PDA

View Full Version : Demarco Murray at 212lb

soonerfan28
4/11/2008, 01:42 PM
I read this morning in the Tulsa World the D Murray is planning to play at around 215lbs next year and that he weighs 212 right now. If he can keep his speed and play at 215 it will be sick to see what he can do next year.

Anybody's thought.

badger
4/11/2008, 01:49 PM
Weight=slower usually (see Kelly, Malcolm) but with training and practice on the right turf *wink wink* I think DeMarco could have comparable speed, but not exactly the same.

He needs to put on weight to have more durability from muscle, but I kind of liked the way he played last year, sans injuries

soonerfan28
4/11/2008, 01:51 PM
Wasn't his 40 something like 4.41? So if that is the case and he plays 10 to 15 pounds heavier then I would be happy with 4.60.

Curly Bill
4/11/2008, 01:57 PM
If he's running a 4.60 I'm not gonna be happy and he probably won't be either.

Not sure I like this. The jury is out...

soonerfan28
4/11/2008, 02:07 PM
I agree that we should want a back with 4.4 speed but didn't Patrick run like a 4.65? I agree he's probably not going to be happy. I think what might hurt his speed worse then anything is gaining the weight and not really working out his lower body. In the article he said he was gaining upper body strength and I would assume that means weight also.

fwsooner22
4/11/2008, 02:13 PM
Ahh..........the off-season

Aries
4/11/2008, 03:22 PM
Is the difference between 212 and 215 really significant? He could lose more weight than that during the course of a game....

yermom
4/11/2008, 03:29 PM
um, what did AD weigh?

Collier11
4/11/2008, 03:53 PM
You can gain weight and keep your speed, it happens all the time. You just have to gain it the right way and Im sure Schmitty knows how to do that(roll MK jokes ;)

badger
4/11/2008, 04:03 PM
um, what did AD weigh?

the same as your mother ;)

oudivesherpa
4/11/2008, 09:31 PM
Is the difference between 212 and 215 really significant? He could lose more weight than that during the course of a game....

Or, taking a ........

A Picken's special

kelloggOUballa
4/11/2008, 09:48 PM
geez guys 215 is not that much! Reggie Bush is 6'0" 203. DeMarco at 215 will give him a better shot in the NFL. He's still gonna be fast as hell, he's not getting fat!

Eielson
4/11/2008, 09:50 PM
Muscle isn't going to slow you down. At least not when you weigh 212.

birddog
4/11/2008, 10:43 PM
Muscle isn't going to slow you down. At least not when you weigh 212.

yep. not a big enough of a difference to slow him down. if the extra weight went under his chin, he would have a problem. adding muscle to his frame just means he's maturing to an nfl-style body.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/12/2008, 02:25 AM
Don't worry...Demarco at 325 lbs would run faster than me. ;)

I bet he lights the place up.

Pigface1
4/12/2008, 11:04 AM
He's gonna be delivering some shots. :D I'm pretty confident he won't lose any breakaway speed.

r5TPsooner
4/12/2008, 11:06 AM
I just hope that he's ready to start opening day next year because he is just sick to watch.

adoniijahsooner
4/12/2008, 11:08 AM
AD weighed 210 when he came to college, and 220 now; and i have yet to see him caught from behind, so i dont think it will be a big deal.

Curly Bill
4/12/2008, 08:30 PM
We've seen more then one player show up to OU and get puffed up to the point where he was no longer as fast or quick as when he came in. I still say the jury is out.

kevpks
4/12/2008, 09:05 PM
He's gonna be delivering some shots. :D I'm pretty confident he won't lose any breakaway speed.

The opposing secondary will now get within twelve yards of Murray instead of 20 and he will now step on opposing players rather than jump over them.

badger
4/12/2008, 09:56 PM
As long as he stays healthy, because unhealthy and less weight equals less fast, even less fast at larger weight.

stoopified
4/13/2008, 10:14 AM
If DM or anyone else fr that matter gets in done on the field I could care less if they weigh 125 or 400 or anywhere in between.

starclassic tama
4/13/2008, 05:21 PM
We've seen more then one player show up to OU and get puffed up to the point where he was no longer as fast or quick as when he came in. I still say the jury is out.

oh really? like who? got any numbers for me, besides overinflated high school 40 times?

Curly Bill
4/13/2008, 07:41 PM
oh really? like who? got any numbers for me, besides overinflated high school 40 times?

Donta Hickson went from being the Gatorade player of the year in Texas, over Cedrick Benson I might add, to well...not even close to that.....

..but he was a hell of a lot bigger!

As for numbers: you can make up your own, some of us can tell from simple observation what's going on.

edit...Oh! and on the off chance you want to claim that it was his fault and all that. I worked with one of his former coaches from McKinney, and he put on the weight the OU staff wanted and played at the weight the OU staff wanted.

Curly Bill
4/13/2008, 07:46 PM

By the way: are you, or are you related to Jerry Schmidt? I didn't mean to hurt your feelers.

birddog
4/13/2008, 08:27 PM
well, that's one person. donta had fumblitis too.

Curly Bill
4/13/2008, 08:47 PM
well, that's one person. donta had fumblitis too.

Doesn't take away from the fact that he came in a cat-quick type small back and we put weight on him like we were trying to make a fullback out of him.

birddog
4/13/2008, 09:13 PM
what about q?

Curly Bill
4/13/2008, 09:23 PM
what about q?

Q is obviously a positive for the OU training staff, Hickson is not. We do not yet know with Demarco, that's why I said the jury is still out. Some players perform well after adding weight, they maintain their speed & quickness, while at the same time becoming more powerful. Some players do not perform as well with the added weight. To me Demarco's game is based on explosive speed and quickness, and for his weight he is also very strong. With added weight he should be as powerful, but will he still be as fast and quick? With a back like Demarco I'll take the speed and quickness every time even if I have to sacrifice a bit of power in the process. The old football saying is: speed kills! ...not: power kills.

Is there a chance he adds weight and is still just as fast and quick while being more powerful? Sure there is, and I hope that's the case, but until I see it I'm gonna stand by what I said: the jury is out.

birddog
4/13/2008, 10:12 PM
look, i understand your jury is still out. but almost (closer to all) players gain weight from their freshman to sophomore year. it's just the nature of going through training. q gained 15 pounds during that time and dm will be in that area. if he thought his quickness would be significantly affected, i'm sure he'd trim down. but he'll need to be more powerful if he wants to be an every down, durable back.

either way, i can't wait to watch him play!

Curly Bill
4/14/2008, 07:47 AM
look, i understand your jury is still out. but almost (closer to all) players gain weight from their freshman to sophomore year. it's just the nature of going through training. q gained 15 pounds during that time and dm will be in that area. if he thought his quickness would be significantly affected, i'm sure he'd trim down. but he'll need to be more powerful if he wants to be an every down, durable back.

either way, i can't wait to watch him play!

So you're sayin even highly trained football players are subject to the freshman 15? :D

soonerfan28
4/14/2008, 08:08 AM
I don't think we'll really even know next season. If he doesn't have the same quickness it could just be an effect of the dislocated knee injury.

rhombic21
4/14/2008, 10:06 AM
Doesn't take away from the fact that he came in a cat-quick type small back and we put weight on him like we were trying to make a fullback out of him.

Hickson's problem at OU was never that he lacked speed or quickness. His problem was that he fumbled the ball way too much to get carries in close games.

Hickson was 5-9 199 when he graduated.
He was 5-10 195 during his sophomore year.

I'd hardly call that bulking up like a fullback.

Curly Bill
4/14/2008, 01:57 PM
Hickson's problem at OU was never that he lacked speed or quickness. His problem was that he fumbled the ball way too much to get carries in close games.

Hickson was 5-9 199 when he graduated.
He was 5-10 195 during his sophomore year.

I'd hardly call that bulking up like a fullback.

I don't care what the weight chart says, I know what my eyes tell me, and he was considerably bulked up. Those weight charts are about as reliable as reported high school 40 times also. Same thing with basketball players reported height - take it with a grain of salt.

Collier11
4/14/2008, 02:15 PM
Hickson didnt play because those in front of him were better, not because of his weight!

birddog
4/14/2008, 03:52 PM
I don't care what the weight chart says, I know what my eyes tell me, and he was considerably bulked up. Those weight charts are about as reliable as reported high school 40 times also. Same thing with basketball players reported height - take it with a grain of salt.

ok, you rely on your eyes as opposed to scales.

the jury is still out on your eyesight.

NormanPride
4/14/2008, 04:19 PM
Hickson was a good back, but he had better players in front of him. He was still fast as hell, as evidenced by his scrub time against texas in '03 when he took a screen pass 65+ yards. He never looked too big for his frame, though.

Travis Wilson, however, was way too big his junior year. He dropped some weight, and was awesome his senior year. I don't think that was the trainers, though.

HBick
4/14/2008, 07:04 PM
um, what did AD weigh?

AD is taller than DeMarco, add in the fact that AD was a complete freak of nature athletically that his weight is in no way comparable to that of DeMarco Murray. I would like to hope his newly acquired weight is not detrimental to his speed since he is not your typical straight up the gut type of back. He's more of a finese back, and runs with a style more like Bush.

Curly Bill
4/14/2008, 07:08 PM
Hickson didnt play because those in front of him were better, not because of his weight!

...and why was he not better? I contend part of it was we tried to make him something he wasn't.

Curly Bill
4/14/2008, 07:10 PM

Oh slam! :rolleyes:

You want to rely on scales to tell you the whole story you go ahead though.

SouthFortySooner
4/14/2008, 09:17 PM
Ok, if Donte, "put on the weight/played at the weight", the coaches wanted him to, that's a good thing, right? To say anything else would be to imply the "coaches" had some sort of malicious intent by making him a muscle bound slug or something. I don't know much about this player manufacturing business but i'm more in the natural selection camp on who plays or doesn't.

I think Mr. Kelly's recent comments have left some to think they can question our strength and training people, when much has been said and reported about the quality in this program. jes sayin

Seamus
4/14/2008, 10:10 PM

Schwing! Bwahahahahahaha!

Collier11
4/15/2008, 12:42 AM
Ok, if Donte, "put on the weight/played at the weight", the coaches wanted him to, that's a good thing, right? To say anything else would be to imply the "coaches" had some sort of malicious intent by making him a muscle bound slug or something. I don't know much about this player manufacturing business but i'm more in the natural selection camp on who plays or doesn't.

I think Mr. Kelly's recent comments have left some to think they can question our strength and training people, when much has been said and reported about the quality in this program. jes sayin

Exactly, this thought is put together with such a lack of common sense...Donte just wasnt that good!

Curly Bill
4/15/2008, 07:52 AM
Exactly, this thought is put together with such a lack of common sense...Donte just wasnt that good!

Yeah really, Gatorade player of the year in Texas as a high school senior, he really sucked even before we got him. :rolleyes:

Collier11
4/15/2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah really, Gatorade player of the year in Texas as a high school senior, he really sucked even before we got him. :rolleyes:

Since when does HS success parlay into college success? Remember Romar? Most players that OU will recruit will be All-state and/or All-Americans in HS...that means nothing to what they can do at a big time program like OU

picasso
4/15/2008, 12:49 PM
Weight=slower usually (see Kelly, Malcolm) but with training and practice on the right turf *wink wink* I think DeMarco could have comparable speed, but not exactly the same.

He needs to put on weight to have more durability from muscle, but I kind of liked the way he played last year, sans injuries

Mark Clayton gained weight and got faster.

just sayin.:)

snp
4/15/2008, 12:57 PM
Oh slam! :rolleyes:

You want to rely on scales to tell you the whole story you go ahead though.

You want to rely on one player out of hundreds to tell the whole story. Sorry, not buying it when there's way too many counter examples.

NormanPride
4/15/2008, 01:45 PM
You make it sound like he sucked once he got to OU which isn't the case. The people in front were better running backs.

Collier11
4/15/2008, 01:46 PM
You make it sound like he sucked once he got to OU which isn't the case. The people in front were better running backs.

If you are speaking to me(not sure if you are) I am not implying that HIckson sucked, I am just saying that many HS athletes are great in HS and cant get on the field in CFB. As you said and I said earlier, sometimes you just have better guys in front of you

yermom
4/15/2008, 02:11 PM
he looked good in practice it seemed. he fumbled in some bad spots though, CU in Boulder comes to mind. there wasn't a lot of room in 2004 for him with Kejaun and AD. and then he got hurt in 2005 right?

Collier11
4/15/2008, 02:27 PM
Weight=slower usually

Not at all true...99.9% of college athletes gain weight while they are in college, that is what you are supposed to do. It depends on the kind of weight you gain but that is why you have a conditioning program, to make sure that the speed doesnt suffer. Clayton and Cody are just two examples out thousands of putting on weight and getting faster

Curly Bill
4/15/2008, 04:33 PM

...but why were they better? I contend that it was at least in part due to the fact we put too much weight on him and he did not carry it well. Some players put on weight and get faster, some players don't.

Training football players, just like many other fields, is not a one size fits all situation. That's why I say I don't know if it's a good idea for Demarco to be putting on weight or not, it might work out like a charm for him, and then again it may not.

There's been more then one player, usually after they're in the NFL that comes out with a statement along the lines of how they played at too much weight the year before and it hurt their game. Those of you that seem to think this isn't possible, or has never happened before...well, I got this for ya: :P

:D