PDA

View Full Version : Sushi

royalfan5
4/15/2008, 10:33 PM
So friday I will be going to a restaurant that serves sushi. I feel like I should try it. So what is a good starter sushi?

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 10:35 PM
Volcano Rolls!!!!!1

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2008, 10:55 PM
So friday I will be going to a restaurant that serves sushi. I feel like I should try it. So what is a good starter sushi?

Are you looking for a roll or nigirisushi?

For nigirisushi it's hard to go wrong with maguro or hamachi.

For rolls, it's hard to screw up a crunch roll too badly.

GottaHavePride
4/15/2008, 10:57 PM
Nagiri sushi is pretty safe - I like it better than the rolls anyway.

As far as the rolls go, just avoid the ones with the little crunchy baby octopussies sticking out of them. And shrimp (I hate shrimp).

royalfan5
4/15/2008, 11:02 PM
Are you looking for a roll or nigirisushi?

For nigirisushi it's hard to go wrong with maguro or hamachi.

For rolls, it's hard to screw up a crunch roll too badly.

I'm mostly looking to not look like an idiot in front of a pretty blond girl.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 11:06 PM
Then I would stay away from the Nigiri sushi. While yummy, you might want to try it for the first time when not trying to look good for the laddies. The first time you eat raw fish is kind of weird. Stick with rolls and such, but if she actually orders some sushi, man up, eat it, and even if you hate it, pretend it is the best damn thing you have ever tasted!

StoopTroup
4/15/2008, 11:24 PM
I'd go there before the date if I were you.

Make sure you get something you like.

Then whan she says "Do you come here a lot?"...you can say "I've been here before".

YWIA

I'm just sayin...

GottaHavePride
4/15/2008, 11:26 PM

Tip #1 - eat the piece of sushi in one bite. Don't try to bite it in half or anything.

Fingers are ok.

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2008, 11:30 PM
Tip #1 - eat the piece of sushi in one bite. Don't try to bite it in half or anything.

Fingers are ok.

Not only OK, but fingers are the "proper" way to eat nigiri sushi.

StoopTroup
4/15/2008, 11:33 PM
Don't snort wasabi.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/04/07/steveo.jpg

Vaevictis
4/15/2008, 11:35 PM
I'm a big fan of nigiri type sushi, which is just a clump of rice with a cut of fish on top. I strongly prefer regular fish. No octopus, especially not eel.

It's hard to go wrong with salmon, which tastes the same raw as it does smoked. Tuna is also a good place to start. Most real fish is fine.

On wasabi (the mound of green stuff they give you): Good stuff, but a little goes a long, long way. It will harm you if you use too much. A lot. I'm talking tears running down your face and snot pouring out of your nose. So start very, very slow with it until you get a feel for it.

Fraggle145
4/15/2008, 11:35 PM

Stick to rolls if you havent had it before, or if you have any qualms about eating fresh fish, i.e., stay away from sashimi, the Rainbow roll, and the Unagi roll if you do. The Unagi roll is cooked but it looks kind of funny, e.g., a cooked freshwater eel on top of the roll... definitely not for n00bs. California roll is the standard for sushi n00bs. They do have rolls with cooked fish such as smoked salmon and and tempura fried rolls are quite good. Hand rolls are good too and you dont have to use chopsticks.

Fingers are okay for regular rolls too, but chopsticks are the convention. Wasabi is hot like a horseradish on steroids, so if you dont like horseradish use sparingly if at all. I like fresh Ginger... that is the pink/peach stuff on the plate. If your stomach feels bad eat some of that.

Sake tastes like rubbing alcohol but works like a charm. I like it personally. Get the Momokawa Pearl Sake if you want to try some or she does for the first time. It is served chilled and is fairly sweet.

Hope all of that helps... :cool:

P.S. most places have green tea ice cream for desert and it is green, but tastes good as hell.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/15/2008, 11:37 PM
usually there are rolls that don't have raw fish. for example, a kappa maki is just cucumber and rice. smear a bit of wasabi on it and soak it in soy sauce.

there are probably some rolls with cooked shellfish as well. like a breaded shrimp or tempura shrimp.

if you're going to try raw fish, I think salmon is the easiest. The sake maki is a salmon roll. same thing: a bit of wasabi and soak in soy sauce.

Also there are usually many cook items - teriyaki and tempura dinners.

Unless it is a "just sushi" place, this should be no problem.

I also agree there are some great specialty rolls- usually different for each restaurant. I love the volcano roll at my local place.

rainiersooner
4/15/2008, 11:39 PM
It's hard to go wrong with salmon, which tastes the same raw as it does smoked. Tuna is also a good place to start. Most real fish is fine.

On wasabi (the mound of green stuff they give you): Good stuff, but a little goes a long, long way. It will harm you if you use too much. A lot. I'm talking tears running down your face and snot pouring out of your nose. So start very, very slow with it until you get a feel for it.

My buddy owns a seafood processing company in Oregon, and he's Japanese. I'm not sure this makes him entirely qualified to opine, but I took his advice to heart: salmon, while I agree that it is the tastiest of the raw fish, is apparently NASTY, NASTY, NASTY, when it comes to parasites. So, unless you chase it with a tablespoon of dry wasabi and a litre of saki, you should stick to the cooked rolls unless you want to hurt your tummy and throw up on your beautiful blonde date; for what it's worth.

KC//CRIMSON
4/15/2008, 11:39 PM
Go here. Read. Learn.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93701

StoopTroup
4/15/2008, 11:40 PM
Snatch the pebble from KC's hand Grasshopper.

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/kungfu.jpg

GottaHavePride
4/15/2008, 11:41 PM
Sake tastes like rubbing alcohol but works like a charm. I like it personally. Get the Momokawa Pearl Sake if you want to try some or she does for the first time. It is served chilled and is fairly sweet.

I prefer the Fu-ki plum sake. But it's like anything else, you just have to try a few different kinds until you find one you like.

Frozen Sooner
My buddy owns a seafood processing company in Oregon, and he's Japanese. I'm not sure this makes him entirely qualified to opine, but I took his advice to heart: salmon, while I agree that it is the tastiest of the raw fish, is apparently NASTY, NASTY, NASTY, when it comes to parasites. So, unless you chase it with a tablespoon of dry wasabi and a litre of saki, you should stick to the cooked rolls unless you want to hurt your tummy and throw up on your beautiful blonde date; for what it's worth.

If salmon is handled properly and to code, then any and all parasites should be dead by the time it gets to your plate.

Eating it raw right out of the river or ocean is a pretty bad idea, but sashimi-grade salmon has to be handled a very particular way.

rainiersooner
I actually hate sushi - but in Seattle, it seems to be a bit of a "man up" thing, so I eat it and puke when I get home.

rainiersooner
4/15/2008, 11:43 PM
If salmon is handled properly and to code, then any and all parasites should be dead by the time it gets to your plate.

Eating it raw right out of the river or ocean is a pretty bad idea, but sashimi-grade salmon has to be handled a very particular way.

Yeah, truth be told, that's why I probably still eat it when I do eat sushi - his admonitions are always in the back of my mind though. It's actually never salmon that makes me sick - it's the yellow tail and mackeral. But again, enough saki and you don't mind until later!

Vaevictis
4/15/2008, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure this makes him entirely qualified to opine, but I took his advice to heart: salmon, while I agree that it is the tastiest of the raw fish, is apparently NASTY, NASTY, NASTY, when it comes to parasites.

I eat crawfish, lobster and crab. I also eat catfish. Salmon is the least of my worries.

Fraggle145
4/15/2008, 11:46 PM
I prefer the Fu-ki plum sake. But it's like anything else, you just have to try a few different kinds until you find one you like.

personally i like hot sake on a cold day... I also like it to start a night of going out!

btw... Toro (fatty Tuna) = meat candy

SoonerProphet
4/16/2008, 08:03 AM
Momokawa sake is the bomb.

TexasLidig8r
4/16/2008, 09:07 AM
The hot hand towel they bring, or should, before hand.. use it.

If you order sake, do NOT pour your own first drink. It is bad luck.

USE chopsticks!.. before using chopsticks, if they are the simple wooden kind and not porcelain, rub them together to the side off the table... this gets rid of any stray splinters.

Take your low sodium soy sauce and mix in a small amount (although, I like A LOT) of the wasabi until the wasabi has been liquified. Test it with the ginger which should be in front of you.. this also helps clear your pallet.

For sushi noobs... order a rainbow roll.. different types of fish (usually includes salmon, yellowtail and tuna).. it will look something like this...

http://loscabosrecipes.com/images/NS-rainbowroll-med.jpg

If you like any type better than others, you can then place a sushi order.. (you will usually get two pieces of it.. again served on rice)... If you REALLY like it, you can order it sashimi (with no rice).

if they have toro, order it... greatness in sashimi.. from the fatty belly of the tuna.. all sorts of deliciousness.. it will look something like.. this...

http://food.3yen.com/wp-content/images/toro_sashimi.JPG

If they have a robata grill, you can't go wrong... the hamachi kama (jawbone of a yellowtail) is a standard... lightly cooked, usually also served with a sweet sauce.. delicious... for the most part, any item from the robata grill should be ok.

For dessert.. I'd recommend unagi... eel... cooked on rice but it has a wonderful sweet sauce...

(of course, this all changes if you love Asian cuisine like I do).

Finally.. sit at the sushi bar so you can watch the chefs prepare the food... you can ask questions, see how it is prepared... the chefs I know also appreciate having a customer buy them a shot!... have downed many a patron with crazy Asian sushi chefs.

YWIA.

soonerinabilene
4/16/2008, 09:18 AM
Roll it in some cornmeal, and ask if they have a fry daddy. YWIA.

C&CDean
4/16/2008, 10:05 AM
The only thing I've learned from this thread is that we have a board full of metrosexual homos posting on it.

The blonde wants fish? Take her to the all-you-can-scarf catfish joint.

I've tried pretty much all the stuff being mentioned here (except the chopsticks part because it's already been documented and established that roundeyes using the sticks is pathetically gay and wannabe to the extreme).

Also, don't pay any attention to the poontangs who think you only need a tiny spot of wasabe. The first time I ate sushi I took the whole glob with my first bite. I asked the waiter to bring me some more, while everybody at the table was looking at me all slack-jawed. I'm like "what?" And they go "dude, you're fixin' to die." I go "why, did I eat the bad fish or something?" I got the burn, but that **** is good. I couldn't imagine eating that sushi without a bunch of wasabe on it.

The pink ginger is alright, but it overpowers everything else. Also, be prepared to spend a whole lot of $$ and after you drop her off you're gonna need to go find a greasy spoon and get your grub on. Sushi does not fill you up.

SoonerInKCMO
4/16/2008, 10:14 AM
Roll it in some cornmeal, and ask if they have a fry daddy. YWIA.

I'd prefer flour but yeah, this is the way to go.

royalfan5
4/16/2008, 10:17 AM
The only thing I've learned from this thread is that we have a board full of metrosexual homos posting on it.

I've tried pretty much all the stuff being mentioned here (except the chopsticks part because it's already been documented and established that roundeyes using the sticks is pathetically gay and wannabe to the extreme).

Also, don't pay any attention to the poontangs who think you only need a tiny spot of wasabe. The first time I ate sushi I took the whole glob with my first bite. I asked the waiter to bring me some more, while everybody at the table was looking at me all slack-jawed. I'm like "what?" And they go "dude, you're fixin' to die." I go "why, did I eat the bad fish or something?" I got the burn, but that **** is good. I couldn't imagine eating that sushi without a bunch of wasabe on it.

The pink ginger is alright, but it overpowers everything else. Also, be prepared to spend a whole lot of $$ and after you drop her off you're gonna need to go find a greasy spoon and get your grub on. Sushi does not fill you up.

The all you can eat catfish joint doesn't open til memorial day, and all the good restaraunts in North Omaha are only open during the day.

I figured I would go heavy on the wasabi since I soak my sandwiches in horseradish anyway.

TexasLidig8r
4/16/2008, 10:21 AM

Metrosexuality is exclusive from homosexuality. Of course, a true metrosexual does not admit that he is a metrosexual.

And pick her up in your 25 year old pick up truck with the gun rack in back while you chew on a big ole chaw of tobaccy with Larry the Cable Guy playing in the background.

that.. or a sign of respect for the owners of the place (if Asian) and shows the ability to adapt. Chopsticks also slows the eating process (since most people are actually filled up before their bodies have a chance to process the message, resulting in overeating).

Wasabi should accent the taste.. not overpower it. You want to experience both the different tastes and textures of the fish.. which you can't do if your mouth is burning.

Now if you want a big ole side of beef, or lessons in how to slice open your leg while standing on top of a tractor, or dragging dead cows or horses around the pasture... or shootin' poachin' sumbiches on your property.. take ole Dean's advice... otherwise... well.. uh.. :D

C&CDean
4/16/2008, 10:28 AM
I rest my case.

NormanPride
4/16/2008, 11:27 AM
Actually, Dean's proven he has a pretty good palate. His continued love for grease over complexity is baffling, though. ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2008, 11:28 AM
Lid, I'm sorry bro, but fingers is actually the way that sushi is supposed to be eaten. You can use chopsticks if you're fussy and you think it will impress your date though.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-review-62E3-9FC5288-39447149-prod2

It's also considered kind of gauche to dredge nigiri through a wasabi-soy mixture. Fine for sashimi, though.

C&CDean
4/16/2008, 01:20 PM
Lid, I'm sorry bro, but fingers is actually the way that sushi is supposed to be eaten. You can use chopsticks if you're fussy and you think it will impress your date though.

It's also considered kind of gauche to dredge nigiri through a wasabi-soy mixture. Fine for sashimi, though.

We won the ****ing war, we'll eat their nasty bait any damn well we please.

Also, if I'm wanting to impress my date I just unzip my britches. If you're hanging out with some bimbette who gets turned on seeing you struggle to stick a tiny piece of bait into your mouth with a couple sticks then may I suggest you're hanging out with the wrong caliber of female?

And no way in hell you just used "gauche." That's what my ex-wife used to call me, and I haven't heard it since. You don't wanna be bringing back those memories.

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 01:54 PM
I don't give a damn about Dean's ideas or perspectives, except they are probably useful on the farm for dead cattle dragging around. That, and his new tractor with front loader driving picking up stuff and driving around.

Why are chopsticks so hard for you? Okay. Nevermind.

I had always dipped my sushi in the soy wasabi sauce and I was shocked to learn that that is considered an insult in good Japanese restaurants. My office colleague who grew up in Japan was saying how his high school friends were so afraid of being kicked out of the restaurant if the sushi chef caught him dipping his sushi in wasabi. Sushi has wasabi in it and any need to add more is an insult to the chef. These sushi chefs take their job very seriously.

I normally prefer sashmi anyway. The melt in your mouth salmon is pretty close to heaven as food can get.

And, if Dean loves wasabi, it's not only for sashmi and sushi. I use it on everything.

His next tailgate should include a bit of it because it is great with beef, chicken, pork and seafood. You can buy these packets, add water, mix and then add soy sauce and it's the real deal.

Besides that, I prefer chopsticks. I'm very adept and I'm told I have pretty hands for it. Heh!

Dean, you are just jealous.

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2008, 02:05 PM
We won the ****ing war, we'll eat their nasty bait any damn well we please.

Also, if I'm wanting to impress my date I just unzip my britches. If you're hanging out with some bimbette who gets turned on seeing you struggle to stick a tiny piece of bait into your mouth with a couple sticks then may I suggest you're hanging out with the wrong caliber of female?

And no way in hell you just used "gauche." That's what my ex-wife used to call me, and I haven't heard it since. You don't wanna be bringing back those memories.

Gauche.

Gauche.

Gauche.

:D

And I don't use the chopsticks on the sushi. I can use them (providence of having a first-generation Japanese friend in elementary school) quite well, but I don't on sushi any more than I use a fork for french fries.

yermom
4/16/2008, 02:09 PM
i'm a big fan of the chop sticks, especially for noodles

i've kinda had a hankerin' for some sushi lately

C&CDean
4/16/2008, 02:10 PM
I don't give a damn about Dean's ideas or perspectives, except they are probably useful on the farm for dead cattle dragging around. That, and his new tractor with front loader driving picking up stuff and driving around.

Why are chopsticks so hard for you? Okay. Nevermind.

I had always dipped my sushi in the soy wasabi sauce and I was shocked to learn that that is considered an insult in good Japanese restaurants. My office colleague who grew up in Japan was saying how his high school friends were so afraid of being kicked out of the restaurant if the sushi chef caught him dipping his sushi in wasabi. Sushi has wasabi in it and any need to add more is an insult to the chef. These sushi chefs take their job very seriously.

I normally prefer sashmi anyway. The melt in your mouth salmon is pretty close to heaven as food can get.

And, if Dean loves wasabi, it's not only for sashmi and sushi. I use it on everything.

His next tailgate should include a bit of it because it is great with beef, chicken, pork and seafood. You can buy these packets, add water, mix and then add soy sauce and it's the real deal.

Besides that, I prefer chopsticks. I'm very adept and I'm told I have pretty hands for it. Heh!

Dean, you are just jealous.

Don't lie Chuck. You care deeply about my thoughts and ideas.

And I'm sure your hands are pretty holding a stick or two, and that's groovy. However, watching stupid white people trying to use chopsticks so they can be suave, debonaire, fit in, impress their date, or for any other reason than there's no fork or knife available is gay. And I don't mean that in the good way.

I'm embarrassed for people who do it. It's the same embarrassement I have for a 20 or 30 something yuppy sipping a martini while smoking an overpriced cigar thinking he's the coolest thing since James Dean. Or the same embarrassment I have for a scrawny white kid walking around with his boxers showing and his pants down around his knees, his stupid flat-brimmed hat on sideways, and his $12 wannabe bling giant fake whatever stone earrings.

It looks stupid. It is stupid. Living in Thailand and eating like the locals is OK. Living in Moore, OK, and going to the Golden Wang buffet and doing it is gay.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/16/2008, 02:12 PM
'Golden Wang Buffet' is a good name for a band.

:eddie:

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 02:14 PM
Only Sushi Im eating is Gonna be packaged this way !
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/poorba98/images/sung17.jpg
just sayin

KC//CRIMSON
4/16/2008, 02:25 PM
just sayin

HELLO KITTY!

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 02:36 PM
And Ill use My fangers to help develope the Taste !

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 02:42 PM
Don't lie Chuck. You care deeply about my thoughts and ideas.

I'm not going to lie to you, Dean, and I have to admit you have pretty good tastes, but lousy ideas about the rest of it.

So yeah, I'm going with Olevet on his sushi ideas although I'm nost sure about how the sticky rice and seaweed comes into play.

And, I'm going with Nope on the deep thoughts and ideas angle because I haven't thought any further than that.

NormanPride
4/16/2008, 02:50 PM
I like the Sushi Train in Tulsa. I know it looks ghetto, and some of their stuff is goofy, but it's still pretty good and cheaper than anywhere else.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/16/2008, 04:31 PM
btw... Toro (fatty Tuna) = meat candy

True dat! Had Sushi in Kuala Lumpur, Toro at $25 a pc. Yeah, it was an expensive hotel. But tasty

Stay away from Sea Urchin until you are more experienced. Tuna and salmon are good, I also liked cooked eel (unagi?). Rolls are good and for the squeamish - tempura is always a good bet.

4/16/2008, 06:43 PM
I've tried it. Hell, I'll try most anything once as long as it doesn't smell like dirty feet.

I was in L.A. at what was billed to be one of the best sushi places in town... don't recall the name, it was 15 years ago and it was my best bud's first wedding... so I thought I'd give it a shot. I tried three different kinds and didn't like one of them.

Too much NW Oklahoma still in my veins, I guess.

For the record, I've tried calf balls too and didn't care much for them. Had a mouth full of brain once. That was enough. Mind over matter, I guess.

Still, I'd try any wok-fried spider or fire-grilled tarantula that was placed in front of me.

StoopTroup
4/16/2008, 06:53 PM
Until I can pluck someone's eye out with chopsticks...I'll be using a fork or my hands.

I have to get back to plucking practice.

Mr. Miyagi impressed me when he caught a fly with his sticks.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/ap/ny10911251507.widec.jpg

StoopTroup
4/16/2008, 07:05 PM
BTW...

This isn't about sushi....it is about that place called Pei Wei...

We went there one time and I had the lettuce wraps as a starter. It came with some sort of thin peanut/soy. I poured the whole thing on them. The next day a got welps from it.

Since I also the lemon shrimp dinner I wasn't sure if it was the wraps that did me in.

The next time I had just the lemon shrimp. Nothing happened.

I went back a week later and had the lettuce wraps but when sparingly on the suace. The next day...allergic reaction.

I've eaten at every oriental place I can think of and Pei Wei is the only place I got an allergic reaction.

It was a nice change of pace to go there every now and then but just looking at someone eat those wraps gives me the heeby jeebies.

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 07:17 PM
Get bigger Nuts next time
those Penuts are Messin wit ya !

soonerloyal
4/16/2008, 07:24 PM
My "old Biatch" opinion on sushi that I wrote two years ago. I'm still recovering from the experience:

There's an old Chinese proverb that says if you try a new food and like it, you'll add a day to your life. On a recent trip to the Seafood City of Portland, I decided to put that pearl of wisdom to the test. How did it go, you ask? Read on. My mouth's too full of grits and okra to answer politely. You be the judge and jury.

sushi: a congealed sticky mass of raw fish with a scent guaranteed to make the diner think he/she has been taken prisoner aboard a chum boat, combined with vegetables of questionable food value. Sometimes combined with a substance that in a kinder life would have ended up infant fishies; wrapped in a viscous piece of seaweed that was recently harboring a now-homeless plankton, and rice so adhesive-like the eater will need a jackhammer and two mean dogs to pry it from the roof of his/her mouth. Entire mess is sprinkled with vinegar so strong, you wouldn't use to strip wax from linoleum.

sashimi: a clever spelling ploy to trick the diner into thinking they are really stretching their culinary muscles, when they are in fact merely eating the above-mentioned sushi that has been rolled around under the armpit of the assistant chef in the back.

Each is served with an evil-looking condiment called wasabi which in English translates into "Holy Cripes, I've just ingested C4 explosive!"

Maybe it's an acquired taste. After all, little kids have been known to eat from the litter box more than once.

Yes, smartyboots, you can infer that a trip to one of Portland's most authentic and favored sushi restaurants was wasted on this "fried chicken and potatos" Sooner gal.

I tried, I really did try. I'm thinking, "Hey it's a new adventure, I've never been to Oregon. Salmon is supposed to be great stuff, especially here." So my kindly, well-traveled friends ordered for me. I had informed them that Pace picante mild gives me mouth sores, so they waved me away from the wasabi. I knew not to try daikon (hot radishes) either. It was a feast for the eyes watching those sushi masters create our plates. I shuddered at some of the ingredients, but whattheheck.

I picked up my chopsticks and carefully strangled the roll. I got it halfway to my mouth and it landed in my lap. No problem, they see I'm a lame-o and hand me a fork. Into the mouth it goes. GAGGGHHHHAAAAAA! Why, oh why is expectorating into your napkin so socially abhored, I thought. This is certainly the exception to the rule, if hurling all over the nice Japanese man is the alternative. I now will never be able to try salmon again, I don't care if Emeril himself bams it up for me. I blink tears out of my lashes, frantically stuffing a bit of pickled ginger in my mouth to kill the taste. 'Cleanse my palate', my Aunt Hannah; I want to Brillo pad my tongue. Convulsed is what I about did when I had to swallow that stuff. My gag reflex kicked in like someone was trying to intubate me with a tire iron. The smell of the wasabi alone singed my nose hairs - I was sneezing little bits of charcoaled follicles for two days. I just kept thinking, "And I'm PAYING someone good money for this?!"

Next roll. I figured since I like shrimp so much, the cooked stuff I could dip into the soy sauce was a safe bet. WRONG. It should be a federal offense to make a fine piece of seafood taste so dangerously disgusting. More ginger, and then I drain my water, my friends' saki (don't EVEN go there) and the water from the flower vase on the adjacent table. I am "sucking it up" like a good Southern Marine mom should, though. My mind wanders longingly back to the Greek cafe we lunched at earlier in the afternoon. I vaguely wonder why I hadn't packed a doggy bag. Meanwhile my friends are swooning over their eel, their squid and their wasabi. One of the girls is a Marine; I have always trusted her implicitly. I begin to question both my judgement AND her sanity.

The entire restaurant is now eyeing me askance; the elderly chef sees through my pathetic attempt at groaning "uuuuUmmmmm, good!". He kindly prepares me a plate of tempura and and gives me a Coke. I am now thoroughly humiliated and want to have a frontal lobotomy to completely wipe this experience from my brain.

So much for the "adding a day to my life" crud. I figure I'm now four days closer to my demise.

Y'all go ahead and rhapsodize ecstatically over this stuff. I'm gonna fry up some gizzards, make some sweet tea and curl up on the sofa. No more food experimentation for me. In this gal's case - "it's all good" does NOT apply!

My lesson learned? If I want to eat raw fish, I'll just plunge my hand into my neighbor's fishtank and grab Goldie. It'll be cheaper that way...

You can take the girl from the tiny Oklahoma town, but ya can't take the tiny Oklahoma town from the girl. I'm fine with that.
:D

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 07:34 PM
Do you use Bacon grease ?

soonerloyal
4/16/2008, 07:37 PM
Do you use Bacon grease ?

On everything.

It didn't help.

tommieharris91
4/16/2008, 07:50 PM
just sayin

She probably would enjoy the Golden Wang Buffet.

GottaHavePride
4/16/2008, 08:27 PM
Loyal, I'm just sayin', but... if the sushi you got smelled like nasty chum, you were in a ****ty sushi place. It shouldn't smell like anything.

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 10:02 PM
Loyal, I'm just sayin', but... if the sushi you got smelled like nasty chum, you were in a ****ty sushi place. It shouldn't smell like anything.

If it Dont smell Like a fish and Look like a Taco :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
4/16/2008, 10:03 PM
On everything.

It didn't help.

I hate that U married
Cause I fell In love .:cool:

sooneron
4/17/2008, 08:27 AM
This thread is serious hillbilly.

srsly.

Mjcpr
4/17/2008, 08:49 AM
BTW...

This isn't about sushi....it is about that place called Pei Wei...

We went there one time and I had the lettuce wraps as a starter. It came with some sort of thin peanut/soy. I poured the whole thing on them. The next day a got welps from it.

Since I also the lemon shrimp dinner I wasn't sure if it was the wraps that did me in.

The next time I had just the lemon shrimp. Nothing happened.

I went back a week later and had the lettuce wraps but when sparingly on the suace. The next day...allergic reaction.

I've eaten at every oriental place I can think of and Pei Wei is the only place I got an allergic reaction.

It was a nice change of pace to go there every now and then but just looking at someone eat those wraps gives me the heeby jeebies.

Maybe you're allergic to peanuts?

Who?

C&CDean
4/17/2008, 09:22 AM
This thread is serious hillbilly.

srsly.

You say that like it's a problem or something.

Besides, try as hard as you might to be a suave, urbanite, upscale, metrosexual, funny shoe wearing, quasi-New Yorker, you're still nothing but a ****ing biscuits and gravy and chicken fry grubbing hillbilly and you know it.

soonerboomer93
4/17/2008, 09:35 AM
damn you ole vet

now i's hungry

olevetonahill
4/17/2008, 09:49 AM
damn you ole vet

now i's hungry

"wetted" My appetite

Vaevictis
4/17/2008, 12:43 PM
I had informed them that Pace picante mild gives me mouth sores, so they waved me away from the wasabi.

This may be part of the problem. I didn't like sushi at all until I started using wasabi.

And I still don't like most kinds. Mostly just nigiri with the milder fish on top, sometimes a rainbow roll.

CORNholio
4/17/2008, 02:13 PM
If Bear Grylls and Survivorman can eat raw zebra and drink the moisture off of elephant dung then I think people should be able to stomach some raw fish. It's not like your pulling the liver out of a dying buffalo and taking a chunk.

StoopTroup
4/17/2008, 09:23 PM
Maybe you're allergic to peanuts?

Who?

I don't think that's it. I can eat a bag of those peanuts during an OU Game.

Turd_Ferguson
4/17/2008, 09:45 PM
I just nuked a cup'o Ramen noodles. Should I eat them with chop sticks...or is a fork ok?

olevetonahill
4/17/2008, 09:56 PM
This may be part of the problem. I didn't like sushi at all until I started using wasabi.

And I still don't like most kinds. Mostly just nigiri with the milder fish on top, sometimes a rainbow roll.

Rainbow rolling ? YOU ? whod have thunk it .

tommieharris91
4/17/2008, 10:27 PM
I just nuked a cup'o Ramen noodles. Should I eat them with chop sticks...or is a fork ok?

:dean: Are you some commie ching-ching nut? EAT THAT **** WITH A FORK!!!! :dean:

TexasLidig8r
4/18/2008, 12:25 PM

I don't eat nigiri for the most part. I much prefer sashimi... oh, and sweet shrimp is good too (the head is flash fried and served, the tail is served raw)... yellowtail tartare and beef or tuna tataki.

I guess that's what we urbanite, metrosexual, "funny shoe" wearing, men about town consume these days.

C&CDean
4/18/2008, 12:42 PM
I don't eat nigiri for the most part. I much prefer sashimi... oh, and sweet shrimp is good too (the head is flash fried and served, the tail is served raw)... yellowtail tartare and beef or tuna tataki.

I guess that's what we urbanite, metrosexual, "funny shoe" wearing, men about town consume these days.

So, what you're saying is "if the boyfriend's lovestick doesn't ruin my colon the nasty **** I eat certainly will." Gotcha.

Just so you know, chicks ain't impressed with you eating raw tail unless it's theirs.

TexasLidig8r
4/18/2008, 01:50 PM
So, what you're saying is "if the boyfriend's lovestick doesn't ruin my colon the nasty **** I eat certainly will." Gotcha.

Just so you know, chicks ain't impressed with you eating raw tail unless it's theirs.

Dean, dean, Dean.. you ignorant sl*t...

I don't eat Asian food to impress beyonces.. I eat it because it tastes good.. oh.. and as for the other.. I am the pitcher. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
4/18/2008, 10:06 PM
I pulled up my pants and ate sushi like a big boy. I don't see what the fuss is about, though. Plus, they didn't have Sapporo.

tommieharris91
4/18/2008, 10:09 PM
WTF kinda Japanese place doesn't have Sapporo?

royalfan5
4/18/2008, 10:17 PM
WTF kinda Japanese place doesn't have Sapporo?

The one I live by apparently.

GottaHavePride
4/18/2008, 10:45 PM
Oh, I didn't even notice the comment about mild Pace.

Mild Pace picante sauce might have had a couple of bell peppers waved in the air in whatever building they bottle the stuff.

The guy that makes Taco Bell's Fire sauce thinks he saw a jalapeno once, but he's not sure what they're for.

Cholula has a little tingle to it.

This stuff:
http://www.slowburning.com/store/media/scorned_woman.jpg

is pretty ****ing hot. A few drops on whatever I'm eating is about right unless I'm just in the mood for feats of strength. FYI: my current bottle of it is half full. I bought it six years ago. There's not a damn thing growing in it, either.

Sriracha can be downright mean if used incautiously.

Frozen Sooner
4/18/2008, 11:43 PM
I laugh at your scorned woman:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1996_25612468

soonerboomer93
4/19/2008, 12:47 AM
this is tempting to try

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1996_1604573

600k scoville they advertise

GottaHavePride
4/19/2008, 12:57 AM
I laugh at your scorned woman:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/hotsauceworld_1996_25612468

Yeah, but Dave's Insanity sauce doesn't really taste like anything but hot.

King Crimson
4/19/2008, 01:02 AM
these mexican guys i used to work with make this stuff that appeared to made of reconstituted dried red chilis, garlic cloves and just enough water in the cuisinart to give it a loose paste consistency. stuff was electric.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/19/2008, 02:47 AM
So how was the date, we know you ate Sushi. What did you have?

olevetonahill
4/19/2008, 06:02 AM
in other words , Did Ya get Lucky ?

Turd_Ferguson
4/19/2008, 06:34 AM
and....did ya use chop sticks?

royalfan5
4/19/2008, 09:29 AM
So how was the date, we know you ate Sushi. What did you have?
The date went well. I had Philadelphia rolls.

royalfan5
4/19/2008, 09:29 AM
Yes.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/19/2008, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post

Yes.

oh, she's kinky.

Cam
4/19/2008, 11:33 AM
This stuff:
http://www.slowburning.com/store/media/scorned_woman.jpg

is pretty ****ing hot. A few drops on whatever I'm eating is about right unless I'm just in the mood for feats of strength. FYI: my current bottle of it is half full. I bought it six years ago. There's not a damn thing growing in it, either.

Sriracha can be downright mean if used incautiously.

I got my first bottle of that in 92 or 93. The great thing with Scorned Woman hot sauce is that it actually has a damn good flavor to it and only takes 2-3 drops of the stuff to give it the right amount of hot. This stuff is the best IMO.

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2008, 01:31 PM
I pulled up my pants and ate sushi like a big boy. I don't see what the fuss is about, though. Plus, they didn't have Sapporo.

Next time just order a TSINGTAO, unless they don't carry TSINGTAO in which case you're screwed.

GottaHavePride
4/19/2008, 01:36 PM
And make sure to order it by smashing the little "Tsingtao" gong they have on the bar and shouting TSINGTAO! in a horrible accent. They love that.

Jimminy Crimson
4/19/2008, 02:03 PM
Tsingtao is Chinese, though.

And plus, Asahi is much better than Sapporo, IMO.

Frozen Sooner
4/19/2008, 02:37 PM
KIRIN ICHIBAN!

soonerboomer93
4/19/2008, 02:49 PM
i was gonna ask why they carried a chinese beer in a sushi bar

to be fair though, it's a decent beer

KC//CRIMSON
4/19/2008, 03:28 PM

We know it's Chinese, but most all Japanese places carry it.;)

Tulsa_Fireman
4/19/2008, 10:49 PM

Amen.

royalfan5
4/19/2008, 10:53 PM

They didn't have Asahi either.

Fraggle145
4/19/2008, 11:47 PM
KIRIN ICHIBAN!

which is now owned by budweiser...

Fraggle145
4/19/2008, 11:48 PM
They didn't have Asahi either.

Neither sapporo nor Asahi?! Thats some bullcorn. :mad:

King Crimson
4/20/2008, 12:18 AM
Asahi and Sapporo I think are brewed by Molson for North American distribution.

yermom
4/20/2008, 04:07 AM
We know it's Chinese, but most all Japanese places carry it.;)

would you rather they carry Bud? :D

Rogue
4/20/2008, 07:25 AM
KIRIN ICHIBAN!

Indeed!

For sushi, my faves are the yellowtail and mackerel. Someone said that's what makes them sick so I guess different strokes. I don't like the rolls with seaweed wrapping. Just don't dig it.

Jimminy Crimson
4/20/2008, 02:47 PM
Neither sapporo nor Asahi?! Thats some bullcorn. :mad:

That's definitely messed up.

No sushi joint worth its weight in wasabi wouldn't have both of those, if not one, at minimum.