PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News Events While Watching Sports

AllAboutThe'O'
4/17/2008, 10:52 PM
Me and a friend were having a discussion today, and the topic was where were you when a big news event happened. I told him that I first found out about 9/11 on ESPNEWS, which was carrying the ABC News breaking coverage that morning.
Then, the conversation shifted to hearing about or seeing a big news event while watching a sporting event. I told him about people finding out about John Lennon's murder while watching a Monday Night Football game; likewise, I also found out about Billy Martin's death on Christmas Day 1989 while watching Monday Night Football.
I also brought up the O.J. Simpson white Bronco chase in 1994 while the NBA Finals was going on and the 1989 San Francisco earthquake during the World Series. Another noteworthy news event was when President Reagan was shot in 1981; that same day was the NCAA basketball title game between Indiana and North Carolina and there was talk of that game being postponed.
What other big news stories did any of you find out while watching a sporting event?

OU-HSV
4/17/2008, 11:49 PM
Man this is a tough one. I can't think of any specific big news events that happened while I was actually watching a game. The only one that comes to mind is the more local news story of the dude that blew himself up during the OU football game a couple seasons ago. I was watching that game on t.v. and heard something about it during the game.

Other than that I've always got breaking news flashes that I need another beer while watching football. That is all.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/17/2008, 11:55 PM
I can tell you I was watching Sportscenter when the OKC bombing news came across the air..I was at the Baptist Student Union at the EOSC campus eating Subway..

Sooner_Havok
4/18/2008, 12:08 AM
Man this is a tough one. I can't think of any specific big news events that happened while I was actually watching a game. The only one that comes to mind is the more local news story of the dude that blew himself up during the OU football game a couple seasons ago. I was watching that game on t.v. and heard something about it during the game.

Other than that I've always got breaking news flashes that I need another beer while watching football. That is all.

I was at that game. A lot of my friends were architecture majors, and after we heard a boom we thought was construction related one of them called us. He says someone blew them self up outside Gould. We didn't believe him and hung up on him. He calls right back and says it again, and again we hang up on him. He calls back a third time and says he isn't kidding, he is right there. We are about to hang up on him again when he tells us to look towards the south oval (we always sat at the very top of the student section) and we could see police and ambulances coming up the south oval.

trey
4/18/2008, 10:25 AM
i remember sitting on the couch watching the tube when programming was interrupted to say that one of the osu basketball flights was "lost" coming back from their game in boulder.

picasso
4/18/2008, 01:35 PM
I'll never forget watching The X Games when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.

King Crimson
4/18/2008, 01:49 PM
i think the war in iraq began on the first day of the NCAA basketball tournament.

picasso
4/18/2008, 01:56 PM
I was watching This New Old House when Custer got it at the Greasy Grass.

picasso
4/18/2008, 02:00 PM
I was looking for some boobage on tv when OJ and AC were on the run.

picasso
4/18/2008, 02:05 PM
I threw up a chili dog when they showed Joe Theisman's kickstand snap in half.

85Sooner
4/18/2008, 07:19 PM
I would have to say the earthquake during the world series in california in '90 I think. Oh I guess it was 89.

picasso
4/22/2008, 05:22 PM
breaking news, breaking weather, breaking wind.

4/22/2008, 05:43 PM
Is that your Indian name?

WILBURJIM
4/22/2008, 05:52 PM
I was at a high school BB game in 1980 when they announced the hockey score:
US 4 Soviet Union 3

The game stopped and people stood and clapped for a half a minute.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/22/2008, 08:11 PM
I was at a high school BB game in 1980 when they announced the hockey score:
US 4 Soviet Union 3

The game stopped and people stood and clapped for a half a minute.

If I remember right, the game was shown on a tape-delayed basis but nobody other than the ones attending the game at Lake Placid knew the outcome. This, of course, was before the Internet and cell phones and ESPN was less than a year old. I wish I could remember where I was when the Miracle on Ice happened but I was only 8 at the time.

picasso
4/24/2008, 12:10 PM
Is that your Indian name?

big bladder

picasso
4/24/2008, 12:28 PM
mucho flatulato?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/24/2008, 01:07 PM
spontaneous detonation as well

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/24/2008, 01:42 PM
I think the more important question here is, "Where was Al Michaels when all of this was going on?"

M
4/24/2008, 01:54 PM
The examples in this thread obviously prove that watching sports causes disastrous events. ;)

TopDawg
4/24/2008, 04:02 PM
I remember the PA guy announcing at the end of the 1995 OU/OSU football game that hell had just frozen over.

picasso
4/25/2008, 12:03 PM
I think the more important question here is, "Where was Al Michaels when all of this was going on?"

putting shoe polish in his hair.