PDA

View Full Version : Why the ER sucks

jthomasou78
4/12/2008, 08:17 PM
About 5pm on Wednesday night I started to experience some pretty heavy abdominal pain. I thought it was gas but it got worse. My wife made me go to the walk in clinic that was open til 7 about a mile from the house. The doc there pushed on my stomach saw my reaction and said to head to the ER right away. He would call and let them know I was coming.

So we drive the 15 minutes to the ER. By the time we got to the ER I wasin excruciating pain I was literally doubled over when we checked in. We waited for 2 hours to se a triage nurse. It was rediculous. Upon seeing the triage nurse I began throwing up bile. My gall bladder was literally bursting as I sat waiting in the ER.

My care from that point on was amazing. I am without some of my innards, and in immense pain but i am home. Every doctor, nurse, tech, and porter in the hospital were kind, caring, and fast.

But it no longer surprises me that horrible things happen while people wait in the ER. There are too many people that use the ER as their only means of health care.

soonerbrat
4/12/2008, 08:32 PM
you should've gone to Edmond Medical Center. My best friend took her daughter in at midnight....turned out she had appendicitis...she had an appendectomy and they were home by 6am.

olevetonahill
4/12/2008, 11:59 PM
Glad your Ok Now .

RADsooner
4/13/2008, 12:31 AM
You are completely right on that, people use the ER as a walk in clinic, depending on whats going on in the ER at the time, sounds like you actually got in fast. I do CT, and have worked in the ER doing xray.

swardboy
4/13/2008, 07:41 AM
Personally, RADsooner, your avatar would raise me from the dead....

LosAngelesSooner
4/13/2008, 09:19 AM
Hey! My friend Linda is on that show and I think she does a GREAT jorb!!!!

;)

stoopified
4/13/2008, 10:46 AM
My wife is a nurse and had to take one of our sons to the local ER.She was waiting for 4 hours,after the first 2 she sent me and our other son home and said she would call when through.She called about 3 1/2 hours later.

olevetonahill
4/13/2008, 10:55 AM
Not as good as Deans Taint story But
A few yeras ago I was at My shop and Was grinding or sumpin and Got a a Chunk of Metal in My eye
I say No way Hosay , I tell MY Kid Ger this shat out .
we spend 3 hrs , MY Kid trying to Stick a Magnet to My eye To get that shat out !Say Fu t
I spent 2 hrs in the ER, The Doc

SouthFortySooner
4/13/2008, 10:59 AM
R's are full of G.O.M.E.R.S. Get Outta My Emergency Room with your 3 week old cough.

Newbomb Turk
4/13/2008, 11:03 AM
MY Kid trying to Stick a Magnet to My eye To get that shat out

:eek:

olevetonahill
4/13/2008, 11:24 AM
:eek:

Hell we thot It might work !
:cool:

85Sooner
4/13/2008, 11:34 AM
If you were illegal and had no insurance then theymay have gotten to you faster:)

85Sooner
4/13/2008, 11:35 AM
Hey! My friend Linda is on that show and I think she does a GREAT jorb!!!!

;)

Yeah but I love the realisticness of SCRUBS.")

soonerbrat
4/13/2008, 04:54 PM
R's are full of G.O.M.E.R.S. Get Outta My Emergency Room with your 3 week old cough.

actually, that term is more about people who should be allowed to die peacefully instead of receiving medical care, i.e. nursing home patients.

SouthFortySooner
4/13/2008, 11:48 PM
actually, that term is more about people who should be allowed to die peacefully instead of receiving medical care, i.e. nursing home patients. Cool. It's still the EMERGENCY room peoful.

OUDoc
4/14/2008, 08:04 AM
I think they should make the word "EMERGENCY" blink rapidly. No one seems to notice that word on the sign.

soonerbrat
4/14/2008, 09:04 AM
i think mostly people that go in for colds and such don't have insurance and they won't be refused treatment in an ER even if they can't pay.

Turd_Ferguson
4/14/2008, 09:15 AM
They should have two ER's right next to each other. One for paying, and one for non-paying. Kinda like first class and coach. Offer all kinds of amenities on the paying side, with a curtain we can pull shut if the non-paying start staring too much.

Paperclip
4/14/2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-HWkbnDfg&NR=1

shaun4411
4/14/2008, 12:31 PM
About 5pm on Wednesday night I started to experience some pretty heavy abdominal pain. I thought it was gas but it got worse. My wife made me go to the walk in clinic that was open til 7 about a mile from the house. The doc there pushed on my stomach saw my reaction and said to head to the ER right away. He would call and let them know I was coming.

So we drive the 15 minutes to the ER. By the time we got to the ER I wasin excruciating pain I was literally doubled over when we checked in. We waited for 2 hours to se a triage nurse. It was rediculous. Upon seeing the triage nurse I began throwing up bile. My gall bladder was literally bursting as I sat waiting in the ER.

My care from that point on was amazing. I am without some of my innards, and in immense pain but i am home. Every doctor, nurse, tech, and porter in the hospital were kind, caring, and fast.

But it no longer surprises me that horrible things happen while people wait in the ER. There are too many people that use the ER as their only means of health care.

im sorry to hear that. if you think that's bad, just wait until we have universal healthcare. imagine how many people will be sitting in the ER because their butt itches.

shaun4411
4/14/2008, 12:39 PM
They should have two ER's right next to each other. One for paying, and one for non-paying. Kinda like first class and coach. Offer all kinds of amenities on the paying side, with a curtain we can pull shut if the non-paying start staring too much.

that sounds awfully similar to segregated drinking fountains back in the 50's

sooner_born_1960
4/14/2008, 12:47 PM
It sounds more like segregated airplanes.

Turd_Ferguson
4/14/2008, 12:47 PM
that sounds awfully similar to segregated drinking fountains back in the 50'sRight....that's kinda stretching it a bit don'tcha think?:rolleyes:

OUstudent4life
4/14/2008, 12:51 PM
actually, the separate er's is how ouhsc works now, kinda.

And not to get too political, but universal health care would let the people with minor problems go to the doctor INSTEAD of the er. Thats the theory, anyway. All the people that go to the er as primary care now are the ones that can't pay. That's the problem.

C&CDean
4/14/2008, 01:14 PM
Purcell.

You're welcome. Every time I've had to go get sewn up, etc. I'm in, stitched, and on the way home within the hour. I've never even had to sit down in the "waiting room." I walk in, hand them my insurance card, and walk to the back (or get carted back there) and they start doing their thing. From the truck to the first shot of lidocaine has never been more than maybe 2-3 minutes. Tops.

shaun4411
4/14/2008, 01:32 PM
i think the problem is that people who dont have a health issue think they do and will go because its free. imagine how many people avoid the ER or a doc visit because theyre too proud, too cheap, or just cant afford it.

now suddenly, goin to the doc is as free as fresh air. nothing will hold them back. oh my eyeball has been itching for a couple hours, i probably have gloucoma, i need to see an optomotrist.

SoonerInKCMO
4/14/2008, 01:39 PM
Purcell.

You're welcome. Every time I've had to go get sewn up, etc. I'm in, stitched, and on the way home within the hour. I've never even had to sit down in the "waiting room." I walk in, hand them my insurance card, and walk to the back (or get carted back there) and they start doing their thing. From the truck to the first shot of lidocaine has never been more than maybe 2-3 minutes. Tops.

Yeah, but you get the Frequent Visitor special treatment. Those of us that don't try to sever our limbs on a regular basis have to go to the back of the line. ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/14/2008, 01:41 PM
Purcell.

Is that where you got your taint fixed?

:eddie:

Turd_Ferguson
4/14/2008, 01:43 PM
Purcell.

Just go to the Vet up there North of Wallyworld. He'll fix anything for ya.:D

C&CDean
4/14/2008, 02:04 PM
Is that where you got your taint fixed?

:eddie:

Nay. I fixed my taint all by myself. Kegels like a mother****er man.

Besides, what do you say to the ER doc? "well doc, I just caved in my taint on a railroad spike. Do you got a bone down there? Cause if you do, I just broke it all to hell. Can you put a cast on it?"

C&CDean
4/14/2008, 02:05 PM
Just go to the Vet up there North of Wallyworld. He'll fix anything for ya.:D

Heh. Ol' Doc Martin. He retired, and the WalMarts moved way down to the south end of town. Progress...

Turd_Ferguson
4/14/2008, 02:10 PM
Heh. Ol' Doc Martin. He retired, and the WalMarts moved way down to the south end of town. Progress...Dammit....next thing ya know Joe will be branch'n out her Pizza place:D

C&CDean
4/14/2008, 02:14 PM
Dammit....next thing ya know Joe will be branch'n out her Pizza place:D

She's got a new-fangled fancy electronic sign out front now. And it's "Jo's."

The pizza there is still killer.

Turd_Ferguson
4/14/2008, 02:22 PM
She's got a new-fangled fancy electronic sign out front now. And it's "Jo's."

The pizza there is still killer.

Mmmm.....hamburger & onion with green pepper's.

OUstudent4life
4/14/2008, 02:37 PM
i think the problem is that people who dont have a health issue think they do and will go because its free. imagine how many people avoid the ER or a doc visit because theyre too proud, too cheap, or just cant afford it.

now suddenly, goin to the doc is as free as fresh air. nothing will hold them back. oh my eyeball has been itching for a couple hours, i probably have gloucoma, i need to see an optomotrist.

as long as they go to their doc and not the er, that's good! Right now those people wait and get sicker, then show up in the we anyway.

Of course, I don't really have a good answer, though. I'm just biased.

OklahomaRed
4/14/2008, 02:58 PM
Purcell.

They know you. Kind of like Tim the toolman Taylor. :D You are their favorite E.R. "frequent flyer"! :eek:

It's not what you know but who you know. :D

OklahomaRed
4/14/2008, 03:03 PM
as long as they go to their doc and not the er, that's good! Right now those people wait and get sicker, then show up in the we anyway.

Of course, I don't really have a good answer, though. I'm just biased.

Looks good on paper. We have free healthcare here in the city I live in. All you have to do is qualify as a covered indigent. So far the record for either accessing the E.R. or the Walk In Clinic in one month is #28 visits. You know, when you don't have a job, you can make anything your job. Like getting up and go seein' the doctor every day. The issue is less access to healthcare, and more access to liquor stores, cigarette vending machines, and the tater chips down at Wal-Mart. :D

shaun4411
4/14/2008, 03:16 PM
just give sick people happy pills that'll make them die happy. and offer a $50,000 gift to the next of kin for offering to end their life early. (dependent on not having $50,000 worth of debt)