PDA

View Full Version : Leinart or Rawls?

soonerfan28
4/13/2008, 10:13 PM
Here is a link I ran across today and thought I would share it with the rest of you. It is a look back at what we signed and it is ironic that we were looking at Leinart, but offered Rawls. I guess hindsight's 20/20, but those two went in completely different directions. Just wanted to know what everybody else thought.

http://www.atlantasooner.com/1999/overview.html

goingoneight
4/13/2008, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately, too often a Sam Bradford/Josh Heupel/ (in this case) Matt Leinart gets passed up for some guy just solely based on what he did in high school, not evaluated on his skills and what he can do for your program. Some cases, you look at kid A who plays for a badazz powerhouse HS team and yes, he puts up numbers that make you think "I wonder what he'll do at the next level." Then you have a guy who is a good build, skilled in many sports, great hand-eye coordination and leadership, but he plays on a bad team. That's the difference between a Bomar and a Bradford as far as recruiting goes. One of the many reasons I think a lot of Oklahoma players don't get enough looks from the locals is because people put way too much stock in high school stats or "where" he played HS ball. Lewis Baker versus Curtis Lofton comes to mind as well. I appreciate that the coachign staff recruits guys on their own scale and doesn't always just try and sign as many ESPN top 100-types and prima donnas as possible. Then again, there is a reason why guys like Adrian Peterson are in those high ranks coming out of HS. You can't always get all bent if you don't land Ryan Perriloux or Stephen Garcia and you had to "settle" for someone else. Believe me... if they suck, we're not going after them at OU.

Ash
4/13/2008, 10:53 PM
Bob Stoops has commented on this before. OU recruited Leinhart, he chose USucc. End of story.

LSUdeek
4/13/2008, 10:54 PM
Let's see, Matt Jones, Brodie Croyle, Matt Leinart...

Hey, it isn't the first time that a college team picked an Evangel crybaby over a NFL prospect at the quarterback position. :( EDIT: At least he's tearing it up in the UIFL:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:Q0JxbL3E1BgJ:www.scbandits.com/news_detail.cfm%3Fid%3D275+Brent+Rawls&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

SoonerDood
4/13/2008, 10:58 PM
we lost a kid from Los Angeles to USC?! Fire Bob Stoops!:rolleyes:

soonerfan28
4/14/2008, 08:05 AM
I don't think anybody was calling for his job. I was just wanting to know what everybody thought. Every team is going to recruit somebody they don't know is an idiot. I understand we had no reason to think Rawls was going to be such a dumbass.

yermom
4/14/2008, 08:06 AM
that link is nuts. i didn't know Shaw verballed to us

it's crazy how most of those players turned out

colleyvillesooner
4/14/2008, 08:54 AM
There's only one...Bubba Moses.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2008, 09:17 AM
that link is nuts. i didn't know Shaw verballed to us

it's crazy how most of those players turned out

If I m not mistaken, Shaw was a partial qualifier and OU had already gave the PQ pass to Bubba Moses so Shaw ended up the PQ at the other school.

Matt Jones, btw, was not a NFL prospect at QB. He was a prospect at the WR position pretty much all along. And OU recruited him to play WR but he wanted to play QB.

The Consumate Showman
4/14/2008, 01:07 PM
Leinart has said that if OU would have offered him that his decision might have been MUCH different.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/14/2008, 01:16 PM
Bob Stoops has commented on this before. OU recruited Leinhart, he chose USucc. End of story.I have seen Leinart interviewed, and he said he chose suc over OU.

mizzOUstu702
4/14/2008, 01:26 PM
I don't think anyone should recruit a QB out of Evangel...Berlin sucked with the (Co)'Canes too.

TUSooner
4/14/2008, 01:43 PM
I don't understand the debate.
Even when Lou was alive, his arm could never measure up to his voice.
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5667/lourawlsui2.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/14/2008, 07:19 PM
I don't understand the debate.
Even when Lou was alive, his arm could never measure up to his voice.
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5667/lourawlsui2.jpgMMmmmm, Spam!