PDA

View Full Version : OK, is there any doubt that Alaska's governor is pretty cool?

Frozen Sooner
4/18/2008, 11:50 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ALASKA_GOVERNOR_BABY?SITE=AP

"Palin earlier joked about naming the baby Van Palin after the '80s rock group Van Halen."

And pretty deece looking to boot:

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/F/f3618682-b235-4119-b00f-89569b6cfc4c-big.jpg

Chuck Bao
4/19/2008, 01:00 AM
What guy names his son after a rock band?

Who's deece looking?

Well, if he is your type. Okay.

Can't tell much from the photo. He has a full head of hair and that curl thing on the forehead is kinda cute. The facial hair trimmed as it is may help to elongate his face, but the triangle shadow under his mouth gives him quite a scruffy look for a governor. Some may like that in Alaska, I guess. He does seem to be playing up the working class look with the plaid shirt and leather jacket, like a man's man sort of thing. But, who is that really, really ugly woman with the overbite he has his arm around? His sister? Not a good image for him.

King Crimson
4/19/2008, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't trade my own name for Track or Trig, jus sayin.

Chuck Bao
4/19/2008, 01:10 AM
I was trying to figure out KC's post and finally the link kicked in. Gee, I feel stupid. The governor is the woman who gave birth to a son who she named Trig.

Sorry.

Chuck Bao
4/19/2008, 01:27 AM
I'm going to be in serious trouble unless there is a drunky town thread here or I go out and protest the china olympics.

Okla-homey
4/19/2008, 06:23 AM
Here she is in a nude photo from the Awesome Eighties

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5416/71225823or9.png

Harry Beanbag
4/19/2008, 08:43 AM
I'd say nude photos provide greater evidence of her coolness than whatever she names her kids. :)

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry...she will never be as cool as this Governor:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/adc/10229354A~Terminator-2-Judgement-Day-Posters.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
4/19/2008, 12:55 PM
I'd say nude photos provide greater evidence of her coolness than whatever she names her kids. :)Harry, I hope to gawd that nude pics of our Gov never surface.:(

olevetonahill
4/19/2008, 12:57 PM
Sorry...she will never be as cool as this Governor:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/adc/10229354A~Terminator-2-Judgement-Day-Posters.jpg

HMM lets see , You Like Male Govs and Old women
Sorry Mag your Vote dont count :P

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not saying she's not hawt...but that Aahnuld is cooler.

Frozen Sooner
4/19/2008, 01:04 PM
Update:

The "challenges" referenced in the article: Trig Palin has Down's Syndrome.

Frozen Sooner
4/19/2008, 01:07 PM
Hm. First I've heard of nude pics of the Governor. I'd have to think those would've played pretty prominently during election season.

sooner2b09
4/19/2008, 04:01 PM
What guy names his son after a rock band?

I actually know a family with daughters named Haylen (Van Halen)

and Jovie (Bon Jovi)

yeahhh..

Okla-homey
4/19/2008, 05:06 PM
Update:

The "challenges" referenced in the article: Trig Palin has Down's Syndrome.

Very high risk of that when 40+ year women old get pregnant. Old eggs or something.

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2008, 05:21 PM
Very high risk of that when 40+ year women old get pregnant. Old eggs or something.

Ok, being married to someone who's gonna turn 46 here in another two months...and still trying to have a child, I have to call BS on that one.

In reality, if you sample 1000 women who had babies in their 40's and sample 1000 women who are in their 20's, you'll find that the same fraction in the 20's group had Downs babies as those in their 40's. The reason why you hear that a woman in her 40's has a higher risk of Downs is cause fewer women in their 40's are having children when compared to women in their 20's.

Frozen Sooner
4/19/2008, 05:36 PM
Um, no.

The reason you hear that a woman in her 40s has a higher risk of a child with Down Syndrome is because they have a higher risk of having a child with Down Syndrome.

http://www.ds-health.com/risk.htm

Table showing increasing occurence based on maternal age.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000815/825.html

"Down syndrome (trisomy 21) is the most commonly recognized genetic cause of mental retardation. The risk of trisomy 21 is directly related to maternal age."

And my error in writing it as "Down's" syndrome.

In reality, a woman having a child in her 40s-particularly her first child-has a much larger risk of having a child with Down Syndrome.

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2008, 05:42 PM
I've seen stats to the opposite...so we can sit here and debate it til our faces turn blue.

No thanks...

Frozen Sooner
4/19/2008, 06:10 PM
OK, but I'm not sure what we're debating. Medical science is pretty unanimous on this one, I think.

olevetonahill
4/19/2008, 08:46 PM
Keep shootin Frag

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2008, 09:25 PM
You know I am ;)

olevetonahill
4/19/2008, 09:45 PM
i really do wish yall luck:)

StoopTroup
4/19/2008, 09:49 PM
Who's down with what?

SoonerStormchaser
4/19/2008, 09:51 PM
I was...twice today, in fact!

StoopTroup
4/19/2008, 09:55 PM
Did they name a son Roy also?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/adc/10048364A~Roy-Rogers-Trigger-Posters.jpg

4/20/2008, 02:44 AM

and Jovie (Bon Jovi)

yeahhh..

What model is their Camaro?

Okla-homey
4/20/2008, 07:04 AM
I'd sure think twice, then walk around the block and think twice again about getting preggers if my wife still had her internal repop organs.

Apart from the inherent dangers of serious birth defects like Down's in children born to old women, (I think its something like 1 in 20 live births to 45+ y/o moms are Down's kids) its also rough on the child even if he or she is born normal and healthy.

Babies are high-maintenance creatures. Teenagers are also high-maintenance. Old women simply don't have the strength and energy to deal with and care for them like young women do.

Moreover, it's nice to be an old guy and still have your mom around. If your mom had you in her twenties like nature intended, you get the benefit of her comfort, guidance and counsel until you're practically eligible for Social Security yourself. Alternatively, when 45+ moms have kids, it often dooms the baby born to being motherless by the time the offspring is 25 or so.

Harry Beanbag
4/20/2008, 09:17 AM
Harry, I hope to gawd that nude pics of our Gov never surface.:(

Oh dear Lord, I think I'm going to be sick. Thanks a lot Flag. :mad: :)

SoonerStormchaser
4/20/2008, 10:08 AM
I'd sure think twice, then walk around the block and think twice again about getting preggers if my wife still had her internal repop organs.

Apart from the inherent dangers of serious birth defects like Down's in children born to old women, (I think its something like 1 in 20 live births to 45+ y/o moms are Down's kids) its also rough on the child even if he or she is born normal and healthy.

Babies are high-maintenance creatures. Teenagers are also high-maintenance. Old women simply don't have the strength and energy to deal with and care for them like young women do.

Moreover, it's nice to be an old guy and still have your mom around. If your mom had you in her twenties like nature intended, you get the benefit of her comfort, guidance and counsel until you're practically eligible for Social Security yourself. Alternatively, when 45+ moms have kids, it often dooms the baby born to being motherless by the time the offspring is 25 or so.

Already discussed between the wife and I...we both came to the conclusion that God won't give us anymore than we can handle...and, since she wants a kid just as much as I do, we'll keep trying. But we both agree that we married each other for each other...not for children.

Okla-homey
4/20/2008, 10:34 AM
Already discussed between the wife and I...we both came to the conclusion that God won't give us anymore than we can handle...and, since she wants a kid just as much as I do, we'll keep trying. But we both agree that we married each other for each other...not for children.

As long as folks in your situation understand the odds that things aren't likely to go well are high, and folks are sure their desire for a child is not a manifestation of personal selfishness, then I reckon its okay. OTOH, reasonable and responsible under the circumstances? Well, I guess people can disagree on that.

As far as God not giving people more they can handle goes...I'm reminded of a little story:

There was a devout farmer whose farm became flooded.

Along came the sheriff in a 4x4 and urged him to ride away to higher ground and safety.

The farmer said, "the good Lord won't give me more than I can handle"

As the water rose, the farmer had to take shelter on the upper floor of his farmhouse.

Along came the state police in a boat and urged him to come aboard and escape.

The farmer said, "no thanks, the Lord won't give me more than I can handle"

Finally, the water rose so high the farmer had to climb up on his barn roof.

A National Guard helicopter flew over and used its loudspeaker to offer to fly him to safety.

The farmer again said, "no thanks, the Lord won't give me more than I can handle"

Eventually, the barn collapsed and the farmer drowned.

When the farmer got to Heaven, he asked St Peter at the gate, "why did the Lord break His promise not to give me more than I could handle?"

St. Peter replied. "He didn't. He sent you the sheriff, the state police and a National Guard helicopter."

Moral: Don't ignore facts and circumstances that the Lord manifests to you while relying on the notion He'll take care of you no matter what.

SoonerStormchaser
4/20/2008, 10:46 AM
Yes sir!

StoopTroup
4/20/2008, 12:29 PM
I wish he would have made some sunscreen appear at the soccer field yesterday.

Okla-homey
4/20/2008, 12:51 PM
I wish he would have made some sunscreen appear at the soccer field yesterday.

but my brutha, He didn't have to. He made you self-aware and gave you the ability to plan and make rational decisions. Therefore, your burned skin is your own danged fault.

thus endeth he lesson.;)

Frozen Sooner
4/20/2008, 02:04 PM
More evidence of awesomosity:

Gov. Palin's water broke while she was giving a speech in Houston. She demanded that they put her on a plane and fly her home so her baby wouldn't be born in Texas.

SoonerStormchaser
4/20/2008, 02:36 PM
but my brutha, He didn't have to. He made you self-aware and gave you the ability to plan and make rational decisions. Therefore, your burned skin is your own danged fault.

thus endeth he lesson.;)

Fr. Homey, do you you do confession/absolution?

stoopified
4/20/2008, 04:21 PM

and Jovie (Bon Jovi)

yeahhh..Have you met my sons John Paul,George Ringo? :D

RacerX
4/20/2008, 05:55 PM
What model is their Camaro?

Has to be an IROC.

BudSooner
4/20/2008, 06:07 PM
More evidence of awesomosity:

Gov. Palin's water broke while she was giving a speech in Houston. She demanded that they put her on a plane and fly her home so her baby wouldn't be born in Texas.
Who could blame her?:)