PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread...

Pages : 1 [2]

SteelCitySooner
5/15/2008, 12:29 PM
The fun part for the Pens will become the offseason. They've got to find the money to re-sign Staal, Fleury, and especially Malkin. Hossa will likely be little more than a rental to win the cup this year for them.

I think Crosby, Staal, Malkin, and Fluery will be makeup the CORE of the Penguin team and be franchised...everyone else will just be supporting cast. We'd be dumb to let Staal go. We got the money under the cap to do that -- the hard part will be ...do we or can we keep Hossa (who wants to stay and be more than a 'rent-a-player'), or Ryan Malone (who's looking to cash in).

GrapevineSooner
5/15/2008, 03:22 PM
Well, what if Hossa wants to come play with his junior hockey buddy? :D

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 03:47 PM
man, I wish I knew more about hockey. I'm gonna guess that his buddy plays for the Stars??

I'm Ron Burgundy??

Scott D
5/15/2008, 04:13 PM
I think Crosby, Staal, Malkin, and Fluery will be makeup the CORE of the Penguin team and be franchised...everyone else will just be supporting cast. We'd be dumb to let Staal go. We got the money under the cap to do that -- the hard part will be ...do we or can we keep Hossa (who wants to stay and be more than a 'rent-a-player'), or Ryan Malone (who's looking to cash in).

Hossa may say that he wants to stay. But someone is going to come in offering a buttload of money (see Todd Bertuzzi last summer), and he'll likely go after that because the Pens will choose their future over their present. The only way you lose any of the 3 in your core that isn't Crosby (because he's already signed long term), is if someone floats a Dustin Penner-like offer sheet at one of them with the intention of making it something more than Pittsburgh could dream of offering. I'd work more on keeping Malone than Hossa, Roberts should be as good as gone which is for the best. The man needs to retire, his best days are long behind him.

Scott D
5/15/2008, 04:14 PM
man, I wish I knew more about hockey. I'm gonna guess that his buddy plays for the Stars??

I'm Ron Burgundy??

said buddy wears #10 and has a C on his jersey, just had twins and his father in law coaches for his overrated former franchise ;)

Grape, you are so lucky I resisted the temptation to throw a Todd Hornung reference out to confuse colley. :D

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 04:26 PM
said buddy wears #10 and has a C on his jersey, just had twins and his father in law coaches for his overrated former franchise ;)

Grape, you are so lucky I resisted the temptation to throw a Todd Hornung reference out to confuse colley. :D

I had it #10. :D

Hornung never really panned out for the Capitals...

Scott D
5/15/2008, 04:27 PM
About as well as Ramzi Abid panned out for the Avs ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/15/2008, 04:28 PM
About as well as Ramzi Abid panned out for the Avs ;)

BRB, gotta go google "Ramzi Abid" :D

SteelCitySooner
5/15/2008, 09:42 PM
Pens SUCKED tonight. Only dude that showed up to play was Staal..and he just came back from his granpap's funeral. We did the exact same thing against the Rangers...didn't show up to put them away in Game 4.. :mad:

Although..with the extra $2m for Game 5, maybe we can afford to keep Hossa :)

tulsaoilerfan
5/15/2008, 10:50 PM
Pens SUCKED tonight. Only dude that showed up to play was Staal..and he just came back from his granpap's funeral. We did the exact same thing against the Rangers...didn't show up to put them away in Game 4.. :mad:

Although..with the extra $2m for Game 5, maybe we can afford to keep Hossa :)

IF they want to keep players they need to make it to game 7. :)

Scott D
5/15/2008, 11:17 PM
BRB, gotta go google "Ramzi Abid" :D

heh Abid was suppossed to be for the Avs, what Cheechoo was the past couple of years (before this year) for the Sharks.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 12:58 PM
Good 1st Goal by Dallas. WE have to have a lead to play with the Red Wings.

1-0 DAL
9:30 1st

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 01:11 PM
Nice goal by Det on the power play.

1-1
3:46 1st

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 01:37 PM
Cheapy call there for interference. Hope the Stars can kill this one.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 01:45 PM
Sweet 2 on 1 goal by Dallas. Dallas is playing with a fire not yet seen on this series. This team can compete with Det, just gotta keep it up for 1 1/2 more periods.

2-1
13:28 2nd

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 02:53 PM
Wow, Holstrom (sp?) takes a stupid penalty taking a swing at someone on the Stars bench as he heads to his bench. Could be crucial...

2-1 Dal
6:30 3rd

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 02:56 PM
Morrow hits the cross bar on a sure PP goal that would have essentially ended this game. man, what a great game.

love me some NBC HD.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 02:59 PM
Wow, an uncalled cheap shot cross check to the head of Morrow by Draper. Punk, move.

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 03:05 PM
Timeout Detroit. Face-off in the Dallas zone with an empty net. Here we go!!!!!!1

2-1 Dallas
under 2:00 3rd

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 03:05 PM
Come on empty netter....

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 03:07 PM
icing on Detroit forces the goalie back into the goal with 10 seconds...

Stars Win!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 03:10 PM
Turco was outstanding in this game and gets the monkey off the back. 1 more win and anything can happen...

SoonerStormchaser
5/17/2008, 03:12 PM
Yep...but I'm gonna keep up with pretenses. Every time I lose faith in Dallas, they keep winning, so...on that note:

STARS SUCK!!! GO DETROIT!!! TURCO IS A *****!!!;);)

colleyvillesooner
5/17/2008, 03:22 PM
Oh I agree. The Red Wings should close this thing out.

I can't wait for Game 6.

tulsaoilerfan
5/17/2008, 04:59 PM
Wow, an uncalled cheap shot cross check to the head of Morrow by Draper. Punk, move.

Does that surprise you?

tulsaoilerfan
5/17/2008, 05:00 PM
Gotta think the 2 1/2 days off before game 5 really helped Dallas; now they get another 2 plus days off before game 6 on Monday

tulsaoilerfan
5/17/2008, 05:01 PM
Did you see all the hits they showed from Kronwall? Every time he left his feet before he hit someone; is this not charging?

Scott D
5/17/2008, 05:37 PM
Did you see all the hits they showed from Kronwall? Every time he left his feet before he hit someone; is this not charging?

only if he's going out of his way to make a hit. At least as the way the NHL refs have called charging over the years. Twas a good win by the Stars in a game that could have gone either way.

SteelCitySooner
5/17/2008, 06:08 PM
I only got to see the first period, but looks like D played a great game, and from what I heard, Turco was insane. Gotta love it!

Now I'm worried that philly will take note and this will give them some increased zip in their game against the Pens...not to mention, both Coburn and Timonen may be coming back? argh. I think the Pens can still take them, but all that just gives the Flyers more to play for.. :mad:

tulsaoilerfan
5/17/2008, 08:16 PM
only if he's going out of his way to make a hit. At least as the way the NHL refs have called charging over the years. Twas a good win by the Stars in a game that could have gone either way.

Thanks Scott, charging is the one penalty that's always confused me; course i've only really followed hockey for about a decade now.

SteelCitySooner
5/18/2008, 05:57 PM
BLOWOUT:
Pens 6 - Flyers 0

Eastern Conf. Champs!! w000t!

tulsaoilerfan
5/18/2008, 06:10 PM
Bettman is probably wetting his pants now :)

GrapevineSooner
5/19/2008, 11:13 AM
Perhaps.

But the possibility of another team overcoming a 3-0 deficit has to be scoring the league some nice drama points. And while I'm not about to suggest the Stars have the same kind of national allure that the Red Wings have, it's not like a small market team would be replacing the Red Wings should the Stars complete what would be an historic comeback.

EDIT: I take that back.

From the Dallasnews.com Stars blog, Mike Heika has the following (http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/05/stars-40.html).

A lot of folks in Detroit were watching Game 5. They had to leave with an empty feeling. The numbers crunchers at NBC report Stars 2, Wings 1 on Saturday afternoon pulled a 14.1 rating in Detroit. That's 271,496 disappointed homes.

In Dallas-Fort Worth, Game 5 pulled a 4.0 rating. That's 97,424 happy homes.

Once more, quality beats quantity.

And so you know: In puck-crazed Pittsburgh, Sunday's series clincher pulled a 26.1 rating. That's an NFL-like rating. In Philadelphia, that misery scored a 7.6.

Yeah, I'd have to say Bettman's hoping the Red Wings don't pull a '75 Penguins.

Or a '42 Red Wings ;)

colleyvillesooner
5/19/2008, 07:51 PM
well, there's always next year. :(

3-0 Det
end 1

SteelCitySooner
5/19/2008, 08:05 PM
What happened to Turco?

SteelCitySooner
5/19/2008, 08:10 PM
ewwwww...shorthanded goal..damn

SteelCitySooner
5/19/2008, 08:20 PM
Geez.. can't get goals on powerplays unless you take some shots.

SteelCitySooner
5/19/2008, 09:00 PM
one down four to go

SteelCitySooner
5/19/2008, 09:27 PM
Valient effort Dallas.

Scott D
5/19/2008, 10:27 PM
Not sure if I'm glad the series is finally over or not. Good side, Stanley Cup Finals...bad news, slowing down Malkin, Crosby, and Hossa.

GrapevineSooner
5/19/2008, 11:15 PM
Not sure if I'm glad the series is finally over or not. Good side, Stanley Cup Finals...bad news, slowing down Malkin, Crosby, and Hossa.

Congrats on the series win, Scott. That Game 5 loss must have really gotten the Wings attention as they came out and looked desperate to end this series tonight.

Which they did in the first five minutes of the first period.

Then Dallas started playing too tentatively, which led to the third goal.

And then Morrow tried to do his Zubie no-look pass imitation only to see it wind up on Zetterberg's stick. And Turco had no chance against the most talented Swedish forward to lace em up since Forsberg.

Dallas finally had some life after the Robi PP goal in the third, but by then it was too little too late.

Still, a hell of a playoff run by Dallas. Which it's no guarantee of future success, the experience gained by our youngsters will be invaluable. And from a PR standpoint, the Stars probably won back quite a few fans having the sports spotlight all too themselves for the past few weeks.

I'm sure you'll have your hands full against Sid. But it's going to be a hell of a series for us hockey fans who don't really have a rooting interest.

Ok, part of my Blackhawks upbringing requires me to root against Detroit. Then again, the Pens were responsible for ruining my summer back in 1992 ;)

tulsaoilerfan
5/19/2008, 11:51 PM
Although i'm disappointed to not make the Finals, very happy with this season; Dallas still needs to add a sniper to play on the wing, and keeping Boucher and Zubov healthy next year is a must; Zubie didn't look anything like himself in this series

SteelCitySooner
5/20/2008, 07:17 AM

Yeah well keeping Zetterberg and Datsyuk down won't be a breeze either. :)

I think this is going to be a hell of a series. These two teams match up pretty evenly with mayby a slight edge going to Detroit. Our goal tender might make it even though (unless Oz has more games like last night). I think both teams are going to be in shock a little bit about each other's defenses. I'm excited. Can't wait to get the series started..

btw, anyone know who is favored? I seem to recall someone saying Detoit would be but that was a few weeks ago.

SoonerStormchaser
5/20/2008, 07:57 AM
Detroit SHOULD be favored. But I think Dallas and Nashville showed how to work on the chinks in the Wings' armor.
Detroit's D works mostly short range. If you can get some SOG's from the blue line and a quick redirect, they can't respond fast enough.

colleyvillesooner
5/20/2008, 08:54 AM
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/2878/thatsracistro0.gif

Scott D
5/20/2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah well keeping Zetterberg and Datsyuk down won't be a breeze either. :)

I think this is going to be a hell of a series. These two teams match up pretty evenly with mayby a slight edge going to Detroit. Our goal tender might make it even though (unless Oz has more games like last night). I think both teams are going to be in shock a little bit about each other's defenses. I'm excited. Can't wait to get the series started..

btw, anyone know who is favored? I seem to recall someone saying Detoit would be but that was a few weeks ago.

Most pundits still have the Wings favored mainly on the experience point. There are only a handful of players on the roster that haven't been in a Stanley Cup final much less won one.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 09:06 AM
Congrats on the series win, Scott. That Game 5 loss must have really gotten the Wings attention as they came out and looked desperate to end this series tonight.

Which they did in the first five minutes of the first period.

Then Dallas started playing too tentatively, which led to the third goal.

And then Morrow tried to do his Zubie no-look pass imitation only to see it wind up on Zetterberg's stick. And Turco had no chance against the most talented Swedish forward to lace em up since Forsberg.

Dallas finally had some life after the Robi PP goal in the third, but by then it was too little too late.

Still, a hell of a playoff run by Dallas. Which it's no guarantee of future success, the experience gained by our youngsters will be invaluable. And from a PR standpoint, the Stars probably won back quite a few fans having the sports spotlight all too themselves for the past few weeks.

I'm sure you'll have your hands full against Sid. But it's going to be a hell of a series for us hockey fans who don't really have a rooting interest.

Ok, part of my Blackhawks upbringing requires me to root against Detroit. Then again, the Pens were responsible for ruining my summer back in 1992 ;)

I think a huge part in the continued development of the Stars is being able to retain Rick Wilson. He's in my opinion crucial to the continued development of Daley, Grossman, Niskanen, and Fistric. I think it's probably time to cut Stu Barnes loose, especially with Brunnstrom coming on board.

Tippet's got the team heading in the right direction, it seems to be a matter of making sure that neither Hull nor Hicks get impatient with this team developing.

And my useless information of the day....I'm just under 2 weeks older than Jere Lehtinen :P

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2008, 09:38 AM
I think a huge part in the continued development of the Stars is being able to retain Rick Wilson. He's in my opinion crucial to the continued development of Daley, Grossman, Niskanen, and Fistric. I think it's probably time to cut Stu Barnes loose, especially with Brunnstrom coming on board.

Of if they can resign Toby Petersen and he shows that his performance this series was a little more than a flash in the pan.

Tippet's got the team heading in the right direction, it seems to be a matter of making sure that neither Hull nor Hicks get impatient with this team developing.

I happen to think this is where the dual GM role will really help with the development of this team. Any urge that Hull might have to do something that would be considered drastic would be reeled in by Les Jackson.

And Hicks, for all his frugality, has been known to change his team's long term plans on a whim. See the Texas Rangers for proof.

I just hope he realizes that the missing piece may not necessarily be a $7 or $8 million per year sniper. Just look at the Red Wings and Pens rosters and you'll see they're loaded with guys that were developed in each team's farm system, save for the trade for Hossa.

The Stars youngsters made tremendous strides this year. Time to let them continue that development.

SoonerStormchaser
5/20/2008, 09:43 AM
Dallas needs another triggerman. Modano is getting old...and Richards needs help. Another defenseman wouldn't hurt either.

SoonerStormchaser
5/20/2008, 09:45 AM
Stanley Cup Finals Schedule:
Sat May 24, 2008
Penguins Red Wings 8:00 PM ET
8:00 PM ET VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Mon May 26, 2008
8:00 PM ET VERSUS (HD),CBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Wed May 28, 2008
Red Wings Penguins 8:00 PM ET
8:00 PM ET CBC (HD),NBC (HD),RDS (HD)
Sat May 31, 2008
Mon Jun 2, 2008
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Sat Jun 7, 2008

r5TPsooner
5/20/2008, 09:49 AM
The Red Wings will win the whole enchilada in front of a half full arena.

SteelCitySooner
5/20/2008, 10:04 AM

If Pens take just one in the first two rounds, I don't think they'll lose the series. They have been dominating in the playoffs..but crazy at home in the Igloo. . They haven't been beat at home since... February!

But I agree, I can't believe how many empty seats they have there...for such a storied 'hockey town'? You couldn't even hear the crowd in Saturday's game...of course Dallas may have had something to do with that too. ;)

Detroit is not too far from Pittsburgh...and Pittsburgh fans travel very well...and the city is Penguins crazed right now. I won't be surprised to see a boatload of black and gold in Detroit.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 10:25 AM

See I disagree with that assessment. Attendance actually went up during the conference finals. And I guarantee you there won't be a ticket to be had for the Stanley Cup Finals. It's the drawback I guess to being the most successful team in the NHL over the past 15 years, along with a major financial crunch in the entire state. Between unrealistically high expectations, and the slumping job market tickets were to be had for the first time in a long time. Plus a lot of the lower bowl ones that were available were single or two seats together, not so easy to get a family of four together in one area.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 10:28 AM
Of if they can resign Toby Petersen and he shows that his performance this series was a little more than a flash in the pan.

I happen to think this is where the dual GM role will really help with the development of this team. Any urge that Hull might have to do something that would be considered drastic would be reeled in by Les Jackson.

And Hicks, for all his frugality, has been known to change his team's long term plans on a whim. See the Texas Rangers for proof.

I just hope he realizes that the missing piece may not necessarily be a $7 or $8 million per year sniper. Just look at the Red Wings and Pens rosters and you'll see they're loaded with guys that were developed in each team's farm system, save for the trade for Hossa.

The Stars youngsters made tremendous strides this year. Time to let them continue that development.

Well, I think the trade for Hal Gill was probably more important than the one that got them Hossa and Pascal Dupuis. But both teams built primarily through the draft, and got pieces in free agency and the deadline to bolster the roster. I actually prefer the way we're doing it now than the end up with a $70 mil payroll win at all costs especially the future style before the cap.

Now if only we hadn't given up Shawn Mattias to rent Bertuzzi for 2 months :mad:

Scott D
5/20/2008, 10:32 AM
Dallas needs another triggerman. Modano is getting old...and Richards needs help. Another defenseman wouldn't hurt either.

At this point in his career Modano is definitely better suited to being a winger on a scoring line, or as the checking line center. Keep in mind that the Stars did go through most of the postseason missing two defensemen (Boucher and Fistric). They're fine there provided they bring back Norstrom and Zubov doesn't continue his decline. Richards point totals in Tampa were more an indication of the fact that teams focused more on stopping Lacavalier than Richards. However, potentially Vinny Prospal will be out there, and he worked well with Richards in Tampa.

I doubt anyone outside of the Rangers would give Jagr more than $3.5-4M a year after July 1st.

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2008, 04:28 PM
See I disagree with that assessment. Attendance actually went up during the conference finals. And I guarantee you there won't be a ticket to be had for the Stanley Cup Finals. It's the drawback I guess to being the most successful team in the NHL over the past 15 years, along with a major financial crunch in the entire state. Between unrealistically high expectations, and the slumping job market tickets were to be had for the first time in a long time. Plus a lot of the lower bowl ones that were available were single or two seats together, not so easy to get a family of four together in one area.

SCF tickets sold out in 10 minutes.

Now part of that might be because Pens fans were buying up some of the tickets ;), but I also think Scott's reasoning is right on.

I know here in Dallas, the season ticket base dropped from about 15,000 pre lockout to around 11,000 to 12,000 this season. It took this season's prolonged playoff run to get those fans back.

In a city like Detroit where the team was expected to make it to the Cup Finals each of the last four playoff rounds, it took actually making it back to the Cup Finals to get fans back.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 04:34 PM
the negative side is that it may end up looking kinda empty. GG Bettman scheduling games 1 and 2 at the same time of games 3 and 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals, and with the Tigers hosting a 3 game series against the Twins....well, at least the Tigers are sucking like the Tigers of old right now, so that won't detract too many people.

GrapevineSooner
5/20/2008, 04:47 PM
the negative side is that it may end up looking kinda empty. GG Bettman scheduling games 1 and 2 at the same time of games 3 and 4 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals

Figured you of all posters on here might know this... ;)

But is there much of a cross-over crowd between the Red Wings and the Pistons up there?

To be sure, Dallas obviously has their fair share of cross-over Stars and Mavs fans. But each group also has it's corps of fans that could not care less about the other tenant in the AAC.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 05:38 PM
Figured you of all posters on here might know this... ;)

But is there much of a cross-over crowd between the Red Wings and the Pistons up there?

To be sure, Dallas obviously has their fair share of cross-over Stars and Mavs fans. But each group also has it's corps of fans that could not care less about the other tenant in the AAC.

I'd say there's probably about 30% of a cross-over crowd. The Tigers actually would be the team that'd have me more worried if they were playing very well. Of course, ironically I want them to do well this upcoming weekend for the sake of the White Sox. :)

I think it's more of a fear of people being forced to choose between the three more than anything.

r5TPsooner
5/21/2008, 01:22 PM
SCF tickets sold out in 10 minutes.

Now part of that might be because Pens fans were buying up some of the tickets ;), but I also think Scott's reasoning is right on.

I know here in Dallas, the season ticket base dropped from about 15,000 pre lockout to around 11,000 to 12,000 this season. It took this season's prolonged playoff run to get those fans back.

In a city like Detroit where the team was expected to make it to the Cup Finals each of the last four playoff rounds, it took actually making it back to the Cup Finals to get fans back.

Quite frankly I think that the economy only has a small part to play in the empty seats. Detroit has always been a "tough, hard hitting" team, and this year they are more finesse. Not a good combo in Detroit.

SteelCitySooner
5/22/2008, 07:57 AM
Sounds like maybe the Detroit fans might be a little..spoiled? Easy to happen I guess when your team is in the playoff's year after year and in the finals as often is the Wings are. I know they say the were sold out at the Joe but there were just way too many empty seats there to be a playoff game.

Scott D
5/22/2008, 09:10 AM
Quite frankly I think that the economy only has a small part to play in the empty seats. Detroit has always been a "tough, hard hitting" team, and this year they are more finesse. Not a good combo in Detroit.

This team hasn't been a "tough, hard hitting" team since Scotty Bowman took over back in the early 90s. It's been a puck possession team with some players that can mix it up if need be. Quit listening to Don Cherry.

Tickets were at a premium for years until last year. Which coincided with a lot of "white collar" workers starting to leave the state to find new jobs, and the "Big 3" starting their buyouts of long time workers.

GrapevineSooner
5/22/2008, 12:42 PM
Oh c'mon.

We all know Slava Kozlov and Igor Larionov were two of the most feared hitters in the game during the 90's. :D

And if blue collar cities like 'hard hitting teams', how do you explain the popularity of the early 90's Penguins teams?

SteelCitySooner
5/22/2008, 01:51 PM
Well, I think the trade for Hal Gill was probably more important than the one that got them Hossa and Pascal Dupuis. But both teams built primarily through the draft, and got pieces in free agency and the deadline to bolster the roster. I actually prefer the way we're doing it now than the end up with a $70 mil payroll win at all costs especially the future style before the cap.

Now if only we hadn't given up Shawn Mattias to rent Bertuzzi for 2 months :mad:

That got me thinking...and researching a tad....I'm not so sure that's accurate..I think they're pretty equal in importance. Pens add Gill and the PK% went from 8th worst in the NHL to 3rd best in the playoffs. Our GAA went from 2.55 GAA which was a respectable 10th in the league in the regular season, to 1.84 GAA in the playoffs, which led the playoffs by a not insignificant margin.

Our top line went from Colby Armstrong - Crosby - (fill in the blank) to Hossa - Crosby - Dupuis; followed by Sykora - Malkin - Malone.

All three of those players were huge for us, and did far more than just add their skills. They allowed us to plug almost every hole this team had.

JohnnyMack
5/22/2008, 02:05 PM
Oh c'mon.

We all know Slava Kozlov....... the most feared hittee in the game during the 90's. :D

I'm Scott Stevens and I approved this message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ehv4xepJw

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2008, 02:14 PM
That's pretty badass that he left his feet trying to hurt that guy...13 years ago.

JohnnyMack
5/22/2008, 02:28 PM
Let's talk about your only Stanley Cup......and feet......

And he didn't jump into the guy, one foot comes up as he strides into him.

colleyvillesooner
5/22/2008, 02:33 PM
Let's talk about your only Stanley Cup......and feet......

And he didn't jump into the guy, one foot comes up as he strides into him.

Just like my man Grape said:

Don't get me started.

That's because Buffalo fan can't read a rulebook. Specifically, the section that relates to puck possession and how back then, you could enter the crease ahead of the puck IF you established possession first.

Which Hull did.

Twice.

First, when he deflected Jere Lehtinen's shot from the half boards that Hasek never could get a handle on.

And for good measure, I think kicking the puck to your stick to put in a better shooting position also qualifies as establishing possession.

Only thing that stopped his other foot from leaving the ground was that dudes face :D

Scott D
5/22/2008, 02:38 PM
That got me thinking...and researching a tad....I'm not so sure that's accurate..I think they're pretty equal in importance. Pens add Gill and the PK% went from 8th worst in the NHL to 3rd best in the playoffs. Our GAA went from 2.55 GAA which was a respectable 10th in the league in the regular season, to 1.84 GAA in the playoffs, which led the playoffs by a not insignificant margin.

Our top line went from Colby Armstrong - Crosby - (fill in the blank) to Hossa - Crosby - Dupuis; followed by Sykora - Malkin - Malone.

All three of those players were huge for us, and did far more than just add their skills. They allowed us to plug almost every hole this team had.

I'm talking value, more than immediate parts.

For Hossa/Dupuis - Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, & this draft's first round pick

For Gill - this year's 2nd round pick, and a 5th rounder next year.

In just pure draft numbers the Pens gave up 3 first rounders, and a 3rd rounder for first rounder and an undrafted free agent.

Also, it's always a mistake to compare regular season #'s versus postseason numbers. The sheer number of games, plus the fact that you aren't playing a top club one night and the LA Kings the next in the postseason kind of distort any kind of picture you try to paint using numbers.

SteelCitySooner
5/22/2008, 03:32 PM
I'm talking value, more than immediate parts.

For Hossa/Dupuis - Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, & this draft's first round pick

For Gill - this year's 2nd round pick, and a 5th rounder next year.

In just pure draft numbers the Pens gave up 3 first rounders, and a 3rd rounder for first rounder and an undrafted free agent.

Also, it's always a mistake to compare regular season #'s versus postseason numbers. The sheer number of games, plus the fact that you aren't playing a top club one night and the LA Kings the next in the postseason kind of distort any kind of picture you try to paint using numbers.

You are right. Looking at it like that, completely agree with you. Man, you are like a hockey encyclopedia! :)

Scott D
5/22/2008, 04:19 PM
nah, I researched both trades on TSN.ca before I replied to the post. I haven't been paying attention as closesly as I have in the past. Back when I used to request trade deadline day off every year. I actually worked it this year.

SteelCitySooner
5/23/2008, 08:28 PM
I saw this posted on another board:

the last time the pens won the cup 92' a few things happened.

-There was a Bush in office
-a Clinton running for office
-a war in iraq
-the Giants won the superbowl
-and Dominic Hasik was the back-up

people may not believe it, but history does repeat itself

You Wing fans better Beware the Penguins :gary:

JohnnyMack
5/23/2008, 08:52 PM
Doobie doobie doo...

GrapevineSooner
5/24/2008, 09:56 AM
I saw this posted on another board:

You Wing fans better Beware the Penguins :gary:

The Giants won the Super Bowl in 1991 (first year the Pens won the Cup)
The Redskins won it in 1992 in the second year. By then, the War was over.

Other than that, you're right. ;)

r5TPsooner
5/24/2008, 11:18 AM
I hope the Pens win.

GrapevineSooner
5/25/2008, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the Western Conference, Pittsburgh. ;)

SteelCitySooner
5/25/2008, 10:28 AM
I had said before that I thought we might get blown out the first game due to shock. We've never played anyone like the Wings yet in the playoffs..not to mention, we played like total crap. Nobody showed up except Fluery and Crosby (maybe Hossa).

I'm pretty sure Monday will be a different game, now that we got that out of us and know what we're up against.

BTW; Pens are 8 -1 against the Western Conference this year.

tulsaoilerfan
5/25/2008, 04:57 PM
I had said before that I thought we might get blown out the first game due to shock. We've never played anyone like the Wings yet in the playoffs..not to mention, we played like total crap. Nobody showed up except Fluery and Crosby (maybe Hossa).

I'm pretty sure Monday will be a different game, now that we got that out of us and know what we're up against.

BTW; Pens are 8 -1 against the Western Conference this year.

They didn't play Detroit though, did they? I'm thinking it's been 1 1/2 years since they last played; i actually hope the Pens win this series, but it's going to be a tall chore to get by Detroit

SteelCitySooner
5/25/2008, 07:26 PM
No they didn't play Detroit. Well, I think we played pre-season..

Its definitely going to be a chore. Although, I don't think its going to be as lopsided as it was last night... Wings are really, really good. Pens are too if they play their game though. Malkin didn't look like he even wanted to be there.

Scott D
5/25/2008, 10:48 PM
I don't know that either team's record against the other conference means that much. At least based on the way the scheduling has been the past few years to try and build up divisional rivalries.

Detroit was 7-2-1 against the East (Wins against Tampa, Montreal, Carolina, Panthers, Capitals, Sabres, and Bruins. Losses against Atlanta, Ottawa, and Toronto)

Pittsburgh was 8-1-1 against the West (Wins against Anaheim, Minnesota, Dallas, Coyotes, Oilers, Flames, Canucks, and Kings. Losses to Colorado, and San Jose)

Can't really tell much from those numbers other than both teams were better than their opposite conference opponent on most nights. Pretty much the same as they were against teams in their own conferences.

And yes, the two teams played twice in the pre-season. a 1-0 Win by Detroit in overtime in Detroit on a Chris Chelios goal. And a 5-2 win by Detroit in Pittsburgh the following night. Games that to be honest didn't mean that much either. Neither team played their full compliment of starters and both teams had about 40% of their rosters at the time with minor leaguers.

A few Pens boards have gotten pretty ugly regarding Malkin of late. I really don't think the criticism of him is really that warranted.

SoonerBorn68
5/26/2008, 11:05 AM
Hey Scott, WTF are these players dressed in Detroit uni's? They grind, they hustle, they hit...

I'm so use to a Detroit skating/finesse/super star packed team I'm almost shocked at the blue collar work ethic.

Scott D
5/26/2008, 03:05 PM
It's what happens when we change the configuration to just 1 Russian, and we increase the total of Swedes to 7 ;)

I think fans are really going to like Jonathan Ericsson next year if Cheli calls it quits.

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2008, 09:48 PM
Omen for the series? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7kryvcOYo)

Starting to look that way.

JohnnyMack
5/26/2008, 10:00 PM
Is it premature to congratulate Ozzie on his Conn Smythe trophy?

Scott D
5/26/2008, 10:08 PM
yes.

Pittsburgh played better, but Fleury was still the best player on the ice for them as a whole. Malkin definitely played better than he did in Game 1, and the team definitely rallied behind Gary Roberts being in the lineup. Unfortunately, Roberts looked to be a little over aggressive to make up for the time he missed and that was kind of a detriment to the Penguins.

I would definitely expect the Pens to play better in their old barn (and believe me I call the Joe an old barn too).

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2008, 10:29 PM
I think Pittsburgh will play better.

But I'd still be shocked if this series even gets to 6 games. It's as if the nearly week long layoff by Pittsburgh caused them to forget how to play their own brand of hockey.

Of course, Detroit's puck possession style that damn near forces opponents to score first to have any hope of winning is a big reason for that.

But getting back to my first point, we've seen how futile an exercise it is to chase the game against Detroit. I'd argue that the same holds true when you're trying to chase a series against the Red Wings.

Scott D
5/26/2008, 10:37 PM
Well, I'm not the type to count the chickens until they hatch...so I'll be nervous until there is a 4th win, but that's how I always am. I think Michel Therrien had some interesting postgame comments. He's definitely as frustrated as his players are, and he managed to flat out say that the Wings are apparently committing multiple obstruction penalties every time the Penguins touch the puck, and Chris Osgood took two dives (the Malone penalty was legit..despite what Eddie O said, Stuart shoved Crosby, Malone went into the crease as Ozzie was moving to that side following the puck. The Sykora one was created by Osgood sticking his glove arm out.)

I'm still trying to get over Gary F'n Roberts getting outpunched by Pavel Datsyuk...good going trying to get a guy smaller than you to go and then getting outdone.

SteelCitySooner
5/27/2008, 05:36 AM
:mad: so frustrating :mad:

They aren't playing their game at all. Of course, thats what everyone say's when the team you play completely shut you down. I give props to Detroit, but damn..come on Pens. Stop the stupid turnovers, mistakes, penalties, and PLAY you damn game!

Despite what Therrien said about the officiating, we were completely and totally outplayed and outskilled. I think even out physicaled. :mad:

Scott D
5/27/2008, 06:09 AM
:mad: so frustrating :mad:

They aren't playing their game at all. Of course, thats what everyone say's when the team you play completely shut you down. I give props to Detroit, but damn..come on Pens. Stop the stupid turnovers, mistakes, penalties, and PLAY you damn game!

Despite what Therrien said about the officiating, we were completely and totally outplayed and outskilled. I think even out physicaled. :mad:

Therrien is lobbying for help from officials with his comments about it. It's similar to comments you usually hear from Phil Jackson anytime the Lakers lose a game, especially a playoff game. Except Therrien can admit his team was beaten, Jackson insists his team never loses in the postseason, the refs always abuse his team into a loss.

Also, I'd say game 3 makes me the most nervous. I think that like the first two games, whoever scores first will have the advantage in this game. And I'd expect the Pens to come out hard at home with the fans behind them.

SoonerStormchaser
5/27/2008, 10:17 AM
Someone please wake me up when Pittsburgh finally scores a freakin goal!

Is it too late to get Dallas scheduled in? At least they gave Detroit the best run for their money!

GrapevineSooner
5/27/2008, 12:38 PM
Someone please wake me up when Pittsburgh finally scores a freakin goal!

Is it too late to get Dallas scheduled in? At least they gave Detroit the best run for their money!

Well like Scott said, let's wait and see what Pittsburgh does with these two home games coming up.

Recall that Anaheim got shut out in Games 1 and 2 of the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals at New Jersey and they came back home, knotted the series up, and eventually pushed the Devils to a Game 7.

Of course, it might help if the guy behind the Anaheim bench in that series was behind your bench...instead of being behind the Detroit bench. ;)

Scott D
5/27/2008, 09:55 PM
I just put up an interesting entry on Malkin tonight, so if folks wanna take a peek at it that'd be cool. I'd really like SteelCity's input, and of course Grapevine's as well. Oh, and I posted this here because someone...(*cough*steelcity*cough*) has a full PM box :)

SteelCitySooner
5/28/2008, 05:26 AM
I just put up an interesting entry on Malkin tonight, so if folks wanna take a peek at it that'd be cool. I'd really like SteelCity's input, and of course Grapevine's as well. Oh, and I posted this here because someone...(*cough*steelcity*cough*) has a full PM box :)

Sorry. Clear now. I need to renew my sponsorship. Man you don't get jack for PM space if you don't sponsor..

So where at Scott?

SteelCitySooner
5/28/2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Scott, check you're peem.. Good article..

In addition, History does tend to repeat itself! In the last 2 – 3 games Malkin & Malone both looked out of it… It would be a great help if Malkin gets back to the top of his game the rest of the series. Last year Ottawa was very physical against Malkin and it did take him out of the game. Richards did put a big hit on him and he seemed to fade away the rest of that series. Detroit is banging everybody, so if that is a Malkin weakness we may not see much from him the rest of the chase

GrapevineSooner
5/28/2008, 02:29 PM
I remember, especially during the early part of his career, that the main knock against Fedorov is that he'd have all that talent and have that potential to take over games, but just couldn't or wouldn't for one reason or another.

I can't think of a better microcosm of that than the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals when the Devils completely took him out of the series. If memory serves, the only goal he scored in the Finals was in Game 3 of the series after New Jersey had gone up 5-0 and he celebrated like he had just scored a game winner.

Moments later, Stevie Y scored and simply raised his stick.

Didn't mean to get sidetracked there ;) Let me just say that I think, for now, the comparison fits between Fedorov and Malkin. And truth be told, it's not just Malkin that looks lost out there. It seems to me that Pittsburgh may have had too easy of time of it out there in the first three rounds.

Now they've run into a buzzsaw, a team that plays team defense better than anyone in the NHL, and they're absolutely clueless as how to stop it.

Which is why I suggested on my blog that they try to dump and chase. :D Sounds weird given the skillset that they have. But given how Detroit has absolutely owned the neutral zone in the series, I think that's their best shot to get back into the series.

SteelCitySooner
5/28/2008, 04:50 PM
I remember, especially during the early part of his career, that the main knock against Fedorov is that he'd have all that talent and have that potential to take over games, but just couldn't or wouldn't for one reason or another.

I can't think of a better microcosm of that than the 1995 Stanley Cup Finals when the Devils completely took him out of the series. If memory serves, the only goal he scored in the Finals was in Game 3 of the series after New Jersey had gone up 5-0 and he celebrated like he had just scored a game winner.

Didn't mean to get sidetracked there ;) Let me just say that I think, for now, the comparison fits between Fedorov and Malkin. And truth be told, it's not just Malkin that looks lost out there. It seems to me that Pittsburgh may have had too easy of time of it out there in the first three rounds.

Now they've run into a buzzsaw, a team that plays team defense better than anyone in the NHL, and they're absolutely clueless as how to stop it.

Which is why I suggested on my blog that they try to dump and chase. :D Sounds weird given the skillset that they have. But given how Detroit has absolutely owned the neutral zone in the series, I think that's their best shot to get back into the series.

I might be looking through black and gold tinted glasses, but I really don't believe they have had it too easy in the first three rounds and all of a sudden they are now facing a 'real' opponent. We have been fortunate though I would admit; however Pittsburgh has been dominating teams since February, and that includes WC teams. The first two games in the finals they looked absolutely pathetic. They aren't playing their game. Of course, it could be that Detroit is so incredibly good that they can't play their game. We'll see tonight if they can turn the ship.

They tried to dump and chase in game two. They got the dump down but haven't got the chase figured out yet. They got beat to the puck almost every time and outplayed on the boards! But I agree, they have GOT to figure out some way to get the puck past the blue lines.

Scott D
5/28/2008, 07:48 PM

The dump and chase idea works like you said, if the chase actually works instead of just being the dump, and then chase the puck back to your own end, like it's gone so far. I think putting Sydor back in the lineup was a good move by Therrien, the Pens need defensemen who can move the puck under pressure,and Syd's always been good for that.

BTW, congrats on your boys signing Daley. We both know how I feel about that move by the twin GM's :)

GrapevineSooner
5/29/2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks, Scott.

Got the nice bump in pay from $800,000 a year to over $2 million, and he deserves it.

Also, congrats to the Pens for weathering that early storm, grabbing an early lead, and then hanging on late. If only you guys didn't have to wait around until Saturday night to play Game 4.

And yes, I'm up at 2:40 in the morning. Thanks to my wife.

Not complaining, though :D

Boomer.....
5/29/2008, 07:26 AM
What a great game last night! Very fast, hard hitting, and exciting. Hopefully the Pens can win again at home and salvage the series.

SteelCitySooner
5/29/2008, 09:42 AM
Booyah!! :D

Finally we're playing our game. Saturday can't get here soon enough! Game on!

Scott D
5/29/2008, 09:05 PM
Saturday is definitely going to be very interesting indeed.

SteelCitySooner
5/31/2008, 10:04 AM
I'm already nervous...can't eat..pacing around all day...can't sleep....someone set off the fire alarms in my house last night :mad:

Lets go Pens! :D

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2008, 11:05 AM
Looks like Holmstrom is good to go tonight, despite that beating he took from Gill on Wednesday.

SteelCitySooner
5/31/2008, 03:47 PM
I heard so many different stories on Holmstrom. Either he was injured because of the 'can opener' move that Gill put on him; or that he's got a sports hernia.

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2008, 09:47 PM
SERIES OVER!!!

GrapevineSooner
5/31/2008, 10:53 PM
I'm not quite ready to declare this series over.

But after four games, it's clear who the best team is. In the first three rounds, Pittsburgh all kinds of time and space. This round, notsomuch.

Especially if you give Detroit a third period lead, which is what Pittsburgh practically did tonight. That puck should have gotten out and there's no way MAF should have allowed that short side goal from Hudler.

SteelCitySooner
6/1/2008, 10:18 AM
Agreed. MAF should have never let in that soft goal....He looked his old self in parts during this game.. But it isn't his fault. We only lost by 1.

This is now looking very bleak. The biggest dissappointment is Malkin and his line. They contributed nothing, other than turnovers. Malkin himself looked more of a detriment to the team than a help. :mad: We said going in to this that there is no way we can win this without Malkin's line stepping up big..and that just never happened.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 04:48 PM
The Wings look like the best team I have seen in the NHL since the Habs' dynasties in the 60's/70's. Wire to wire this season, they just seem to be on a different level.

Sid the Kid is great for hockey, but I think tonight is going to be fun to watch and see if Hockey-town gets burned to the ground in celebration!

Scott D
6/2/2008, 06:30 PM
The Wings look like the best team I have seen in the NHL since the Habs' dynasties in the 60's/70's. Wire to wire this season, they just seem to be on a different level.

Sid the Kid is great for hockey, but I think tonight is going to be fun to watch and see if Hockey-town gets burned to the ground in celebration!

bah, the previous 3 celebrations have been peaceful and quiet. The one that had the most potential to get out of hand was the 1997 one, but the cops all over the Metro area were ready for it, and I guarantee they'll be ready this year also.

Now if it was the Pistons that were on the verge of clinching, I'd say be ready for some incidents. But, it's quality celebrating here, unlike Montreal which they would try to burn to the ground whether they won or lost. :)

tommieharris91
6/2/2008, 07:44 PM
Surprise, surprise. Pit up 2-0 early.

Cam
6/2/2008, 09:29 PM
So I see the score's 2-1 on the interweb and turn the channel thinking the Pens are going to make a legit challenge.

I turn on NBC, and three minutes later it's 3-2 Detroit.

Crosby stuffed on a 1x1 with Osgood.

Cam
6/2/2008, 09:40 PM
And the Pens tie it up at 3 with 34.3 seconds left.

colleyvillesooner
6/2/2008, 09:40 PM
Wow, pens score with :34 to to to tie it at 3

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2008, 09:55 PM
A third period for the ages.

BoomerGirl34
6/2/2008, 11:02 PM
Holy Schnikes, this is a good game. The Wizard of Cros needs to end this.

tommieharris91
6/2/2008, 11:16 PM
Goin to a 3rd OT.

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2008, 11:21 PM
I thought in the West Finals that if Dallas had been able to come back from down 0-3 to force a Game 7 that the entire state of Michigan might freak out.

They definitely will if this gets to a Game 7. Which I think it will if Pittsburgh wins this one.

Oh, and could Pierre McGuire and Mike Milbury shine the Wings knob any harder? I'm not one to normally complain about announcers, but I'm baffled as to how they could have a problem with Dan Cleary running right into MAF but honestly say that Sykora's penalty was legit.

Call for a review of the rules all you want. But if the goaltender is in the crease and you run into him without any help from a defenseman, it's a penalty.

It always has been and always will be.

BoomerGirl34
6/2/2008, 11:28 PM
These guys are completely gassed....

Soonerus
6/2/2008, 11:30 PM
This is how soccer games should conclude...

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2008, 11:32 PM
Not completely. :)

Fruits, carbs, and the occasional IV are a hockey player's best friend in a multiple OT game.

And I think it's going to take an ugly goal for Detroit to win tonight.

tommieharris91
6/2/2008, 11:32 PM
Why does the TV contract for hockey suck?

BoomerGirl34
6/2/2008, 11:33 PM
No TV timeouts in hockey.....these guys are major arsekickers.

tommieharris91
6/2/2008, 11:33 PM
Not completely. :)

Fruits, carbs, and the occasional IV are a hockey player's best friend in a multiple OT game.

And I think it's going to take an ugly goal for Detroit to win tonight.

Detroit looks like they have been getting more shots, so I would think they will get the goal.

BoomerGirl34
6/2/2008, 11:34 PM
Fleury has made some pretty saves....

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2008, 11:36 PM
IIRC, the last time a Game 5 went to a triple OT with the home team having a chance to skate the Cup, Mike Modano redirected a Brett Hull point shot past Marty Brodeur in 2000.

I remember because I was sitting in a hotel room in Niagara Falls at 1:30 in the morning.

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2008, 11:38 PM
Detroit looks like they have been getting more shots, so I would think they will get the goal.

Yeah, but it only takes one shot going back the other way.

And to hear Brett Hull tell it, the statisicians in Detroit like to fudge the numbers. Though I also think they use off ice officials from a neutral city in the playoffs.

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2008, 11:45 PM
high stick on Hudler, and it's a double minor.

Even the announcers can't argue this one.

GrapevineSooner
6/2/2008, 11:46 PM
Game 6 is necessary.

tommieharris91
6/2/2008, 11:47 PM
You can hear a pin drop at the Joe.

BoomerGirl34
6/2/2008, 11:47 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOO PENS!

Scott D
6/3/2008, 07:12 AM
Hell of a game, I'm still a little disappointed in the outcome of course. But, this team never seems to want to do things the easy way.

SoonerStormchaser
6/3/2008, 07:14 AM
Bah...I just want a game 7...

Boomer.....
6/3/2008, 07:16 AM
Hell yeah!

SteelCitySooner
6/3/2008, 07:56 AM
Wow. All I can say. What a ride last night was. Bringin it back home for game 6! Which won't be a gimme. Wings proved that they can win in the Igloo. Desperately need to pull that out, then take it back to the Joe for one last battle...where the Pens have proven they can win.

SteelCitySooner
6/3/2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Scott, any truth that to rumor going around that ya'll detroit folks already had your victory parade planned for today? :O

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2008, 08:33 AM
Chances are, parade plans for the Pens exist somewhere in city hall. Just be thankful Laura Miller's not your mayor, or those plans would have been released by now. :D

Fugue
6/3/2008, 08:38 AM
That game was awesome last night, all 30 periods. :D

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2008, 11:05 AM
From the guys at Pensblog:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SEUOGNMK6SI/AAAAAAAASBg/QZ-Oyw1gTiw/s400/-12.jpeg

SteelCitySooner
6/3/2008, 01:30 PM
heh

Boomer.....
6/3/2008, 01:50 PM
That's awesome!

SteelCitySooner
6/3/2008, 01:52 PM
Chances are, parade plans for the Pens exist somewhere in city hall. Just be thankful Laura Miller's not your mayor, or those plans would have been released by now. :D

Probably. But I doubt we had June 3rd slated for our parade date :D

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2008, 03:24 PM
So my boss is a Red Wings fan and he took last night's loss pretty hard.

And since he walks by my cube on the way to his desk everyday, I decided to create a wallpaper to console him.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2549334590_cb5922e94e.jpg

Scott D
6/3/2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Scott, any truth that to rumor going around that ya'll detroit folks already had your victory parade planned for today? :O

Honestly, I really doubt the parade would have been today. If anything it likely would have been scheduled for the beginning of next week with the option to have moved it to Thursday/Friday of this week.

But like Grape said, every city pretty much plans a parade if they think their team has a shot at winning a title in (insert sport here), most of them don't become public mainly by sheer luck. That and most areas have enough shiny objects to distract the media.

SteelCitySooner
6/4/2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah I know. I was just rubbing it in a little. Although there were Detroit blogs that leaked the plans for 3 June.. I think that became locker room material...at least it because radio talk show material here in Pittbsurgh..

Big, big, epic game tonight. It's going to be interesting to see how both teams do coming out of that 3 overtime game. You would think after that, and with each additional game, that would be advantage to Pens and their younger legs..

MAF needs to have another Godlike performance...but Malkin and his line have GOT to step it up! Malkin went from the "best player in the world" to one that is a detriment to his team almost over night.. Blogs are now saying he might have a rib injury. It did seem like he was playing better in the overtimes though. I just don't think we can do it without his line scoring some goals.

mfosterftw
6/4/2008, 10:52 AM
tjDHRabw9PI

SteelCitySooner
6/4/2008, 02:33 PM
Knobhockey...that was hilarious..

Just got tickets to the game tonight (without getting a second mortgage!!) w00t!!!

GrapevineSooner
6/4/2008, 03:23 PM
In the crease...outta the crease...in the crease...outta the crease.

mfosterftw
6/4/2008, 05:05 PM
Might want to turn the volume down on this one... has a few choice bombs in it that didn't get bleeped out.

tJNB89rROgk

Cam
6/4/2008, 09:03 PM
Knock knock. :D

Boomer.....
6/4/2008, 09:19 PM
Weak. Sauce.

Cam
6/4/2008, 09:43 PM
Wow, talk about going down to the last second.

Detroit wins the Stanley Cup.

tommieharris91
6/4/2008, 09:50 PM
Penguin fans are showing a lot of class staying for the Cup presentation.

GrapevineSooner
6/4/2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to change my desktop background at work now :D.

Anyway, I'm sure Scott, Marc, and other Wings lurkers out there (Paperclip?) are partying it up now, as they should.

And Zetterberg as the Conn Smythe winner was a very worthy choice.

Scott D
6/4/2008, 10:11 PM
Heh, I waited until after the handshakes before calling my wife (yes, I'm that superstitious). I'd like to thank the Hockey Gods for accepting Lasagna and Chicken Parmigiana as a good enough substitute for pizza. However, I'll have to save the partying for this weekend since I'm stuck in a hotel room in Ohio for another night. :D

I didn't think a game could top Game 5 for excitement, I'm damn glad to be wrong on that count. Pittsburgh is going to be super scary with some more seasoning, especially on the blue line.

Paperclip
6/4/2008, 10:35 PM
Anyway, I'm sure Scott, Marc, and other Wings lurkers out there (Paperclip?) are partying it up now, as they should.

Yep, I'm pretty happy. I about crapped a brick at the end of Game 5 and almost did again in the last two seconds tonight. The Wings are about the only major league sports team of mine that's worth a crap so this win will have to last me a while.

Scott D
6/4/2008, 10:51 PM
oh and I think that now I can skip the trip to a cardiologist. I swear a loss was going to give me chest pains.

GrapevineSooner
6/4/2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, you may both deboard the stress train. :D

Scott D
6/4/2008, 11:05 PM
and I can bask in the glory that there is NOTHING that David Stern's wet dream can do to top this series.

tommieharris91
6/4/2008, 11:19 PM
and I can bask in the glory that there is NOTHING that David Stern's wet dream can do to top this series.

'Cept go 7...

Scott D
6/4/2008, 11:42 PM
'Cept go 7...

nah, pretty much any basketball game you can keep turned off for the first 46 minutes and not miss a single thing worthwhile.

mfosterftw
6/5/2008, 07:00 AM
Well, I guess I'll have to change my desktop background at work now :D.

My wife was the bigger partier, and it's nigh impossible to enjoy a game with her when she gets riled up... I'm focusing my interests on another team at the moment... ;)

Scott D
6/5/2008, 07:23 AM
And as I mentioned a few days ago, there were no rioting or burning incidents in celebration of the win last night. Only arrests were for excessive public drunkenness.

mfosterftw
6/5/2008, 08:27 AM
And as I mentioned a few days ago, there were no rioting or burning incidents in celebration of the win last night. Only arrests were for excessive public drunkenness.

Come on... it's the Wings, not the Pistons or Tigers.

God help Detroit if the Lions ever win a Super Bowl.

There's something about sport riots and Michigan. Tigers or Pistons win a title and all hell breaks loose. Michigan State wins a big game and students riot. They lose, and students still riot. Throw in Devil's Night (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Night) (a unique form of urban renewal that actually lasts all week), and one gets a sense of just how screwy things are up there... which is a big reason why I'm down here.

SteelCitySooner
6/5/2008, 11:28 AM
Wow.. What a series. What a playoff run..What a game. I've enjoyed the sport since I've moved to Pittsburgh and went to my first live Penguin game in '98.. Loved the playoff run we had in 2001.. but I've never been more of a hockey fan as I am now. ...what a sport the game of hockey is! Plus, 4 seconds to go and 4 inches close...then that game was a tie and going to OT..again.. wow

Hats off the the Red Wings. Those guys are without doubt the best team in the NHL, and deserve the cup. Zetterberg deserved that Conn Smythe trophy also. The Wings are a class organization from top to bottom.

The experience the young Pens team got from this run should be priceless. I can't imagine this team not having a few more chances for the cup over the next 4 or 5 years. They played with heart, with grit, and never gave up, even at the bleakest of times.

Scott D
6/5/2008, 12:28 PM
Come on... it's the Wings, not the Pistons or Tigers.

God help Detroit if the Lions ever win a Super Bowl.

There's something about sport riots and Michigan. Tigers or Pistons win a title and all hell breaks loose. Michigan State wins a big game and students riot. They lose, and students still riot. Throw in Devil's Night (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Night) (a unique form of urban renewal that actually lasts all week), and one gets a sense of just how screwy things are up there... which is a big reason why I'm down here.

heh, Devil's Night is a thing of the past nowadays. Sparty students are still aggies, so enough said there. :D

GrapevineSooner
6/5/2008, 12:53 PM
Hats off the the Red Wings. Those guys are without doubt the best team in the NHL, and deserve the cup. Zetterberg deserved that Conn Smythe trophy also. The Wings are a class organization from top to bottom.

I'll admit their widespread fanbase beats me down and my dislike for them was sown in my early days as a hockey fan in the late 80's and early 90's as a Blackhawks fan.

But the Red Wings are a class organization starting with Mike Illitch through Ken Holland through Mike Babcock, all the way down to the players. They are the gold standard of the NHL when it comes to how franchises should be run.

Scott D
6/5/2008, 01:48 PM
I'll admit their widespread fanbase beats me down and my dislike for them was sown in my early days as a hockey fan in the late 80's and early 90's as a Blackhawks fan.

But the Red Wings are a class organization starting with Mike Illitch through Ken Holland through Mike Babcock, all the way down to the players. They are the gold standard of professional sports when it comes to how franchises should be run.

:D

I guess now we can all laugh at Hanky Steinbrenner getting his way with Joba's skyrocketing ERA as a starter :D

Lott's Bandana
6/5/2008, 06:40 PM

And it is interesting that I am okay with admitting this:

NBC did a remarkably good job of covering the series...with Game 5 no OT commercials, to goals captured during the live broadcast from the "SkyCam" thingy (Game 5, Det goal #2 was BEAUTIFUL from that angle), to the live interviews during the game and the good sound coverage. Rather progressive for the NHL that seems to be finally coming out of it's funk. Helped to have the traditional cities with huge fanbases as well.

Note: in game 5, an octopus was caught briefly flying gracefully through the air before the director quickly changed cameras. Announcers didn't mention it, even though it stopped play. I'm not a proponant of throwing things, sea creatures or otherwise, but I do love the octopus tradition.

Did you hear about the Wings fan that tossed one in Game 3 at the Igloo? He was removed from the arena but he had brought a change of clothes and another ticket and walked back in and watched the rest of the game...

SteelCitySooner
6/6/2008, 03:34 AM
Did you hear about the Wings fan that tossed one in Game 3 at the Igloo? He was removed from the arena but he had brought a change of clothes and another ticket and walked back in and watched the rest of the game...

Yeah and he's from Cleveland, which makes him even more of a douchbag. :D

GrapevineSooner
6/6/2008, 09:12 AM
And it is interesting that I am okay with admitting this:

NBC did a remarkably good job of covering the series...with Game 5 no OT commercials, to goals captured during the live broadcast from the "SkyCam" thingy (Game 5, Det goal #2 was BEAUTIFUL from that angle), to the live interviews during the game and the good sound coverage. Rather progressive for the NHL that seems to be finally coming out of it's funk. Helped to have the traditional cities with huge fanbases as well.

Well, I didn't care too much for Mike Milbury's interview with Alex Ovechkin during the series. Granted, I don't particularly care too much for Mikey the Moron because of the way he ran the Islanders.

And Pierre Mcguirre is apparently Newtonian Challenged if he thinks Dan Cleary had no options when he drove the net and hit MAF in the crease. You know, if you turn those skates a little sideways, they help you stop.

It's one of the first things you're taught when you learn to skate. ;)

mfosterftw
6/6/2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah and he's from Cleveland, which makes him even more of a douchbag. :D

Could be worse... you could be forced to watch Kure Kure Takora (Gimme Gimme Octopus) all summer long. Talk about Sid & Marty Kroft strung out on some freaky ****...

qSozwHahauc

Lott's Bandana
6/9/2008, 07:48 PM
Well, I didn't care too much for Mike Milbury's interview with Alex Ovechkin during the series. Granted, I don't particularly care too much for Mikey the Moron because of the way he ran the Islanders.

And Pierre Mcguirre is apparently Newtonian Challenged if he thinks Dan Cleary had no options when he drove the net and hit MAF in the crease. You know, if you turn those skates a little sideways, they help you stop.

No argument from me, GVS...I didn't like the announcing teams as well. Although, I thought the production was good.

HoserSooner
6/10/2008, 03:26 PM

McGuirre does the games on TSN up here, and he drives me up the freakin' wall with his observations throughout the game...I just wish he would shut up half the time.