PDA

View Full Version : You know, for the first time this election season...

Okla-homey
4/18/2008, 05:43 AM
I honestly feel the Donks have probably mortally wounded themselves and simply cannot now win in November. As their candidates continue to beat each other up, the non-Kool-Aid drinkers in the Democrat party and the undecideds elsewhere are becoming increasingly convinced neither HRC nor BHO are electable in the general election.

Alternatively, JSM is increasingly viewed as a palatable moderate alternative to Donks who are not extreme lefties.

Moreover, if HRC gets the nod from the super-d's at the convention, BHO's peeps will be able to make colorable claims she "stole it." If BHO ultimately wins the popular Donk vote as it appears he will, the First Family of the Democrat Party will not go quietly into Bolivia.

Unless some late breaking McCain scandal erupts, it's looking very likely whoever of the two who emerges victorious from the DNC convention will be thumped in November.

I think this is also why Dr. Dean has broken silence on the matter and is now asking the super-D's to verbally commit so the DNC has some chance of unify and coalesce around the guy the super-D's (a/k/a party hacks) want to be their candidate. (I also find it interesting that the Party of the People doesn't trust the people to decide who their candidate is going to be. Instead, they make sure the adult leadership in the form of super delegates get to choose.)

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

Posted: 08:36 PM ET

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

sooner n houston
4/18/2008, 07:00 AM
I hope you are right!

BigRedJed
4/18/2008, 07:17 AM
It's entirely possible, but I keep reminding myself that a few short months ago John McCain was on life support, out of money, and everyone was counting the days until he dropped out. I also remember Rudy Giuliani being the presumptive Republican nominee. Laughable in retrospect.

If the democrats settle on someone and the media gets behind them, it will suddenly be a horse race. And when I say the media will get behind them, I don't necessarily mean from a "media has a lefty bias" standpoint, I mean that the media won't be able to stand for a runaway race from either side, and (whether knowingly or unknowingly) completely controls the opinions of a huge portion of the American population.

November is still 6 1/2 months away, is all I'm saying.

swardboy
4/18/2008, 07:47 AM
Not to thread-jack, but....given Arnold's immense popularity it would be interesting to see him in a presidential race. Of course he can't because he's not native born so he can't. BUT, couldn't he be vp with the understanding that if the pres were incapacitated he would be deferring to the speaker of the house as acting president? In that case someone could run for the presidency and announce right up front that Arnold would be his running mate, and Arnold would essentially take on the presidency without the formal title?

BigRedJed
4/18/2008, 07:51 AM
There is a constitutional requirement that the vice president meet the same eligibility standards as the president.

swardboy
4/18/2008, 07:54 AM
Well, hasta la vista baby, to that thought.....

My Opinion Matters
4/18/2008, 07:54 AM
I'd say its wishful thinking on your part.

C&CDean
4/18/2008, 08:51 AM
I still say it will be an Obama landslide in November.
He will outlast Clinton, have a shaky start in the summer but he'll pound McCain in the debates with his smarmy rhetoric and youthful appearance.

I'm not so sure. Yes, he will without a doubt continue with the smarmy rhetoric and pimping the unions, etc., but there's enough of us with common sense out here in the hinterlands to make it a race.

royalfan5
4/18/2008, 08:53 AM
My money is still on Lyndon Larouche. I think it's finally going to be his year.

TUSooner
4/18/2008, 08:56 AM
That's well-reasoned, Homey.
But I fear the reality is that the National Attention Span is shorter than a flea's plonker. By the time the campaign for November heats up, the citzenry will be fascinated by some sparkelly new gew-gaw dangled before their eyes by the media. The spring of 2007 will be as distant from the public consciousness as the spring of 1707.

JohnnyMack
4/18/2008, 09:18 AM
Typical Homey hyperbole.

BigRedJed
4/18/2008, 09:19 AM
That's well-reasoned, Homey.
But I fear the reality is that the National Attention Span is shorter than a flea's plonker. By the time the campaign for November heats up, the citzenry will be fascinated by some sparkelly new gew-gaw dangled before their eyes by the media. The spring of 2007 will be as distant from the public consciousness as the spring of 1707.
Yep.

MR2-Sooner86
4/18/2008, 09:46 AM
I honestly feel the Donks have probably mortally wounded themselves and simply cannot now win in November.

You're talking about a party that got behind Mr. Flip "I'm a Joe 6-pack too!" Flopper in '04 and Clinton's pet rock in '00? I doubt they'll do it again. If Clinton gets it she'll get slammed for flip flopping and twisting her words. If Obama gets it he'll get slammed for what comes from his mouth. I mean look at some of the stuff he says.

Hey! Just because my friends go to the hospital, grab a few freshly newborn children, take them home, and grill them in MY smoker doesn't mean I eat babies. This is just people trying to paint a bad image onto me. Yeah I may use the American flag instead of toilet paper and I may wish genocide against all white people BUT that doesn't mean I'm a bad person. In fact, I'm a really good politician.

frankensooner
4/18/2008, 09:53 AM
I don't remember Obama saying that MR2, was it in the last debate?

C&CDean
4/18/2008, 10:09 AM
Typical Homey hyperbole.

Typical JM defending his boy.

I'm just waiting to see how creative you Brack apologists get when it gets down to the real nitty gritty.

"oh, he's a member of al quaeda, a member of the black panthers, a member of the crips, bloods, and the brotha mafia? no big deal, he didn't pay his dues the first month so it's not really what he's about...."

Meh. Some of you people are suckas.

texas bandman
4/18/2008, 10:19 AM
I honestly feel the Donks have probably mortally wounded themselves and simply cannot now win in November. As their candidates continue to beat each other up, the non-Kool-Aid drinkers in the Democrat party and the undecideds elsewhere are becoming increasingly convinced neither HRC nor BHO are electable in the general election.

I have to disagree, McCain is still a Republican and will be tarnished by the state of affairs in the nation. He will be judged guilty by his association with Bush. The deeper the recession, the bigger the loss. This week's flip flop on the Bush tax cuts will hurt his straight shooting image. I know he's trying to solidify his base, but it's the policies of his base in which many people are disillusioned. Just ask George H.W. Bush what a recession did to his candidacy. :D

OklahomaRed
4/18/2008, 10:25 AM
"We're sorry that we go got mad for Osama talkin' to us po' white trash, Bible huggin', gun kissin' rednecks like that. Why, we just learned to read last week." :D

JohnnyMack
4/18/2008, 10:43 AM
Typical JM defending his boy.

I'm just waiting to see how creative you Brack apologists get when it gets down to the real nitty gritty.

"oh, he's a member of al quaeda, a member of the black panthers, a member of the crips, bloods, and the brotha mafia? no big deal, he didn't pay his dues the first month so it's not really what he's about...."

Meh. Some of you people are suckas.

I wasn't defending anyone. His hyperbole is as amusing as your schtick.

C&CDean
4/18/2008, 10:46 AM
I wasn't defending anyone. His hyperbole is as amusing as your schtick.

Which is almost as amusing as your lame support of your boy.

Taxman71
4/18/2008, 12:50 PM
Too little, too late for Howard Dean....not that he has the guts to stand up to a Clinton. I doubt we see any more "scandals" aimed at McCain or Hillary as they have been in the public for so long, those issues must all be out by now. As for Obama, we will learn alot about him in the coming months....and he has not impressed me yet with his purported speaking wizardry.

I actually think McCain is one of the few Pubs that could win this "unwinnable" election because he is moderate. However, I expect him to get an anti-Dick Cheney for VIP.

VeeJay
4/18/2008, 08:50 PM
I have limited opportunity but still listen to a little of Air America each day on the way to and from work. Today's banter was attacking George Stephanopolous and Charles Gibson for their decided pro-Hillary line of questioning. Whatever.

Should Hillary eek out a victory over Obama, there will likely be a meltdown within a political party the likes of which this country has never seen, maybe even culminating in civil war. In '04 I almost put a Kerry/Edwards sign in my yard in South Florida just for protection - this time if Hillary wins and I'm identified as a lesser of two evil voters lining up for McCain, I'd likely be shot on sight.

The Air America crowd, the Huffington Post people and the MoveOn crowd are angry and they will settle for no less than an Obama victory. The out could easily be that, if Radiohead releases a new CD around Election Day, the Democratic turnout could be ineffective.

Jerk
4/18/2008, 09:11 PM
Hey dems...try running someone who actually loves their own country.

You might win.

Ha!

def_lazer_fc
4/19/2008, 12:05 AM
how's this for love of your country?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/def_lazer_fc/163447__colbert_l.jpg

Harry Beanbag
4/19/2008, 08:50 AM
Man, you'd probably need some extra lube for that.

JohnnyMack
4/19/2008, 09:19 AM
Hey dems...try running someone who actually loves their own country.

You might win.

Ha!

Well we all know that all it takes to get elected in this country is to say, "I LOVE AMERICA!!!" and wave a flag and kiss a baby and eat some apple pie.

Kinda makes me sad actually.

Jerk
4/19/2008, 09:31 AM
Well we all know that all it takes to get elected in this country is to say, "I LOVE AMERICA!!!" and wave a flag and kiss a baby and eat some apple pie.

Kinda makes me sad actually.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z96/M4builder/smilies/jerkit.gif

People aren't as dumb as you think they are.

Octavian
4/19/2008, 10:20 AM
It's his fault. Dean should have done his job and made sure --somehow, no matter what -- that Michigan and Florida voters were included in the selection process of the Democratic nominee.

If Dean would have done his job, Clinton would have had the nomination wrapped by the first Super Tuesday. Instead, Dean failed in his leadership role...he couldn't find a way to compromise with two crucial electoral states and now here we are...

Dean did nothing to resolve the issue and Obama won (largely by out-caucusing her) in a string of red states...and split the party. Now Dean's organization is entering a state of chaotic panic and he's reflecting that panic.

Dean isn't a leader. On the national stage, he's shown absolutely zero ability in a leadership role since his self-implosion in Iowa four years ago. After that debacle, the Democratic elite --for some reason --allowed him to become the leader of the party. And now they actually wonder how and why it's all going wrong...

Harry Beanbag
4/19/2008, 10:31 AM
Dean isn't a leader. On the national stage, he's shown absolutely zero ability in a leadership role since his self-implosion in Iowa four years ago. After that debacle, the Democratic elite --for some reason --allowed him to become the leader of the party. And now they actually wonder how and why it's all going wrong...

Isn't all that surprising really. Look at all of the faces of the Democrat party right now: Howard Dean, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, Al Gore, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Murtha, Chuck Schumer, etc. Radicals every one. They are just as clueless and out of touch as to how to run their own party as they are about what the American public really wants and thinks is important. I wouldn't trust any of them to pick up the dog **** in my backyard.

VeeJay
4/19/2008, 07:33 PM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z96/M4builder/smilies/jerkit.gif

Heh. I ain't never seen that one before.

Okla-homey
4/20/2008, 07:18 AM
In other news, David Boren has endorsed BHO. Lawd have mercy.

AlbqSooner
4/20/2008, 07:29 AM
In other news, David Boren has endorsed BHO. Lawd have mercy.

Obama is Ghey? Wow, I never knew that. :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
4/20/2008, 07:44 AM
Obama is Ghey? Wow, I never knew that. :rolleyes:

sssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh. Not BHO anyway.