PDA

View Full Version : Layed Off

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 03:48 PM
Well...

The Wife got blindsided yesterday with a Corporate layoff.

After nearly 20 years she got the boot.

Her schedule was packed with a huge to do list and they sent her packing.

I know the folks who make decisions have their heads up their rears.

Probably Aggies or Whorns is my guess.

There's a severance package but it will be a little tough to make it on my salary so she's got the ole resume all shined up and printed on new paper and ready to go.

We'd appreciate your good thoughts and prayers that she finds a Company who deserves and needs her talents.

TIA

ST

sooner_born_1960
4/22/2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to her in her job search.
Prayers for all of you.

dolemitesooner
4/22/2008, 04:28 PM
That sucks bro hope everything works out.

Mjcpr
4/22/2008, 04:29 PM
Did she work in a call center?

crawfish
4/22/2008, 04:35 PM
That stinks. Thoughts and prayers your way.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/22/2008, 04:37 PM
The Best to her. Sounds like she has the proper attitude to be hired soon.

r5TPsooner
4/22/2008, 04:55 PM
Best of luck to you and your family. The status of the nation's economy is becoming very alarming.

colleyvillesooner
4/22/2008, 04:57 PM
Best of luck. Hang in there.

olevetonahill
4/22/2008, 04:57 PM
Dayum Bro , Hope It all works out for Yall
Will say a prayer or 20 for Yall .

Boomer.....
4/22/2008, 05:03 PM
Sorry to hear that. Prayers sent.

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 05:05 PM
Did she work in a call center?

Nope. That's how she started though.

She's been fixing the broken English of the folks who butcher our language though. :D

NormanPride
4/22/2008, 05:15 PM
What's her profession? Maybe someone on the 'ol SO can help out?

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/22/2008, 05:58 PM
She's been fixing the broken English of the folks who butcher our language though. :D

Deer Lord could we ever use her hear. :D

Good luck to your family, ST.

4/22/2008, 06:00 PM
Dadgum. Hang in there.

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 06:33 PM
Blindsided after 20 years? Their loss, the dickweeds.

My prayer is that the Ms. Stooptroupness finds a much better job and an employer who fully appreciates her talents and the old company falls apart and rues the day that they let her go. Amen.

SoonerBOI
4/22/2008, 06:58 PM
heartfelt prayers for your family.

tommieharris91
4/22/2008, 07:35 PM
yea, what does she do?

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 07:40 PM
What's her profession? Maybe someone on the 'ol SO can help out?

We've gotten close a couple of times before but they always gave her 2 weeks to find a job internally. She actually had interviewed and got a new position however they weren't able to budget it in as this was a Company wide reduction, so she got the layoff. I'd bet they were going after a certain teir of folks is my guess.

She's a Tech Writer / Instructor / Business Analyst.

She's worked a lot with programmers the last few years documenting user manuals, system requirements, use cases and developing and implementing on-line training. She also was the Company Representative that was responsible for making sure the customer's concerns were being met and she kept track of the implementation. Lots of conference calls which she was usually the scribe for as well as a team member. Her last position before this one, she was Project Management in Production Support.

She has a degree in Journalism.

tommieharris91
4/22/2008, 07:53 PM
She should just put that on her resume. Add to that the fact that she worked for 20 years with same company and she'll be hired pretty quick. I dunno what it means for you and your family though.

It's things like this that have me worried about getting a job when I graduate. I'll have to be competing against people with lots of experience in the working world, and I fear that employers will take the people with experience over people who don't.

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 07:58 PM
Tommie that could happen however she called the Company every week for 8 months with very little computer experience when she started and they hired her. You take a few jobs sometimes that will allow you to find a mentor. Then you get the experience that lands the job you really want. That's really all she did. It's been a learning process since. I'm thinking she'll find a new position soon but you never know.

Thus...we asked for the prayers and well wishes.

You'll do fine.

tommieharris91
4/22/2008, 08:06 PM
Well, I think that, then I see the OK labor numbers and I think if I stay in Oklahoma I'll be fine.

Good luck to your wife. I hope she can find another good job around where y'all live.

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks TH.

Cam
4/22/2008, 08:39 PM
We've gotten close a couple of times before but they always gave her 2 weeks to find a job internally. She actually had interviewed and got a new position however they weren't able to budget it in as this was a Company wide reduction, so she got the layoff. I'd bet they were going after a certain teir of folks is my guess.

She's worked a lot with programmers the last few years documenting user manuals, system requirements, use cases and developing and implementing on-line training. She also was the Company Representative that was responsible for making sure the customer's concerns were being met and she kept track of the implementation. Lots of conference calls which she was usually the scribe for as well as a team member. Her last position before this one, she was Project Management in Production Support.

Does she have her PMP or any other certifications yet? If not, she should get it. With her experience, she should pass the certification with flying colors. Even without it, she appears to have the experience that employers are looking for.

Okla-homey
4/22/2008, 08:40 PM
isn't she also a helicopter pilot?

I would think a helicopter pilot who could also properly conjugate a verb phrase would be a hawt commodity.;)

She and you guys will be fine. Granny always said "farred? Don't fret none honey. You was looking fer a job when you found the last 'un."

Srsly.

P.S. You gotta love Okies who lived through the Thirties and WWII. And she was right.

Mjcpr
4/23/2008, 08:51 AM
I think M and VK did or do work in some kind of a similar field......maybe. :)

They might be able to give you some leads.

nmsoonergirl
4/23/2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully this will open an even better door for her.

Still sucks, tho.....Good luck with everything.

texas bandman
4/23/2008, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear this. Twenty years at the same company should mean something, but in the current economic climate, it's the people who have been around a long time that the companies cut to help the bottom line. Young is cheap. Dang bastages!

TUSooner
4/23/2008, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to her in her job search.
Prayers for all of you.

Exactly.
Best wishes for you. Keep the faith; it may open up something better than you imagined.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/23/2008, 10:10 AM

you interested in moving to seattle? last i checked there were only about a 1000 open reqs for this skillset...

OUDoc
4/23/2008, 10:23 AM
Good luck to you guys.

Don't move to Seattle, their basketball team sucks. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/23/2008, 10:57 AM
Good luck to you guys.

Don't move to Seattle, their basketball team sucks. ;)

we have a basketball team?

OklahomaTuba
4/23/2008, 11:46 AM
She should be ok here in Tulsa. The economy is doing well for the small to medium size companies that are in the energy sector right now.

Animal Mother
4/23/2008, 02:21 PM
Division Order Analyst work for energy companies like Chesapeake and Devon.
If your wife has been imbedded for 20 years that will mean much to energy companies.
Seems like everyone we hire around here is some snot nosed kid that has no work ethic and stays on message boards all day………………………………………………..
Gotta go.

StoopTroup
4/24/2008, 04:02 PM
Well....

Thank to all of you for the kind words.

She went to a headhunter yesterday and has an interview with an Oil company tomorrow. They were looking for someone just like her and the headhunter said she's the best qualified person they have sent for an interview yet. He seems to think they'll snap her up.

You all are the best.

ST

StoopTroup
5/3/2008, 07:16 PM
We are a two income Family again!

The Wife starts the new job 1 week from this Monday!

Thanks again to all of you for your prayers, good thOUghts and well wishes.

SoonerFans are the greatest!

OKC-SLC
5/3/2008, 07:33 PM
Excellent.

Chuck Bao
5/3/2008, 07:42 PM
Congrats SoopTroup wife. May your work always be fun and rewarding.

AggieTool
5/3/2008, 07:58 PM
Not to worry!

Obama to the rescue!:)

GottaHavePride
5/3/2008, 08:40 PM
Congrats, Stoop! May all your stretches between jobs be that short!

soonerboomer93
5/3/2008, 09:36 PM
congrats, hope all goes well

olevetonahill
5/3/2008, 11:24 PM
Fandamtastic , Now If Only My wife would get a Job .
Oh wait I dont have a Wife .:cool:

Scott D
5/4/2008, 09:48 AM
We are a two income Family again!

The Wife starts the new job 1 week from this Monday!

Thanks again to all of you for your prayers, good thOUghts and well wishes.

SoonerFans are the greatest!

good to hear the wife landed on her feet. Best of luck to her in her new occupation

StoopTroup
5/14/2008, 06:03 PM
Wifey's first day was today.

She's on the 7th floor of this place and has an office with a window. :D

20 years of cubicles...the old place lets her go and two weeks later is bought out by Hewlitt-Packard. I hope they go through the old place and give the ones who made the stupid decisions a taste of the unemployment line.

She says the view was specatcular today from her new office. :D

OU4LIFE
5/15/2008, 07:24 AM
I knew this would turn out really well.

excellent. Sooner Magic.

Scott D
5/15/2008, 08:45 AM

20 years of cubicles...the old place lets her go and two weeks later is bought out by Hewlitt-Packard. I hope they go through the old place and give the ones who made the stupid decisions a taste of the unemployment line.

that's probably been my favorite part about previous jobs where I was let go. Hearing about the person who let me go, get let go themselves...mostly for being incompetent.

SoonerInKCMO
5/15/2008, 09:36 AM

Ahhh... yes, those people are some **********s when it comes to the layoffs. Good on her for getting a better gig than what they took away from her - living well is the best revenge.

NormanPride
5/15/2008, 10:04 AM
Congrats to Mrs.ST!

badger
5/15/2008, 10:12 AM
Congrats.

It is a tough business world out there. We had a few layoffs a few months ago and the person who had to relay the message to the people (it wasn't his decision) was in tears having to tell them.

However, it sounds like she's in a better place now (sounds like a eulogy, eh?) and sounds like they got sent to Hewlit Packard hell (teehee).

I once struggled with changing jobs - I wasn't laid off, mind you, but I had a different reason for needing to move immediately. I found that the new job and new town were far better than the old job in the old town. How bout that?

Cam
5/15/2008, 08:00 PM

Congrats to the wife.

My gut tells me I'm a couple weeks away from a pretty decent severance check.

olevetonahill
5/15/2008, 08:11 PM
Congrats to the wife.

My gut tells me I'm a couple weeks away from a pretty decent severance check.

Well we can Pray for you to .
Good Luck Cam

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2008, 09:48 PM
Congrats Mrs. ST.

Hope you enjoy the new view.