PDA

View Full Version : Bands you really didn't like/know until you saw them live and they RYFO

TheUnnamedSooner
4/22/2008, 05:44 PM
1. Metallica (one of the best live performances ever)
2. Rancid (didn't know but like 2 of their songs but ROCKED onstage)
3. Foo Fighters (always seemed to be better than the band they were opening for)
4. Korn (hated them til I saw them live)
5. Kid Rock (I still can't stand him, but he put on one damn good show).
6. The Ramones

TheUnnamedSooner
4/22/2008, 05:49 PM
Almost forgot:

Godsmack - already liked them, but their gig made me more of a fan

4/22/2008, 05:57 PM
Dread Zeppelin (at the Brewery)

What a great time!

SoonerInKCMO
4/22/2008, 06:05 PM
Quiet Riot. Went to the Helix/Whitesnake/Quiet Riot concert to see Whitesnake and then Kevin Dubrow and Carlos Cavazo RMFO. Which is weird because I saw them on the telecast of the US Festival and was none too impressed with them.

birddog
4/22/2008, 06:07 PM
chevelle.

SoonerInKCMO
4/22/2008, 06:10 PM
Oh - that reminds me... The (female) friend of mine that went to the Hinder/Chevelle/Nickelback show with me would say Hinder in answer to this question. But I think that's mostly because of the male strippers that came on stage with them. :D They said it was a prank by the Nickelback guys but I don't know. ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
4/22/2008, 06:14 PM
The Offspring - halfway through the show they take a break and the Backstreet boys song comes on. Then blow up dolls that looked like the backstreet boys inflated on stage. The offspring come running back onstage with baseball bats and beat them all to hell. it was great.

King Crimson
4/22/2008, 06:14 PM
Rage Against the Machine. never heard of em, about the time the first record came out. they played in a small club. my buddy said we gotta go see this, I went. they played for about 40 minutes (it was all the songs they had).....it was pretty frickin cool.

no idea what to expect, anything. my buddy says: "man, these guys are gonna be huge".

KC//CRIMSON
4/22/2008, 06:38 PM
Kansas with Steve Morse. Stupid good.

Rogue
4/22/2008, 06:54 PM
U2
Jack Johnson (count as a band?)
Yonder Mountain String Band
Old Union

Cam
4/22/2008, 07:11 PM
Cowboy Mouth: The most energy I've ever seen on stage.

King Crimson
4/22/2008, 07:21 PM
this doesn't really count but i saw Yes in 1993 maybe and was deeply skeptical to see the middle aged, prog dinosaurs...but it was awesome. great live show....even with the 25 minute solos and rotating stage.

i always dug fragile, the yes album, and scenes from topographic etc. but i wasn't really too excited to go.

SoonerInKCMO
4/22/2008, 08:12 PM
Mary Cogan. The types of songs people were telling me she sang left me cold. Then I saw her and warmed up.

Oof. (she's the blonde)

http://www.gtrnews.com/images/1873.jpg

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 08:33 PM
I knew these guys and even had at least one of their albums but I never realised just how good they were until I saw them LIVE one night at an outdoor venue.

Little Feat

kbsooner21
4/22/2008, 09:07 PM
Godsmack

yermom
4/22/2008, 11:22 PM
Sully Erna's dueling solo with the drummer when they played with Metallica was awesome

Ozzy is probably the one that sticks with me the most, i saw him at Ozzfest in 97 in STL. it was a great show. i never really thought all that much of him before that

Pantera was also really kickass at that show

texas bandman
4/22/2008, 11:39 PM
Bob Dylan (okay not a band, but oh well) I was never a fan until my future wife drug me to one of his concerts while we were dating. I was more of a Beach Boys fan before then, I guess she educated me. :D

4/23/2008, 03:15 AM
Ozzy is probably the one that sticks with me the most, i saw him at Ozzfest in 97 in STL. it was a great show. i never really thought all that much of him before that

I first saw Ozzy in ’85 with a little-known Motley Crew opening. He was fat, bleached and shirtless.

He was barking at the moon.

Amen.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2008, 08:50 AM
Pearl Jam....Dennis Rodman stole the show from them that night tho

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2008, 08:51 AM
ZZ Top did also..

proud gonzo
4/23/2008, 09:13 AM
Cher. One of my friends had an extra ticket back in 2002 and invited me--Cher puts on a hell of a show.

crawfish
4/23/2008, 09:23 AM
I didn't like the Talking Heads until I saw their live movie, then they became one of my favorite bands.

kbsooner21
4/23/2008, 10:38 AM
Bob Dylan (okay not a band, but oh well) I was never a fan until my future wife drug me to one of his concerts while we were dating. I was more of a Beach Boys fan before then, I guess she educated me. :D

Probably the worst concert I've ever been to. The drunk could barely mumble to the beat. Horrible. The fact that it was 110 degrees at the Zoo Amphitheatre probably didn't help matters either :D

BillyBall
4/23/2008, 11:16 AM
Kings of Leon - They opened for Dylan a few years back and I had only heard a song or 2 on the radio before that day. They absolutely whip *** live.

mxATVracer10
4/23/2008, 12:43 PM
3 Doors Down and 12 Stones were impressive last night. I mainly went to see Chevelle (they were cut short and only got to play 6-8 songs:mad:) but found out these bands can also RMFO. Red I could have done without, but they were aiet...

Dio
4/23/2008, 12:49 PM
Godsmack- I'd heard them on the radio, but figured they'd just come out and half-*** their way through their set. WRONG- they kicked major ***.

dw17
4/23/2008, 01:20 PM
LA Guns. They jammed. (Rome 90)
Metallica in '86-87? (it's a blur) with Ozzy at State Fair arena. I liked them but after live on the Master of Puppets tour I was floored.
Pirates Of the Mississippi (tiny place in Marlow)
Pillar (tiny venue in Pauls Valley)

but number one would be David Crowder Band. I liked thier songs but after the live show, I was a super huge fan. It was completely awesome.

Taxman71
4/23/2008, 02:05 PM
Hootie & The Blowfish - thought they were coffee-drinking, chick rock, but put on a heck of a show.

The Marley kid who recently opened for VanHalen - was hoping to miss his act entirely, but ended up really liking his sound and set.

NormanPride
4/23/2008, 02:21 PM
Yes. I went for the Alan Parsons Project, stayed for Yes, got sick from everyone smoking ganja, and left. But I still loved their music!