PDA

View Full Version : Now this is interesting , A city doing this ?

olevetonahill
4/14/2008, 11:00 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080413-red-light-camera-monkey-business-may-be-a-national-trend.html
I think they've Built a Better Mouse trap , Er Speed trap :mad:

Soonerus
4/14/2008, 11:04 PM
unbelievable...

Pricetag
4/14/2008, 11:08 PM
It's not right for them to be short-timing the yellow lights, but it seems to me that there is an underlying resentment that red light cameras exist even if the yellow lights are set to standard.

Running red lights and rushing through yellows is one of the most stupid, dangerous, and utterly avoidable things in driving. There is no righteous case of red *** to be had by a driver who is busted by a camera instead of a police officer.

GottaHavePride
4/14/2008, 11:10 PM
3.9 seconds? I've seen some non-camera intersections with WAY shorter yellows than that. I never have a stopwatch with me but I could swear i've seen a few 0.75 second yellow lights.

GreeeeeeeeeenYELLOWRED!!!!!!

crawfish
4/15/2008, 07:43 AM
Dallas is pulling their red-light cameras. Because they work too well. Seriously. They are lowering the number of people running red lights and lowering the number of accidents, but sadly they're also lowering the number of tickets and it's hurting the city's bottom line.

Good to know the gub'ment is watching out for us. :rolleyes:

Widescreen
4/15/2008, 10:28 AM
Yellowned.

Yeah, there was an article a month or so ago in the DMN (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-redlights_15met.ART.North.Edition1.468120d.html) indicating that the Dallas area was rethinking because the ticket revenue wasn't even coming close to the amount of money required to maintain the system at each intersection. The tickets are $75 and it costs $3,799/month per camera. :eek:

StoopTroup
4/15/2008, 03:12 PM
Heh....

Big Brother is tired of watching.

We got boring.

yermom
4/15/2008, 03:18 PM
Dallas is pulling their red-light cameras. Because they work too well. Seriously. They are lowering the number of people running red lights and lowering the number of accidents, but sadly they're also lowering the number of tickets and it's hurting the city's bottom line.

Good to know the gub'ment is watching out for us. :rolleyes:

this is why unmarked police cars **** me off.

i'd rather see an empty cop car on the side of the highway.

cops shouldn't be there to collect revenue, they should be protecting people.

OUDoc
4/15/2008, 03:46 PM
cops shouldn't be there to collect revenue, they should be protecting people.

From those kids in their 300hp imports.

:)

yermom
4/15/2008, 03:53 PM
:O

actually, i don't really run afoul of the cops too much. i've only gotten 3 tickets in my car in like 5 years, only one in OK.

the one in NM was just me being stupid, the other two were lame. a "construction zone" on 169 at like 10 o'clock on a Sunday in Talala, OK and the other was after dark on I-35 in Gainesville and i forgot about the night speed limit