PDA

View Full Version : The Pokes might have found their new coach

Ash
4/16/2008, 11:16 AM
Travis Ford

The Poke reaction is comedy
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=52089&page=2

If he is similar to Capel, they've already upgraded IMO.

tommieharris91
4/16/2008, 11:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3349529

If he's actually shows up to practice, he'll do better that the rat IMO.

kbsooner21
4/16/2008, 11:38 AM
Those guys over there are unrealistic morons :stunned:

wishbonesooner
4/16/2008, 11:52 AM
They had 4 million to offer Bill Self, and their #2 choice was Travis Ford? BBWAAAAA. Those clowns had the nerve to dog us hiring Capel.
I had heard they were going after Jerry Tarkanian.

Collier11
4/16/2008, 11:54 AM
They are idiots, this guy can coach! What do they expect, no big name coach who isnt on probation is going to come to osu.

Their main argument is that he has only been going to the NIT, well look at where the guy has coached and how many games he has won

King Crimson
4/16/2008, 11:56 AM
it doesn't make yer jaw drop, but it's a solid and potentially pretty good hire.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/16/2008, 12:13 PM
Is that the same Travis Ford that used to play for Kentucky?....

Nevermind it is. good player. good coach

picasso
4/16/2008, 12:25 PM
its' funny because I thought that's who it was and this morning BBJ kept saying he was a former Missouri player.

that kid could hoop.

Rhino
4/16/2008, 01:02 PM
Knowing the aggies, Holder probably watched The Sixth Man and said, "That little white kid can probably coach! And if we get him, maybe Dwayne Wayne will haunt Gallagher-Iba as a ghost and make us better!"

frL-t3Vu-fI

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/16/2008, 01:11 PM
travis ford played for mizzou in 1990 (with doug smith) but transferred to kentucky when they were put on probation. you know you are getting old when you've seen these coaches play college ball.

picasso
4/16/2008, 01:13 PM
I thought perhaps that was the case because Ford was older at Kentucky. Still, why would Bay Bay Jay say "former Mizzou player" when he's known for stroking 3's at UK?

Ash
4/16/2008, 01:56 PM
travis ford played for mizzou in 1990 (with doug smith) but transferred to kentucky when they were put on probation. you know you are getting old when you've seen these coaches play college ball.

Jeebus. Ain't that the truth.:(

King Crimson
4/16/2008, 02:01 PM
Jeebus. Ain't that the truth.:(

in. :O

Ash
4/16/2008, 02:04 PM
From teh pokie board. heh

Re: Travis Ford
Holder wiffed bigtime on this deal.

We suck again......

NormanPride
4/16/2008, 02:55 PM
He's got an uphill battle, but they should be a better team next year.

King Crimson
4/16/2008, 03:01 PM
over at the Scout/Insider/ESPN affifilate/Hale board someone is posting he turned them down.

sooner2b09
4/16/2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by bleedaggie View Post
Delusional?

Tradition rich Oklahoma State? The opportunity to have the greatest home-court advantage in basketball? A Final Four less than 5 years ago? 3 or 4 MILLION dollars a year?

And you don't think that would be attractive to a big splash candidate?

(Hits head on keyboard over and over and over....)

sooner518
4/16/2008, 03:10 PM
from the pokies board:

Tradition rich Oklahoma State? The opportunity to have the greatest home-court advantage in basketball? A Final Four less than 5 years ago? 3 or 4 MILLION dollars a year?

And you don't think that would be attractive to a big splash candidate?

its quite a scene. reminds me of the "Who the &*#& is Jeff Capel?!?!" thread over here

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2008, 03:28 PM

Or when the coach of your alma mater is younger than you are.

That was a shock for me on Capel.

Ash
4/16/2008, 03:31 PM
from the pokies board:

its quite a scene. reminds me of the "Who the &*#& is Jeff Capel?!?!" thread over here

:D :O

starrca23
4/16/2008, 03:54 PM
I like the guy who asked, "What ever happened to Bruce Pearl's name?"
Answer: It's still Bruce Pearl... and he still coaches the Vols.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2008, 04:23 PM
You know your OLD when the guys you were watching play, have had a career in the NBA and now are PBP announcers and analysts on ESPN...;)
(e.g. Stacy King).

PrideTrombone
4/16/2008, 05:51 PM
from the pokies board:

Dammit, I wish I could take back that thread. :)

MichiganSooner
4/16/2008, 05:54 PM
According to the drive-home radio sports news the key word at the top of this thread is MIGHT. No announcement pending.

As mentioned, our friends at Orangepower are absolutely going beserko with enjoyment. Predictions of final fours and NCAA's, here we come. The last I heard, basketball games still have only one winner and the other team loses whenever any 2 teams take the court. I guess the rest of the coaches in the Big 12 suck and so do the players if OSU gets a coach who used to be at UMass.
Did anybody notice his all-time record as a coach? It is just over .500. Sounds like he might be a good match for OSU.

Ash
4/16/2008, 06:06 PM
According to the drive-home radio sports news the key word at the top of this thread is MIGHT. No announcement pending.

As mentioned, our friends at Orangepower are absolutely going beserko with enjoyment. Predictions of final fours and NCAA's, here we come. The last I heard, basketball games still have only one winner and the other team loses whenever any 2 teams take the court. I guess the rest of the coaches in the Big 12 suck and so do the players if OSU gets a coach who used to be at UMass.
Did anybody notice his all-time record as a coach? It is just over .500. Sounds like he might be a good match for OSU.

Actually, it's been confirmed.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/umass_coach_travis_ford_accept.html?category=Sport s

MichiganSooner
4/16/2008, 07:03 PM
On the 6 PM newscast, Big Al Jerkens of Tulsa kinda chuckled and said his D1 record is 128-111 but at least he took his team to the NIT finals.

stoopified
4/16/2008, 09:10 PM
you know you are getting old when you've seen these coaches play college ball.True dat!I recall my first reaction to Capel being hired.I thought: YOU KNOW HE WAS A PRETTY GOOD PLAYER.

tulsaoilerfan
4/16/2008, 09:45 PM
Surprisingly there are a couple of people in that thread that make sense; must be gooners in disguise. :)

stoopified
4/16/2008, 09:46 PM
I laugh EVERY TIME I hear oSu fans talk about GIA being THE GREATEST HOME_COURT ADVANTAGE IN AMERICA.oSu and GIA aren't even #! in THE BIG 12,OU and LNC rank #1 in winning %.I thought about pointing that out to them but figure I would be permabanned.

tommieharris91
4/17/2008, 12:25 AM
I laugh EVERY TIME I hear oSu fans talk about GIA being THE GREATEST HOME_COURT ADVANTAGE IN AMERICA.oSu and GIA aren't even #! in THE BIG 12,OU and LNC rank #1 in winning %.I thought about pointing that out to them but figure I would be permabanned.

Dare ya to say "Chris Collins" on OP.com. :cool:

crawfish
4/17/2008, 07:36 AM
It's certainly not a bad hire. But he's not the "big name" you want to hire as justification for treating your last coach so badly.

Honestly, I figured they'd go for a coach in decline (like we did with Schnelly). I'm a bit shocked that they did the smart thing.

MichiganSooner
4/17/2008, 07:38 AM

Some night during the Travis Ford reign, ESPN will be in Stillwater for a Big Monday game and the Pokes will manage to win the game with the home crowd going bananas. I hope an interviewer asks Ford if that was the loudest crowd he ever heard and his response is something like, "our 13.000 were really loud tonight but I played all the time in front of 23.000 at Rupp."

badger
4/17/2008, 07:58 AM
Come on, guys. Let's give Pokie some credit:

NIT winner > NIT loser.

Or, in other words...

Travis Ford > Sean Sutton.

Unfortunately, this is just like a miser dumping his original wife and trading her in for a younger model. Sean Sutton was divorced from OSU, his longtime spouse and he got $2.5 million of their money.

Travis Ford is the new trophy wife. He's new and better looking than the old one, but was the switch really worth it after the divorce settlement and people shaking their heads at your infidelity after two years?

Our little sister school is so strange :rolleyes:

possumfat
4/17/2008, 08:21 AM
To be honest the new coach has not done much more than Sean in 11 years, not a bad hire but almost on the same level of what they had.

Crimsontothecore
4/17/2008, 10:20 AM
To be honest the new coach has not done much more than Sean in 11 years, not a bad hire but almost on the same level of what they had.

Just another example of reality slapping the kid sisters in the face again. You would think by now they would realize that T-boogers money isn't going to buy them success or tradition. Their pipe dream of landing Bill Self or another "BIG NAME" coach is just like them thinking they will have the "BEST FACILITIES IN THE NATION" after they expand their little stadium to 60,000 (:P )
A firm grasp on reality is not a quality they possess.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/17/2008, 01:30 PM
On the 6 PM newscast, Big Al Jerkens of Tulsa kinda chuckled and said his D1 record is 128-111 but at least he took his team to the NIT finals.

capel's wasn't much better, but when you dove into the stats you saw things that you liked. things like shooting more free throws than your opponents, a good assist to TO ratio, a good amount of steals while playing more than 1/2 your games on the road.

that being said, i don't care if i do have a degree from pokey state, i'm not motivated enough to look at what ford has done.

Ash
4/17/2008, 02:08 PM
He took Eastern Kentucky to the NCAAs after building up that program from basically nothing when he got there.

His record at UMass isn't as impressive. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad hire. It just disappoints the Poke fans that T. Boone couldn't buy a big name.

shaun4411
4/17/2008, 02:53 PM
theyre delusional

Mixer!
4/17/2008, 03:29 PM
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8625/osublahblahnn9.gif

Taxman71
4/17/2008, 03:30 PM
The only question is what will Ford look like when his Stillwater barber gets ahold of him? His hair is way too mainstream to be on the silo tech payroll.

Ash
4/17/2008, 03:44 PM
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8625/osublahblahnn9.gif

Awesome.:D

Mixer!
4/17/2008, 03:49 PM
The only question is what will Ford look like when his Stillwater barber gets ahold of him? His hair is way too mainstream to be on the silo tech payroll.
True story: I'm getting a flat repaired on my truck on the morning of "Tirade Saturday", when this guy with an expensive suit and Gundy's haircut comes driving up, asking if he can get an oil change before the game. After he leaves with his wife in her car, I ask the service station owner who that was. He told me it was the ags' new D-coordinator. I made a comment about his ridiculous haircut, and the owner said if he was getting paid that much money, he'd get a haircut like [hairGel] to fit in too.

Mixer!
4/17/2008, 03:58 PM
Awesome.:D
Spek the creator of that gif here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873636&postcount=77).

MichiganSooner
4/17/2008, 06:49 PM
He took Eastern Kentucky to the NCAAs after building up that program from basically nothing when he got there.

His record at UMass isn't as impressive. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad hire. It just disappoints the Poke fans that T. Boone couldn't buy a big name.

He took Eastern Kentucky to the NCAAs simply because EKU won its Conference championship. I don't mean to demean the accomplishment as the team had been down for years and I have watched mid-major basketball off and on and sometimes one of them comes up big like Gonzaga, Davidson, Valpo, Tulsa in the big dance.

MichiganSooner
4/17/2008, 06:53 PM
Just saw the announcement on the 6 PM newscast. I wonder what Mike Holder was thinking when Travis Ford said, "I want to keep up the tradition created by Henry Iba and THE SUTTONS".

Ash
4/17/2008, 06:54 PM
He took Eastern Kentucky to the NCAAs simply because EKU won its Conference championship. I don't mean to demean the accomplishment as the team had been down for year and I have watched mid-major basketball off and on and sometimes one of them comes up big like Gonzaga, Davidson, Valpo, Tulsa in the big dance.

Ummm....yeah, that's usually how it happens for a school like Eastern Kentucky.

I believe they won 20+ games that year...this is a club that won 9 games the two years before he got there.

I'm not saying he's John Wooden, but he's shown he can build a winning program.

And, yeah. Watch out for that Gonzaga team, they'll surprise in the tourney...especially since they've been a perennial top 25 team for the past five years. Maybe you've heard of their coach, Mark Few. He turned down Indiana, Kentucky, Arkansas among others to stay at Gonzaga. Crazy, huh?

MichiganSooner
4/17/2008, 09:51 PM
Nah, Spokane is beautiful. Lighten up, yes I have heard of Coach Few. And I know Gonzaga has been a perennial top 25 for 5 or 6 years. I have followed college basketball for 45 years +. 5 years is a lightening bolt in the grand scheme of things to me. I was just using them as a mid-major example.

BigRedJed
4/18/2008, 07:28 AM
After reading up on him a bit and watching his news conference, I think Holder has surprisingly outdone himself. Looks like a really, really good hire to me, unfortunately. The funny thing is how much the pokies are hating on him, and think he's beneath the job. What a bunch of reality-challenged d-bags.

I hope he breaks off a couple of really good seasons, maybe a sweet sixteen or elite eight (no further, please), and jumps to an even better job. That would be classic.

MichiganSooner
4/18/2008, 07:39 AM
Agree with you BigRedJed. After reading the paper this morning he looks like a good coach to add to the Big 12. I just enjoy poking fun at the Pokes.

Taxman71
4/18/2008, 09:05 AM
Yea, the only question about this hire is that it breaks TBoone's....err Holder's demand that all their coaches consider osu to be their "retirement" job. If Ford turns out to be highly successful, I don't see him passing on a Kentucky or other high profile job, if offered.

royalfan5
4/18/2008, 10:47 AM
With the addition of Ford the Big XII has a pretty young group of coaches with a lot of potential. I think that's good for the league, and will benefit all the programs by raising the level of competition night in/night out.

King Crimson
4/18/2008, 10:54 AM
With the addition of Ford the Big XII has a pretty young group of coaches with a lot of potential. I think that's good for the league, and will benefit all the programs by raising the level of competition night in/night out.

when you consider the turnover in coaches, the XII has really changed it's complexion from a coaching standpoint from just 3-4 years ago. much younger group.

Gone:
Sampson
Eddie
Knight
Quin S.
Wayne Morgan
Rico Patton
Woolridge
Collier

Here:
Capel
Ford (with Sean in the middle)
Knight II
Mike Anderson
McDermott
Bzdelik
Martin (with Huggy in the middle)
Sadler

Mixer!
4/18/2008, 01:22 PM
Heh.

I am just glad we have people running these forums that are a little more mature than this. Seems like the site is run by some ****ed off teenagers....

poke4christ
4/18/2008, 04:41 PM
After reading up on him a bit and watching his news conference, I think Holder has surprisingly outdone himself. Looks like a really, really good hire to me, unfortunately. The funny thing is how much the pokies are hating on him, and think he's beneath the job. What a bunch of reality-challenged d-bags.

I hope he breaks off a couple of really good seasons, maybe a sweet sixteen or elite eight (no further, please), and jumps to an even better job. That would be classic.

Thanks for the kind words on ford, but you might want to take another look at orangepower. After the presser by Ford, it's almost nothing but positive talk. Sure, there were some negative posts at first because he isn't a big name guy, but it was still more positive then negative. Now, it's almost nothing but people loving on the guy.

picasso
4/18/2008, 05:10 PM
geez the talk radio around here is getting tiresome. just let the guy coach and put a squad on the court, then we can figure out what kind of job he's going to do.