PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Foods

4/15/2008, 09:28 PM
...on the Travel Channel.

Sorry if it has been addressed, but this dude goes overboard trying to sicken the viewers.

I must admit, he has me interested in trying other arachnids besides crab. Hell, I'd eat bugs and worms if required to do so for my own survival. After all, I like shrimp.

Still, chopping a 3-week pigs ear off, digging the wax and hair out and chowing down is a bit extreme.

http://i.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0703/pon_bizarre_foods.jpg

4/15/2008, 09:29 PM
Oh, and that isn't a pigs ear in the photo.

4/15/2008, 09:35 PM
I'll bet Chuck has tried some of these critters... hope you chime in, Sooner.

Turd_Ferguson
4/15/2008, 09:49 PM
The main dialogue of the show: Mmmmm.....not bad.

Still, it's an interesting show.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 09:55 PM
You eats what you gots.

Frozen Sooner
4/15/2008, 10:56 PM
It's interesting to see what food we love now was considered gross in the past.

For example, eating pork ribs (or beef ribs) was something that people who had a choice used to not do.

GottaHavePride
4/15/2008, 11:00 PM
Heck, I STILL won't eat beef ribs given an option. Stupid Texans and their beef ribs.

Ribs = pork ribs.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 11:01 PM
Heck, I STILL won't eat beef ribs given an option. Stupid Texans and their beef ribs.

Ribs = pork ribs.

Watch it :texan:

StoopTroup
4/15/2008, 11:32 PM
I get a little vomitous when he cuts into the geoduck in the breakroom commercial he does.

http://www.timwing.com/geoduck/geoduck3.jpg

rainiersooner
4/15/2008, 11:35 PM
I was in some apparently famous market in Barcelona once and stumbled into a refrigerated cabinet with skinned pig's heads. That was pretty nasty.

GottaHavePride
4/15/2008, 11:44 PM
Watch it :texan:

:D

proud gonzo
4/15/2008, 11:46 PM
i like that show

AlbqSooner
4/16/2008, 06:35 AM
Stopped in a gas station/grocery in Rolling Fork, Mississippi once. On the counter they had the obligatory jugs with Pickled Eggs, Sausages and Pickled Pigs Feet. They also had a jug of Pickled Pig Lips. Just sitting there in a red liquid and smiling. I did not try them.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/16/2008, 09:37 AM
At the store the other day I saw a package of about 50 chicken feets. In the meat department all wrapped up like they were, you know...meat.

What. The hell. Does one do with nastyass chicken feet?

:chicken:

And that guy in that show will eat ANYTHING. It's interesting to see him going to these open markets and seeing all the 'strange' things people eat in other countries. Lots and lots of bugs being eaten around the world. Scorpions, too. But those ginormous, plump worms like up there in that picture are grody. I'll bet they pop in your mouth like a ripe tomato.

*shudder*

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 09:52 AM
I almost always eat chicken feet and duck web during yum cha (dim sum). Chewing on the gristle and feet joints and then spitting them out is a very good way to relieve the boredom in a meal that is supposed to last about two hours.

Of course, I'd rather be working on the crossword or sodoku puzzle from the daily newspaper during the meal, but that'd be considered anti-social.

Mjcpr
4/16/2008, 09:55 AM
Anyone catch the episode where he at that spikey fruit/melon thing? I don't remember what it was called but he said it tasted like dirty feet or something. Some stores in whatever country that was, won't even let you have them because the smell is so offensive.

Sounded dee-lish.

Mjcpr
4/16/2008, 09:56 AM
Durian, that's what it was.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Durio_kutej_F_070203_ime.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/16/2008, 10:01 AM
Yep. Looks stinky.

I saw one where he was eating giant bull testicles. In an outside open market, all just laying out there in the heat and what-not.

Yeah, grab me one of those giant balls there, chief and slice 'er up. What? No ketchup? Gotny BBQ sauce?

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 10:12 AM
Some airlines and hotels ban this fruit. I don't smell it and maybe I'm just lucky. To me, it tastes like pungent cheese.

Durian is a "hot" fruit, which, I guess, means it is very rich and has a lot of calories, so you shouldn't eat too much at one go, like you wouldn't eat a whole lot of just cheese at one sitting.

The only way I can eat it is if there is just a little bit of durian with sticky rice smothered in coconut milk, or with coconut ice cream.

soonerinabilene
4/16/2008, 10:18 AM
It's interesting to see what food we love now was considered gross in the past.

For example, eating pork ribs (or beef ribs) was something that people who had a choice used to not do.

Also, lobster was a "poor" persons food in the 16-1700's. It was like the spam/ramen noodles/ mac and cheese of the pilgrims.

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2008, 11:27 AM
you wouldn't eat a whole lot of just cheese at one sitting.

These words all have meaning in English, but that particular combination of them doesn't make any sense.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/16/2008, 11:29 AM
Chewing on the gristle and feet joints and then spitting them out is a very good way to relieve the boredom in a meal that is supposed to last about two hours.

My God.

:mack:

picasso
4/16/2008, 12:09 PM
raw tuna melt? blech.

SoonerInKCMO
4/16/2008, 12:19 PM
My God.

:mack:

My advice to you: avoid authentic Chinese restaurants that serve dim sum. People spittin' out their chicken feet bones left and right. :kelvin:

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 01:09 PM
These words all have meaning in English, but that particular combination of them doesn't make any sense.

You wouldn't eat a very big slice of cheese just by itself, right? You'd eat it with crackers or bread or tortilla, right?

It's not like eating a single banana or orange or mango.

Durian is so rich and high calorie, I think of it the same way as cheese.

I'm not sure if that makes sense. But, give me credit for trying.

BigRedJed
4/16/2008, 01:32 PM
Mmmm... ...ribs...

NormanPride
4/16/2008, 01:54 PM
I thought it was the jackfruit? That's what the guys in my office say is a stinky fruit in India...

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 02:00 PM
Ohhhhh! Jackfruit is wonderous. Okay, it is also a "hot fruit" but I can like eat a half kilo at one sitting and it is great.

Frozen Sooner
4/16/2008, 02:07 PM
You wouldn't eat a very big slice of cheese just by itself, right?

Again, you're not making sense. Sure I would. Have. Am.

RacerX
4/16/2008, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure Chuck really knows what cheese is.

TUSooner
4/16/2008, 02:26 PM
i like that show

Me too. It's one of the few TV shows I watch.

NormanPride
4/16/2008, 02:28 PM

No, it's just been too long since he's been stateside. :D

And Chuck, doesn't the jackfruit have a really bad smell?

TUSooner
4/16/2008, 02:31 PM
When I was a kid in OK, the thought of eating a crawdad was so sick it made me laugh. Now, I can't hardly get enough of 'em.

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 03:02 PM
I ate crawdads growing up in Oklahoma and frog legs. And, frozen shrimp was just fish bait.

Chuck Bao
4/16/2008, 03:07 PM
No, it's just been too long since he's been stateside. :D

And Chuck, doesn't the jackfruit have a really bad smell?

I don't smell durian, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to smell with jackfruit. I love jackfruit. I love it so much.

And, if that Mike Rich guy sits around and eats cheese all day. That's supposed to be the definition of a yankee, right?

He's a cheese eating yankee.

4/16/2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Grandpa, What's fer dinner?

http://www.hemmy.net/images/bizarre/bizarrefood07.jpg

picasso
4/16/2008, 05:03 PM

mmmmmmm, frito chili brain pie.

soonerinabilene
4/16/2008, 05:14 PM

proof that sonic was right. Everything does looks good with chili on it.;)

picasso
4/16/2008, 05:15 PM
or special sauce.

AlbqSooner
4/16/2008, 07:50 PM

Of course he does. Someone told him to cut the cheese and he did.

def_lazer_fc
4/16/2008, 08:06 PM
...on the Travel Channel.

Sorry if it has been addressed, but this dude goes overboard trying to sicken the viewers.

http://i.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0703/pon_bizarre_foods.jpg

i always knew i hated that guy but now i know exactly why. plus he looks like some sort of freakish man child.

setem
11/4/2008, 10:19 PM
I love this show and No Reservations with Anthony Bordain.

There is a new show coming out with Zane Lampry from 3 Sheets fame that is called Have Fork Will Travel.

3 Sheets could be my favorite show ever. Dude gets to go around the world and take part in drinking cultures. He gets paid to get ****ed up! I LOVE IT!