PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game Attendance Predictions

Sabanball
4/11/2008, 09:21 PM
With the weather predicted to be partly sunny and in the 60's tomorrow in Norman, I say you guys pack 60,000+ into the stadium to see the spring game. Our weather down here is a little less predictable, since we've had storm fronts moving in and out all day today. But I will still say we put 80,000 in Bryant-Denny stadium tomorrow. One 'downer' for us, if you can call it that, is it's been known for weeks now that our game will be televised on CSS live, which I think may keep our attendance down from what it otherwise would have been.

What's your prediction on your spring game attendance?

oudivesherpa
4/11/2008, 09:24 PM
To quote Allen Iverson, "It's practice!"

Sabanball
4/11/2008, 09:27 PM
To quote Allen Iverson, "It's practice!"

Ummm...yea. I think we all know that. So what's your prediction, ousherpa?

kelloggOUballa
4/11/2008, 09:54 PM
no way we get 60,000.....35,000

kelloggOUballa
4/11/2008, 09:57 PM
maybe 45,000

Sabanball
4/11/2008, 10:21 PM
I would think fan enthusiasm for the upcoming season would be at an all -time high for you guys. Right now, I would only rank Georgia ahead of the Sooners in my preseason poll. What gives? You guys should have a lot more than 45000 tomorrow. let's face it, both of our fan bases take football just as seriously as the other. With no bad weather to keep anyone away, I really think you guys are in for a big crowd tomorrow.

Flying Scotsman
4/11/2008, 10:24 PM
Do you think the bloody Ags get 65K figures at Boonesfarm for the world's most powerful offense? HA!

BoomerSoonerGoOU
4/12/2008, 12:29 AM
60,000. Wow. That's high. With no QB battle, I suspect it'll be no more than 40,000. That's if we're lucky. I say 30,000.

goingoneight
4/12/2008, 12:52 AM
It will be in between 24,000 and 41,000-ish like it always is. Not too many people know it's even happening tomorrow. It was a big deal when it was on TV and stuff. And while yes, it IS just "practice," it's nice to see when you have a "franchise" position battle or an up-and-comer like Murray last year. I iz saddend... kent mak sprng gam! It's the first one I'll miss of the Stoops era. :(

Rhino
4/12/2008, 01:09 AM
Our last seven R&W crowds:
2007: 21,020
2006: 25,000
2005: 41,400 -record
2004: 31,000
2003: 40,500
2002: 20,000
2001: 32,000

I figure it'll stay in the 20,000s this spring, for various reasons.

birddog
4/12/2008, 12:27 PM
With the weather predicted to be partly sunny and in the 60's tomorrow in Norman, I say you guys pack 60,000+ into the stadium to see the spring game. Our weather down here is a little less predictable, since we've had storm fronts moving in and out all day today. But I will still say we put 80,000 in Bryant-Denny stadium tomorrow. One 'downer' for us, if you can call it that, is it's been known for weeks now that our game will be televised on CSS live, which I think may keep our attendance down from what it otherwise would have been.

What's your prediction on your spring game attendance?

do you really want to know our attendance predictions for the spring game? me thinks you just want to talk about bammer having 80,000 in the stands with another 25,000 outside pounding on the gates to get in there.

i'm glad we don't have to watch saban ball at our school.

oudivesherpa
4/12/2008, 01:33 PM
Ummm...yea. I think we all know that. So what's your prediction, ousherpa?

It depends on your alternatives, do I want to drive 500 miles to Norman or do I want to drive 50 miles to the Gulf and go spearfishing on a rig dive--I think I'll go diving.

Now if I lived in Alabama my choices might be to go to the Spring game or take my sister on a date to Hooters.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/12/2008, 04:09 PM
do you really want to know our attendance predictions for the spring game? me thinks you just want to talk about bammer having 80,000 in the stands with another 25,000 outside pounding on the gates to get in there.

Agreed.

You know, bammer.... I have a guitar in my closet somewhere that would sound really great with that horn you're tooting. :)

Sabanball
4/12/2008, 07:51 PM

Yes, I would. This is an OU fan board the last time I checked. Nice try, but you won't get any smack from me... You evidently didn't know that I am a huge fan myself of the Sooner program for over 30 yrs now, although Alabama is my favorite of the two. Just trying to talk some ball and get your guys' perspective on your spring game. With the way you guys have dominated and been the superior program definitely for the last decade, why would I want to brag? As I have said before, we are in a rebuilding process and trying to get back to where you guys have been since 2000.

Not only would I like to know your attendance, I'd like the opinion of some of you on how you thought the team looked. I can't imagine Stoops showing a lot offensively in the spring. As is typical in this game, was the D decisively ahead of the O? How much did SB play? Just curious.

We had an attendance of 78,500 today. The weather cooperated, and that probably had more than anything to do with the turnout. There, see, what did I talk about the most?

crimson&cream
4/12/2008, 07:54 PM
I was there today and last yr and I'd say there was alot better attendence this yr. Last yr was colder but less windy, however today was cold and windy.

kelloggOUballa
4/12/2008, 08:04 PM

Sabanball
4/12/2008, 08:17 PM

Thanks, Kellogg...Wow...in one way I am surprised, in another I am not. When I lived in Oklahoma from '76-'86, I don't ever remember the Red/White game being a big affair, and those were, with the exception of maybe the '81 and '82 teams, great and very successful years for Sooner football.

When you get right down to it, the spring game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage and really doesn't mean anything as far as the team is concerned, IMO. It's more of an opportunity for the FANS to show support for the program and get together and tailgate--nothing more, nothing less.

I'm ready for fall camp--what about you?

Rhino
4/12/2008, 11:05 PM
One sticking point:

Alabama's Golden Flake A-Day Football Game: FREE
Oklahoma's Red & White Game: $10 at the gate

AlabamaSooner
4/13/2008, 01:44 AM
I agree that the cost of admission does influence numbers a bit. Being a life-long Bama fan and OU alum, I've seen both side of spring practice. It's just MUCH bigger in Alabama and that's a big reason for the large turnouts. Personally, I don't care for spring ball much at all. I always went to the Red/White game while at OU, but hardly went to A-day while in Alabama because I honestly don't want to drive 2 hours to see a practice. Until we start playing someone else, it doesn't count and I'll let the coaches worry about who starts where are the practices are over. When both teams start playing the teams that wear say....orange, I'll get a little more excited. ;)

oupride
4/13/2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/13/2008, 12:13 PM
Bammer fans are all giddy with the #1 rated recruiting class Saban bought, er, uh, signed. Being rabid fans, it's reasonable to understand their exuberance over the spring game with the new, mythical coach.(coupled with the fact that it's free admission)

Sabanball
4/13/2008, 07:45 PM
Bammer fans are all giddy with the #1 rated recruiting class Saban bought, er, uh, signed. Being rabid fans, it's reasonable to understand their exuberance over the spring game with the new, mythical coach.(coupled with the fact that it's free admission)

Care to elaborate on the charge you are making?

You know, I have nothing but respect for your program, RL, and that's what I come here primarily to talk about since I joined a short while back--sooner football. When it comes to the past, I think there's more than enough dirty laundry we could air about the other's favorite program, but I don't come to this board to do that. Maybe since I'm the real 'guest' here you could extend the same courtesy....just a thought.:)

birddog
4/13/2008, 08:29 PM
please don't base your opinion of the good posters here by what rush says.;)

he's a loose cannon.

Sabanball
4/13/2008, 10:12 PM
please don't base your opinion of the good posters here by what rush says.;)

he's a loose cannon.

Don't worry, birddog, I wont...Lol.

birddog
4/13/2008, 10:14 PM
so how did jpw look?

goingoneight
4/13/2008, 10:40 PM
He looked like JPW having fun in a spring game basically.

Ash
4/13/2008, 10:51 PM
Do we really care about how many people sacrifice time with family, etc. to watch a freakin' scrimmage with a meaningless outcome?????

I usually try to make it out to at least one scrimmage, but had our best friends not invited us, my wife and I would have spent the day doing something else. I guess that makes us and OU losers...or we have our priorities straight.

It was priceless, though, to sit in front of Angry Drunk Fan who commented after every play "are you ****ing serious? that's the best we got? we suck!!! our line sucks!!! what???? they do!!!! what are you ****ing thinking <insert player name here>???? wow, we're going to suck this year! what???? look at it, we suck!" Yeah, the spring game is soooo important.

After last years Red-White game the QB position was up for grabs. LMAO. Bradford pretty much erased all of that speculation.

Sabanball
4/14/2008, 12:24 AM
so how did jpw look?

I think he was 17-34, not sure about the yardage total. He got off to a rough start, but seemed to improve as the game went on. I'm still not sold on JP, but until another one of our guys steps up, I see him as being our qb by default.

The Darrah kid out of Atlanta played really good, but few people that I know think he is ready to mount a serious challenge to the starter position.

What's the consensus on SB's performance? From what I've heard, he threw a couple of picks, but other than that i have not heard much. I know this-from what i saw of him last season, with the exception the bowl game, he should be a serious heisman contender in '08.

KantoSooner
4/14/2008, 12:35 AM
So, how do you see your season shaping up? Any 'sleeper' games that should be on my radar to watch?
I'm returning to the US after 14 years so this will be my first chance to see college ball since the early 1990's. I'm already starting to circle calendar dates and icing the beer.

4/14/2008, 12:59 AM
Care to elaborate on the charge you are making?

You know, I have nothing but respect for your program, RL, and that's what I come here primarily to talk about since I joined a short while back--sooner football. When it comes to the past, I think there's more than enough dirty laundry we could air about the other's favorite program, but I don't come to this board to do that. Maybe since I'm the real 'guest' here you could extend the same courtesy....just a thought.:)If you can't take a little ribbing, then too bad for you. It's just noteworthy that Bammer has all of a sudden, a top rated recruiting class. How the heck would I, or anyone else here know how it happened? I don't know enough about birddogbbq to have any opinion of his calling me a loose cannon. If he's one of our board's liberals, that would be a compliment.

crimson&cream
4/14/2008, 08:33 AM
If you can't take a little ribbing, then too bad for you. It's just noteworthy that Bammer has all of a sudden, a top rated recruiting class. How the heck would I, or anyone else here know how it happened? I don't know enough about birddogbbq to have any opinion of his calling me a loose cannon. If he's one of our board's liberals, that would be a compliment.

All everybody is saying is calm it down the BAMA person is a guest on here and being polite.
As for the Liberal comment this is a sports site not political -However, I just read where all polls actually show the majority of Americans think Liberal about 73% where only 23% claim to think neoconservative, so your in the minority. What gets me tho is the right claims to be so religious but are so nasty and anti religious with their rremarks " I hope it's your family member's that die
' by R-Rep Dana Rohbracher Calif on those who do not supoort torture-NICE thing to say
on Katrina victims..SCumbags...I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9/11 victims -Glen Beck a Conservative. as if either group ask for what happened to them.
then another apparent favorite , Coulter well, her remarks would make Jesus weep.
on and on what a nice christian bunch of people.

4/14/2008, 10:55 AM
All everybody is saying is calm it down the BAMA person is a guest on here and being polite.
As for the Liberal comment this is a sports site not political -However, I just read where all polls actually show the majority of Americans think Liberal about 73% where only 23% claim to think neoconservative, so your in the minority. What gets me tho is the right claims to be so religious but are so nasty and anti religious with their rremarks " I hope it's your family member's that die
' by R-Rep Dana Rohbracher Calif on those who do not supoort torture-NICE thing to say
on Katrina victims..SCumbags...I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9/11 victims -Glen Beck a Conservative. as if either group ask for what happened to them.
then another apparent favorite , Coulter well, her remarks would make Jesus weep.
on and on what a nice christian bunch of people.There ya go, Sabanball.

Sabanball
4/14/2008, 11:42 AM
There ya go, Sabanball.

Rush--

Sounds like you and I might get along better and enjoy talking politics more than football.;)

4/14/2008, 01:13 PM
Rush--

Sounds like you and I might get along better and enjoy talking politics more than football.;)Prolly. I'm a staunch Sooners fan, and other programs don't interest me much.