PDA

View Full Version : Neb'ners Wandering in the Desert

soonerspudman
4/16/2008, 03:20 PM
Good read, especially for anyone not from the Big 8 era. I wish the Neberskis well in their journey back from the dark side.

Nebraska's always been like that wierd half-brother, you think he's kind of freaky but you're related by circumstance and grow used to his quirkiness...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/04/15/nebraska0421/index.html

sshusker
4/16/2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks, we love you too!!

royalfan5
4/16/2008, 03:25 PM
I tend to think the state would benefit from a little more wandering.

NormanPride
4/16/2008, 03:36 PM
heh

Big Red Ron
4/17/2008, 02:18 AM
I tend to think the state would benefit from a little more wandering.As long as it's not Tom Osborn, wait...

4/17/2008, 03:04 AM
Good read. Thanks.

I've always liked the Huskers. At the same time, I always enjoyed beating them. They are a rival, but not a hated one, in my opinion.

I have a video posted here a few years back of the pre-game talk Switzer gave before the Colorado game circa 85. He said there were just two teams in the conference, then went on and on about other oponents and how they weren't worthy of sharing the light.

I still get fired up watching it.

JPNSKER
4/17/2008, 10:26 PM
Good read, especially for anyone not from the Big 8 era. I wish the Neberskis well in their journey back from the dark side.

Nebraska's always been like that wierd half-brother, you think he's kind of freaky but you're related by circumstance and grow used to his quirkiness...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/04/15/nebraska0421/index.html

Well, soonerspudman... you see, most of us Neberskis don't have wierd half-brothers, so I can't really relate, but I know what you're saying.;) :cool:

It will be a good day once again, when it's only up to the OU/NU game to figure out who's playing for the MNC...

soonerboy_odanorth
4/17/2008, 11:30 PM
Good read. Thanks.

I've always liked the Huskers. At the same time, I always enjoyed beating them. They are a rival, but not a hated one, in my opinion.

I have a video posted here a few years back of the pre-game talk Switzer gave before the Colorado game circa 85. He said there were just two teams in the conference, then went on and on about other oponents and how they weren't worthy of sharing the light.

I still get fired up watching it.

Son, you didn't live, work, and socialize around those arrogant MoFo's from 'bout, '92 on. I used to feel the same way in the respect department as you and many others. But I am telling you, as arrogant as I thought they were growing up where we did, it got even worse the further north I came.

Classy. Bullroar. Again, and I will beat this drum for the rest of my college football-following life, they are no more classy, respectful, knowledgeable, blah...freaking... blah, than any other passionate fan or fanbase in America.

They are as a whole, in fact, as nasty, mean, demeaning, rude, condescending, aloof, and just as slovenly drunk as the rest of the Big 12, and any other national, crew.

I'm damn sick of the peter-puffing that goes on with these widdy-biddy-widdle-pwicks.

And I expect better from you. ;) :D

soonerboy_odanorth
4/18/2008, 12:07 AM
Oh, and on topic.

Derision of that Callenberger- Yup.

Lauding Tom - Absolutely.

*ahem*... Reconnecting with their farm-boy agri-roots- *snicker*... Yeah....I'm sure that's what famous Nebraska farm boys Tommie Frazier, I.M. Hipp, Mike Rozier, Irving Fryer, Lawrence Phillips, Broderick Thomas, Jason and Christian Peter, Rich Glover, Aaron Taylor... etcetera and etcetera.... all feel is the most important part of Nebraska football. It has nothing at all to do with the recruitment of talent and speed on the football field.

Puff piece.

Pure and simple.

So what?

ALL college football programs have their ups and downs....Yeah....Speaking from the rather distasteful experience.

So the Nowledgeable are having their turn at it. So freaking what? I pee on any of you that mourn them. Nobody mourned for us; rather, they celebrated. And yes, it was Switzer-driven.

And golly, what do you know... Osbourne and Switz get along just fine, thank you very much. Which is a long way of saying.... I am happy to get along with all the Nebbish... I just am not gonna massage their anuses on the way.

4/18/2008, 01:57 AM
Clearly, Odanorth bases his entire hatred of all things Husker on his experience with the fan base. Cracker, PUHLLEEAASE!

As a big 'ol boy, I enjoyed watching the corn kids; homespun farm boys playing for their state; do well on the national stage. It was akin to watching my Sooners harvest the best of Oklahoma and Fexas every year to smear longhorn patties in the face of the most hated rival, UT. Both teams were THE state teams of their fans. Neither had a devout following of any professional league. Both bases established their fandom as a near-religion. Neither let childish distractions such as basketball or (ahem) women's sports, dominate their devotion to their respective agendas.

I'm sure I'd feel different had we been on the losing end of this rivalry. But basing your entire hatred for all things Bugeater on the fans alone is misguided. Looking back at the historic games, most contests were clean enough. They were classic, hard-nosed battles to determine who would stand as the BEST of the Big Two. Struggles to decide who among the heavyweights would rule our heartland's football world and present themselves well in the orange dump of deep Miami.

I'm not sure anyone has asked you to massage any anuses, though if that is the case, I can understand your hatred. :D

The King has spoken. Rivalry is more about fans than it (almost) ever has been about players. Certainly Bosworth's devout hatred for all things puke reflects a healthy hatred among players, but allowing an abhorrence of any entire program based on the fans alone is misguided at best.

That said, it is perfectly acceptable to HATE anything burnt orange because though the devil is always depicted as a RED, horned and demonous creature, modern evidence has proven his color to be more of a sunset nature.

Pee away, Odanorth.

:D

Seamus
4/18/2008, 05:05 AM
I pee on any of you that mourn them.

Weird. I just had a Tom Berenger chill.

Spek to you.

sshusker
4/18/2008, 08:39 AM
ODA - As a Husker fan living here in Oklahoma, married to a Sooner fan, don't judge all fans by a few. I have lived here since the mid 70's and get along fine with all Sooner fans. I have lots of family and friends back in Nebraska and most have a great deal of respect for OU. Most Sooner fans that I know also have respect for NU. From my perspective, there doesn't seem to be much hate in that rivalry.

4/18/2008, 10:18 AM
Oda's just a blow-hard. I wouldn't worry about him. :D

soonerfan28
4/18/2008, 11:00 AM
Son, you didn't live, work, and socialize around those arrogant MoFo's from 'bout, '92 on. I used to feel the same way in the respect department as you and many others. But I am telling you, as arrogant as I thought they were growing up where we did, it got even worse the further north I came.

Classy. Bullroar. Again, and I will beat this drum for the rest of my college football-following life, they are no more classy, respectful, knowledgeable, blah...freaking... blah, than any other passionate fan or fanbase in America.

They are as a whole, in fact, as nasty, mean, demeaning, rude, condescending, aloof, and just as slovenly drunk as the rest of the Big 12, and any other national, crew.

I'm damn sick of the peter-puffing that goes on with these widdy-biddy-widdle-pwicks.

And I expect better from you. ;) :D

Hate them all you want, but you have to agree that the 94' and 95' team were probably two of the best ever, so what did you expect from them back then.

soonerboy_odanorth
4/19/2008, 03:49 PM
Oda's just a blow-hard. I wouldn't worry about him. :D

Spoken like a closet aggie. Better a blow-hard than a blow-j*b, I always say... :P

Now let me get back to my worship of all things Sooners while you try to resolve your inner Yin and Yang of Nebraska leg-humping and Texas peni*- envy. :D

(And yes '28, there is absolutely no denying those '94-'95 Nebraska squads were two of the finest ever fielded.)

tommie15
4/19/2008, 03:57 PM
80,142 wandered down to Memorial today to see Bo begin the rebuilding.

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, seeing how badly Callafraud hoodwinked me for the last four years.

PLaw
4/19/2008, 09:16 PM
Good read. Thanks.

yeah, but they have always been a little self-righteous and hypocrtical. It gets me how Osborn generally gets a pass when King Barry gets villified.

Tell me again that there were no roids passed around on that OL. Kids show up at a scrawny 230-240 and are 5th year seniors at 310+.

And then the widely known about pay performance envelopes found in lockers after the games.

I know we Sooners have had our issues, but let's not whitewash one and bedevil the other.

BOOMER
PLaw

soonerboy_odanorth
4/20/2008, 12:42 AM
Tell me again that there were no roids passed around on that OL.

Pert near much nobody does that da Nile (river in Egypt) anymore... 'specially since Dave (Remington...the dude the award was named after) has done said he shot it up left and right... though as an aside... That certainly was not dear Dr. Tom's fault. I mean... How could that good man have known? Golly! He couldn't have. So LAY OFF NCAA!... NOT his fault!

Now that danged Switzer fella... with all the rules he just flat...out...flaunted.... We KNOW! Yes, my Brothers and MY SISTERS!... we know. Truly I say unto you it IS all his fault...NCAA BANE 'EM.... BANE 'EM DURN GOOD!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

BARRY SWITZER IS DA DEBIL!!! Yeah! So there!!!!

4/20/2008, 02:55 AM
Our most damning sin was that we were better.

And Oda isn't so bad.:D

Big Red Ron
4/20/2008, 01:11 PM
Our most damning sin was that we were better.

And Oda isn't so bad.:DWell that, and we were know as the Big Red when they were still eating bugs.

opksooner
4/20/2008, 10:41 PM
This post by Mark Fricke has some age on it, at least a couple years, but.....do any of you 'skers know if he finished his book project?

I have spent the past two years interviewing over seventy players, coaches and officials from both Oklahoma and Nebraska for my book on the rivalry between the two schools, and I can tell you one thing; there is not a nicer bunch of fellows than the Oklahoma people. This includes Barry Switzer, Keith Jackson, Steve Owens, Billy Sims etc.

I know, I went into this project just like every other Husker fan, adoring the Huskers and approaching the Sooners with trepidation at best. But I have never been so warmly embraced by a group as proud of their program and accomplishments as the Sooners. And more importantly they hold each and every one of you (yes the Husker fans) in high regard. They speak glowingly of Husker fans, the program, the coaches and players. They lament the loss of the annual rivalry.
To get back to the original question, Oklahoma's history is a facinating one. Thankfully so, or the book wouldn't be interesting. The Oklahoma people have been very helpful to me and I have become a true Sooner fan, myself.

By the way...of the seventy or so requests for interviews I have made for the book only one person has turned me down rather rudely, and that was a Husker. (I'm not telling who)

So to try and compare the two programs is futile. They both have fantastic histories and wonderful people. I hope every one reads my book when it comes out next fall will see that for themselves.

Seamus
4/21/2008, 01:29 PM
Howard Johnson's right about Jaux being right about Oda being right.

And all this metaphorical humming going on in Dr. Tom's pants is nothing but genuine pioneer gibberish.

Rehr rehr.

Big Red Ron
4/21/2008, 07:00 PM
So to try and compare the two programs is futile. They both have fantastic histories and wonderful people. I hope every one reads my book when it comes out next fall will see that for themselves. I can compare them easily, 7 > 4

tommie15
4/21/2008, 07:27 PM
I can compare them easily, 7 > 4

Seamus
4/22/2008, 01:32 PM
OK, 7 > 5 :D

badger
4/22/2008, 02:06 PM
My Nebbish stories. If the OU-Nebraska needs additional notes from the games for that rivalry book, feel free to borrow:

In my freshman year of 2001, we played at Nebraska and we were the College Gameday game, because we were ranked 1 and 2 in the BCS, respectfully. It was the match to determine #1. Now, my first taste of opposition fans was at OU-Texas, so I was expecting a bunch of riling and such, but the most we heard was "overrated!" chanted by the student section. Rather, the fans were actually very nice. We got "Boomer Sooner" played at us by their band before the game. We clapped along and such. David Boren was so moved by this sportsman-like gesture that he requested that OU's band follow suit.

In 2004, times sure change quickly under Callahan. It was a home game, but it was obvious that this was a different Nebraska. I was standing in the northeast corner of the stadium on the field level when the team was running blocking drills. Realizing how close they were coming to us, I moved back toward the tunnel. Within a few minutes, a large Nebraska player locked with a teammate, but continued onto the sidelines, knocking a Ruf-Nek into the brick wall dividing the field from the stands. The Ruf-Nek looked up at the player, which stood over him for a moment, staring him down. The player then went away and blood was visibly dripping from this Ruf-Nek's mouth. I saw him again a few months later at a basketball game, where he was wearing braces. He said he was all right. This Nebraska game was the last time the Ruf-Neks were allowed on the field before the game during warmups with their guns. It was also a day when oranges led to 3 points at the end to prevent the first Nebbish shutout in years.

My final year in school, 2005, we visited Nebraska and this time, it wasn't for BCS rankings or an Orange Bowl berth. It was simply another game and it wouldn't have been memorable if it weren't for one incident. These fans were no longer the "applaud your opponent," "be gracious and hospitable" Nebraska fans of 2001. Rather, they were an impatient lot that had grown tired of losing and tired of Callahan. A friend was changing in the bathroom and a Nebraska fan stole the top of his band uniform and threw it in a bathroom puddle, ruining it (these uniforms are hundreds of dollars, mind you). Thus, the age of cordial and friendly rivalry was over. The era of Callyburger was in full force.
---
As someone who misses the years of friendly rivalry, I fully endorse the new coaching and AD changes. Your version of Howards Smellenbourbon is gone now, so hopefully this will not be your version of John Blake. Even if it is, it will still be better than the years of tradition and pride lost under Callahan. If Bo pulls out a twister board to tell your special teams where to line up, however, be forewarned that it will make it to the Fark Board, stat.

Big Red Ron
4/22/2008, 08:48 PM
I'm not so sure about that last one. Kinda, throw Tom a bone on his way out kinda deal.

But 7 is still greater than 5, right?

JPNSKER
4/22/2008, 10:33 PM
badger - Sorry your friend had to endure putting up with an *** of a fan. They are everywhere & I'm sure the majority of NU fans would have called security on the twit, if they had seen him do it.

Next time your in Lincoln, stop down at the Embassy Suites "Tailgate on the Dock" (just South of the stadium) & I'll buy you & your friends a couple beers.:cool:

badger
4/23/2008, 04:46 PM
badger - Sorry your friend had to endure putting up with an *** of a fan. They are everywhere & I'm sure the majority of NU fans would have called security on the twit, if they had seen him do it.

Next time your in Lincoln, stop down at the Embassy Suites "Tailgate on the Dock" (just South of the stadium) & I'll buy you & your friends a couple beers.:cool:

I'm not bitter about it. I'm sure your fans were all bitter about what you had to endure in Lincoln those years with Cally. Even going to the Big 12 championship probably wasn't enough to endear him :D

I'm curious, though... are there any fond memories of those years under the effin' hillbilly? Give either a "yay" or "nay" or add to the list...

1- Passing offense instead of option/power running.

2- Coach that shows more emotion.

3- Preserving streaks such as the "no shutouts," even if by desperate measures while getting pelted by oranges.

4- Emphasis on quality talent program instead of a quantity-based walk-on program.

5- Pro-style offense with former pro-level coach

Hmmm.... I'm grasping at straws for the last few to round out a top 10...

6- Memorable moments like the "throat slash" and "effing hillbilly" examples.

7- The ability to find tickets period, as well as the ability to attend games without high scalping prices

8- United fanbase against Bill Callahan and VERY against Steve Pederson.

9- Laughable memories such as releasing "first touchdown" balloons in the fourth quarter at homecoming or having a massive exodus of fans before halftime.

10- Having a desperate enough situation to bring your legend out of retirement

tommie15
4/23/2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not so sure about that last one. Kinda, throw Tom a bone on his way out kinda deal.

But 7 is still greater than 5, right?

Come on Ron, you really think that Michigan team could stay on the field with the 97 team?

I don't understand why people think it was a "gift" when NU had been the most dominant team, by a wide margin, over the previous three years racking up a 60-3 record. Doesn't that count for something?

tommie15
4/23/2008, 10:21 PM
I'm not bitter about it. I'm sure your fans were all bitter about what you had to endure in Lincoln those years with Cally. Even going to the Big 12 championship probably wasn't enough to endear him :D

I'm curious, though... are there any fond memories of those years under the effin' hillbilly? Give either a "yay" or "nay" or add to the list...

3- Preserving streaks such as the "no shutouts," even if by desperate measures while getting pelted by oranges.

4- Emphasis on quality talent program instead of a quantity-based walk-on program.

7- The ability to find tickets period, as well as the ability to attend games without high scalping prices

9- Laughable memories such as releasing "first touchdown" balloons in the fourth quarter at homecoming or having a massive exodus of fans before halftime.

To answer your question: 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22. 27-22.

That record kind of, hmm, tarnishes anything worthwhile he accomplished.

JPNSKER
4/23/2008, 11:57 PM

Those are some pretty good reasons, b.:D

The only thing "good" that came from the Cally years, other than some fun games to watch (i.e. Michigan, Texas, aTm), was the much needed influx of talent. Granted, I argue with Husker fans about how far that had fallen off during the FS years, but we just didn't have enough play makers to be a credible team. I'm hoping just as Stoops moved around & recruited the extra talent, that Bo can do the same.

I don't know how to relate it other than I'm sure you die-hard Sooner fans had a lot of heartache through the 90's. You didn't give up on the team... rather gave up on the coach. I'm sure I can speak for a lot of Husker fans, when I say we were pulling for you guys too.

I'm not as blinded by hate for all things Pedey, as some other NU fans. He thought he was doing right, but unfortunately, he was wrong in how he went about it...:)

4/24/2008, 12:58 AM
I must admit, the irony was sweet when they hired Blake.

JPNSKER
4/24/2008, 09:08 AM
I must admit, the irony was sweet when they hired Blake.

I don't know about the irony of it, since he was your head coach, but I'm guessing a few of you got a good laugh, just having him on our staff..:D

I will say this much for JB, though. He is one heck of a recruiter. I would probably hire him as a D-line & recruiting coord.

Head coach...... not so much.

badger
4/24/2008, 10:58 AM
I had to google "Nebraska" and "27-22," because I wasn't sure if that was a score of an important OU-NU game and you were pointing out the last moment of Nebraska's glory or something... but yeah, Cally's record there. Good one :D

I would give a list of memorable things from the Blake era, but I was still in Badgerland and not yet an OU student then. My first OU game was the OU-Nebraska game televised nationally (even in Wisconsin) in 2000. I understand from my brother (and pictures I later saw) that the announcer was a d00sche and was chastising the crowd for removing the goal post. How did it go, again?

Announcer: For your own safety, please to do not attempt to rush onto the field.

(everyone rushes the field)

Announcer: For your own safety, please do not attempt to remove the goalposts.

(goal post comes crashing down, despite pepper spray and other measures)

Announcer: You just removed the goalpost, congratulations. Now, what are you going to do with it? Surely you can't remove it from the stadium...

(goalpost gets removed from the stadium and gets paraded up and down the South Oval)

It's a funny story even if it's not true and my brother was just joking :D

The John Blake memories I've heard are... the time we almost beat Texas, the time they had a Twister board on the sideline to tell players where to line up on special teams, the time Blake bailed the players out of jail and paid for the damage costs, the quotes that followed his firing, like "I wish I could have stayed around for 2000 to see what would have happened." or something like that. LoL. Would we want to take chances on Blake in retrospect through 2000 instead of 1998 to see what would have happened? hehe.

Ok, JPNHSKR, so you liked the recruiting. Anything else? Are you really a fan of the option/running? Ok, here's a BETTER question: We all hate Phil Fulmer for stealing our state's talent and all the d00schebaggery that follows him. However, since he cast the vote that made you split the championship with Michigan (which might have had something to do with Peyton's missing Heisman that went to Meatchicken's Woodson), what do you Big N people think of Fulmer?

JPNSKER
4/24/2008, 01:26 PM
Ok, JPNHSKR, so you liked the recruiting. Anything else?

Other than a few good wins? No, not really!:D

Are you really a fan of the option/running?

I loved the Option offense when it was ran by TO. That was the great thing about the old NU/OU games. Dominate offensive lines, hellacious D's, Option QB's & stud RB's. Ah, the memories......

Ok, here's a BETTER question: We all hate Phil Fulmer for stealing our state's talent and all the d00schebaggery that follows him. However, since he cast the vote that made you split the championship with Michigan (which might have had something to do with Peyton's missing Heisman that went to Meatchicken's Woodson), what do you Big N people think of Fulmer?

Or the fact that we pretty much dismantled his Peyton Manning led team....;)

Fortunately, we're far enough away from the SEC teams to really notice anything about him, so I guess I really don't have an opinion of him.

badger
4/24/2008, 02:17 PM
Ok, perhaps we should get back on topic (although the topic of "Who hates Pete Carroll more?" can be saved for another day).

So, last year, you guys ranked 7th in passing and 9th in total offense respectively, according to this article here (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-nebraska042208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns). Your passing efficiency and scoring offense also rank high.

Unfortunately, your only good defensive statistic was sacking (and not preventing your QB from getting sacked, mind you). Your 3rd and 4th down conversion ratings on offense are pretty good, but the defense is nearly last in both of these categories... probably only ahead of Notre Dame :D

Another good reason for hiring Bo Pelini, other than "he's one of our own" and all. So... in order to satisfy the whole state of Nebraska, what does Bo Pelini have to do to impress and satisfy you? Yay or Nay is suffice... but 27-22 might be humorous too.

1- Get handshaked or hugged by Tom Osborne every time they're together in public.

2- Have at least a .500 record and go bowlin'

3- Have at least a 8-win record and go better bowlin'

4- Have at last a 10-win record and go New Year bowlin'

5- Smash the ever living karp outta opponents and go BCS/champeenship bowlin'

6- "Restore the Order" t-shirts (oh come on, you know you're laughing)

7- Granting "Blackshirts" for having at least three sacks, one interception or fumble recovery, and 3 or less touchdowns allowed on defense.

8- Blackshirts for four sacks, two interceptions or fumble recoveries and 2 or less touchdowns allowed on defense

9- Blackshirts for five sacks, three interceptions or fumble recoveries and only one touchdown allowed on defense.

10 - The only way you get a Nebraska Blackshirt is if they get no points, dag nabbit!

ric311
4/24/2008, 06:40 PM
I don't know about the irony of it, since he was your head coach, but I'm guessing a few of you got a good laugh, just having him on our staff..:D

I will say this much for JB, though. He is one heck of a recruiter. I would probably hire him as a D-line & recruiting coord.

Head coach...... not so much.

I tell you what, the fact that shortbus Shawn Watson is your OC is enough for me to discount any possible chance the fuskers have at ever competing in the B12 again. But I'm sure he'll draw up a lot of nice bubble screens and 5-yard outs on 3rd and 7.

Oh, and on topic - screw the fuskers. May they burn in hell. Oh wait, they're already IN hell. Well then, may they burn.