. Lance is a true hero.

SicEmBaylor
4/26/2008, 02:37 PM
Dude, I couldn't give two ****s about the "conservative movement", I care about the United States of America. Others obviously disagree, but IMO a vote for Obama is not in the best interests of this country.

Voting for a naive socialist because the Republican dude isn't quite perfect isn't the brightest idea if you really believe what the conservative movement is all about, especially at this time.

What's good for the conservative movement is good for America.
It also has nothing to do with John McCain not being perfect enough. He isn't of course, but that's beside the point.

LBJ's Great Society (and the war of course) led to Nixon. Nixon wasn't a conservative, but people seemed to think he was. Carter's liberalism led to Reagan. The first two years of Clinton's Administration led to the GOP takeover of Congress in '94. Something similar would happen with an Obama Presidency.

It's sort of the equivalent to being glad that Gerald Ford lost in '76 so that Reagan could win in '80. I don't know too many people who, with the benefit of hindsight, would take that short-term electoral win over the long term benefit of a Reagan Presidency.

SoonerBorn68
4/26/2008, 02:54 PM
LBJ's Great Society (and the war of course) led to Nixon. Nixon wasn't a conservative, but people seemed to think he was. Carter's liberalism led to Reagan. The first two years of Clinton's Administration led to the GOP takeover of Congress in '94. Something similar would happen with an Obama Presidency.

I'm not willing to split my paycheck 50/50 with the government for at least 4 years.

SicEmBaylor
4/26/2008, 02:58 PM
I'm not willing to split my paycheck 50/50 with the government for at least 4 years.

Why not? I'm sure they work as hard as you do for that money. ;)

4/26/2008, 05:07 PM
SicEm, the question is just HOW SEVERE would be the damage inflicted by having obama or Hellery as Pres. I would be willing to take a chance on surviving Ms. Hellery, but the risk on Obama is too scary for me. If the Clinton gets the nomination, I'll prolly vote for her. But I can't make myself back Obama, due to the Nat. Defense issue.

SicEmBaylor
4/26/2008, 06:19 PM
SicEm, the question is just HOW SEVERE would be the damage inflicted by having obama or Hellery as Pres. I would be willing to take a chance on surviving Ms. Hellery, but the risk on Obama is too scary for me. If the Clinton gets the nomination, I'll prolly vote for her. But I can't make myself back Obama, due to the Nat. Defense issue.

You're deluding yourself if you think Clinton is the better choice. I would never ever vote for Clinton -- if she's the nominee then all bets are off and I'm going hell bent for leather for McCain. I have said all along that she'd be the tougher opponent in the fall while every other Republican in the country said that she was the weakest. Finally, the talking heads pundits and Republican operatives are at last agreeing with me and realizing that Obama would be easier to beat in the fall.

Believe it or not the country can survive a Democratic President for 4 years. There are really only two considerations that would leave me to support McCain.

As for the "war on terror", domestic issues should trump foreign policy every single time unless our existence is truly threatened.

1. Supreme Court nominee: More than anything else, Supreme Court nominees are a President's lasting legacy and probably the biggest impact he can have on the direction of the country. I'm not all that convinced McCain's nominees would be any better than Obama's.

2. Split government: I value a split-government and the idea of having one political party control both the Congress and the Presidency bothers me a great deal whether it be Republican or Democrat.

4/26/2008, 09:48 PM
You're deluding yourself if you think Clinton is the better choice. I would never ever vote for Clinton -- if she's the nominee then all bets are off and I'm going hell bent for leather for McCain. I have said all along that she'd be the tougher opponent in the fall while every other Republican in the country said that she was the weakest. Finally, the talking heads pundits and Republican operatives are at last agreeing with me and realizing that Obama would be easier to beat in the fall.

Believe it or not the country can survive a Democratic President for 4 years. There are really only two considerations that would leave me to support McCain.

As for the "war on terror", domestic issues should trump foreign policy every single time unless our existence is truly threatened.

1. Supreme Court nominee: More than anything else, Supreme Court nominees are a President's lasting legacy and probably the biggest impact he can have on the direction of the country. I'm not all that convinced McCain's nominees would be any better than Obama's.

2. Split government: I value a split-government and the idea of having one political party control both the Congress and the Presidency bothers me a great deal whether it be Republican or Democrat.I don't care which democrat "would be easier to beat". I simply am skeert as he*l of Obama's seemingly total disregard for national defense. McCain and Hellery would be very similar in most areas, and especially when dealing with the democrat congress, IMO. He has said he thought that Judge Alito "is too conservative", so we see how he thinks about judicial appointees. Let 'er rip under Hellery, America!

jdsooner
4/27/2008, 12:28 AM
I'm voted for Obama and I hope to see Obama as president.
I know that this is heresy to most right wing Oklahomans who still seem to think that George Bush was a good choice as president. In case you haven't noticed, things are getting worse!!!

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2008, 12:35 AM
I know that this is heresy to most right wing Oklahomans who still seem to think that George Bush was a good choice as president. In case you haven't noticed, things are getting worse!!!

George Bush is right-wing but he's not a conservative. That's why things have sucked under Bush.

4/27/2008, 12:38 AM
I know that this is heresy to most right wing Oklahomans who still seem to think that George Bush was a good choice as president. In case you haven't noticed, things are getting worse!!!Serious?

Chuck Bao
4/27/2008, 04:52 AM

I hear you and spek! Obama still gets my vote.

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2008, 05:20 PM
So, I was called a "disloyal" Republican today. I had lunch with some guys from the county party, and I had this Obama discussion and made the same arguments I've made above. They said I was being highly disloyal to the Republican Party and I said, "The Republican party has been highly disloyal to the principles of limited-government."

I really didn't like being called disloyal since I consider myself an exceedingly loyal individual.

GottaHavePride
4/27/2008, 05:35 PM
Um, a Republican voting for a Democrat, for whatever reason, is being a disloyal Republican. See, it's not about principles. It's about your side winning.

Which is why I hate politics.

StoopTroup
4/27/2008, 06:43 PM
So, I was called a "disloyal" Republican today. I had lunch with some guys from the county party, and I had this Obama discussion and made the same arguments I've made above. They said I was being highly disloyal to the Republican Party and I said, "The Republican party has been highly disloyal to the principles of limited-government."

I really didn't like being called disloyal since I consider myself an exceedingly loyal individual.

OK Sicem...here's the reason you've changed though and they are the ones not being loyal.

Loyal = characterized by or showing faithfulness to commitments, vows, allegiance, obligations, etc.: loyal conduct.

The Bush Administration hasn't been faithful to their commitments.

There is nothing to be loyal for...

They just haven't figured it out.

McCain probably would have been a better choice 8 years ago. They should have helped him then IMO.

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2008, 06:46 PM
OK Sicem...here's the reason you've changed though and they are the ones not being loyal.

Loyal = characterized by or showing faithfulness to commitments, vows, allegiance, obligations, etc.: loyal conduct.

The Bush Administration hasn't been faithful to their commitments.

There is nothing to be loyal for...

They just haven't figured it out.

McCain probably would have been a better choice 8 years ago. They should have helped him then IMO.

Spek to you my friend!

Fraggle145
4/27/2008, 06:51 PM
I thought it was about being loyal to the country, not being loyal to a party. :confused:

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2008, 06:54 PM
I thought it was about being loyal to the country, not being loyal to a party. :confused:

It's about being loyal to the principles that you think are best for the country.

Harry Beanbag
4/28/2008, 07:06 AM

It's supposed to be.

olevetonahill
4/28/2008, 07:43 AM

Thats fer Us peons to think !
The Party elite And the Wannabes (ala sicem ) Need to Tow the Party line If they want to grow In the Party and become a Player
Has any one said
**** politics ?
The Rich elitist Control this Country the Pres. Is just a Sicem .
Just sayin:cool:

Sooner_Bob
4/28/2008, 09:59 AM
People of Oklahoma

Hillary Clinton - 228,480 (55%)

Barack Obama - 130,130 (31%)

Clinton won 76 of Oklahoma's 77 counties.

That vote was Feb. 4....before the Rev. Wright controversy and the comments about "bitter" rural folks who "cling" to guns and religion. HRC could probably win upwards to 70% of the popular vote in a Dem. primary if we voted again today.

Nevertheless....

Governor of Oklahoma

Barack Obama

That's our governor...a true man of the people...

But hey . . . we've got a lottery now. :D

StoopTroup
4/28/2008, 05:19 PM
I'm gonna retire once I win it too. :D

Octavian
4/29/2008, 01:54 AM
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4460/obamawright0322ax0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7484/henrykf9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"I've got to tell you I've been a fan of Barack Obama since the beginning" (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080424_1_A10_hHepr38336)

-Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry

Great choice for the good governor. The people of Oklahoma --in their infinite stupidity (the kinda folks who "cling" to Guns and God)-- just simply chose wrong.

Thank goodness we have an intellectually superior leader like Brad Henry who can set us all straight.

Octavian
4/29/2008, 02:01 AM

sweet....

That's the kinda philosophy that's landed two Democratic Presidents since '68.

Octavian
4/29/2008, 02:16 AM
electoral catastrophe...Dukakis style

4/29/2008, 10:07 AM
If the democrats REALLY want to win POTUS, they had better put the Hellery in as their candidate!

OklahomaTuba
4/29/2008, 10:30 AM
If the democrats REALLY want to win POTUS, they had better put the Hellery in as their candidate!

If they nominate BHO, I will laugh my *** off.

There is no reason why the donks shouldn't win the WH this year. No reason, except the donks themselves!! :D

Cam
4/29/2008, 11:46 AM
Um, a Republican voting for a Democrat, for whatever reason, is being a disloyal Republican. See, it's not about principles. It's about your side winning.

Which is why I hate politics.

Preach on.

picasso
4/29/2008, 12:24 PM
divisive and bombastic!!!!!!!

r5TPsooner
4/29/2008, 12:28 PM
Let me see... we've had a lying/adulterer as President in Clinton. The village idiot as president with W Bush. Hell, we might as well try a marxist/racist as president next year with Obama. That way the government will take 60% of my income instead of the 40% they're already taking.

4/29/2008, 12:54 PM
Let me see... we've had a lying/adulterer as President in Clinton, and the media victory perception of Bush as village idiot. (like they do most Republicans)Hell, we might as well try a real marxist/racist as president next year with Obama. That way the government will take 60% of my income instead of the 40% they're already taking.1) Fixed, and 2) Great Advice!:confused: