PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Chief Rips Air Force Over War

JohnnyMack
4/21/2008, 10:10 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24238978/

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Monday the Air Force is not doing enough to help in the Iraq and Afghanistan war effort, complaining that some military leaders are "stuck in old ways of doing business."

Gates complained in a speech at the Air University on Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., that getting the Air Force to send more surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft to Iraq and Afghanistan has been "like pulling teeth."

The Pentagon chief praised the Air Force for its overall contributions but made a point of urging it to do more and to undertake more creative ways of thinking about helping the war effort.

Homey?

Okla-homey
4/21/2008, 03:55 PM
I think SSC and all AWACS aircraft should immediately deploy to SWA, splitting their time between Kabul and Balad AB in Iraq for the foreseeable future. That would solve all problems ASAP.

Srsly, I'm not sure what Gates is talking about. Our manned air-breathing surveillance and recce birds aren't designed or built to find Achmed as he buries a roadside bomb, or to pick five bad guys out a neighborhood and mark them for death by air-launched weapons.

Drones like Predator are and we have a metric buttload of those already in theater.

One of the Principles of War (adopted by all services) is the notion of Economy of Force. That principle involves choosing the right force for a given mission. IMHO, USAF air-breathing recce and surveillace is not the right force for that mission. I also don't agree that drones that can kill people and break things should be flown by people who aren't trained pilots. Moreover, we can't just train a bunch of RPV guys because they would be useless in the air-to-air mision that is the raison d'etre of the USAF.

Now, if Achmed had MiGs and he was flying them around the theater shooting up stuff, then we'd be all over that like a cheap suit.

SoonerStormchaser
4/21/2008, 07:41 PM
I think SSC and all AWACS aircraft should immediately deploy to SWA, splitting their time between Kabul and Balad AB in Iraq for the foreseeable future. That would solve all problems ASAP.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Don't worry...depending on which operational squadron I get into once I'm mission qualified, I could be playing in the sandbox by November. But they usually let the first timers sit out the first round so they can get totally spun up. But if the call comes through, I'll go.

Jerk
4/21/2008, 07:53 PM
Convert all of those airmen into riflemen. Every one of them. Now!

Okla-homey
4/22/2008, 05:29 AM
Don't worry...depending on which operational squadron I get into once I'm mission qualified, I could be playing in the sandbox by November. But they usually let the first timers sit out the first round so they can get totally spun up. But if the call comes through, I'll go.

:rolleyes:

Okla-homey
4/22/2008, 05:35 AM

You should volunteer to go as soon as you're MR. There's a war on you know. Bottomline: If you're not deployed by the time football season starts, you're a weenie. And better not I hear a FNG is at home during this upcoming Christmas. It's the FNG's job to be gone so the experienced guys have a shot of being home with their families for the holidays. Especially FNG's with no kids old enough to know anything about Christmas.

Desert Sapper
4/22/2008, 06:25 AM
Convert all of those airmen into riflemen. Every one of them. Now!

Hence this whole 'blue to green' concept.

http://www.goarmy.com/btg/

Somebody with multiple stars recognized the ever-present need for Soldiers over Airmen/Sailors. Hopefully we won't need a huge Air Force or Navy for a while. That would mean that we are facing a very scary conventional force.

SoonerStormchaser
4/22/2008, 06:47 AM
You should volunteer to go as soon as you're MR. There's a war on you know. Bottomline: If you're not deployed by the time football season starts, you're a weenie. And better not I hear a FNG is at home during this upcoming Christmas. It's the FNG's job to be gone so the experienced guys have a shot of being home with their families for the holidays. Especially FNG's with no kids old enough to know anything about Christmas.

I won't even be mission qualified til September AT THE EARLIEST...it's all dependent on weather, availability of jets, and whether or not those jets are in maintenance. It's not gonna be up to me.

Okla-homey
4/22/2008, 06:52 AM
I won't even be mission qualified til September AT THE EARLIEST...it's all dependent on weather, availability of jets, and whether or not those jets are in maintenance. It's not gonna be up to me.

You can push it. That's your job. Be eager. Volunteer to fly anytime an instructor is available.

Besides, how hard can it be? You guys just make repeated left turns at FL290 right? ;)

anyway, I'd bet they'll work hard to get you MR so they can ensure you're deployable by the time the holidays roll around. We always did. It helps cut some slack for the guys who have already missed a bunch of holidays.

SoonerStormchaser
4/22/2008, 03:44 PM
You can push it. That's your job. Be eager. Volunteer to fly anytime an instructor is available.

Besides, how hard can it be? You guys just make repeated left turns at FL290 right? ;)

anyway, I'd bet they'll work hard to get you MR so they can ensure you're deployable by the time the holidays roll around. We always did. It helps cut some slack for the guys who have already missed a bunch of holidays.

Why do you think I started on IQT six days after reporting in? I'll fly as often as I possibly can...and if they send me to the sandbox or to South America right off the bat, ok fine. If not, ok fine. Now that I've finally got what I want...I'll be happy to give them what they want...

StoopTroup
4/22/2008, 04:03 PM
Dayum...you got Homey on you now.

Your gonna be there before you can think about carving the turkey is my guess.

SoonerStormchaser
4/22/2008, 04:07 PM
Dayum...you got Homey on you now.

Did he ever get off me? ;) :eek:

JohnnyMack
6/5/2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24988491/

Update: Air Force Secretary & Chief of Staff are out.

afs
6/5/2008, 12:47 PM
oh it's a fun time to be a mbr of the USAF

TheHumanAlphabet
6/5/2008, 01:13 PM
Wonder when the RIF will commence?

I know, not likely...

yermom
6/5/2008, 01:40 PM
oh it's a fun time to be a mbr of the USAF

hang in there

SoonerStormchaser
6/5/2008, 03:14 PM
hells yah...especially after just hearing about all this as I step off the jet this afternoon after a sortie...

Melo
6/5/2008, 04:00 PM
I'm ready to go.:mad:

Okla-homey
6/5/2008, 04:11 PM
I'm ready to go.:mad:

How's the jogging going? Those shins and ankles toughening up? I bet so.

It's "mind over matter." If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Melo
6/5/2008, 04:21 PM
How's the jogging going? Those shins and ankles toughening up? I bet so.

It's "mind over matter." If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Theyre all healed.

When I first started running, (About 3 months ago) I was running my 1.5 mile in about 17:00. I could only get out about 12 push ups in 2 minutes about about 25 sit ups.

Now, my last 1.5 mile time was 14:29, my last set of push ups was 33 in 2 min and 54 sit ups in 2 min.

Plus, in 3 months, I went from 117 pounds to about 125.

Im only getting better, and I am ready to get out of here and handle my business.

Okla-homey
6/5/2008, 05:26 PM
Theyre all healed.

When I first started running, (About 3 months ago) I was running my 1.5 mile in about 17:00. I could only get out about 12 push ups in 2 minutes about about 25 sit ups.

Now, my last 1.5 mile time was 14:29, my last set of push ups was 33 in 2 min and 54 sit ups in 2 min.

Plus, in 3 months, I went from 117 pounds to about 125.

Im only getting better, and I am ready to get out of here and handle my business.

That's the ticket! Now, just listen to one more thing ol Uncle Homey tells you. DO NOT "fall in love" in basic or tech school.

There's plenty of time for that after you get to your base.

Have fun, but you'll be very vulnerable during the first year because you'll be somewhat homesick and it will feel good to have some d00d pet on you and call you "sweetie" while the TI's and Tech School instructors are calling you everything but "sweetie."

I've seen lots of airman jump the broom because of those feelings and regret it later. Also, well...you know how things work. DO NOT get pregnant either. That can be dealt with if it happens of course, but it willl you serve to deny you your full potential and limit your opportunities at a critical time of your career.

Curly Bill
6/5/2008, 05:50 PM
That's the ticket! Now, just listen to one more thing ol Uncle Homey tells you. DO NOT "fall in love" in basic or tech school.

Have fun, but you'll be very vulnerable during the first year because you'll be somewhat homesick and it will feel good to have some d00d pet on you and call you "sweetie" while the TI's and Tech School instructors are calling you everything but "sweetie."

I've seen lots of airman jump the broom because of those feelings and regret it later. Also, well...you know how things work. DO NOT get pregnant either. That can be dealt with if it happens of course, but it willl you serve to deny you your full potential and limit your opportunities at a critical time of your career.

Very excellent advice! I personally didn't succumb to this temptation but I knew several that did. Many of them did this stationed in Japan, far away from home and fall in love with some little Japanese sweetie who'd give them the time of day, then have to go through the steps to marry up with them and bring 'em home. Now I like Asian girls quite a bit, and I saw a few that I wouldn't have minded bringing home...but it wasn't the ones these lonely fools were hitching up with.

It was my experience that the women service members were more likely to do this with a fellow service member. I question the long-term success of most of these relationships I witnessed.

Melo
6/5/2008, 08:12 PM

I wont "fall in love" in basic. Or tech school.
Ive already met a great man, I know hes "the one", or whatever other lame titles people put on it, so Im not worried about any distractions in basic or tech school. Hes being incredibly supportive, giving me all the advice that he can, and tells me often how proud he is of me.

As for becoming pregnant - I will do whatever it is that I have to do to avoid that situation. That is the LAST thing I want while I am in the AF.

SoonerStormchaser
6/5/2008, 08:24 PM
He needs to write you at least once a week in basic...it really helped my brother to get letters from the family...and it helped me get through OTS when the soon to be Mrs. SSC wrote me (of course, she found a way to write me more than once a week).

Melo
6/5/2008, 08:39 PM
Hes already promised me however many letters he can write, and he promised to send some pictures, as well. Hes in the army - he knows how much I will want him to write to me.

Hes also only an hour or two from SA, and I told him he better be at my graduation. He played the 'Well, I will see if I can make it...' card, though we both know that short of getting sent to Iraq again, he wont miss it for the world.

Rogue
6/5/2008, 09:39 PM
It's the Air Force fercryinoutloud, all ya hafta do is show up! ;)

Okla-homey
6/6/2008, 05:11 AM
It's the Air Force fercryinoutloud, all ya hafta do is show up! ;)

True enough. But because it is the Air Force, you actually have to bring your brain, and engage it too.;)

Rogue
6/6/2008, 05:17 AM
True enough. But because it is the Air Force, you actually have to bring your brain, and engage it too.;)

Touche', Colonel.

SoonerStormchaser
6/6/2008, 06:46 AM

****! That's what I've been forgetting all this time!:confused:

Okla-homey
6/6/2008, 07:28 AM
****! That's what I've been forgetting all this time!:confused:

You were obviously granted a brain waiver. It's prolly some sort of top-secret experiment. You should change your name tag to Lt. Sample Group.;)

6/6/2008, 08:56 AM
I've met Robert Gates on two occasions.

He is a person of short stature.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread.

SoonerStormchaser
6/6/2008, 11:17 AM
You were obviously granted a brain waiver. It's prolly some sort of top-secret experiment. You should change your name tag to Lt. Sample Group.;)

So that's why I have no memory of that event...but I'm sure I'll never forget it.