PDA

View Full Version : I just saw Emeril live.

TUSooner
4/15/2008, 05:58 PM
like, really live. As I was going into the grocery store, he was coming out, with [edit: a small child] in the shopping cart. He lives down here on my side of the river, though certainly not in my neighborhood. We exchanged polite greetings, no "bam" or anything.
After we passed and he was going to his car, he dropped a canteloupe. A lady picked it up and said "Hey Emeril! You dropped this!" Then I guess she chatted with him for a bit.
Somehow, this means I am a better person than you are.

:D That is all.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 06:02 PM
I once stepped on Ed "To Tall" Jones' feet at DFW airport so cram that in your pipe and smoke it!

TheHumanAlphabet
4/15/2008, 06:12 PM
Since he is recently remarried, I would bet that is his child, not grand kid.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 06:15 PM
BAM!

Jimminy Crimson
4/15/2008, 06:23 PM
I woulda said BAM! when he dropped the canteloupe, but that's just me. And canteloupe isn't too tasty. It's the celery of fruit.

Mjcpr
4/15/2008, 06:41 PM
Did you ask him why his show got cancelled?

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 06:50 PM
I woulda said BAM! when he dropped the canteloupe, but that's just me. And canteloupe isn't too tasty. It's the celery of fruit.

Did you know that cantaloupe isn't grown in north America?

BigRedJed
4/15/2008, 07:13 PM
Last time I was in the airport in NOLA, I LITERALLY bumped into Aaron Neville. Like, neither of us were looking where we were going, and smacked into each other. I think Aaron Neville is cooler than Emeril, so I win.

Turd_Ferguson
4/15/2008, 07:18 PM
I shook Hulk's hand at the Louisville airport, so suck it.

BigRedJed
4/15/2008, 07:19 PM
Hulk Hogan or the Incredible Hulk? That could make a difference.

KC//CRIMSON
4/15/2008, 07:31 PM
Last time I was in the airport in NOLA, I LITERALLY bumped into Aaron Neville. Like, neither of us were looking where we were going, and smacked into each other. I think Aaron Neville is cooler than Emeril, so I win.

Did the exact same thing except it was in Tulsa and it was Jimmy Connors.

Thank god it wasn't McEnroe.

StoopTroup
4/15/2008, 07:42 PM
My Wife and I sat next to Marc Singer and his Wife while travelling to Hawaii.

I guess the animals were in the planes cargo. :D

http://www.sworddragon.com/passions/images/dar2.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
4/15/2008, 07:47 PM
Well - I sat next to Uhura on a flight to Chicago. Then we landed and everyone put their bluetooth device in their ear. I chuckled to myself at the juxtaposition.

def_lazer_fc
4/15/2008, 07:49 PM
i told howie mandell to move out of the way when i was in vegas so my friend in a wheelchair could use the ramp outside the mgm grand. that guy is short.

and even though i despise everything about the long beach dub allstars, my friend got punched in the face by that mexican tattoo artist thats in that band. it was pretty funny.

swardboy
4/15/2008, 08:34 PM
I shook hands with Jerry Rhome...

Turd_Ferguson
4/15/2008, 08:37 PM
Hulk Hogan or the Incredible Hulk? That could make a difference.Hogan....and that reminds me, Lou came to the gym I was working out at in Memphis. He was dressed like a dork. He was wearing G.A.S.S. shoes......in 1988. Remember the Great American Shoe Store(Kinney's)?:D

4/15/2008, 08:51 PM
I met Bert from Soap.

He also played that Crazy Custer in "Little Big Man."

Oh, and I met Roy Clark, once.

Mixer!
4/15/2008, 08:55 PM
I was in the same graduating class with Jackie Shipp.

BigRedJed
4/15/2008, 09:10 PM
I got a hug one time from June Cleaver.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 09:20 PM
I talked whorn smack to some ******-rocket at DFW once (Huh, I meet a lot of people there) then mai sister informed me that it was Mathew McConaugay and his tiny hobbit girlfriend Penelope Cruz.

Hell, I didn't know he was famous, he just looked like some unshaven hobo in UT gear. Guess a hobo in British Airways VIP lounge doesn't make sense though huh?

BigRedJed
4/15/2008, 09:27 PM
I had dinner once with Craig Chaquico. About 3 people on this board will think that is cool.

BigRedJed
4/15/2008, 09:27 PM
Well, kinda cool.

TUSooner
4/15/2008, 09:30 PM
Guess a hobo in British Airways VIP lounge doesn't make sense though huh?
Kinda like a "juxtaposition", huh?

I saw Gallagher in a Houston airport.
Me: Are you Gallagher?
G: Yeah
Me: I thought you looked like him.
G: I guess I have to.
Me: <stupid silence>

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 09:37 PM
I ran into Coach Switzer once. He was at one of those charity basketball games. I took off with my dads OU jacket and had the coach sign it for him. Seemed kind of surprised to have a kid my age asking for his Herbie Hancock.

Mixer!
4/15/2008, 09:40 PM
Kinda like a "juxtaposition", huh?

I saw Gallagher in a Houston airport.
Me: Are you Gallagher?
G: Yeah
Me: I thought you looked like him.
G: I guess I have to.
Me: <stupid silence>
Did he hit you with his mallet?

Turd_Ferguson
4/15/2008, 09:41 PM
I served Garth a beer once at the Crystal Chandelier in Midlothean. I try'd to spittle in it, but he was watch'n since I had my OU cap on.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 09:44 PM
Did he hit you with his mallet?

Hell, it was probably Gallagher Too :rolleyes:

SanJoaquinSooner
4/15/2008, 09:52 PM
I had a class with Lucious Selmon.
I played a round of golf with Vince Gill.
I was Gaylene Whitescarver's math instructor, who was named OU's best looking cheerleader by Al Eschbach.

Sooner_Havok
4/15/2008, 09:54 PM
Hey,your green. Cool.

I drank beer with Danny Carey from Tool.

boomersooner28
4/16/2008, 04:46 AM
The wife and I drank beer and chatted with Brad Penny. He started the all-star game last year. Ok, I lose. :O

Okla-homey
4/16/2008, 05:37 AM

You obviously have never eaten properly ripened fresh canateloupe or you wouldn't say such a thing.

TUSooner
4/16/2008, 09:56 AM
You obviously have never eaten properly ripened fresh canateloupe or you wouldn't say such a thing.

Word on the canteloupe, Homey. Get yourself a good ripe one and it will be awesomey.

soonerinabilene
4/16/2008, 10:10 AM

Did you know that Pecos, TX is in North America? Pecos cantaloupe is teh win.

C&CDean
4/16/2008, 10:25 AM
1. I grow cantaloupes in Lexington, by God, Oklahoma.

2. I've hob nobbed with lots of celebrities over the years. Alice Cooper, Bart Starr, Switzer, Stoops, Linda Carter, Sugar Ray Leonard, Patrick Ewing, JCWatts, Bill Clinton, Algore, BJ Thomas, and a bunch of others. No big deal.

3. I almost died from eating at that POS Emeril's restaraunt in New Orleans a few years back. I got the fish special, and by about 3 am I was puking, and by 5 am I was doing number 3 (garbage can between my knees puking while sitting on the commode retexturing the bottom of the turlet with projectile hershey squirts), and by about 10 am I was laying on the bathroom floor dry heaving. We are talking serious food poisoning here. I couldn't even keep a sip of water in or down. I damn near called 911. I was sicker than I've ever been in my life. By about 7 pm I finally could eat a cracker without instantly heaving it back up. By the next day I was OK, but was so weak I could barely walk to the convention center.

**** you Emeril you poisoner of men.

Mixer!
4/16/2008, 10:40 AM
Now THAT was posting greatness, folks.

boomersooner28
4/16/2008, 12:35 PM

2. I've hob nobbed with lots of celebrities over the years. Alice Cooper, Bart Starr, Switzer, Stoops, Linda Carter, Sugar Ray Leonard, Patrick Ewing, JCWatts, Bill Clinton, Algore, BJ Thomas, and a bunch of others. No big deal.

3. I almost died from eating at that POS Emeril's restaraunt in New Orleans a few years back. I got the fish special, and by about 3 am I was puking, and by 5 am I was doing number 3 (garbage can between my knees puking while sitting on the commode retexturing the bottom of the turlet with projectile hershey squirts), and by about 10 am I was laying on the bathroom floor dry heaving. We are talking serious food poisoning here. I couldn't even keep a sip of water in or down. I damn near called 911. I was sicker than I've ever been in my life. By about 7 pm I finally could eat a cracker without instantly heaving it back up. By the next day I was OK, but was so weak I could barely walk to the convention center.

"Post of the Year" candidate.

TUSooner
4/16/2008, 02:24 PM

I wish you'd have told me sooner. I would have deviated his testes on your behalf.

Jimminy Crimson
4/16/2008, 02:25 PM

I have, it's just that cantaloupe just isn't my thing. :confused:

StoopTroup
4/16/2008, 07:12 PM
I ran into John Goodman in the St. Louis Airport also.

He is freaking huge!

When I saw him...I felt bad for him.

He looked like a heart attack waiting to happen.

I hope he doesn't but if I hired him to do a movie...I'd be concerned.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 12:19 AM
I've ridden in elevators with Magic Johnson, The Alarm, and Terrell Owens. Not at the same time.

C&CDean
4/17/2008, 09:44 AM
Well, while we're name dropping:

In Norman:

Lunch with Barbara Bush.
Dinner with Roy Williams and whoever that beyonce is who is was/is married to.
The entire OU football team and coaches.
The entire OU basketball team and coaches.
The entire OU women's basketball team and coaches.
The entire OU softball team and coaches.
The entire OU volleyball team and coaches (even facilitated this group on the ropes course for a day).
The King multiple times.
Lynn Swann.
Bob Griese.
Chris Berman.
Stacey Dales.
Brent Musburger.
Steve Williams.
CEO of AFLAC.
Frank Keating and wife.
Brad Henry and wife.
David Boren and wife.
James Garner (cigar smoking fool had to be 86d from our property for smoking)
Billy Sims.
Spencer Tillman.
Jack Mildren.
BBB.
Many, many others.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 11:11 AM
Well hell, Dean. Everybody has met the King multiple times. And Bob Stoops and his staff, and Kelvin and his staff, and Jeff Capel and his staff, and Sherri Coale and her staff, and on and on. And pretty much everyone on here has met players throughout OU's history. There's probably not a single person on this board who hasn't met Billy Sims, or at least paid him $20 to sign something. Stacy Dales, Spencer Tillman... ...meh. We've all met them. Not that I don't like Stacy and Spencer. Bart Conner and Nadia too. Meeting them would probably be more impressive to people who live outside of the country.

And I'm guessing a huge number of us have also met people like Jack Mildren, Brad and Kim Henry (last year I got to spend some time with her and 6 other state first ladies -- I think Maine's First Lady was flirting with me), Frank and Kathy Keating (multiple times, including dinner -- plus she introduced me to Janet Huckabee, which is marginally cooler now than it was then), David Boren, and other political figures. I'll throw in people like George Nigh and Henry Bellmon, who I'm sure you have also met, like myself and half of Oklahoma. Congressional delegations over the years? Check. Steve Largent? Is he a political figure or a sports star?

I am impressed with Barbara Bush, who I think is one of the coolest people in the public eye in the past 25 years. I briefly met her husband, and had a nice but short conversation with her son at a barbecue when he was Governor of Texas, but I think I would have preferred meeting her.

James Garner would be cool, except for the having to throw him out part. Never met him. But Oklahoma celebs are not all that impressive, considering your audience. Who hasn't met Toby, for instance? I did enjoy spending about an hour all but one-on-one with Vince Gill a couple of years ago, but only because two of the three other people there were his mom (super, super sweet lady), and Amy Grant (prettier in person than on TV, and nice as all get out).

I guess one that really got me excited was Mikhail Gorbachev, although it was VERY brief and I didn't in any way get to have a conversation with him. Lou Holtz was the same way, though I didn't get NEARLY as excited.

As detailed in a thread on this board, a few years ago General Wes Clark intercepted me on the way into an awesome bluehair lunch at the Boulevard Cafeteria, and it made me grumpy. Don't get between me and the Boulevard's mac 'n' cheese for some dumb political campaign stuff. Especially if you're a democrat.

Used to be I would have been excited about Bob Griese. He was a hero of mine when I was a kid. Now I think he's a toolbag. Never met him and I'm fine with that.

Steve Williams would be cool. Never met him either. I would probably be pretty jazzed about Lynn Swann, too, I guess.

I had beers with the guys from Hinder a couple of months back. Sorry.

Got to know the guys from the Flaming Lips a bit in the past several years, even went to their Christmas party and these days do some business with them. That's only going to be cool to about 10 people on this board, most of whom have met those guys anyway.

Blake Shelton? Does that impress anyone? Probably not. Holly Hunter? She's tiny. Bryan White? He's tiny too.

I did get to meet a number of entertainment and rock types a few years ago when I was in a different business. Jerry Cantrell, the guys from the Goo Goo Dolls, Sarah McLachlan, Aerosmith.

Meeting Barry Sanders was cool. Also John Daly, Tom Watson, Ray Floyd, and Tiger (just shook Tiger's hand, no yakking, and it was actually a little awkward the way it went down). Plus Oklahoma-based golfers like Scott Verplank, Willie Wood, Gil Morgan and others.

Got to meet all of the Hornets players when they were here, and even got to hang out with a couple of them. Met a number of opposing players too. But I know the NBA is worthless to you.

I'll try to remember others, so that I can stun you with my proximate coolness, like you did us. :D

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2008, 11:44 AM

I don't know much, but I don't think he's that cool.

edit:

And that may be all I need to know.

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2008, 11:48 AM
Famous people that aren't related to OU sports that I've met:

Karl Malone-met him on the Kenai river fishing. He's got a cabin out there that he spends most of the summer at.
Trajan Langdon-he wasn't famous at the time outside of recruiting circles.
Magic Johnson-just a handshake and a "Hi"
Ernie Banks-I was actually coherent enough to say "Hey, nice day to play two today, eh?"
Larry Csonka. Dude shops at the same grocery store I do :).
Tommy Moe.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 11:52 AM
Larry Csonka. That is fricking sweet.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/17/2008, 11:55 AM
I met Jesus in a Nazarene church in Midwest City.

WIN

TUSooner
4/17/2008, 11:58 AM
Well hell, Dean...
[launches into longest name-dropping post in the history of SF.com]

I'll try to remember others, so that I can stun you with my proximate coolness, like you did us. :D

Obviously, none of it was all that big a deal for you, huh?

:D

King Crimson
4/17/2008, 11:58 AM
i had a beer with Jimmy Page. beat that.

King Crimson FTW.

4/17/2008, 12:11 PM
i told howie mandell to move out of the way when i was in vegas so my friend in a wheelchair could use the ramp outside the mgm grand. that guy is short.

and even though i despise everything about the long beach dub allstars, my friend got punched in the face by that mexican tattoo artist thats in that band. it was pretty funny.

Opie Ortiz punched a guy in a wheelchair's face?

NOT COOL!

StoopTroup
4/17/2008, 12:19 PM
As far as NFL goes....

Barry Sanders
John Elway
Joe Montana
Troy Aikman
Micheal Irvin
Emmitt Smith and his Parents
Junior Seau
Boz
Kevin Greene (Steelers)
Joe Namath
Jim Kelly
Marshall Faulk
Greg Pruitt
Tony Dorsett
Deion Sanders
Dan Marino
Hulk Hogan and his kids
Jerry Jones
Darn near every team member of the King's Dallas Super Bowl XXX bunch.
Alex Karras
Jerry Rice
Larry Czonka
Warren Sapp
Trent Dilfer
Billy Kilmer
Doug Williams
I know there are others...my mind is failing me...

EDIT

Ron Mix - HOF Chargers
Steve Young
Lynn Swan
Bradshaw
John Madden
Fran Tarkenton
Don Shula
Randy White
Roger Staubach
Thurman Thomas

Yep...we were autograph whores...:D

4/17/2008, 12:23 PM
Bush ’41 and Bar
Lyle Lovett
Dat Nguyen
Coach Fran :D
Red Cashion (FIRST DOWWWWN)
Lots of NFL guys
Lots of NCAA guys
4 Miss Americas
Night Ranger
Edger Winter

OH! And Orville Redenbacher. He was a cool old dude.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 12:57 PM
i had a beer with Jimmy Page. beat that.

King Crimson FTW.
Holy cow. King Crimson FTW is right.

I had one with Bo Diddley, between sets of a show at VZD's. Not nearly as cool, though.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 12:57 PM
Obviously, none of it was all that big a deal for you, huh?

Heh.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 12:59 PM
Just pointing out that just about everyone on this board has probably met most of Dean's list. I'm doing my best to keep him in check. It ain't easy.

TUSooner
4/17/2008, 01:15 PM
Just pointing out that just about everyone on this board has probably met most of Dean's list. I'm doing my best to keep him in check. It ain't easy.

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2008, 01:22 PM
I met one of Herschel Walker's personalities at DFW once.

Then met another.

And another.

And...

C&CDean
4/17/2008, 01:33 PM

Dude, where you're all jacked up here is I didn't stand in line to get something autographed, or I didn't follow them around into an elevator, or I didn't see them across the airport tarmac. I actually sat down, ate dinner or lunch with them, had meaningful conversation with them, and do have many mementos in my office and home from those experiences. Not too many pictures with them (that's gauche - look at me Froze!), but some personal type stuff. A mini football with "thanks for all you do Dean" from TRRW. Pictures of Stoops and Switzer with "To Dean, thanks for your dedication and hard work." That kinda stuff.

If we're talking celebrities who I merely sniffed, like you, then this website ain't got enough bandwidth.

Jimminy Crimson
4/17/2008, 01:38 PM
Presidents Ford-McCain

TUSooner
4/17/2008, 01:41 PM
Y'all are taking this greatness-by-osmosis deal a little too far, methinks. All I said was I saw Emeril at the ****ing grocery store. I didn't REALLY mean it made me better than anybody. Heck, I haven't even watched his shows for years.
;)

:twinkies:

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 01:53 PM
Heh. Dean thinks I have asked for autographs. Other than getting my kickass Miami-Dade 2000 national championship highway lightpole banner signed by the OU team (which took a bunch of work), I haven't asked for an autograph since I was 8, more than likely.

And most of those people I mentioned were met through business, and believe me, I didn't get "sniffy" with any of them. Except for Barbara Billingsley, I've never gotten starstruck. For whatever reason, I got all goofy over meeting her. Must be some mom issues there.

I was just funnin' around mentioning "bumping into" people like Aaron Neville, 'cause that was the nature of this thread (onesies and twosies of random people) until you went all name droppy. I just wanted to demonstrate that lots of us here have met lots of people, for whatever reason, and that you weren't the only one. 'Cause your post sortof read that way. :D

You're damn hard to keep in your place.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 01:56 PM
And getting that banner signed was one of the most awkward things ever. People who are regular autograph hounds are weird. My banner sort of demanded to be signed due to its uniqueness (it even hang over the crystal football in an OU national championship exhibit at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History for a few months, part of an OU championship display).

But going up to celebrities you don't know and even introducing yourself is pretty gauche (there, I said it). Asking them for autographs? TACKY.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 02:09 PM
I pretty much HAD to get this signed.

http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/banner.jpg

Mjcpr
4/17/2008, 02:09 PM
Which one of you has the longest wang?

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 02:12 PM
Ask Dean's wife.

Mjcpr
4/17/2008, 02:15 PM
Ask Dean's wife.

JohnnyMack, which one has the longest wang?

C&CDean
4/17/2008, 02:42 PM
Presidents Ford-McCain

Heh. I stayed in the Hilton Towers in Chicago when Bill Clinton was running for prez back in 93/94. Him and Hillary stayed in the suite right next door to mine in the tower. I got jacked up by Secret Service on the elevator. They thought they had cleared all the guests off that floor. Anyhow, I met Bill, Hillary, Algore, the pretty daughters and the hellspawn of Hillary, and a couple local donks from Chicago. There were a ****pot of abortion protesters in the lobby and outside the hotel. Bill was, and still is a sleazy mother****er.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 02:47 PM
NO PLAY ON THE ASK DEAN'S WIFE COMMENT??!!?

C&CDean
4/17/2008, 02:50 PM
Nah, everybody knows she likes men.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 02:51 PM
GATDANGIT!!!

TUSooner
4/17/2008, 02:56 PM
You know, it wasn't really Emeril after all. Let's just forget I mentioned it. OK?

C&CDean
4/17/2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I don't know anybody either. Let's drop the whole thing.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 03:24 PM
I REALLY DID MEET BARBARA BILLINGSLY!!!

soonerboomer93
4/17/2008, 03:48 PM
I REALLY HAVE MOM ISSUES!!!

:pop:

Turd_Ferguson
4/17/2008, 04:06 PM
I seen John Denver at PDX a couple of weeks ago. Video'd him on my phone, but can't figger out how to post it:mad:

Mixer!
4/17/2008, 04:19 PM
Now THAT'S a video (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver) we'd all like to see, TF. :pop:

Turd_Ferguson
4/17/2008, 04:28 PM
Now THAT'S a video (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Denver) we'd all like to see, TF. :pop:You tell me how to post a 3gp to here, and you will.:O

Mjcpr
4/17/2008, 04:37 PM
He means because John Denver died several years ago.

Chuck Bao
4/17/2008, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah?

I've met tons of famous people, but probably none that any of you have ever heard of.

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2008, 05:04 PM
But I'll bet they're HUGE in Asia.

BigRedJed
4/17/2008, 05:17 PM
So are the Flaming Lips. And Barbara Billingsley.

NormanPride
4/17/2008, 05:26 PM
Who?

Chuck Bao
4/17/2008, 05:26 PM
But I'll bet they're HUGE in Asia.

No, actually Asian people aren't that big, except for the Sumo wrestlers and I don't know any of them.

Frozen Sooner
4/17/2008, 05:41 PM
Yao Ming is pretty big.

ric311
4/17/2008, 06:56 PM

Incorrect. It's grown in Rocky Ford, Colorado. Rocky Ford Melons are great.

Oh, and I once bumped into John Elway. So nyeaaahh!

SoonerBorn68
4/17/2008, 07:11 PM
I've met Dean!

Turd_Ferguson
4/17/2008, 07:21 PM
He means because John Denver died several years ago.Oh contrair Monfrair.....He may have been decapitated in his X-plane, but he lives at PDX......I swear.:D

Curly Bill
4/17/2008, 08:59 PM
Convenience store in Dallas a few years back, pulled up at the gas pumps, driver goes in to pay, me and another buddy set in the truck, we see a large African-American gentleman come out and I make the remark that I could take him. Driver comes back out and says: you guys see Larry Allen? This would be the Larry Allen of Dallas Cowboys fame and the owner of a 700lb. bench press. Hell, he didn't look that impressive to me. Course had I recognized him I might have looked closer. :O

StoopTroup
4/17/2008, 09:34 PM
There's no way I'm gonna go through all those players and tell you which ones I sniffed and which ones I had an actual conversation with.

We did attend the NFL Commissioner's Party in Tampa one year.

That was pretty cool.

I still have the invitation.

My buddy had a players Super Bowl Ring (one of the old Cowboys who sold it and his Wife's pendant due to hard times - Pretty sad really). My Bud was wearing it as we went in and the guy at the door says "I think they got your invitation mixed up, your in the Commissioner's Area :D ". That's the night we met Tom Landry and many others. Glad he didn't ask us who we were as it was a Cowboy Ring. :D