PDA

View Full Version : Mark Clayton Vs. Malcolm Kelly

JLEW1818
4/18/2008, 12:41 AM
Can somebody please give the break down on these 2 guys? Which player was better at what???

Thanks, Just trying to learn more about this great team!!!

Mark Clayton vs. Malcolm Kelly

Breadburner
4/18/2008, 12:46 AM
One brought his lunch pail to work with him and one did not......

southern sooner
4/18/2008, 12:53 AM
nice assesment - agree 100%

soonerboy_odanorth
4/18/2008, 01:05 AM
Clayton: phenomenal route-runner, aggressive blocker, non-stop motor (must be accounted for on every play, even if it is going the other way), great blocker on pass and running plays, legit top-end NFL speed, the sharpest of cuts/moves, good hands.

Kelly: NFL-size, knack of getting open whether because of or in spite of called route, can turn it on and off (can play at a higher level on demand or situation), plays so very comfortably in his pads (may only truly run a 4.65, but likely that is with or without pads), positions himself in space very well (uses size/body to block-out/create space), spectacular body control, spectacular hands.

Hope that helps. ;)

LosAngelesSooner
4/18/2008, 03:02 AM
Kelly may well end up being a fantastic NFL receiver, but as far as college careers/performances go...Kelly couldn't hold Clayton's jock.

And Clayton blew him away as far as his character and personal life as well.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

soonerfan28
4/18/2008, 07:57 AM
I think if we can get a few more players to be like Mark Clayton and Dan Cody then we can win some national championships. I've wandered if the work ethic is there, especially after what Bob said in that bad start to '05. It looks like the class of '09 is built more on character then anything. Not that these guys aren't talented.

Curly Bill
4/18/2008, 08:33 AM
Clayton knew he had to bust his arse to get to keep playing football after college...and he did, making himself a much better player then when he arrived. One got the sense that MK knew he was going to and didn't always push it, getting by on his God-given gifts.

htownsooner7
4/18/2008, 09:55 AM
Those of you guys who are underestimating what MK meant to this team are RIDICULOUSLY WRONG. You can look at the big catches over the past few years and an overwhelming amount were his. His performance against Nebraska in the conference championship in 2006 was one of the best from a receiver in a big game that I have ever seen. Remember the RRS shootout last year, his big catch in the first half got us going and his TD in the second half was huge. How about us beating number 1 Mizzou in the conference championship this year? The bomb that he caught down the middle and was tackled at the 2 absolutely broke the ice for our offense. He was/is a big time player who stepped it up when the lights were on. Rufus Alexander, Malcolm Kelly, and Curtis Lofton were the best 3 players on this team the last couple years. Please don't disrespect his legacy because of a few ill-timed comments. That stinks of the "what have you done for me lately" sentiment which is a trademark for terrible fans like those from UT. Kelly was a great Sooner. Period.

oupride
4/18/2008, 10:16 AM
Clayton: phenomenal route-runner, aggressive blocker, non-stop motor (must be accounted for on every play, even if it is going the other way), great blocker on pass and running plays, legit top-end NFL speed, the sharpest of cuts/moves, good hands.

Kelly: NFL-size, knack of getting open whether because of or in spite of called route, can turn it on and off (can play at a higher level on demand or situation), plays so very comfortably in his pads (may only truly run a 4.65, but likely that is with or without pads), positions himself in space very well (uses size/body to block-out/create space), spectacular body control, spectacular hands.

Hope that helps. ;)

That pretty well sums it up. Good job Soonerboy!

soonerfan28
4/18/2008, 10:52 AM
Those of you guys who are underestimating what MK meant to this team are RIDICULOUSLY WRONG. You can look at the big catches over the past few years and an overwhelming amount were his. His performance against Nebraska in the conference championship in 2006 was one of the best from a receiver in a big game that I have ever seen. Remember the RRS shootout last year, his big catch in the first half got us going and his TD in the second half was huge. How about us beating number 1 Mizzou in the conference championship this year? The bomb that he caught down the middle and was tackled at the 2 absolutely broke the ice for our offense. He was/is a big time player who stepped it up when the lights were on. Rufus Alexander, Malcolm Kelly, and Curtis Lofton were the best 3 players on this team the last couple years. Please don't disrespect his legacy because of a few ill-timed comments. That stinks of the "what have you done for me lately" sentiment which is a trademark for terrible fans like those from UT. Kelly was a great Sooner. Period.

I agree he was a great player at OU and I remember the catches he made against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl, but I thought we were comparing him and Clayton. He is not Mark Clayton and I believe it's because he came in highly ranked and Clayton did not. Clayton worked because he had to and Kelly didn't work "as hard" because he had naturally ability and size. His injuries might also be the fact that he didn't work as hard in the weight room as he could have.

RedstickSooner
4/18/2008, 12:32 PM
Kelly was more like TFRW -- and I don't mean that as a knock, in this case. More of a natural, gargantuan, NFL-style receiver.

Clayton was more driven.

I don't know whether we can compare them. Kelly was, at times, almost our only threat at receiver -- and still showed up. Er, usually showed up. Couple games they managed to completely shut Kelly down, and when they did, the team usually suffered a lot for it. When Clayton was here, we had players like Mark Bradley -- who was nearly as good, which meant that teams focused on Clayton at their peril.

If I had to choose, and again, this is no knock on Kelly - I'd rather have Clayton. Just because he seemed so damned eager to play. With everything else being equal, that's my deciding factor.

I'm a bit bummed that Kelly left early, but I'm always bummed when players leave early. The important thing is not to resent 'em, or let that cloud your judgment, so I try very hard not to do so.

soonerfan28
4/18/2008, 12:40 PM
When I first found out he was leaving I was worried how our passing game would be, but when I realized that we seemed to put a lot of our eggs in the Kelly basket and as it was said before our offense struggled, so I believe this will force our offense to be more versatile (as in spreading the ball around to more players) then we were last year. I really am excited to see if Owens can do what Kelly did his freshman year. It seemed like Kelly was hungrier in '05.

JaminT
4/18/2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UEZLNlyRSk

THAT'S the difference right there!

picasso
4/18/2008, 01:46 PM
Malcolm won a few games for us (in the 2nd half), Tech and Nebbish in '06 stand out.

Clayton had a better overall career.

Two different types. Clayton could do more, possession and YAC.

LosAngelesSooner
4/18/2008, 02:17 PM
Nobody on here has said he wasn't a great Sooner, but you're comparing him to HANDS DOWN the greatest wide receiver in OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL HISTORY.

AND...one of the best PEOPLE in Oklahoma Football history.

I think Winston Churchill was a great leader and a good man, but he's no Jesus Christ. ;)

htownsooner7
4/18/2008, 02:24 PM
You saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

BoulderSooner79
4/18/2008, 03:00 PM
Clayton was the better all-around receiver. He could be the possession guy or stretch the field with his speed. Most importantly, he was a gifted runner and I think he could have played running back ala Reggie Bush. He was smaller than the average sized receiver, so he couldn't go over a defender like MK. He also had Jason White throwing to him for 2 years.

MK mostly shined stretching the field and using his size and great hands. He also did some intermediate routes and I think he could done more. He didn't show great moves after the catch, but did break a few tackles using his strength.

Both great college receivers. Clayton was probably the best in OU history and is an accomplished NFL player. I expect MK will be too.

LosAngelesSooner
4/18/2008, 03:02 PM
You saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

No. That's JoBu who can't hit the curve ball.

shaun4411
4/18/2008, 03:07 PM
i think kelly has more natural raw talent, but clayton was able to make more out of his talents. with good coaching, and a good attitude, kelly could excel beyond clayton's limits in the nfl.

BoulderSooner79
4/18/2008, 03:19 PM
i think kelly has more natural raw talent, but clayton was able to make more out of his talents. with good coaching, and a good attitude, kelly could excel beyond clayton's limits in the nfl.

I disagree - I don't think you can under estimate Clayton's natural running ability. It's a raw talent just like any other attribute like being 6'4" and Clayton showed that talent as soon as he stepped on the field at OU. I don't see MK ever being that elusive in the open field. They are different types of players and I expect them both to be successful in the NFL. Clayton already is established and he has been playing for one of the worst passing teams in the league.

yermom
4/18/2008, 03:52 PM
i still think Clayton should get visitation on JW's Heisman. like every other weekend or something

colleyvillesooner
4/18/2008, 04:13 PM

No. That's Pedro who can't hit the curve ball. :D

GottaHavePride
4/18/2008, 07:55 PM
Question: Can God throw a curveball that He Himself could not hit?

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/18/2008, 08:26 PM
Of course, God knows that good pitching wins come playoff time, so of course he is going to work harder on his pitching.

goingoneight
4/18/2008, 09:12 PM
Kelly was used in the manner we should have used Brandon Jones more often. He's tall, insane vertical, long-striding runner with incredibly soft hands. He's going to be a Terell Owens/Randy Moss kind of receiver in the NFL. One can't possibly predict his numbers, and MK certainly isn't the jerk either of those two have been, but he's the kind of receiver NFL coaches and quarterbacks drool over.

Mark Clayton was the most pleasant surprise of his class. Basically "nothing" coming out of high school, but OU's staff saw enough of him that made them believe enough to sign and start him on the defending National Champions team. The guy is like a bigger DeMarco Murray, in that he's available and talented enough to be the team's greatest weapon. His vision and athleticism made up for the stupid things people put way too much stock in like shaving a thousandth of a second off your 40-time. He played like a madman and it just came naturally for him to continue to impress all the way through his four-year career. He knew that he wasn't highly rated coming out of high school and that people didn't believe in him enough following his junior year, so he returned and proved yet again he was the best in college football, which paved the way for some long deserved and hard-earned respect from NFL scouts.

MC's skills made him a star in college, MK's skills are what makes All-Pros and maybe one day HOF. Think Reggie Bush and Adrian Peterson. USC crammed the football down his throat until he could barely breathe, but they did it because they could and because he was magical with the rock in his hands. AD maybe isn't your secret weapon, but he's a man of steel and never gives up on a play. Reggie's the bigger college star, AD is and always will be the better NFL RB.

LosAngelesSooner
4/18/2008, 10:06 PM
No. That's Pedro who can't hit the curve ball. :D
Nope. JoBu.

Pedro was fine hitting the curve ball once he told JoBu to **** off. :D

MI Sooner
4/18/2008, 10:37 PM
He's going to be a Terell Owens/Randy Moss kind of receiver in the NFL.

I don't think TO and Moss are that similar. Moss is purely a speed guy, and Kelly isn't that fast (by NFL standards). Kelly does have better hands than TO, though (although Kelly's are somewhat overrated, IMO).

FWIW, you always here announcers rave about how Kelly catches the ball with his hands. Am I the only one who doesn't think that this is always the best way to catch a ball? When in traffic, I think it's often best to pin the ball against your body, especially if you don't have giant hands.

SbOrOiNaEnR
4/18/2008, 11:01 PM

I wouldn't leave that rum sittin' around here with this crew.

jccouger
4/18/2008, 11:40 PM
FWIW, you always here announcers rave about how Kelly catches the ball with his hands. Am I the only one who doesn't think that this is always the best way to catch a ball? When in traffic, I think it's often best to pin the ball against your body, especially if you don't have giant hands.

But he does have giant hands (biggest on OU's roster)

Piware
4/19/2008, 10:24 PM
I really liked Malcolm Kelly and hope he goes high in the draft but it will always be Mark Clayton for me.

Clayton played flat out on every play and seldom made an error. Malcom has fabulous talent but I just never felt he played with Clayton's intensity.

Both are great Sooners!

The_Red_Patriot
4/20/2008, 08:59 AM
Mark Clayton....hands down!

Mr. YAC baby! Throw him a little 5 yd dump pass and watch him somehow turn it into a 20 yd gain.

rhombic21
4/20/2008, 09:16 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9W7nTi4JFQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ulgiQFCREF8

tulsaoilerfan
4/20/2008, 10:27 AM
Clayton was the best receiver the Sooners have ever had at getting yards after the catch; no one else comes close

r5TPsooner
4/20/2008, 10:39 AM
One of them showed up for the big games the other did not.

Sooner_09
4/20/2008, 05:27 PM
Which one showed up for the big games?:cool:

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/20/2008, 05:33 PM
Mark Bradley?

Sooner_09
4/20/2008, 05:38 PM
Mark Bradley?

[hairGel] That's not true!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/20/2008, 05:41 PM
Rocky Calmus?

Pigface1
4/21/2008, 11:50 AM
Kelly may well end up being a fantastic NFL receiver, but as far as college careers/performances go...Kelly couldn't hold Clayton's jock.

No doubt about it.

I still want to know what was up w/ not throwing to MK in the Colorado game, though. I find it hard to believe he was locked up the entire game.

Pigface1
4/21/2008, 11:53 AM
Kelly was used in the manner we should have used Brandon Jones more often. He's tall, insane vertical, long-striding runner with incredibly soft hands. He's going to be a Terell Owens/Randy Moss kind of receiver in the NFL. One can't possibly predict his numbers, and MK certainly isn't the jerk either of those two have been, but he's the kind of receiver NFL coaches and quarterbacks drool over.

Moss ran a 4.2x at Florida St, second fastest in that school's history next to Deion Sanders. T.O. can burn, too. MK will be available for some jump balls, but I don't see him torching NFL defneses. . well, unless TRRW is covering him, but that's a different story. lol

sooneron
4/21/2008, 12:07 PM
I think it would be interesting to read posts about MK this time last year as opposed to this year.
Without Malcolm, we probably would not have won the Big 12 in 06. He was a great receiver that caught the uncatchable, often. He and Mark are different types of receivers.

JLEW1818
4/23/2008, 11:41 AM
Anybody got Claytons rookie contract and signing bonus???