PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Post a Pole with this . Do you save

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 01:47 AM
Bacon grease ?
I have a bowl full in the fridge, I use it it for a Lot of Differant things . In beans , add a little to My biscuit dough , etc.

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 02:56 AM
Yep, I largely use it to make dough for dumplings, biscuits or fry batter.

But, why do you keep it in your fridge?

Ike
4/16/2008, 03:52 AM
Nope. Then again, we rarely make bacon.

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 06:23 AM
Yep, I largely use it to make dough for dumplings, biscuits or fry batter.

But, why do you keep it in your fridge?

Cause its a Meat grease . It stays good longer. I dont cook that often

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 06:25 AM
Nope. Then again, we rarely make bacon.

I realise that some folks have health probs ,or other reasons fer Not eating bacon. Those folks can be Honarary Grease savin hillbillies .:cool:

Harry Beanbag
4/16/2008, 07:29 AM
We keep it in a coffee can in the freezer. We don't ever use it to cook or anything, it's just easier and cleaner to dispose of that way.

4/16/2008, 08:30 AM
Olevet, try a little in yer fried taters and onions next time.

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 08:36 AM
Olevet, try a little in yer fried taters and onions next time.

I also like it on fresh lettuce

soonerinabilene
4/16/2008, 09:07 AM
I like to mix it with my shampoo, that way i smell delicious all day long.

soonerinabilene
4/16/2008, 09:09 AM
Actually, using bacon grease to fry your egg or toasting your bread in it is AWESOME. Your heart kind of tenses up with every bite, but it is soooo worth it.

SoonerProphet
4/16/2008, 09:24 AM
I usually put a spoon full or two in my green beans, then cook those sumbitches for hours.

soonermix
4/16/2008, 10:05 AM
can i get another option on the poll that says: i'm a single dude that only cooks cereal and sandwiches but good god i want some bacon now

thx

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/16/2008, 10:07 AM
I also like it on fresh lettuce

My mom does that. Cooks a few pieces of bacon, all crumbled up and when it's done just pours everything over a big salad. Mostly just lettuce and maters. Maybe some onions.

Limp lettuce salad, I've heard it called.

:les: HILLBILLIES!!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/16/2008, 10:08 AM
I just 5 starred this thread based on the hillbilly factor alone.

Yeah.

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 10:11 AM
can i get another option on the poll that says: i'm a single dude that only cooks cereal and sandwiches but good god i want some bacon now

thx

No
Im single and I cook Bacon . Hell Im a pretty dayum good Cook . I just hate the cleaning part .
Im doing my semi Monthly dish washin Now .

C&CDean
4/16/2008, 10:14 AM
All my life growing up my mom kept a cast iron skillet full of bacon grease in the cabinet under the stove. She'd just pull it out, heat it up until the grease melted, and drop whatever meat she had in the grease to cook. When she was done, she'd let it cool and then stick it back under the stove.

Also, I was raised on a lot of grits. Mom's grits were always so good, and when I go home she makes them for me. Anyhow, when I went in the Army, I remember seeing grits on the chow line. I got some, and when I ate them I couldn't understand why they were so nasty. No flavor at all. I tried salt/pepper/butter and it helped, but they weren't anything like mom's. I also noticed they were very white in color.

So, I go home on leave and ask mom to cook me some grits. I watched her making them and the first thing she did was unroll a whole stick of butter into them, about half a Morton's thing of salt, about half a shaker of pepper, and just before she served them she poured a buttload of hot bacon grease with some cracklins in it all over the grits making them a kind of brown color. I mixed up a half-dozen over easy eggs in that mess and got busy with it. Good stuff.

royalfan5
4/16/2008, 10:18 AM
There are people who don't save grease?

Beef
4/16/2008, 10:20 AM
I realise that some folks have health probs ,or other reasons fer Not eating bacon. Those folks can be Honarary Grease savin hillbillies .:cool:

Thanks, vet. Back in my bacon eatin days, I kept it in a coffee can under the cooktop. Hell, there might still be some there. :eek:

Mixer!
4/16/2008, 10:26 AM
I think folks saved their bacon grease back in WW2, no?

soonermix
4/16/2008, 10:41 AM
No
Im single and I cook Bacon . Hell Im a pretty dayum good Cook . I just hate the cleaning part .
Im doing my semi Monthly dish washin Now .

can i get an order of bacon with a bacon sandwich and maybe a side order of bacon? ;)

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 10:59 AM
All my life growing up my mom kept a cast iron skillet full of bacon grease in the cabinet under the stove. She'd just pull it out, heat it up until the grease melted, and drop whatever meat she had in the grease to cook. When she was done, she'd let it cool and then stick it back under the stove.

Also, I was raised on a lot of grits. Mom's grits were always so good, and when I go home she makes them for me. Anyhow, when I went in the Army, I remember seeing grits on the chow line. I got some, and when I ate them I couldn't understand why they were so nasty. No flavor at all. I tried salt/pepper/butter and it helped, but they weren't anything like mom's. I also noticed they were very white in color.

So, I go home on leave and ask mom to cook me some grits. I watched her making them and the first thing she did was unroll a whole stick of butter into them, about half a Morton's thing of salt, about half a shaker of pepper, and just before she served them she poured a buttload of hot bacon grease with some cracklins in it all over the grits making them a kind of brown color. I mixed up a half-dozen over easy eggs in that mess and got busy with it. Good stuff.

Grits and Eggs , YUM

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 11:04 AM
can i get an order of bacon with a bacon sandwich and maybe a side order of bacon? ;)

Dude It aint that hard to fry bacon ,
Ya get a skillet , you get some bacon and put it in skillet , turn On heat , fry bacon . turn off heat .
Eat that stuff up. save grease fer other cookin ;)

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 11:28 AM
My mom does that. Cooks a few pieces of bacon, all crumbled up and when it's done just pours everything over a big salad. Mostly just lettuce and maters. Maybe some onions.

Limp lettuce salad, I've heard it called.

:les: HILLBILLIES!!!

We do that with garden fresh lettuce and call it wilted lettuce. It can't be healthy but it tastes good. I can see that adding garden fresh chopped tomatoes, spring oinions, cucumbers, bell peppers would be even better and probably help raise the health quotient. Thanks for that!