PDA

View Full Version : Crimes Related Of The Community Hate (C.R.O.T.C.H.)

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 01:17 PM
If we are so gung ho in our global fight on The War on Terrorism (TWAT), why are we so soft in our in our local fight on Crimes Related Of The Community Hate (CROTCH).

So, Oklahoma doesn’t have a Hate Crimes Bill?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but burning crosses and God Hates Fags graffiti and random acts of violence meant to drive out or silence minorities should be considered terrorism, locally grown terrorism, no?

Condescending Sooner
4/22/2008, 01:25 PM
Are you comparing 9/11 and suicide bombings to graffiti?

BigRedJed
4/22/2008, 01:26 PM
I'm completely down with the facts that the actions you mentioned are evil, senseless acts that should be punished. I think the prevailing opinion, though, is that there are laws already on the books to deal with all such actions. They should be enforced stringently.

But passing "hate crimes" legislation, which amplifies the punishment based upon the target, or upon the supspect's intentions, is often more about policing thought rather than action, and that is a slippery slope.

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 01:36 PM
Are you comparing 9/11 and suicide bombings to graffiti?

Okay, if you are playing this game, how many hate killings in the US or in Oklahoma? Let's just forget about all of that and focus only on 9/11 and all of our hatred on foreigners and on foreigners who had nothing to do with 9/11. That makes sense.

This was supposed to be a copy cat thread, but I guess it struck a nerve.

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 01:41 PM
I'm completely down with the facts that the actions you mentioned are evil, senseless acts that should be punished. I think the prevailing opinion, though, is that there are laws already on the books to deal with all such actions. They should be enforced stringently.

But passing "hate crimes" legislation, which amplifies the punishment based upon the target, or upon the supspect's intentions, is often more about policing thought rather than action, and that is a slippery slope.

Please step back a second and think about what you just wrote. This is just not random violence and a crime. If you are a minority and the intended victim, it was meant just for you. It was meant to drive you out or possibly kill you. How confident are you that the laws on the books will protect you? That is one slippery slope.

85Sooner
4/22/2008, 01:44 PM

ditto on this

Frozen Sooner
4/22/2008, 02:04 PM

You do realize that the legal codes of every state already have differing degrees of punishment for several crimes based on the intent of the criminal, right?

Hate crime legislation does not "police thought." You can be every bit the racist bastard you want to be (speaking in the general you-BRJ is not a racist) but when you commit crimes specifically to strike fear into certain members of the population based on their race, religion, gender, whatever, that in and of itself should be a crime.

Condescending Sooner
4/22/2008, 02:07 PM
Okay, if you are playing this game, how many hate killings in the US or in Oklahoma? Let's just forget about all of that and focus only on 9/11 and all of our hatred on foreigners and on foreigners who had nothing to do with 9/11. That makes sense.

This was supposed to be a copy cat thread, but I guess it struck a nerve.

I don't know, how many hate killings were there? Not many. How do you know if it was a hate killing or just a regular killing? Does a straight white murder victim deserve less time for the perp than a minority or gay murder victim? Where is the hatred of foreigners? Most people I know don't hate foreigners, just terrorists.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/22/2008, 02:13 PM
Is love killing the opposite of hate killing? and I guess love crime would be the opposite of hate crime

JohnnyMack
4/22/2008, 02:21 PM
This is the worst copy cat thread ever.

Way to go Jed. :bsmf:

sooner_born_1960
4/22/2008, 02:24 PM
I tend to agree with Jed more than Mike on this one.

soonermix
4/22/2008, 02:24 PM
This is just not random violence and a crime. If you are a minority and the intended victim, it was meant just for you.

what if it was any minority that happened to be at the wrong place and the wrong time. wouldn't that make the act random. since it could be any member of that specific minority?

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 02:30 PM
I don't know, how many hate killings were there? Not many. How do you know if it was a hate killing or just a regular killing? Does a straight white murder victim deserve less time for the perp than a minority or gay murder victim? Where is the hatred of foreigners? Most people I know don't hate foreigners, just terrorists.

Listen up, we (US taxpayers) are spending trillions of dollars and going into debts that won't be paid off for a generation or so on the current global fight against terrorism. I'm not debating this issue, but I am trying to debate the issue that domestic terrorism does occur and it should equally be combated for what it is. Any crime meant to intimidate, drive out or kill minorities should be given extra measure under the law.

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, this is the worst copy cat thead ever and I accept that. That BEWBS one is much better.

This one was inspired by this.

After a night of partying in Oklahoma City, a gay resident returned to his car outside the Copa nightclub to find that it and several others had been vandalized. Carber, as the man prefers to be identified, was with a friend the night of April 12 when he discovered that the passenger-side window of his car had been smashed in with a cement block, which had a note attached to it that read, "fag." Carber's car was the only one with such a note, he noted to police.

“They treated it like a regular car break-in," he told The Advocate. "The same thing happened to my roommate. It wasn’t in the gay district. His car windows were smashed in, and things were stolen, and they treated my case the same way,”

Oklahoma does not currently have a hate-crimes law, which would result in enhanced penalties for the alleged vandals if found guilty.

“The way the cop put it, he was really nice about it, but he said they didn’t take anything, and they understood that it was a hate crime and would file it as such, but ultimately it was a car break-in,” Carber said. The Oklahoma City Police Department was unavailable to speak with The Advocate.

Nick Post, who owns the Copa and other Oklahoma City night clubs, said that he was unaware of the vandalism outside his establishment.

“We’ve never had any kind of antigay vandalism as far as I’m aware of since I’ve been here,” he said. (Natalie Camunas, The Advocate)

Condescending Sooner
4/22/2008, 05:14 PM
So if you threw a brick through my window with "Straight guy" written on it, would that be a hate crime or just destruction of private property?

Chuck Bao
4/22/2008, 05:35 PM
So if you threw a brick through my window with "Straight guy" written on it, would that be a hate crime or just destruction of private property?

It depends. Was it meant to intimidate you? Are you afraid for your life and property because of it? Are you going to take this as a personal threat and live in fear of it?

You know, the basics of terrorism.

My point is that hate crimes should be included in the war on terrorism.

The Oklahoma legislature is dropping the ball here.