Self tells Oklahoma State that's he's happy with Kansas, doesn't want to leave

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: April 10, 2008, 4:36 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Kansas coach Bill Self said Thursday he will stay at Kansas instead of going to his alma mater Oklahoma State.

Self told ESPN.com that he spoke with OSU AD Mike Holder Wednesday night. He said Holder never discussed money but just asked if he wanted to come home.

"I couldn't see leaving this place," Self said of KU after winning the national title Monday in San Antonio. "This is where we want to be."

Self said that Kansas and he would get together soon on his deal but there was no rush.

"I'm still in shock about how we won," Self said of being down nine points to Memphis with 2:12 left. "I'm most proud we made so many plays under pressure."

Self said he didn't want to leave KU like he had left Tulsa and Illinois -- on top without enjoying the fruits of the program's success.

KU called a 5:30 ET news conference to discuss Self's decision.

Senior writer Andy Katz covers men's college basketball for ESPN.com.

SoonerMom2
4/10/2008, 09:48 AM
Local Lawrence paper is saying the press conference is at 4:30 and it is set up with three microphones.

badger
4/10/2008, 09:50 AM
Local Lawrence paper is saying the press conference is at 4:30 and it is set up with three microphones.

Three microphones, one for each championship we have won :D

Or perhaps they should upgrade him to four microphones.

Four microphones, one for each Big 12 championship he has won.

Do we have a five? Any reason for five microphones? :D:D:D

Sorry, I just like pointing out how silly it is for Lawrence to count microphones.

SoonerMom2
4/10/2008, 09:54 AM
My favorite post on the KU message board about this info:

Now Billy Gillespie can say NO to OSU. I'm still fan rooting against "T. Boone Pickens U" for life for the distraction they caused during Final Four Week.

BOOMER SOONER

Crimsontothecore
4/10/2008, 09:56 AM
I guess that narrows it down to coach K, Roy Williams, and the ghost of James Naismith.:D

SoonerMom2
4/10/2008, 10:02 AM
From the Oklahoman where their sports writers have been pushing OSU for Self:

Thu April 10, 2008
Kansas schedules basketball news conference

From Staff Reports

The Kansas athletics department has scheduled a news conference about the men's basketball program for 4:30 p.m. Thursday.

Jayhawks coach Bill Self met with Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins on Wednesday and again on Thursday to discuss Self's contract and the coaching vacancy at Oklahoma State.

Self has said he would talk with Oklahoma State about the job but that he is happy in Kansas.

The Jayhawks won the NCAA championship on Monday, beating Memphis in overtime.

SoonerMom2
4/10/2008, 10:06 AM
Note: Bill Self talked to the Tulsa World as well as ESPN but looks like he boycotted the Oklahoman or they didn't put up an article.

Self staying at Kansas

by: Dave Sittler, World Sports Writer
4/10/2008 12:00 AM

STILLWATER -- Bill Self will remain basketball coach at Kansas, he told the World in an interview this afternoon.

A 4:30 p.m. press conference is set in Lawrence to make the announcement.

Self said he met with Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder on Wednesday night. Self met with Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins briefly on Wednesday and again today.

Self said he and Holder met in Kansas to discuss the OSU opening, but they didn't discuss money.

OSU coach Sean Sutton resigned under pressure on April 1, and speculation immediately centered on Self as his replacement.

Self, who led Kansas to the national championship with a win over Memphis on Monday night, has repeatedly been asked about the OSU opening. He consistently said he wanted to remain at Kansas but never ruled out the possibility he would leave KU to take a job at his alma mater.

NYC Poke
4/10/2008, 10:17 AM
I suspect there was an NDA to prevent disclosure of the offer to keep us from negotiating against ourselves with whomever we contact next.

SoonerStormchaser
4/10/2008, 10:49 AM
I think OSU and Kelvin deserve each other!

crawfish
4/10/2008, 10:55 AM
So, the gamble didn't pay off. Sounds a lot like what happened with OU when they let Gibbs go - Duncan had put all his eggs in the Mack Brown basket, and when that went south he got desperate to get a big name, and you know who we ended up with.

The way Sutton was fired will probably preclude them from making a Capel-like hire. Holder will need a coach with plenty of accomplishments to justify his actions. If he can't get a Calipari or the like, look for him to find some once-hot coach that is currently in a humble position.

Like Kelvin. :D

Mjcpr
4/10/2008, 10:56 AM
Or Larry Brown.

SleestakSooner
4/10/2008, 11:00 AM
So once again, the Sooners are looking better and better and the Cowpokes are still searching for a miracle.

It's good to be a Sooner ain't it? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
4/10/2008, 11:09 AM
I guess the next logical choice will be John Wooden

picasso
4/10/2008, 11:28 AM
oSu fans must be shocked.

props to Traber for saying there was no way.

SoonerBOI
4/10/2008, 11:33 AM
I guess the next logical choice will be John Wooden

Or the ghost of Henry Iba...:D :D :D

wishbonesooner
4/10/2008, 11:46 AM
BWWAAAA The little budget Aggies are now turning on not only Self, but Holder as well. Self told them numerous times he wasn't coming, they fould out today that Boone's money won't buy them a coach or a championship of any kind.

XFollower
4/10/2008, 11:47 AM
A wise man. I wouldn't have gone for a GOOGILLION bucks

cheezyq
4/10/2008, 12:10 PM
I'm curious how the article could be written at 4:36 PM ET, and yet it was posted here at 9:42 AM CT. Perhaps there's a new time zone - the Twilight Zone?

cheezyq
4/10/2008, 12:13 PM
....the ghost of James Naismith.:D

As revered as he was for inventing the game in Kansas, he was technically KU's worst basketball coach ever. ;)

tommieharris91
4/10/2008, 12:43 PM
:stunned: wez gunna harr jif capl!!! :stunned:

stoopified
4/10/2008, 01:35 PM
Jamie Dixon of Pitt is the new hot name at osu.

sooner2b09
4/10/2008, 01:41 PM
I'm curious how the article could be written at 4:36 PM ET, and yet it was posted here at 9:42 AM CT. Perhaps there's a new time zone - the Twilight Zone?

Haha I posted it at around 4:40, so maybe a hack, OH NOES!! A TIME HACKER!! :D

GottaHavePride
4/10/2008, 02:53 PM
Watch out: they're gonna hire Billy Tubbs.

tulsaoilerfan
4/10/2008, 03:03 PM
Or Larry Brown.

Brown wants to get back into coaching, but even if they did hire him he's got a shelf life of 2 years max before he will want to go somewhere else:D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/10/2008, 03:31 PM
Brown wants to get back into coaching, but even if they did hire him he's got a shelf life of 2 years max before he will want to go somewhere else:DYeah, I don't get that guy, although the moving around never really seemed to hurt him.

goingoneight
4/10/2008, 04:19 PM
Anyone here think :eddie: wants to go for 900 wins? :D

Crimsontothecore
4/10/2008, 04:49 PM
I went over to Orangepower.com after self's announcement just to see the gnashing of teeth. I nearly choked on my soup when I saw a picture of self in front of their sites "Orangepower" header. I don't know how long it had been there but I notice it's now gone. I knew I should have posted a link before they removed it. What morons!

soonerfan28
4/11/2008, 02:35 AM
I work with an OSU alum who said that Self would leave because he's done it everywhere he's been. I tried to explain to him that Tulsa and Illinois are not Kansas. He then tried to justify it with the money they would be paying him. Funny thing is he's not at work today. I'm shocked.

orangekaje
4/11/2008, 02:36 AM
I went over to Orangepower.com after self's announcement just to see the gnashing of teeth. I nearly choked on my soup when I saw a picture of self in front of their sites "Orangepower" header. I don't know how long it had been there but I notice it's now gone. I knew I should have posted a link before they removed it. What morons!

Yeah, they also had Jamie Dixon, Les Miles, Oregon's Mascot, Gary England, Bob Knight and Billy Gillespie up there, moron.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=51791

:pop:

stoopified
4/11/2008, 03:38 AM
When I went over to OP the other day,I suggested they hire Jim Dickey.I was serious,he knows the program,staff,playersHe sis as good a job at TT as RMK did and I think he is as good as any coach they realistically can get.I haven't been back yet to see if I was banned or not.

JohnnyMack
4/11/2008, 03:58 AM
So far it's been confirmed that Bruce Pearl, John Calipari, Tim Floyd, Larry Brown and Billy Gillespie are all flying in to Stillwater today to have a winner take all fight to the death on the 50 yard line of the foosball stadium with the winner earning the right to become Boone State's savior.

More coaches will surely throw their hat into the ring for the opportunity to coach at this institution. It should have a Death Race 3000 feel to it once this thing gets rolling.

Mixer!
4/11/2008, 04:06 AM
I'm thinking of the fight scene in Ron Burgundy.

JohnnyMack
4/11/2008, 04:07 AM
I'm thinking of the fight scene in Ron Burgundy.

I killed a man with a trident.

Ash
4/11/2008, 04:11 AM
When this coaching search is done, Pokie Lite will be known as the only school that could lure Coach K away from Duke. Mark it down.

JohnnyMack
4/11/2008, 04:20 AM
When this coaching search is done, Pokie Lite will be known as the only school that could lure Coach K away from Duke. Mark it down.

I was going to include Coach K in the battle royale, but with his recent back surgery I wasn't sure if he was up for it or not.

Ash
4/11/2008, 04:32 AM
I was going to include Coach K in the battle royale, but with his recent back surgery I wasn't sure if he was up for it or not.

Good point. He's a competitor, though. Don't let the friendly granddad image he portrays fool you.

Crimsontothecore
4/11/2008, 04:59 AM
Yeah, they also had Jamie Dixon, Les Miles, Oregon's Mascot, Gary England, Bob Knight and Billy Gillespie up there, moron.

But Self's picture was front and center. I'm glad someone over there saw the embarrassment of the whole thing and changed it back. Were there also 'Welcome home coach self" banners all over campus that had to be quickly removed yesterday afternoon?
I see you've fallen off the Ron Paul bandwagon...moron. His chances of a nomination were about as good as Self going to stoolwater...zero. I guess you chokes make a habit out of avoiding reality.:P

kbsooner21
4/11/2008, 05:05 AM
Shocker :rolleyes:

cheezyq
4/11/2008, 01:44 PM

I think we've come across a prime example that defines the word oxymoron - An aggy calling anyone a moron.

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2008, 02:18 PM
I think we've come across a prime example that defines the word oxymoron - An aggy calling anyone a moron.

Ironic, not oxymoronic.

Oxymoronic would be a poster named "RealisticPoke" or something.

orangekaje
4/11/2008, 03:15 PM

Insulting someone's intelligence while not even knowing the meaning of the word you're using.

GG

NYC Poke
4/11/2008, 03:17 PM
Ironic, not oxymoronic.

Like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife?

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2008, 03:31 PM
Like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife?

No. That's just "Why you shouldn't buy silverware at Liquidation World"

cheezyq
4/11/2008, 03:45 PM
Ironic, not oxymoronic.

Not necessarily. An oxymoron is a mixture of incongruous or contradictory words. I would categorize "an aggy calling someone a moron" as incongruous or contradictory (or, lacking harmony). Typically oxymorons contain two dissimilar words, such as "peace-keeping bomb". But I believe the dictionary definition leaves enough room for me to claim correctness. So, I'm sticking with oxymoron, since it includes "moron" in its name. :)

Oh, and consider this also a "STFU" to kaje.

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2008, 03:48 PM
The key is that it is a mixture of words, not actions.

JohnnyMack
4/11/2008, 04:05 PM
I give aggie lite fan credit. They have short memories. I was text messaging my friend who's a poke fan last night and he blew off Self and was already geeked about Jamie Dixon.

osu fan = the Chijioke of the sports world.

cheezyq
4/11/2008, 04:34 PM
The key is that it is a mixture of words, not actions.

Yes, but all oxymorons represent a concept or idea that is incongruous. My mixture of words does the same. The idea of an aggie calling another a moron is incongruous. Otherwise, an oxymoron would simply be defined as a two-word series of antonyms.

But let me put it this way - You're likely more correct than I am, but I'm using the broad definition at m-w.com to justify the use of a word that contains "moron" in defining the actions of an aggy "moron", who chose to call someone else a "moron". ;)

Frozen Sooner
4/11/2008, 04:41 PM
Oh, I see what you're doing. No worries on that score.

Crimsontothecore
4/11/2008, 07:56 PM
Insulting someone's intelligence while not even knowing the meaning of the word you're using.

GG

A lot like insulting the head coach of a program like Kansas with a job offer from a university that doesn't know the meaning of the word Elite

SleestakSooner
4/12/2008, 08:35 PM

GG

Do not become intoxicated with the excessive exuberance of your own inexhaustible verbosities.

Or as cheezyq said plz STFU k thx.

You would not have had a clue that he may have misused a word if Mike Rich hadn't been so eager to eat his own.