PDA

View Full Version : old comics online

soonermix
4/14/2008, 03:24 PM
i just got into reading some manga like naruto and bleach. i have found a few sites that have them posted online so i can read them there.
are there any sites that might have old copies of spiderman or batman. i thought it might be cool to be able to read them from the beginning.

reevie
4/14/2008, 05:33 PM
Marvel has published a complete collection of Amazing Spider-Man (up to a point that is) on DVD. It includes the orignial Amazing Fantasy Issue then Amazing Spider-Man 1 through the June 2006 issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Complete-Comic-Collection/dp/B000HKIM7Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1208211941&sr=8-1

Marvel has also released a couple other series in this format.

DC hasn't done anything like this that I'm aware of. The best thing to do with Batman may be to go after a variety of Trade Paperbacks.

reevie
4/14/2008, 08:27 PM
Here are few Batman Trade Paperbacks that I'd suggest (in no particular order):

Year One
Secrets of the Bat Cave
The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs
The Long Halloween
Strange Apparitions

BudSooner
4/14/2008, 09:18 PM
Year One<--damn good one, very good.
Secrets of the Bat Cave<--have not read.
The Killing Joke<---good, not great.
The Man Who Laughs<--again, not read but i'm looking for a copy.
The Long Halloween<----In my opinion, second only to Year One.
Strange Apparations<--not familiar with it, is it any good?

reevie
4/14/2008, 09:40 PM
Secrets of the Bat Cave is a collection of stories primarily aimed at things in the cave. The stories are from the 40s on up to the 80s. If you were curious where the giant coin, T-Rex and stuff came from, those stories are in this collection.

Killing Joke, may not be great but it is iconic and influential.

The Man Who Laughs was recently released in hardcover. A re-telling of the first meeting between Batman and Joker.

Now you've made me want to go read Strange Apparitions. Very good late-70s story. I think it includes the Laughing Fish story.

soonermix
4/15/2008, 09:16 AM
thanks to you all

NormanPride
4/15/2008, 09:24 AM
Kind of in the same light, check out Eyeshield 21 if you're into the japanese stuff. I mean, how often do you find a good comic about football? :D