PDA

View Full Version : they can end Oklahoma's two-year stranglehold on the Big 12 title.

milesl
4/22/2008, 11:08 PM
Who are these experts ?

Daniel, Tigers focused on winning Big 12 championship
By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Any signs that complacency might have affected Chase Daniel were quickly erased early in Missouri's spring practice.

During a routine practice in which the Tigers' defense had made one too many stops to suit him, Missouri's senior quarterback was in coach Gary Pinkel's ear for most of the last few periods of their work that day.

Chase Daniel
Chase Daniel threw for 4,306 yards and 33 TDs in 2007.

"He was telling me, 'Coach, we've got to put the ball on the 30-yard line, offense versus defense. We've got to do it. We've got to do it,'" Pinkel said.

The veteran coach's instincts told him not to risk injuries at the end of a long practice, but Daniel's persuasive powers eventually won out.

"That's Chase Daniel," Pinkel said. "He could have easily just sat back and finished practice off after that. It would have been no big deal. But it was so important to him. And then to top it off, he went down there and finished the practice by winning [the drill] on that drive."

Daniel returned to the field this spring with renewed intensity after the Tigers' landmark 12-2 season in 2007. It's led to soaring expectations heading into Saturday's Black and Gold Game (ESPNU, 2 p.m. ET).

The Tigers claimed their first Big 12 North Division title, topped by a Cotton Bowl victory over Arkansas that was their first New Year's Day bowl triumph since 1966. And their No. 4 ranking in the final Associated Press poll was the highest finish in school history.

By nearly every measure, it was a banner season. Except for a Big 12 championship game loss to Oklahoma that knocked them out of a one-week stay as the nation's No. 1 team, the Tigers and Daniel accomplished almost every goal set before the season.

For his part, Daniel still burns about the championship game loss, one of Missouri's two defeats to the Sooners last season.

"That game was a long time ago and I'm not going to get into it," said Daniel, who ranked fifth nationally with 4,306 passing yards and tossed 33 touchdown passes. "It doesn't really matter now."

Instead, he's focusing on leading the Tigers to their first Big 12 championship. And with 16 starters back from last season, the Tigers could accomplish that feat.

"The air of confidence has definitely changed," said Daniel, who became Missouri's first Heisman finalist since Paul Christman in 1939-40. "Everyone knows we can win and how to win. Now we just have to go out and do it, putting in the time to try to get better."

Pinkel embraces the renewed hopes around the program.

"I've always said I'd like to be picked to win the championship every year because that shows that people respect the program," Pinkel said. "Last year, we were picked by the media to win the division. We did OK and passed that test. Now, it's whether you come back and do it again and meet and reach your potential. And you know what, we'll find out."

Jeremy Maclin
Jeremy Maclin accounted for 2,776 all-purpose yards as a freshman.

The Tigers are a fashionable choice to crack the top 10 again and are the overwhelming early choice to win the Big 12 North Division. Many experts are predicting they can end Oklahoma's two-year stranglehold on the Big 12 title.

The Missouri offense is expected to be just as potent with the return of Heisman candidates Daniel and Jeremy Maclin, who was voted a consensus All-American during his freshman season.

But there will be some challenges. Tailback Tony Temple, the only back in Missouri history with back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons, dropped an appeal for a medical redshirt to the NCAA and declared for the NFL draft. Tight end Martin Rucker, who led all Division I-A tight ends with 84 receptions and had more receptions than any player in school history, also has departed.

The Tigers also lose two stalwarts on their offensive line with the departure of left tackle Tyler Luellen and center Adam Spieker, and lose key reserves Monte Wyrick and Chris Tipton.

At running back, four returnees are challenging to replace Temple. Senior Jimmy Jackson leads all returning backs with 331 rushing yards last season. Sophomore Derrick Washington averaged 5.1 yards per carry in limited 2007 playing time. Redshirt freshman De'Vion Moore and senior Earl Goldsmith also have received a look this spring.

Tight end Chase Coffman appears recovered after offseason surgery to clean up bone spurs in his ankle that hampered him last season. Coffman needs only 46 receptions to break Rucker's career reception record.

"You know it's going to happen and you prepare for when it does," Pinkel said about the departures. "You recruit and develop players, and it gives other opportunities for other players."

Despite the loss of Rucker, Maclin said that the Tigers' receiving corps could be better in 2008. Danario Alexander, the team's projected starter before a knee injury in the opener last season, has recovered and is ready to go.

"We can always get better," said Maclin, who broke the NCAA's freshman all-purpose yardage record with 2,776 yards. "Everybody says we have such a great passing attack. But that overshadows all the drops we had. And if we can get better, we can make our offense even more explosive."

Gary Pinkel
Gary Pinkel led the Tigers to their first Big 12 North Division title and a Cotton Bowl win last season.

Ten starters return from a defense that ranked among the Big 12's top four in scoring defense, rushing defense and pass efficiency defense.

"There's no question we were an entirely different defense at the end of the year as the guys got experienced," Pinkel said. "Our expectation level is raised as we have experienced players and expect to be good."

The Tigers, though, are battling injuries this spring on defense. Their linebacking corps has been injury-ravaged with only three healthy players. Starting linebacker Sean Weatherspoon has practiced this spring with a torn labrum and will undergo surgery Monday. Safety William Moore, whose eight interceptions in 2007 was a team-high, has missed spring practice after shoulder surgery.

Marquis Booker was dismissed from the team in March, and Connell Davis quit the team early in practice. Starting strongside linebacker Van Alexander tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, sidelining him for at least four months.

"I don't think it affects us much," Pinkel said. "Against our offense, we're in a nickel 95 percent of the time. Now, if we ran the ball from the I formation, it would be a bigger factor. But we want to get players ready for the season."

National attention is squarely focused on the Tigers. Daniel had an ESPN camera crew follow him to school for a day earlier this spring. He and Pinkel have already thrown out opening pitches at St. Louis Cardinals games this season. And Missouri fans are hungry for more success.

"We accomplished a lot last year -- more than any Missouri team in history except for maybe the 1960 team," Daniel said. "And for us, we just want to go out and play well again. Our team knows what it takes to get there. And I'm the guy who's trying to lead it."

Tim Griffin covers Big 12 sports for ESPN.com. You may contact him at [email protected].

Sooner_09
4/22/2008, 11:29 PM
They won't even beat the whorns. Book it

MAJ W
4/23/2008, 04:21 AM
Too bad they can't get opposing teams to put the ball on the 30 to start their drives...

auto
4/23/2008, 06:28 AM
Yawn

IronSooner
4/23/2008, 06:43 AM
I'm sorry, is winning division titles a big deal now? [snooze]

soonerloyal
4/23/2008, 07:37 AM
Hey, everybody's gotta have a goal, a hope, a dream...

It's our job to dash 'em. :cool:

soonerinabilene
4/23/2008, 08:10 AM
They are returning almost every star player from a team that made it to the big 12 title game and got snubbed from a bcs bowl. Its not going to be easy to get a 3rd one. Not saying we shouldnt be the favorites, but to think its already ours is just stupid.

SeattleOUstudent
4/23/2008, 09:13 AM
Remember that we play @ Waco this year....one game at a time, guys.

JLEW1818
4/23/2008, 09:26 AM
Tell him to grow!

r5TPsooner
4/23/2008, 09:36 AM
Two year strangle hold? I think that OU has pretty much owned the Big XII since Stoops & Co. arrived on the scene. Sure we leased it out a few times, but two years?

I don't think so!

Breadburner
4/23/2008, 09:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEW8_KVhDFE

Outopia
4/23/2008, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry, is winning division titles a big deal now? [snooze]

Yeah,,,, haven't you heard? Old Mack Brown will get you a ring if you finish first, or tie, for the division title. Leave those musty old championship trophies for the sooners.

PDXsooner
4/23/2008, 09:55 AM
mizzou has to beat texas to even be considered second-best. however, it is nice to see some teams in the big 12 step up not named oklahoma and texas.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 10:14 AM
They are returning almost every star player from a team that made it to the big 12 title game and got snubbed from a bcs bowl. Its not going to be easy to get a 3rd one. Not saying we shouldnt be the favorites, but to think its already ours is just stupid.

Have they consistently won. NO! So why do people believe they are going to be great this year. They will have at least 3 losses and if they even make it to the title game OU will smoke them just like they did last year. They talked all that "disrespect" last year before we kicked the crap out of them then. I'm sick of the lovefest everybody has for Mizzou. OU has owned the Big 12 the last 8 years and we will contnue to do so.

OUDoc
4/23/2008, 10:25 AM
Chase doesn't have sack. He'll buckle like he always has, IMO.

BillyBall
4/23/2008, 10:33 AM
"That game was a long time ago and I'm not going to get into it," said Daniel, who ranked fifth nationally with 4,306 passing yards and tossed 33 touchdown passes. "It doesn't really matter now."

Im sure it doesnt bother him at all that 3 of his poorest performances of his college career have come against our D. Probably never crosses his mind...

soonerinabilene
4/23/2008, 10:50 AM
Have they consistently won. NO! So why do people believe they are going to be great this year. They will have at least 3 losses and if they even make it to the title game OU will smoke them just like they did last year. They talked all that "disrespect" last year before we kicked the crap out of them then. I'm sick of the lovefest everybody has for Mizzou. OU has owned the Big 12 the last 8 years and we will contnue to do so.

Did we consistently win in the 90's before Stoops came? No. Missouri is a scary team. Daniels was Lofton's b*tch both times we played last year, but Lofton is gone. We have new lbs. He returns his playmakers. If he crawls into his shell again, they dont have a chance. But everybody saw against other teams why he is a Heisman favorite. And dont think for a minute we wouldnt be the consensus #1 to start the year if he was our qb.

Now im not saying at all that I want him over Bradford, but to say he isnt a great qb with a great team this year is assinine.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 12:22 PM
Did we consistently win in the 90's before Stoops came? No. Missouri is a scary team. Daniels was Lofton's b*tch both times we played last year, but Lofton is gone. We have new lbs. He returns his playmakers. If he crawls into his shell again, they dont have a chance. But everybody saw against other teams why he is a Heisman favorite. And dont think for a minute we wouldnt be the consensus #1 to start the year if he was our qb.

Now im not saying at all that I want him over Bradford, but to say he isnt a great qb with a great team this year is assinine.

Last time I checked we weren't living in the 90's. We're talking about next year. If they were going to beat us then it should have been last year. They played us twice last year and got beat by double digits both times. He only has Maclin and Coffman coming back and a new running back, so I'm not real scared of the run game. IF THEY MAKE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, he'll get rattled by our D-line and we will own him again. Sam Bradford is 10 times the QB that midget is and I wouldn't wish for any other QB in the league. We wouldn't be anymore a consensus #1 with him at QB. He is overhyped or maybe you didn't see the *** kicking we gave Mizzou twice last year.

stoopified
4/23/2008, 12:46 PM
Last time I checked we weren't living in the 90's. We're talking about next year. If they were going to beat us then it should have been last year. They played us twice last year and got beat by double digits both times. He only has Maclin and Coffman coming back and a new running back, so I'm not real scared of the run game. IF THEY MAKE IT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, he'll get rattled by our D-line and we will own him again. Sam Bradford is 10 times the QB that midget is and I wouldn't wish for any other QB in the league. We wouldn't be anymore a consensus #1 with him at QB. He is overhyped or maybe you didn't see the *** kicking we gave Mizzou twice last year.I think the noob is dead on.

Blitzkrieg
4/23/2008, 12:48 PM
He is overhyped or maybe you didn't see the *** kicking we gave Mizzou twice last year.

Yeah, that was total domination in Norman. Reminds me of talk with Texas fans the night before the 2000 RRSO. Heupel? "He sucks, he couldn't score against texas once we got used to the scheme."

OU would quite possibly been nat'l champs last year with CD and would be a consensus #1 right now, not that it matters where you start. I can only imagine what CD could do behind our O-line, and with our defense on the other side of the ball to give him field position. In case you didn't notice, n one but us stopped them all year, and they layed the wood to Tech and CU. They played at a consistently high level, soemthing we have not done for a few years.

Bradford is a good system QB, but so was McCoy his frosh year. The thing that worries me was his body language at the R&W game after those picks. He needs to lead, I hope coach Heupel can help him in that department.

Why would anyone assume Texas can beat a quality opponent? MU was a legit top 5 program last year, why would they not get that consideration preseason now?

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that was total domination in Norman. Reminds me of talk with Texas fans the night before the 2000 RRSO. Heupel? "He sucks, he couldn't score against texas once we got used to the scheme."

OU would quite possibly been nat'l champs last year with CD and would be a consensus #1 right now, not that it matters where you start. I can only imagine what CD could do behind our O-line, and with our defense on the other side of the ball to give him field position. In case you didn't notice, n one but us stopped them all year, and they layed the wood to Tech and CU. They played at a consistently high level, soemthing we have not done for a few years.

Bradford is a good system QB, but so was McCoy his frosh year. The thing that worries me was his body language at the R&W game after those picks. He needs to lead, I hope coach Heupel can help him in that department.

Why would anyone assume Texas can beat a quality opponent? MU was a legit top 5 program last year, why would they not get that consideration preseason now?

It wasn't our QB play that hurt us last year. It was or DB's.

SteelClip49
4/23/2008, 12:52 PM
Division Titles are monumental for some

http://www.championship-rings.net/index.php?target=products&product_id=30758

MojoRisen
4/23/2008, 01:00 PM
Trash talking is all good and fine~ No way we should ever be looking past a team lke MIZZOU-

We do seem to get our best Defensive Performances against the Mizzou Spread though the last 3 times we played them and we have owned them. Wish it was that way all the time or against TECH.

They should be damn good- they destroyed ARKIE - I do think they will slip up once or twice in the Big 12 this year.

soonermix
4/23/2008, 01:03 PM
Have they consistently won. NO! So why do people believe they are going to be great this year.

Last time I checked we weren't living in the 90's. We're talking about next year.

all i am saying is that is really is ok for experts to make them their pick for next season. lots of returning starters that at one point in the season was ranked #1 in the nation as i recall.

but you just can't use the argument about their history and then conveniently forget about ours.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 01:04 PM
I agree we should not look past them because Daniels is a good QB, but he's not great, but who is he going to be getting the ball to other then Maclin and Coffman? Rucker and Temple are gone. They also lose left tackle and Adam Speiker the center who was a Rimington finalist and an All-American.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 01:07 PM
What I mean by that is that since Stoops has been here we have been consistently good and under Pinkel they have not. The coaches that we have now is what I'm comparing not what we did in the 90's. Our history with Stoops isn't too bad. Pinkel has not had the same success.

Animal Mother
4/23/2008, 01:14 PM
It may not be so much a lovefest towards Mizzou as it is the
writers/experts(?) are tired of OU winning.
And before someone else says it, yeah losing too.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 01:41 PM
If the experts think that Mizzou will end our streak then why does ESPN have us ranked ahead of them in the preseason poll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3240529

soonermix
4/23/2008, 01:54 PM
What I mean by that is that since Stoops has been here we have been consistently good and under Pinkel they have not. The coaches that we have now is what I'm comparing not what we did in the 90's. Our history with Stoops isn't too bad. Pinkel has not had the same success.

fair enough and i agree with you on that point. but alsoi don't want to get ahead of myself and just assume that last year was a fluke for mizzou. stoops had the luxury of being at oklahoma and already having a squad of very good players that just needed some coaching up hence we can win a national championship in his second year.
pinkel does not have that kind of luxury and he had to build up from scratch.
i am not trying to say we won't win or anything but they could put up a good fight.

silverwheels
4/23/2008, 01:58 PM
Missouri has an easy road to Kansas City. Toughest games will be @ Texas and the neutral site game with Kansas to close the regular season. They do play @ Nebraska, but I don't think the Huskers are there yet.

Our path to the Big 12 CCG isn't so easy, but I like our chances against them if we make it to KC.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 02:29 PM
I said 3 losses for Mizzou and it may just be 2. I think Nebraska is going to have some passion they haven't had over the last couple of years back and with the home crowd it's going to be difficult to win. I also believeTexas hasn't lost to the same team 2 years in a row except for the 5 they lost to us.

Civicus_Sooner
4/23/2008, 03:48 PM
Funny how in Norman, 12-2 causes depression. In Colombia, it's the best season since 1960.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 03:55 PM
Funny how in Norman, 12-2 causes depression. In Colombia, it's the best season since 1960.

Could not agree more. I am not trying to hate Mizzou. I just think people get so hyped over what somebody did one season. They don't have a proven track record of winning and they haven't done half of what we have.

soonermix
4/23/2008, 04:10 PM
sometimes that is all it takes for a team to turn the corner. one play one game one season.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 04:13 PM
Here's to hoping they go 13-1.

sooneron
4/23/2008, 04:17 PM
The quote was "they can beat us". Well, not many were saying that CU, WV, or TT could beat us last year. Do I think they will beat us if we make it to KC? Don't really think so, but that game will be in their backyard. Should be a really good game.
A lot of teams can beat the Sooners, as well as themselves.

silverwheels
4/23/2008, 04:18 PM
Here's to hoping they go 13-1.

That could still mean a Big 12 or National Title. I hope they lose like 4 games, that way we can see Chase act like a little girl 4 times this Fall.

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 04:30 PM
When they 12-0 and we go 12-0 and we kick that a** in the Big 12 Championship then that will just be even sweeter.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/23/2008, 05:00 PM
I agree we should not look past them because Daniels is a good QB, but he's not great, but who is he going to be getting the ball to other then Maclin and Coffman? Rucker and Temple are gone. They also lose left tackle and Adam Speiker the center who was a Rimington finalist and All-American.

Spieker is from my hometown and he as well as 2 of their other lineman are going to be missed. Spieker was a 4 year starter and I believe the other 2 starters were 3-year guys. Add in Rucker as well and while Maclin and Coffman are both weapons, MU is much less explosive in my opinion. If they are in the hunt next year it is because their defense has improved.

RedstickSooner
4/23/2008, 05:40 PM
They should be damn good- they destroyed ARKIE - I do think they will slip up once or twice in the Big 12 this year.

I would like to propose a resolution:

"Be it herewith resolved, as we know that we sucketh not, that we shall from this time forth disregard bowl game performance as an indication of team talent & ability. At least until such time as our own bowl performance catches back up to how good we really are."

Sure, Mizzou will be a dangerous foe.

So'll we.

goingoneight
4/23/2008, 10:02 PM
fair enough and i agree with you on that point. but alsoi don't want to get ahead of myself and just assume that last year was a fluke for mizzou. stoops had the luxury of being at oklahoma and already having a squad of very good players that just needed some coaching up hence we can win a national championship in his second year.
pinkel does not have that kind of luxury and he had to build up from scratch.
i am not trying to say we won't win or anything but they could put up a good fight.

Wrong totally on the Stoops part. Do you even remember the alpha to omega difference between 1998 and just the first year under Stoops?

Let me remind you...

Guys were horribly out of shape. Guys were horribly out of position. Attitude was terrible and no one believed in themselves. John Blake decided just out of the blue whenever he wanted to change the offense... there was no Josh Heupel. There was a crappy scheme with out of shape players.

In comes Stoops and players are dismissed and moved around left and right, far and wide to fit a designed system to get us going. We instantly went from craptacular to a team everybody knew and feared again. Stoops didn't just walk into a goldmine and coach someone else's players up. It was one of the best rebuilding and coaching jobs in CFB history... do I need to show you LASooner's 2000 video?

Pinkel, OTOH, has been mediocre for years until all of a sudden he finally lands the right QB for his Mickey Mouse offense and has a team chock-full of seniors. Nice season... but don't put your chips in on Chase "Lock-knees" Daniel quite yet. I look for him to have a nice senior season, but nothing I'd wager better than your average Texas Tech team. They have to worry about winning their division before they go and talk MNC and all that other delusional crap.

And FWIW, the BCS bowls take conference champions with a few 'at large' teams. If Chase Daniel felt so 'screwed,' maybe he'll learn to represent himself and his university with class. The Orange Bowl Committee already said they picked Kansas because of the feel good story and the overall "class" displayed. Not the case for a guy who starts fights whenever his team loses and screams obscenities on National TV. Kansas was the OBC's choice to make, and KU was a good one. You want to talk about screwed? How about 31 points worth of scoreboard over Mizzou and we finished below that overrated team. What, because they won an exhibition bowl game against a coachless team?

Blitzkrieg
4/24/2008, 10:24 AM
MU should roll up the north. They wil lbe the foe in KC as long as Daniel doesn't get injured. Their o-line losses aren't as huge as they first might appear, you can hide a lot of warts with the spread offense. Maclin is our biggest recruiting loss since Stoops arrived, that kid is explosive. He and Murray on the same field would have been something to see, and hell to defend. I personally thought Temple was so overrated, and again, you don't need an NFL back in the spread offense to make it function.

We have a much tougher road to KC, mainly the two aggie schools. Those are tough road games everytime. Throw in at Mancrappin, another tough road site. Life aint easy, but that's what makes it interesting.

soonermix
4/24/2008, 10:35 AM
Wrong totally on the Stoops part. Do you even remember the alpha to omega difference between 1998 and just the first year under Stoops?

Let me remind you...

Guys were horribly out of shape. Guys were horribly out of position. Attitude was terrible and no one believed in themselves. John Blake decided just out of the blue whenever he wanted to change the offense... there was no Josh Heupel. There was a crappy scheme with out of shape players.

In comes Stoops and players are dismissed and moved around left and right, far and wide to fit a designed system to get us going. We instantly went from craptacular to a team everybody knew and feared again. Stoops didn't just walk into a goldmine and coach someone else's players up. It was one of the best rebuilding and coaching jobs in CFB history... do I need to show you LASooner's 2000 video?

Pinkel, OTOH, has been mediocre for years until all of a sudden he finally lands the right QB for his Mickey Mouse offense and has a team chock-full of seniors. Nice season... but don't put your chips in on Chase "Lock-knees" Daniel quite yet. I look for him to have a nice senior season, but nothing I'd wager better than your average Texas Tech team. They have to worry about winning their division before they go and talk MNC and all that other delusional crap.

And FWIW, the BCS bowls take conference champions with a few 'at large' teams. If Chase Daniel felt so 'screwed,' maybe he'll learn to represent himself and his university with class. The Orange Bowl Committee already said they picked Kansas because of the feel good story and the overall "class" displayed. Not the case for a guy who starts fights whenever his team loses and screams obscenities on National TV. Kansas was the OBC's choice to make, and KU was a good one. You want to talk about screwed? How about 31 points worth of scoreboard over Mizzou and we finished below that overrated team. What, because they won an exhibition bowl game against a coachless team?

um aren't all of these things a direct result of coaching???
Guys were horribly out of shape. Guys were horribly out of position. Attitude was terrible and no one believed in themselves.

soonerfan28
4/24/2008, 11:03 AM
The North will come down to Neb and Missouri and I don't think anyone is giving Pelini enough credit for how good that D is going to be. I can't see Missouri going up there and winning. When you lose an All-American center who was also a Rimington finalist then it is going to hurt.

soonerfan28
4/24/2008, 11:04 AM
um aren't all of these things a direct result of coaching???
Guys were horribly out of shape. Guys were horribly out of position. Attitude was terrible and no one believed in themselves.

Yes, coaching by Blake.

soonerfan28
4/24/2008, 11:06 AM
Maclin is awesome, but his attitude sucks. He wanted to go to Missouri where he wouldn't have to compete for playing time. Not that he wouldn't get that at OU, but we have much better talent and he wouldn't get near as many touches.

picasso
4/24/2008, 12:21 PM
boogers!

Jacie
4/24/2008, 07:29 PM
Here's a short history lesson and you don't have to think back very far. A team that has focused their entire season on beating Oklahoma typically lost a game they should have won before meeting the Sooners and still got beat handily by OU. MU will face some very good teams during the regular season. They may be favorites to win the North Division, but don't go betting on em being undefeated if they are already thinking about the Big XII Championship game. A wise old trailhand might have said this: If you are too preoccuppied worrying about the bear on the other side of the hill, you could get bit by the snake lying right in front of you.

Sooner-Magic
4/25/2008, 02:05 AM
I also believeTexas hasn't lost to the same team 2 years in a row except for the 5 they lost to us.

They lost Big Aggie the last two years.

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/25/2008, 07:42 AM
OU - KU for the big 12

silverwheels
4/25/2008, 12:42 PM
OU - KU for the big 12

Kansas loses too many players and their schedule gets a lot tougher. It's still Missouri's to lose at this point.

soonerfan28
4/25/2008, 02:02 PM
OU - NU

Flagstaffsooner
4/25/2008, 03:35 PM
Mizzou is ranked far ahead of everyone right now. (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/category/fulmer-cup/)

TheHumanAlphabet
4/25/2008, 04:20 PM

Getting in late into this conversation...

Not discounting Mizzou strength, but until they can beat OU on a regular basis, I will question whether they can be Big XII Champs. Not to say they can't or won't, but they had 2 opportunities last year and couldn't get it done...

soonerfan28
4/25/2008, 05:27 PM
It wsn't even close either time. Yes I know at home it ws close until late, but then The booger eater just quit on his team and we seperated. I can't understand how any OU fan could give Mizzou such props when they talked all that crap about how they gave us the game at home and they should have won and they beat themselves and we didn't beat them. They got there a***** handed to them both times and until they step on the field against us and win then we should just they say that they can't hold OU jocks.

badger
4/25/2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry, I just can't take Mizzou seriously with flashbacks to qb Roid Rage sitting on a gatorade bucket pouting.

Oh, and this:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/496/headpantiehy7.jpg

oh, and that youtube video, of course :D

Easting
4/25/2008, 06:16 PM
Straight?

josh09
4/26/2008, 12:53 AM
Bring em on baby.

SteelClip49
4/26/2008, 10:08 AM
Merv Johnson was an assistant at Mizzou under Devine during their 1960 undefeated run. The loss to KU was later turned into a win due to a KU violation but the discovery was made too late and Minnesota (ended with 2 losses) was named the national champion.

badger
4/26/2008, 01:00 PM
Everyone that has video view this now:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3363429&categoryId=2564308

Chase Daniel: "Hey, they got a car that sings. Roll on top of his head, dude. Wahh! Wahh!"

I am not making that up :D

Charla
4/26/2008, 02:45 PM
Kinda looks like they are starting to sound like OSUX

recemp
4/26/2008, 07:40 PM
Please don't make me go to Phoenix again

goingoneight
4/27/2008, 01:12 AM
Kinda looks like they are starting to sound like OSUX

In that... you beat the crap out of them at home, tear their hearts out in their place and embarass them on National TV and they still think they're on level or perhaps on the rise to become better than you?

OU_Sooners75
4/29/2008, 03:36 PM

So you bought into the CD lovefest?

In case you dont know it. Bradford was the #1 rated QB last year. We couldn't win the NC last year with the #1 rated QB, what makes you think we would have with the 15th ranked QB last year?

Yes Daniel's numbers look awesome. But lets dont forget one thing. The entire line.
Att: 563 Comp: 384 Comp %: 68.25 Yards: 4306 TD: 33 Int: 11 Yds/att: 7.65
TD %: 5.86. Rating: 147.9

Bradford as a Freshman: Att: 341 Comp: 237 Comp %: 69.50 Yards: 3121 TD: 36 Int: 8 Yds/att: 9.15 TD %: 10.56. Rating: 176.5

Again, what makes you think Daniel would have gotten us to the National Championship game?

:eek:

OU_Sooners75
4/29/2008, 03:59 PM
What does it matter anyway?

Missouri schedule:

08/30/08 vs. Illinois (played in St. Louis) L
09/06/08 vs. SE Missouri St. W
09/13/08 vs. Nevada W
09/20/08 vs. Buffalo W
10/04/08 @ Nebraska L
10/11/08 vs. Oklahoma St W
10/18/08 @ Texas L
10/25/08 vs. Colorado W
11/01/08 @ Baylor W
11/08/08 vs. Kansas State W
11/15/08 @ Iowa State W
11/29/08 vs. Kansas (in Kansas City) L

Pathetic Schedule. Only 4 times does Missouri have to leave the state of Missouri. Unfortunately for them, 2 of them will be losses.

I see Missouri going 8-4 and missing the Big 12 Championship this year.

I honestly thought last year, Missouri overachieved.

silverwheels
4/29/2008, 04:04 PM
They could go undefeated with that schedule. Can't see them losing to Illinois or Kansas, with the players that both of those teams lost after last year.

AzianSooner
4/29/2008, 07:35 PM
If they beat the whorn, I am convinced.

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 09:00 PM
Nebraska, Texas and Illinois = 3 losses. No doubt they'll lose those 3, but Kansas is questionable. They still suck.

shaun4411
4/29/2008, 09:56 PM
i dont see missouri losing to illinois.

soonerfan28
4/29/2008, 10:09 PM
They won't be the team we saw last year. No doubt.

royalfan5
4/29/2008, 11:05 PM
Nebraska will get beat by Missouri at home. Pelini may be an upgrade, but that just means we will keep teams in the 30's and 40 instead of 50's and 60's.

soonerfan28
4/30/2008, 07:57 AM
Nebraska wins at home. Mark it down. When Missouri can show up for more then one season let me know and I'll eat my crow. Until then they still suck.

royalfan5
4/30/2008, 09:01 AM
Nebraska wins at home. Mark it down. When Missouri can show up for more then one season let me know and I'll eat my crow. Until then they still suck.
Perhaps you aren't familar with the fact that Nebraska is not very good at football any more? I don't think NU's gang of scrappy walk-ons are going to slowdown much of anybody next year.

soonerfan28
4/30/2008, 09:08 AM
I understand they haven't been good since Solich, but I think they will be a completely different team this year. I can't see Mizzou being nearly as explosive this year on offense and their defense will be subpar so I figure it will be defensive game and that is were Pelini will win.

royalfan5
4/30/2008, 10:06 AM
I understand they haven't been good since Solich, but I think they will be a completely different team this year. I can't see Mizzou being nearly as explosive this year on offense and their defense will be subpar so I figure it will be defensive game and that is were Pelini will win.

different in the sense that the NU defense will be slower and smaller than the 3rd worst defense in college football last year.

Blitzkrieg
4/30/2008, 12:57 PM
Pelini will bring Nu back, just not next year. Remember stoop in 99 couldn't match up to CU and UT, as well as Notre Shame,Tech, and Ole Miss. None of those teams were a legit top 5 team, Mizzou is. The cupboard is not bare in lincoln, but it is hardly stocked with speed, and MUs spread will be very formidable next year.

Anyone that picks one or two departing seniors from a team that lost to only one other team all year and proclaims that team as dead meat is delusional. We lost much more than MU did, think what they are saying about us losing Lofton, he was a one man defense at times versus MU. When you have a legit top 5 QB, and CD is, then you have an offense. Look at our 2000 offense, did a single one of those guys do anything for real in the NFL? It was unstoppable at times because of Heupel and his ability to find mismatches. Daniel is that good, and to deny that is really bizzare, and totally homerish. It sounds like the crap we heard out of Stilwater about this time last year how OSU had 3 QBs that would start for OU and that Reid might win a heisman. Bradford is a good QB behind a stellar O-line. He needs to improved rapidly this year away from home, and we can talk about titles.

It doesn't make you less of a sooner fan to actually acknowledge other players that are good and their abilites might be more impressive than the guy that wears your colors. Not one coach in the USA would take Bradford over CD right now if they had a one shot season for the title. Stoops included. That said I hope we pummel his arse into the cold, frozen KC turf next year and I'll be thrilled when Bradford hoists his second Big 12 title trophy.

soonerfan28
4/30/2008, 01:11 PM
I acknowledge they have talent on that team, but I don't see CD as a better QB then Bradford. I am sure that their are people who would take CD over Bradford I am not one. They have yet to prove that they can be a top 25 team year and year out. They are probably saying look what OU lost, but we have been able to put double digit win seasons together year in and year out (not counting 2005) with different players. They don't have the same talent that we have and when they lose a few players it hurts a team like Mizzou more then it does us. You have to admit that when you have Maclin it makes you look pretty damn good at times. What I saw was him fall apart late in both games he played against us.

OUDoc
4/30/2008, 01:18 PM
Missouri fell flat on their faces after being ranked #1 last year.
I think they'll find the target of being pre-season favorites will be too much for them. It is for most teams.

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 11:25 AM
The loss of Temple and Rucker, along with 3 OLinemen is enough to convince me that Missouri's offense will not be anywhere close to what it was last year. I think they will be dangerous, but not explosive like in 2007. Their defense will yet again be very suspect.

Also, last year was Missouri's best year ever. Is it possible to match or do better? Yes. Is it likely with thier losses to the OL and at key offensive positions? No.

Don't believe me? who led Missouri last year in receptions? Rucker. Who led Missouri in Rushing? Temple.

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 11:29 AM
The loss of Temple and Rucker, along with 3 OLinemen is enough to convince me that Missouri's offense will not be anywhere close to what it was last year. I think they will be dangerous, but not explosive like in 2007. Their defense will yet again be very suspect.

Also, last year was Missouri's best year ever. Is it possible to match or do better? Yes. Is it likely with thier losses to the OL and at key offensive positions? No.

Don't believe me? who led Missouri last year in receptions? Rucker. Who led Missouri in Rushing? Temple.

Couldn't agree more. When you lose your center who was a Rimington Award finalsit it may hurt a little.

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 11:35 AM
Anyone that picks one or two departing seniors from a team that lost to only one other team all year and proclaims that team as dead meat is delusional. We lost much more than MU did, think what they are saying about us losing Lofton, he was a one man defense at times versus MU. When you have a legit top 5 QB, and CD is, then you have an offense. Look at our 2000 offense, did a single one of those guys do anything for real in the NFL? It was unstoppable at times because of Heupel and his ability to find mismatches. Daniel is that good, and to deny that is really bizzare, and totally homerish. It sounds like the crap we heard out of Stilwater about this time last year how OSU had 3 QBs that would start for OU and that Reid might win a heisman. Bradford is a good QB behind a stellar O-line. He needs to improved rapidly this year away from home, and we can talk about titles.

Who said anything about Missouri is going to be dead meat next year?

Fact #1. In 2007, at 12-2 Missouri had their best season in their history. That is going to be hard to repeat or to improve on. Dont think so? OU has more talent than Missouri and it seems OU cannot get over that 12-2 hump.

Fact #2. OU fans have seen first hand how hard it is to replace your best running back in history. Missouri doesn't have the stable of RBs as OU does.

Fact #3. OU has also found out how hard it is to replace three pretty good Offensive linemen. and one of the top TE's in the nation. All in one season.

Yes, Missouri has a fairly good QB in Daniel. But he is nothing more than a overhyped Brad Smith. Yes, they have Maclin, which had a wonderful freshman season. But against good solid defenses, he was shut down, so he is no Michael Crabtree. Which means what will he do when teams actually start to double team him in coverage?

Point being, it will be tough for Missouri to put together a better season in 2008. Especially looking at their last 100 years of football.

Blitzkrieg
5/2/2008, 11:02 AM
Opinions are just that, it's my opinion Mu will have the most explosive offense in the Big12 next year, and only time will tell.

OU lost Adrian petersen and the offense improved dramatically. Tennessee lost Peyton Manning and won a national title the next year. We lose Kelly, Lofton, Finley, Hartley, Wolfe, Walker, Baker, Dotson, yet we feel quite certain we'll befine without them.

MU manhandled the north, no one really was close last year, and all north teams have substantial losses, so when the pundits say MU to win the north, they are making the smart educated guess. To call CD another brad smith is one of the more bizarre statements on this thread, considering Brad Smith couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but was so athletic he could take off and run and make good things happen. CD is very accurate and crisp and reads a defense well.

Again, if there was anything else in the north that had a pulse, it might be a tougher pick, but right now you have to logically assume MU takes the north as easily as they did last year.

soonerfan28
5/2/2008, 11:16 AM
Until they can win consistently they are a 1 year wonder.

ric311
5/2/2008, 06:58 PM
Missouri is the hands-on favorite to win the North. No doubt about it. KU has lost way too much, and their recruiting isn't at a level where they can simply replace what was lost. Nebraska sucks. No really, they suck. All this talk about what Bo is going to do there is pure fantasy. He's never been a head coach before and his assistants are a bunch of castoffs from other programs. KSU has a multiple personality disorder that will keep them from competing in the North. Iowa State is Iowa State. Colorado is still a year away from challenging. That leaves Missouri.

Anything can happen in college football, but a rematch of last years' CCG wouldn't surprise me in the least. The game will be a home game for Missouri, and they will be motivated.

Blitzkrieg
5/3/2008, 09:43 AM
Hey ric311, what will Cu be like this year? Didn't really get to follow them much last year.

soonerfan28
5/3/2008, 08:21 PM
You are right that Pelini hasn't been a HC, but he should have had that job after they stupidly fired Solich. He may not get it done this year, but the defense will be a lot better this year then last and the game is being played in Nebraska. They may not win, but it will be closer then people think. I think people forget that they were in the Big 12 championship just 2 years ago. This time last year nobody was saying look out for Mizzou. Everybody had Nebraska picked to win the North and then the head coach showed up. I know people are saying look at what Mizzou has coming back, but I think more importantly it is what they lost that matters.

Youngsooner
5/3/2008, 08:27 PM
To me, I think Mizzou could be really good, I really don't think their defense will be as good as every thinks it'll be though. I could really see them going undefeated to the CCG. But I can't help but feel Mizzou is being WAY over hyped. OU will be just as good if not better and if we don't just slip up, we could very well be undefeated and go to the CCG. Mizzou will be hungry to beat us if its a rematch, but I still see OU as the better team in both offense and defense.... and btw as far as character and personality goes... I'd MUCH rather have Sam Bradford than CD... and I hope SB gets another chance to light up mizzou in another CCG :)

Jacie
5/4/2008, 07:53 AM
If misery were in the South Division, the only point of discussion would be whether they will finish third or fourth.

King Crimson
5/4/2008, 08:22 AM
Hey ric311, what will Cu be like this year? Didn't really get to follow them much last year.

i'm not ric, but CU should be better than last year but a killer OOC schedule with Florida State and Wess Virginny. they play at KU and at Missouri (lost both of those games in Boulder last year) and get Texas and at ATM on the south rotation.

i'd guess they win 7 games next year, top end.

Cody Hawkins is a decent QB, but isn't John Elway. will be interesting to see Darrell Scott who some have ranked as the best RB recruit in the nation. as a local, i'm not sold on their DC.

Dan Hawkins will always win a contest where the subject is "Dan Hawkins".

Dano7198
5/4/2008, 09:27 AM
Who said anything about Missouri is going to be dead meat next year?

Fact #1. In 2007, at 12-2 Missouri had their best season in their history. That is going to be hard to repeat or to improve on. Dont think so? OU has more talent than Missouri and it seems OU cannot get over that 12-2 hump.

Fact #2. OU fans have seen first hand how hard it is to replace your best running back in history. Missouri doesn't have the stable of RBs as OU does.

Fact #3. OU has also found out how hard it is to replace three pretty good Offensive linemen. and one of the top TE's in the nation. All in one season.

Yes, Missouri has a fairly good QB in Daniel. But he is nothing more than a overhyped Brad Smith. Yes, they have Maclin, which had a wonderful freshman season. But against good solid defenses, he was shut down, so he is no Michael Crabtree. Which means what will he do when teams actually start to double team him in coverage?

Point being, it will be tough for Missouri to put together a better season in 2008. Especially looking at their last 100 years of football.

Good stuff right there !!!! 100 % agree.

ric311
5/5/2008, 06:18 PM
i'm not ric, but CU should be better than last year but a killer OOC schedule with Florida State and Wess Virginny. they play at KU and at Missouri (lost both of those games in Boulder last year) and get Texas and at ATM on the south rotation.

i'd guess they win 7 games next year, top end.

Cody Hawkins is a decent QB, but isn't John Elway. will be interesting to see Darrell Scott who some have ranked as the best RB recruit in the nation. as a local, i'm not sold on their DC.

Dan Hawkins will always win a contest where the subject is "Dan Hawkins".

:lol:

Yeah, Hawk likes to talk about himself a lot. But it's usually in a self-depreciating way. He's fun to listen to.

CU could end up winning 9 games or losing 8. They were very close to beating FSU last year and will be getting them the week their players come off of suspension. The WVA game is in Boulder. There's a stretch of 5 games against WVA, FSU, Texas, Kansas and I think A&M that could be brutal. Win 3 out of those 5 and they'll be in terrific shape.

I can't blame you guys for doubting Missouri, but they are a very good team. OU took them last year by having a consistent pass rush from their front 4, which enabled them to drop their LB's into coverage. What amazed me was that WVA plays basically the same thing, but OU couldn't get the same results. Losing a few of their O-Line is going to hurt, but I still think Mizzou is the team to beat in the North.

CU is still a year away. Give D Scott and the O-Line one year under their belt and they will be fantastic. 2009 is the year we're all looking at as the break out year.

OUmillenium
5/6/2008, 10:20 AM
:lol:

Yeah, Hawk likes to talk about himself a lot. But it's usually in a self-depreciating way. He's fun to listen to.

CU could end up winning 9 games or losing 8. They were very close to beating FSU last year and will be getting them the week their players come off of suspension. The WVA game is in Boulder. There's a stretch of 5 games against WVA, FSU, Texas, Kansas and I think A&M that could be brutal. Win 3 out of those 5 and they'll be in terrific shape.

I can't blame you guys for doubting Missouri, but they are a very good team. OU took them last year by having a consistent pass rush from their front 4, which enabled them to drop their LB's into coverage. What amazed me was that WVA plays basically the same thing, but OU couldn't get the same results. Losing a few of their O-Line is going to hurt, but I still think Mizzou is the team to beat in the North.

CU is still a year away. Give D Scott and the O-Line one year under their belt and they will be fantastic. 2009 is the year we're all looking at as the break out year.

This makes me think that the OU players who missed the bowl game really had a big influence on how we played (or didn't play) and the final result.

OU_Sooners75
5/6/2008, 01:20 PM
Opinions are just that, it's my opinion Mu will have the most explosive offense in the Big12 next year, and only time will tell.

OU lost Adrian petersen and the offense improved dramatically. Tennessee lost Peyton Manning and won a national title the next year. We lose Kelly, Lofton, Finley, Hartley, Wolfe, Walker, Baker, Dotson, yet we feel quite certain we'll befine without them.

MU manhandled the north, no one really was close last year, and all north teams have substantial losses, so when the pundits say MU to win the north, they are making the smart educated guess. To call CD another brad smith is one of the more bizarre statements on this thread, considering Brad Smith couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but was so athletic he could take off and run and make good things happen. CD is very accurate and crisp and reads a defense well.

Again, if there was anything else in the north that had a pulse, it might be a tougher pick, but right now you have to logically assume MU takes the north as easily as they did last year.

1. Temple was not adrian peterson. Adrian got the bulk of our rushing offense because of the talent he is. And he very seldom caught passes out of the backfield.
2. Temple was not only Missouri's leading rusher he was also their leading receiver in receptions. and second in receiving touchdowns, one behind Maclin.
Temple was more involved with Missouri's offense than Peterson was while at OU.
So it is going to be tougher this year for Missouri to utilize their unexperienced running backs.

soonerfan28
5/6/2008, 01:24 PM
I think they will miss the center they lost just as much. I don't know who it will be, but doesn't he make the calls at the line.

OU_Sooners75
5/6/2008, 01:34 PM
I think they will miss the center they lost just as much. I don't know who it will be, but doesn't he make the calls at the line.

On offense they will be replacing their RB, X-WR, LT, C, and TE.

cheezyq
5/7/2008, 11:21 AM
They lost Big Aggie the last two years.

And K-State...