PDA

View Full Version : I'll admit it, I did a double-take when I saw...

the_ouskull
4/23/2008, 07:07 AM
...the kid's last name...

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/high-school-student-to-face-wmd-charge/20080422162709990001

the_ouskull

sooner n houston
4/23/2008, 07:49 AM
Sad really.

Widescreen
4/23/2008, 08:05 AM
Schallenberger is my SIL's maiden name. I need to ask her how they're related. ;)

swardboy
4/23/2008, 08:13 AM
I guess I'm a little surprised that ammonium nitrate is available over ebay...seems like one of those things that homeland security would proscribe.

Widescreen
4/23/2008, 11:13 AM
I guess Homeland Security hasn't gotten around to the ebayz.

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2008, 11:23 AM
I guess I'm a little surprised that ammonium nitrate is available over ebay...seems like one of those things that homeland security would proscribe.

I think it's a pretty common fertilizer.

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 12:15 PM
I hope the Charge of Having "Bomb making materials " is tossed . Its to generic .

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2008, 12:21 PM
Heh. Yeah, I've got "bomb making materials" in my house right now.

Animal Mother
4/23/2008, 01:31 PM
Everyone has/is bomb making material. They don't just make themselves. Unless you eat too many tacos at Uncle Julio's.

yermom
4/23/2008, 01:39 PM
i'm not sure why they would call that a "weapon of mass destruction"

i hope they have better charges than that

TUSooner
4/23/2008, 02:48 PM
Imagine the parents' dilemma when they supected little Ryan was a deadly nut case. Their best-case scenario looks like sonny getting a boat load of jail time. But I guess that's better than being the parents of "that loony sicko who blew him self up and took half the school with him."

I'm glad they caught him.

Stoop Dawg
4/23/2008, 02:58 PM
McDonald said Schallenberger will be charged with federal counts of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, attempting to use explosives on a building that gets federal funding, and using interstate commerce to obtain explosives to be used against people and property.

From the story his intent seem obvious, but really, he didn't actually *attempt* anything, did he?

If I write in my journal that I hate Person X, and I buy a gun, am I now guilty of "attempted murder"? I guess the drawing of the school, depending on what it shows, could constitute a "plan" of sorts.

the_ouskull
4/23/2008, 03:01 PM
i'm not sure why they would call that a "weapon of mass destruction"

Well, technically, "Weapon of Minor Destruction" would still be a Dubya Emm Dee, right?

the_ouskull

yermom
4/23/2008, 03:28 PM
i figure they are just expanding the definition so that Saddam really did have them ;)

shaun4411
4/23/2008, 03:32 PM
From the story his intent seem obvious, but really, he didn't actually *attempt* anything, did he?

If I write in my journal that I hate Person X, and I buy a gun, am I now guilty of "attempted murder"? I guess the drawing of the school, depending on what it shows, could constitute a "plan" of sorts.

considering the recent history of disturbed, mad teenagers shooting people in public places, overreacting by the authorities seems relevant.

yermom
4/23/2008, 03:41 PM
at what point does the crime worth life in prison occur though?

what about the 16 year old kid that writes a story for English about taking his dad's gun and shooting up the school? what if he just writes it in a journal and someone finds it in his room?

this one is a bit different since he actually procured Ammonium Nitrate. i remember seeing bags of that stuff laying all over the place in the early 90's

olevetonahill
4/23/2008, 06:29 PM
Theres TONs of it around here .
And Like Mike said . If I wanted to make a bomb I could go In my Kitchen and crank out a few differant types in just a little Bit .
Dont Dare turn me lose In My shop , I could Blow the town up .
Thats Kinda like that Bogus " Being In possesion of a Precurser " for Crank .

Jerk
4/23/2008, 06:49 PM
Wow! Poor parents dropped a dime on their son and now he could spend his LIFE in prison, and they're worried about his education? WTF? Hey, you know what they say; "Bad things happen when you invite The Man into your life." A severe ***-beating by the step-father could have taken care of this.