PDA

View Full Version : New Video board and Sound?

SeattleOUstudent
4/13/2008, 10:01 AM
Any of you guys going to the spring game see the new upgrades or have they not started that stuff yet? kthanks

OUTrumpet
4/13/2008, 10:19 AM
Was the same ole' board yesterday.

oupride
4/13/2008, 10:55 AM
thanks for the update Trumpet!

Kels
4/13/2008, 11:49 AM
We were in the chairbacks on the Pressbox side. Seemed like new sound to us.

All_Day_28
4/13/2008, 11:56 AM
we set on the west side of the stadium and when they were announcing all of the alum no one could here a word of it on the west side..

SeattleOUstudent
4/23/2008, 03:52 PM
I know at some point they were supposed to make pretty much the whole end zone score board a video board (much like UT and A&M but not as big). Just wasnt sure when all that was supposed to happen.

badger
4/23/2008, 03:56 PM
If they do put it in, they should follow the "state flag" way of thinking:

MUST BE BIGGER THAN TEXAS. MUST BE BIGGER THAN TEXAS.

Of course then, it might be filled with MORE ADS THAN TEXAS'. MORE ADS THAN TEXAS'. :mad:

soonerfan28
4/23/2008, 04:02 PM
Yea, how small is Mack's p****.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0826/ncf_a_godzillatron_275.jpg

OUTrumpet
4/23/2008, 04:59 PM
Have you seen Godzilla-tron turned on though? They pimped that thing like crazy and I think the actual replay size and video action is smaller than ours. It's almost entirely advertisements.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNsFyCRW55I&feature=related

SeattleOUstudent
4/23/2008, 08:16 PM
Have you seen Godzilla-tron turned on though? They pimped that thing like crazy and I think the actual replay size and video action is smaller than ours. It's almost entirely advertisements.

Totally not impressed with that intro video. Very Neb-bish

OUbones
4/23/2008, 09:07 PM
I thought SeattleOU was just being the typical sooner bashing on their intro video, but after watching it myself it's pretty lame. Sorry I doubted you.

poke4christ
4/23/2008, 09:47 PM

Yeah, when I went there a couple of years ago that was one of the main things I was excited about. I was disappointed about all the adds. Still though, it looked amazing. As for the rest of the stadium though, I was very unimpressed. It took up like 30 minutes just to get into the bowl after going through the gates. The BRs were horrible and crowded. Walking around the stadium itself reminded me of the white arena at the OKC fair grounds. It was big, but it really needed a good remodeling. Norman was a much better visiting experience.

How big is the new screen supposed to be?

goingoneight
4/23/2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, when I went there a couple of years ago that was one of the main things I was excited about. I was disappointed about all the adds. Still though, it looked amazing. As for the rest of the stadium though, I was very unimpressed. It took up like 30 minutes just to get into the bowl after going through the gates. The BRs were horrible and crowded. Walking around the stadium itself reminded me of the white arena at the OKC fair grounds. It was big, but it really needed a good remodeling. Norman was a much better visiting experience.

How big is the new screen supposed to be?

... so... yer sayin' Texas is teh succ? :confused:

badger
4/23/2008, 10:13 PM
I thought SeattleOU was just being the typical sooner bashing on their intro video, but after watching it myself it's pretty lame. Sorry I doubted you.

Yeah, you can't get much more cheesy than real whorns turning into whorn heads with football player bodies :D

Jimminy Crimson
4/23/2008, 10:50 PM
Totally not impressed with that intro video. Very Neb-bish

It looks a LOT like the Chicago Bulls intro.

SeattleOUstudent
4/23/2008, 10:53 PM
ezzackly. See Nebraska :)

It looks a LOT like the Chicago Bulls intro.

GottaHavePride
4/23/2008, 11:35 PM
Actually with the tower, and then the statues zapping people, I was sitting there thinking "So where the **** is Zuul? No one think of ANYTHING. Especially not a Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man."

4/24/2008, 01:09 AM
I'm waiting for our Heisman Park to come to life and Tommie Harris some lightning and helmets toward the opposition.

poke4christ
4/24/2008, 06:58 AM
... so... yer sayin' Texas is teh succ? :confused:

well, their stadium does.

...I mean SILENCE!... I kill you!

Boomer.....
4/24/2008, 07:17 AM
Texas is definitely teh succ!

:texan:

swardboy
4/24/2008, 12:26 PM
Of a truth, saxet is teh succ...

SoonerRecon
4/25/2008, 12:36 PM
Actually with the tower, and then the statues zapping people, I was sitting there thinking "So where the **** is Zuul? No one think of ANYTHING. Especially not a Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man."

Ray, what did you do?

It just popped in there.

What, what just popped in there?

Sooner74
4/30/2008, 12:28 AM
I believe they are replacing the sound in 2008 and the new scoreboard will be in, in 2009. Their is some article floating around about it. Btw if anyone has been near campus lately their is a ton of buildings going up.

Sooner_09
4/30/2008, 01:06 AM
Yes three new buildings I can think of off the top of my head

poke4christ
4/30/2008, 06:35 PM
What are the new buildings?

Sooner_09
4/30/2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know the exact names but I know where they are: One is just north of Gaylord Hall on the south oval, the second is east of Price Hall, and the other is across the street from Sarkeys.

sooner59
5/1/2008, 12:23 AM
They are adding on to Gaylord Hall, the one east of Price Hall is a new academic advising building, the one by sarkeys is a new energy/engineering building partly donated by some oil company. They are also building another building across from LNC at the Stephenson Research Center.

soonerguild
5/1/2008, 09:12 AM
their actually building two engineering buildings across from sarkeys, one is just farther along.

poke4christ
5/1/2008, 11:14 AM
wow, great to hear our states universities are conitinuing to get better. OSU is having a similar constructions fest going on (new parking garage, new classroom building, new science building, new architecture building). Both OSU and OU are ranked as some of the top education deals in the nation. Glad we're sitting still working to improve.

Sooner_09
5/1/2008, 11:46 AM
and might I add yall are also booting people from their homes to improve athletic facilities

StoopTroup
5/1/2008, 01:49 PM
How hard is it to relocate a few trailers?

StoopTroup
5/1/2008, 01:52 PM

BTW....

They spelled HerrGas wrong. :D

poke4christ
5/1/2008, 05:35 PM
and might I add yall are also booting people from their homes to improve athletic facilities

I don't post to fight, no need to try to pick one.

sooner59
5/1/2008, 09:53 PM
The next building OU needs is a new architecture building. Ours is a disgrace.

poke4christ
5/1/2008, 11:39 PM
The next building OU needs is a new architecture building. Ours is a disgrace.

Do you have a master plan of some sort? It may already be in the works.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/1/2008, 11:52 PM
Do you have a master plan of some sort? It may already be in the works.

It is, don't worry.

sooner59
5/2/2008, 02:13 AM
No, i'm not an architecture major, but I can say that I have friends who are and they hate that building. If they are redoing that building it will be a big step for that program. I like the way our campus is heading.

soonerguild
5/2/2008, 03:21 AM
the architecture building is a joke. really we need to upgrade it. and not that I like defending pokes but boren just bout a bunch of house southeast of the stadium that are going to become a parking lot because of the new swimming center, so they do it for sports, we do it for parking, same difference. Campus has to grow.

OU-HSV
5/6/2008, 08:31 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050608aaa.html

badger
5/6/2008, 10:38 PM
This thread is no longer worthless ;)
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4422/videoboardll7.png
So, is this the new board coming in, or the old board moving out shown here? If it's the new board, I guess we aren't going to rival them whorns like we do with our pregame state flags, lol :D

SeattleOUstudent
5/6/2008, 11:30 PM
Oh this is going to be good!

poke4christ
5/6/2008, 11:31 PM
Hopefully this new Boomatron won't be 60% adds like our friends down south. Anyone got any idea exactly how big it's gonna be?

SeattleOUstudent
5/6/2008, 11:38 PM
someone should maybe take parts of the old board and re-sell it as a memorable keepsake! They could make a killing!

(newb bait):pop:

SeattleOUstudent
5/6/2008, 11:40 PM
Hopefully this new Boomatron won't be be 60% adds like our friends down south. Anyone got any idea exactly how big it's gonna be?

Uh, not so fast there, my friend! I recall there being several Farm Bureau commercials on the OSU board back when I went to a few games in the 90s. They were frequent, loud, and obnoxious.

poke4christ
5/7/2008, 11:02 AM
Uh, not so fast there, my friend! I recall there being several Farm Bureau commercials on the OSU board back when I went to a few games in the 90s. They were frequent, loud, and obnoxious.

I'm not talking about commercials, I'm talking about the fact that UT uses screen realestate for ads rather than having billboard around it like other screens. Basically, it makes the size of the screen moot for the majority of the game.

BTW, when I said "friends down south" I was refering to Texas.

badger
5/7/2008, 11:21 AM
I'm not talking about commercials, I'm talking about the fact that UT uses screen realestate for ads rather than having billboard around it like other screens. Basically, it makes the size of the screen moot for the majority of the game.

BTW, when I said "friends down south" I was refering to Texas.

It's true. However, Japan has since created an even bigger HD screen so it's not like Godzillatron is even Godzilltron anymore... and its new nickname "Adzilltron" fits better anyway - what poke4 said :D

This is interesting, because I though OU replaced the screen not too long ago and used the old pieces of the former screen for the graphics around the stadium between the upper and lower decks on the sidelines. If we were to ever bowl the stadium more with a complete upper deck and no spaces around the bowl, it would be cool to have a complete strip go all the way around a la OKC Ford Center.

In any event, I was glad when they put a new scoreboard/screen up on the north side, and I'm sure that HD will be nice and all, but I'm not at the game to watch football on a screen :D

I hope their next stadium upgrade involves more and cheaper seating, because ticket prices are getting pricey, just like education prices at OU. If there truly is a college arms race, the one we can win is in football :)

Fraggle145
5/7/2008, 12:42 PM
I typically can find tickets outside the game for about $25 each... and usually the seats arent bad.

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2008, 01:12 PM
Hopefully this new Boomatron won't be 60% adds like our friends down south. Anyone got any idea exactly how big it's gonna be?

I've read that it's 32 x 113 feet

SeattleOUstudent
5/30/2008, 11:37 PM
I must admit...the auction for all this is looking pretty tempting. For probably $1000 you could own the rushing yards portion. Of course, the OWEN FIELD screens would be cooler.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/2/2008, 03:26 PM
someone should maybe take parts of the old board and re-sell it as a memorable keepsake! They could make a killing!

(newb bait):pop:Can you have sex on it?

SeattleOUstudent
6/23/2008, 12:37 AM
Any of you Norman yahoos able to swing over for some pics of this bad boy?

yukonsooner
6/23/2008, 11:38 AM
OU did auction off parts of the old score board. I haven't been on the OU athletic site in the las couple of weeks they may have some more of the items up. When I was on they were auctioning off the rushing and passing yard lights.

SeattleOUstudent
7/6/2008, 05:41 PM
Updated... looks like its going to be such a nice improvement to video AND especially sound!

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061908aaa.html

goingoneight
7/6/2008, 06:07 PM
OU did auction off parts of the old score board. I haven't been on the OU athletic site in the las couple of weeks they may have some more of the items up. When I was on they were auctioning off the rushing and passing yard lights.

Well, yeah... they have to. I mean, Sam and DeMarco can't get into quadruple digits until we update those. :D

poke4christ
7/7/2008, 10:29 AM
Congrats guys, it looks awesome. I might try to go to a sooner game just to see this. Especially if I could snag a ticket for 25 bucks like fraggle suggests.

SeattleOUstudent
7/13/2008, 11:21 PM
Very excited to see this thing up and running!
Not too crazy about how ghetto the speakers look all up on the corners. I assume they will fill in what is between them. Then again, maybe not.

tru2ou
7/14/2008, 08:37 AM
I agree, I don't like how the speakers look like an afterthought. It looks like they just set them up there on top since there isnt another place for them to go right now. Very cheap looking... I hope they fill in the space between them or decide to build an extra area on each end to house them. It just doesnt look "finished" to me.

- Tru

colleyvillesooner
7/14/2008, 10:50 AM
From a poster on Insider a while back:

Okay, folks, to end all speculation, I wrote Kenny Mossman regarding the speakers and here's what he just sent back to me:

Quote:

As for the speakers, no, they will not sit up there alone. We have a well
designed fixture that will sit atop the entire length of the board to give it a
great look. We're waiting on the final artist's renderings so we can post them
to our web site. It is a look in keeping with the traditional nature of the
stadium and is very classy.
This thing is gonna ROCK!

Three cheers for Kenny for answering my email...

SeattleOUstudent
7/14/2008, 02:31 PM
kay, now I'm not scared anymore. Carry on

7/14/2008, 02:46 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/owen.jpg

That is a substantial improvement.

Mr. Nuke
7/14/2008, 04:54 PM
Ours is basically the same size as your new screen. This is the typical game setup to give you guys an idea of what you might expect.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/84/239858793_467ad63c01_o.jpg

SeattleOUstudent
7/14/2008, 07:01 PM
...sans the bitchy fans. Gotcha. :)

sooner59
7/14/2008, 11:03 PM
Ill take that. That video screen is still way bigger than what we are used to. As long as ours is more like Husker's and not the Whorns with half of theirs attributed to advertisements. I will be very happy with our new set up.

Jimminy Crimson
7/15/2008, 04:04 AM
Future construction on the top of the HD board will visually integrate the speaker systems. Once completed, the overall south end zone structure will be consistent with the established architecture of the stadium.

By future, they mean before the 2008 opener...

setem
7/17/2008, 02:47 PM
I think its going to look pretty good! I'm excited about it!

http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/4/7/17/f_Scoreboardm_aa7c6bc.jpg

S008NER
7/17/2008, 03:01 PM
The department has the flexibility of going full-screen with video when desired.

:texan: Nice

NormanPride
7/17/2008, 03:04 PM
That is pimp. I also love how we're winning, and Mizzou lost to Iowa State. :D

BrockLanders
7/17/2008, 03:15 PM
What do we have in the playbook for 3rd and 90 from the 44?

sooner59
7/17/2008, 05:23 PM
As long as we are up 88 - 33 just after halftime, I don't care what play they call.

Lott's Bandana
7/17/2008, 05:50 PM
Took these about an hour ago:

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1216334917.jpg

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1216334959.jpg

7/17/2008, 07:07 PM
I think it is a great positive for the gameday experience, but those speakers SCREAM Deep Purple to me.

Maybe they'll put a cinderblock and plywood bookcase in there to even it out.

poke4christ
7/17/2008, 09:01 PM
Holy shiznat. That's awesome! You have my congrats.

The_Red_Patriot
7/18/2008, 09:16 AM
So are we doing away with Owen Field now?

Gay

setem
7/18/2008, 11:50 AM
I think it is a great positive for the gameday experience, but those speakers SCREAM Deep Purple to me.

Maybe they'll put a cinderblock and plywood bookcase in there to even it out.

You did see the mock ups soonersports released right? It is going to be classy!

badger
7/18/2008, 12:06 PM
So are we doing away with Owen Field now?

Gay

Problem Solved:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2192/scoreboardhe3.jpg

Seriously, they should SO do that. That's the only blank spaces on that area!

Pricetag
7/18/2008, 01:04 PM
I'm waiting for a call back from John Blake on that one.

Piware
7/19/2008, 02:05 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/owen.jpg

That is a substantial improvement.

Yikes! The one on the east end is going to be aimed right at my head. I may go deaf but all the better to hear TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!

SeattleOUstudent
7/19/2008, 07:33 AM
Yikes! The one on the east end is going to be aimed right at my head. I may go deaf but all the better to hear TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!

Its only pointed right at your head if you are in the North Endzone. They point straight ahead. From what I understand, they shouldnt be blasting anyone's heads offeither. Thats the problem they were trying to correct.

HD intro-video anyone???

E-Town
7/19/2008, 09:59 AM
fixed?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll122/e-town_/ouscoreboard.jpg

:D

colleyvillesooner
7/19/2008, 10:40 AM

Prolly a give up a screen pass.
;)

soonerspudman
7/19/2008, 01:42 PM
Ill take that. That video screen is still way bigger than what we are used to. As long as ours is more like Husker's and not the Whorns with half of theirs attributed to advertisements. I will be very happy with our new set up.

Don't kid yourself, it's all about advertising revenue. Expect less game experience, more multimedia promotion blasted at you...

janderson255
7/30/2008, 04:57 PM
Last night about 10pm, I was on my way back from OKC heading south to Norman on I35 when all of a sudden there was a BRIGHT white light coming from the southern horizon. I had just passed Hey Days (putt-putt) and I could see a bright glow in the distance. It was way brighter than just the stadium lights. I was in awe. They must have been cycling through the colors because the glow was changing from white to red to blue to green. I was sooo fired up! It was definitely the new scoreboard! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

setem
7/30/2008, 05:12 PM
Can you have seks on it?

setem
7/31/2008, 11:57 AM
I drove by the stadium while I was in Nompton and they had the board up and running and...it... looked amazing! They have a big picture of same in all of his 32 foot high glory!

I wish I had a camera or I would have some shots for yas.

Pricetag
7/31/2008, 12:27 PM
Here's the latest mock up:

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/networks/media2007/idiocracy-tv2.jpg

looch
7/31/2008, 12:53 PM
On my way back to my office, got distracted by them testing out the new setup. Prepare to be amazed:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2719600667_e077245e38.jpg?v=0

(If someone can show me how to get the image working, that would be appreciated.)

setem
7/31/2008, 12:55 PM
On my way back to my office, got distracted by them testing out the new setup. Prepare to be amazed:
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/3/7/31/f_2719600667em_f64a7d0.jpg

(If someone can show me how to get the image working, that would be appreciated.)

yeah!

SeattleOUstudent
7/31/2008, 05:23 PM
someone....anyone....walk into the stadium and youtube this masterpiece for us! :)

SeattleOUstudent
8/13/2008, 09:31 AM
Starting to look pretty good.

rondog79
8/13/2008, 02:52 PM
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOMER FREAKIN SOOONER:)

setem
8/14/2008, 01:12 PM
Board is pretty much doneskies!

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/8/14/f_26302857285m_72db835.jpg

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/8/14/f_sb1m_dd46b0e.jpg
http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/8/14/f_sb2m_0261e99.jpg
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/3/8/14/f_sb3m_e045c7d.jpg
http://img27.picoodle.com/img/img27/3/8/14/f_sb4m_848ce1a.jpg