PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Kelly and Reggie's workout today?

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 11:33 AM
Newbs wanna know.

;)

Collier11
4/9/2008, 11:33 AM
Someone on ouinsider posted that Kelly ran a 4.75...if thats the case that really hurts!

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 11:34 AM
Someone on ouinsider posted that Kelly ran a 4.75...if thats the case that really hurts!
Yeah, it does but Jerry Rice never ran better than that.

Collier11
4/9/2008, 11:36 AM
True, and im sure he hasnt ran much over the past 4 months so hopefully he can improve on that

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 11:41 AM
Whomever gets him is really going to get a good one. I really think he'll be our best NFL receiver or he at least has the potential.

Ash
4/9/2008, 12:22 PM
Murdoch on the Animal is reporting Malcolm didn't have a good workout. Ran an unofficial 4.76. Then went off on the coaching staff after the workout, blaming them for his poor performance and blaming them for misdiagnosing his quad injury. FWIW

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/9/2008, 12:29 PM
7.76? was he in a wheelchair?

Mad Dog Madsen
4/9/2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, it does but Jerry Rice never ran better than that.

No disrespect to Kelly, but he's no Jerry Rice...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2008, 12:31 PM
at 232 lbs, no wonder he ran slow after playing between 212 and 217

Collier11
4/9/2008, 12:32 PM
No disrespect to Kelly, but he's no Jerry Rice...

Very likely true but do you really know enough about the guy to say that he wont be great...dont think any of us do?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2008, 12:34 PM
Very likely true but do you really know enough about the guy to say that he wont be great...dont think any of us do?

He does..He talked to Kelly's brother :D

Dallas
4/9/2008, 12:37 PM
I hope the kid understands he lost millions.

Here you have a guy w/ the talent of MK and he can't get into shape to run a real 40?

Why on earth would you be running at 238 lbs? Was he even working out?

It does not appear so.

Lost millions. WoW. I wish him the best. I am getting beat to heck defending him over at our Dallas boards.

I don't know how to do that now. =(

Mad Dog Madsen
4/9/2008, 12:38 PM
heh... good one

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/9/2008, 12:40 PM
I hope the kid understands he lost millions.

Here you have a guy w/ the talent of MK and he can't get into shape to run a real 40?

Why on earth would you be running at 238 lbs? Was he even working out?

It does not appear so.

Lost millions. WoW. I wish him the best. I am getting beat to heck defending him over at our Dallas boards.

I don't know how to do that now. =(

he hired maurice clarett as his trainer?

Mad Dog Madsen
4/9/2008, 12:40 PM

I wasn't necessarily sayin that. I just meant it's just way too soon to tell anything. MK is one of my favorite sooners and I wish him the best of luck...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2008, 12:45 PM
Kelly was training a guy in Atlanta..He said Kelly gained 20 lbs of muscle and that his body fat was less than 4 percent...So its sounds like they did the weight gain on purpose...

bosworthsteroidmafia
4/9/2008, 12:51 PM
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information in this thread.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/9/2008, 12:54 PM
So what about Reggie? Anybody heard anything on him?

Ash
4/9/2008, 12:58 PM
I don't remember what Reggie ran, but the reports are that his workout went pretty good. 39" vertical, 10' broad jump, IIRC.

Ash
4/9/2008, 12:59 PM

LOL. Thanks for catching that.

toast
4/9/2008, 01:10 PM

someone on ouinsider posted 4.65

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 01:12 PM

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 01:20 PM
Also heard that Malcom was ripping the OU staff for mis diagnosing his injury originally and changing where the 40 times were being held at the last minute, supposedly.

perculator
4/9/2008, 01:23 PM
Murdoch on the Animal is reporting Malcolm didn't have a good workout. Ran an unofficial 4.76. Then went off on the coaching staff after the workout, blaming them for his poor performance and blaming them for misdiagnosing his quad injury. FWIW

i've wondered how his injury wasn't caught earlier. apparently we didn't even do an mri on it. this isn't the first injury to be diagnosed wrong.......hopefully our doctor's and smitty pay better attention.
we don't want to give the impression that we don't take care of our players right.

NormanPride
4/9/2008, 01:37 PM
Maybe if Kelly didn't take every other play off he wouldn't be as worried about the fact that he ate himself into a TE costing him money.

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 01:37 PM
Marcus Walker ran a 4.4 40, so it wasn't a 'slow track'

Pfunk
4/9/2008, 01:47 PM
Where did you see that Marcus ran a 4.4?

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 01:48 PM
Reported on the Sports animal, like the rest of the stuff on this post

Pfunk
4/9/2008, 01:50 PM
The number i saw was on ouinsider, 4.6

SoonerTroll
4/9/2008, 01:55 PM
well i think we can safely say that MK has dug himself into a whole with not only the poor performance, but the way he handled himself with the media. Even if he did feel that he was misdiagnosed, it should have been something he talked about privately with the staff and not blamed them publicly.

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 02:00 PM
Insiders is full of Jock sniffers

Pfunk
4/9/2008, 02:06 PM
Insiders is full of Jock sniffers

Does that mean the information over there is more or less accurate than that heard on the Sports Animal?

Civicus_Sooner
4/9/2008, 02:08 PM
Does that mean the information over there is more or less accurate than that heard on the Sports Animal?Very often so.

OUSuperman
4/9/2008, 02:14 PM
Kelly 4.68, weighed in at 227

http://newsok.com/article/3227634/1207765302

Kelly not pleased with OU after pro day

By Jake Trotter
Staff Writer

NORMAN — Former Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly didn't have the pro day performance Wednesday that he wanted.

And he's putting some of the blame on OU.

Kelly, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.68 seconds, said he wasn't told by the OU strength staff until this morning that the location of the pro day had been moved from Astroturf in the Mosier Center to field turf inside the Everest Indoor Training Center.

"I had everything set up for where I wanted to do it at," Kelly said. "I get up here this morning and it's a whole different deal. This is my life. It's got to do with me and my family. This is what I do, play football, and I'm supposed to run as fast as I can. I was slipping all over the place during my drill work. I can't say I'm pleased with anything today."

Kelly said he had been preparing for the last month to test on Astroturf and was running the 40 in under 4.5 seconds on that surface.

"People want to say surface is surface, but it's a lot more to it than that," Kelly said. "You have to think about how much ground time you have running on this mushy surface here and how much ground time you have on Astroturf.

"Just a little bit of time could mean a whole lot of draft money."

Kelly, who measured in at 6-foot-4 and 227 pounds, reached 32 inches in the vertical jump and 9 feet, 9 inches in the long jump. He posted times of 4.24 in the short shuttle and 7.00 in the three-cone drill.

Kelly looked sharp running routes and catching the ball during receiver drills.

He is flying to Cincinnati to meet with Bengals personnel later today.

Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski was among the more than 30 coaches and scouts who attended OU's second pro day, which included former Sooner defensive back Reggie Smith, tight end Joe Jon Finley and cornerback Marcus Walker.

NormanPride
4/9/2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think I can roll my eyes hard enough at that.

RacerX
4/9/2008, 02:24 PM
http://www.umbrellavideo.com/images/wahmbulance.jpg

Collier11
4/9/2008, 02:24 PM
what a frickin baby, he wouldnt be getting drafted if it werent for OU and he is making excuses against them! Weak!

silverwheels
4/9/2008, 02:31 PM
Titty baby.

NormanPride
4/9/2008, 02:36 PM
I always hate myself when I badmouth players like this. I mean, that kid gave us three great years of fun. He sacrificed a lot to give us that fun, and I don't want to disrespect all the work that he put out.

However, it's hard not to pile on when stuff like this comes out. If Stoops was complaining that the WVU game was hard because Glendale is dry or because all of a sudden the Fiesta Bowl committee changed the lunch menu, I'd call him on it. Weak. Sauce.

primetime43
4/9/2008, 02:37 PM
I sure hope that he gets to play on Astro Turf every Sunday! Are you kidding me? Suck it up and be a professional!

boomersooner28
4/9/2008, 02:53 PM
Sooo MK is coming back for his senior year at ou? ;)

The_Red_Patriot
4/9/2008, 03:14 PM
I just heard the same. John Hoover(OU beat writer Tulsa World) said he was in Schmidt's face and then told the medical staff he would be nowhere if had listened to them in the fiesta bowl. They told him his injury was a bruise and to just tough it out......it turned out to be a tear.

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2008, 03:40 PM
People on Insider are saying the scouts picked the location of the run, not OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for a great 3 years MK...Next please.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2008, 03:58 PM
Does anybody know why Eric Crouch was the one throwing passes today for the OU workout?

bosworthsteroidmafia
4/9/2008, 03:59 PM
I just heard the same. John Hoover(OU beat writer Tulsa World) said he was in Schmidt's face and then told the medical staff he would be nowhere if had listened to them in the fiesta bowl. They told him his injury was a bruise and to just tough it out......it turned out to be a tear.

This may be a stretch, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that maybe this is the reason so many Sooners have seemed to be injured right out of college in the last 10 years. I know others have mentioned this theory before - it's as if their joints and ligaments have already taken an excruciating pounding and are ready to snap by the time they get to the pros. How long has Schmidty been the strength coach?

Collier11
4/9/2008, 04:00 PM
maybe he is trying to get back in the NFL?

SouthFortySooner
4/9/2008, 04:01 PM
I can't see where those statements could help him. If you're a personnel director looking at them don't you see excuse rather than reason.?

jccouger
4/9/2008, 05:23 PM
This may be a stretch, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that maybe this is the reason so many Sooners have seemed to be injured right out of college in the last 10 years. I know others have mentioned this theory before - it's as if their joints and ligaments have already taken an excruciating pounding and are ready to snap by the time they get to the pros. How long has Schmidty been the strength coach?

Interesting theory.

MojoRisen
4/9/2008, 05:33 PM
Playing college football, the work outs , injuries, training and playing takes a toll on people.. It is football - I think my brother went in running a 4-6 flat at FS and ended up running a 5-flat at SS outside Linebacker... Several surgeries and scopes - they really do take their toll. Just last year walker ran a 4-4 flat - big difference. Perhaps the field turf to the astro turf is about a tenth of a second.

Pigface1
4/9/2008, 05:49 PM

I was wondering the same things, too.

Pigface1
4/9/2008, 05:53 PM
what a frickin baby, he wouldnt be getting drafted if it werent for OU and he is making excuses against them! Weak!

No doubt about it. I'd still like to know the truth behind him having a tear and supposedly being refused an MRI before the Fiesta Bowl, though. That's what the sports animal was saying, anyway. I take it all w/ some salt, but damn.. 4.6x and 4.7x?! That's absurd.

Pigface1
4/9/2008, 05:58 PM

[Malcolm Kelly]Let me sit sideways in the wheel chair. [/Malcolm Kelly]

The Oklahoman article(s) should be interesting tomorrow. :pop:

Breadburner
4/9/2008, 06:47 PM
Sounds like he is morphing into Terrel Owens......

badger
4/9/2008, 06:55 PM
I just heard about this (NP already gave me the "welcome to yesterday" look, so no need for that).

MK can make some insane catches. He is a very talented receiver in that he has great hands. If that doesn't make him an NFL calibur receiver, I don't know what would.

Unfortunately, it is apparent that something is wrong, either with MK or with Schmitty. We have heard past stories of Schmitty screwing OU players over on pro day and I hope this isn't another one of those situations.

However, I think MK just had a bad day and was upset about it. He got dealt a bad situation that will effect his draft status. Tough break, yes, but his pal AD had a tough break around draft time last year, too, when he only ran 75 yards in the Fiesta Bowl after being out injured most of the last part of the season. AD missed out on a Heisman and a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick because of that disappointing injury.

But, AD is now the top running back in the NFL. MK can be the top receiver, but he better not be caught with this type of attitude in public again, or that will scare NFL teams more than a slower than expected 40 yard time.

bluedogok
4/9/2008, 09:07 PM
People on Insider are saying the scouts picked the location of the run, not OU.
That would make sense, I don't think any NFL teams still play on the old AstroTurf carpet, they are all Field Turf (or clone) or natural grass or a hybrid of the two (like Green Bay). If the scouts picked the surface, then it would give them a more accurate reading.

Octavian
4/9/2008, 10:03 PM
NFL teams shouldn't worry about his MK's sprint time. The guy will create space and make catches. No doubt about it.

And Malcolm shouldn't be worried about OU's facilities...since, apparently, they were sufficient enough for Marcus Walker to avoid a Clarett-style tankjob.

Nope, NFL franchises should be worried that every time they're in a big game, little Malcolm has a hangnail or a tooth ache and "just can't make it."

Ash
4/9/2008, 10:07 PM
Nobodys mentioned the fact that he came in 20 lbs heavier and his final weigh in was at something like 227. He dropped some weight at the end, but might that have also made him slower?

Theskipster
4/10/2008, 01:58 AM
I wonder what the scouts wrote about his crying to the media in their reports?

Probably something like:
"Has difficulty with composure when situations are not favorable."

Edit: Just saw this on Newsok.com

According to Mossman, Gil Brandt of NFL.com phoned OU athletic director Joe Castiglione on Wednesday afternoon and said that he and the other scouts would've added time to Kelly's 40 had he run on AstroTurf to account for the faster surface.

Full article about it all http://newsok.com/article/3227938/1207806428

One other thought. Does being a whining prima donna wide receiver actually make him more attractive to the Bengals?

birddog
4/10/2008, 02:33 AM
welp, read the full article and it's disappointing to see him trash his school before he's even drafted.

badger
4/10/2008, 02:33 AM
Here's a video of MK after practice:
Linky (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1496480640)

From the looks of it, it's not as bad as some have made it out to be.

colleyvillesooner
4/10/2008, 02:44 AM
So he went and got an MRI on his own after the Fiesta Bowl?

Man, that doesn't look good on the program when your Top player in the draft calls out your training staff like that.

devOUt
4/10/2008, 02:51 AM
He trains in atlanta for 3 months and comes in 15 lbs heavier - it must be OU's fault.

Pigface1
4/10/2008, 03:58 AM
Here's a video of MK after practice:
Linky (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1496480640)

From the looks of it, it's not as bad as some have made it out to be.

Thanks for the vid. . yeah, all things considered, he looks pretty composed.

Pigface1
4/10/2008, 03:59 AM
So he went and got an MRI on his own after the Fiesta Bowl?

Man, that doesn't look good on the program when your Top player in the draft calls out your training staff like that.

I agree. . every year it seems like there's something coming out about Schmidt. Obviously he gets the guys bigger, but where there's smoke there's fire.

cheezyq
4/10/2008, 04:52 AM
Does being a whining prima donna wide receiver actually make him more attractive to the Bengals?

I'm not sure, but I hear Jerry Jones is heavily interested in drafting MK. ;) In other news, Bill Parcels re-announced his retirement from coaching football.

starrca23
4/10/2008, 05:05 AM
Is MK starting to remind anyone of Keyshan Johnson?

bosworthsteroidmafia
4/10/2008, 05:42 AM
I just heard about this (NP already gave me the "welcome to yesterday" look, so no need for that).

MK can make some insane catches. He is a very talented receiver in that he has great hands. If that doesn't make him an NFL calibur receiver, I don't know what would.

Unfortunately, it is apparent that something is wrong, either with MK or with Schmitty. We have heard past stories of Schmitty screwing OU players over on pro day and I hope this isn't another one of those situations.

However, I think MK just had a bad day and was upset about it. He got dealt a bad situation that will effect his draft status. Tough break, yes, but his pal AD had a tough break around draft time last year, too, when he only ran 75 yards in the Fiesta Bowl after being out injured most of the last part of the season. AD missed out on a Heisman and a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick because of that disappointing injury.

But, AD is now the top running back in the NFL. MK can be the top receiver, but he better not be caught with this type of attitude in public again, or that will scare NFL teams more than a slower than expected 40 yard time.

Which other players has Schmitty supposedly screwed over on pro day? And how?

JLEW1818
4/10/2008, 06:39 AM
Maybe since he big leagued the coaches during the season, the decided to do the same to him. Wild guess. bout the running conditions. Even if it was on grass, they did not have cleats for him? or flats were not allowed ... idk. sounds like there's more to this case.

Collier11
4/10/2008, 07:23 AM
Maybe since he big leagued the coaches during the season, the decided to do the same to him. Wild guess. bout the running conditions. Even if it was on grass, they did not have cleats for him? or flats were not allowed ... idk. sounds like there's more to this case.

Lets make this easy to understand

MK gets mad during game at CU for not even being thrown a pass, somewhat sulks the rest of the season

MK gets hurt prior to Fiesta Bowl, the initial diagnosis is only a deep thigh bruise which is downgraded to thigh strain within 48 hrs, he ended up having a tear

MK doesnt practice once before Fiesta Bowl game, despite this he takes it as the coaches are lying to him about his injury and he could have hurt himself worse

Head trainer, coach, and Head of conditioning all say that the recovery and treatment for a strain is virtually same as for tear...you rest

MK says he could have played in Fiesta Bowl had he known it was a tear, Coach Stoops quickly calls that foolish and unreal

The day of his pro day the track is changed from his preference of astro turf("which he was mentally prepared for" :rolleyes: ) to field turf by NFL SCOUTS, NOT OU. MK says that he should have been told earlier, Scouts and OU say it was changed the morning of and OU had no say in it. The field turf is nearly exact same surface that players run on at the Combine and the appropriate surface, MK cries anyway

MK runs a ****ty time at with too much weight on his body as well, blames it on OU and surface...Stoops says he is out of line

NFL scouts say even if he had ran 4.4-4.5 on astro turf they would have adjusted the time appropriately so his time would have been virtually the same, MK cries anyway

MK likely still gets drafted 1st or 2nd rd but still takes a major hit to his character for being a whiny baby...The End!

Curly Bill
4/10/2008, 08:11 AM
Lets make this easy to understand

MK gets mad during game at CU for not even being thrown a pass, somewhat sulks the rest of the season

MK gets hurt prior to Fiesta Bowl, the initial diagnosis is only a deep thigh bruise which is downgraded to thigh strain within 48 hrs, he ended up having a tear

MK doesnt practice once before Fiesta Bowl game, despite this he takes it as the coaches are lying to him about his injury and he could have hurt himself worse

Head trainer, coach, and Head of conditioning all say that the recovery and treatment for a strain is virtually same as for tear...you rest

MK says he could have played in Fiesta Bowl had he known it was a tear, Coach Stoops quickly calls that foolish and unreal

The day of his pro day the track is changed from his preference of astro turf("which he was mentally prepared for" :rolleyes: ) to field turf by NFL SCOUTS, NOT OU. MK says that he should have been told earlier, Scouts and OU say it was changed the morning of and OU had no say in it. The field turf is nearly exact same surface that players run on at the Combine and the appropriate surface, MK cries anyway

MK runs a ****ty time at with too much weight on his body as well, blames it on OU and surface...Stoops says he is out of line

NFL scouts say even if he had ran 4.4-4.5 on astro turf they would have adjusted the time appropriately so his time would have been virtually the same, MK cries anyway

MK likely still gets drafted 1st or 2nd rd but still takes a major hit to his character for being a whiny baby...The End!

The End! ??? Ha, you've been on this board long enough to know that "the end," is rarely really the end. :P

...just wait and see. ;)

Collier11
4/10/2008, 08:28 AM
I know its not the end in that sense, just the end of what actually happened! You know where im coming from damnit! ;)

TexasLidig8r
4/10/2008, 08:54 AM
The wailing and gnashing of teeth on here would be of biblical proportions if this was Limas Sweed, whining and bitching about the Texas coaching staff.

Collier11
4/10/2008, 08:57 AM
The wailing and gnashing of teeth on here would be of biblical proportions if this was Limas Sweed, whining and bitching about the Texas coaching staff.

Your point? We hate Texas, what do you expect? :D

badger
4/10/2008, 09:34 AM
Which other players has Schmitty supposedly screwed over on pro day? And how?

Ok, then, and I'll let others chime in who know more details:

A few years back - about the time of the last championship, we had a star kicker. He planned to work out on OU's Pro Day and Schmitty told him when to be where, etc. When the guy got there, exactly as Schmitty said, the doors were locked and he was left out of OU's Pro Day.

I don't think that this was ever put on the record anywhere, so you'll have to ask around the message boards to confirm this or hear any other details. I might have heard this wrong - maybe it was a different position player - but I am quite sure that it went by Jerry Schmidt.

Oh, and as long as we're talking about him, this is his Wikipedia page right now:

"Schmidt was a 1980 graduate of Harvard High School in Harvard, Nebraska. He then attended the University of Nebraska, where he graduated in 1986. He also is the Biggest Badass Ever."

Ok, just had to share that. I swear I'm not just pulling this story out of thin air, but I don't remember where I heard it and I couldn't find anything confirming it,kind of like the sources saying Oklahoma State's going to get Bill Self, lol. So, any clarification on this would be appreciated so that if false, I can wipe it off my memory bank on "evil schmitty stories"

Collier11
4/10/2008, 09:41 AM
Ok, then, and I'll let others chime in who know more details:

A few years back - about the time of the last championship, we had a star kicker. He planned to work out on OU's Pro Day and Schmitty told him when to be where, etc. When the guy got there, exactly as Schmitty said, the doors were locked and he was left out of OU's Pro Day.

I don't think that this was ever put on the record anywhere, so you'll have to ask around the message boards to confirm this or hear any other details. I might have heard this wrong - maybe it was a different position player - but I am quite sure that it went by Jerry Schmidt.

Oh, and as long as we're talking about him, this is his Wikipedia page right now:

"Schmidt was a 1980 graduate of Harvard High School in Harvard, Nebraska. He then attended the University of Nebraska, where he graduated in 1986. He also is the Biggest Badass Ever."

Ok, just had to share that. I swear I'm not just pulling this story out of thin air, but I don't remember where I heard it and I couldn't find anything confirming it,kind of like the sources saying Oklahoma State's going to get Bill Self, lol. So, any clarification on this would be appreciated so that if false, I can wipe it off my memory bank on "evil schmitty stories"

maybe this is true maybe it isnt, but realize that the scouts decide who works out, not schmitty or Stoops

colleyvillesooner
4/10/2008, 10:11 AM

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9783/12249879400x400yh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Like it is on Hornfans right now about this?

And Ya'll would be distancing from the asshat just like we are :D

TexasLidig8r
4/11/2008, 03:39 AM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9783/12249879400x400yh9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Like it is on Hornfans right now about this?

And Ya'll would be distancing from the asshat just like we are :D

That's COLONEL Obvious to you! (I got a promotion).

Want to trade S & C coaches? You get Tits McGee.. we get the most Hated Assistant Coach in the Big XII.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2008, 03:48 AM
No but I bet Malcolm wishes he could trade agents right now. Or at least he should.

Theskipster
4/11/2008, 04:19 AM
Malcolm Kelly gave an interview the day after at a Tyler Tx radio station.
http://www.ktbbaudio.com/cowboys/sbguestinterview2.mp3 where he kind of apologizes but not really.

Most amazing to me is he plans on running again Sunday. This time it will be in Atlanta on the turf he wants to run on. And no NFL scouts will be allowed to attend. He will then distribute tapes and notes to the NFL teams.

His agent and trainer are completely clueless. I like Malcolm but I think most of this is all because he is getting bad advice from these two and believes it over people like Stoops who have a clue.

Edit: I also read this is the New York Times NFL Blog

In N.F.L. circles, Stoops is one of the most respected college coaches, and if Kelly thinks a verbal back-and-forth with Stoops two weeks before the draft is the way to endear himself to N.F.L. teams, he’s in for an unpleasant surprise on draft day.

badger
4/11/2008, 05:14 AM
MK sounded better today. His attitude raises questions about how he'll act in the NFL about his team, as well as questions about our strength and training staff, but I'm glad that he did a follow-up interview to cool off and clarify.

It's easy to call him a whiner or a traitor or something, but he has a lot on the line these weeks - probably more on the line than all of us will have during the same time. He probably has a lot of family members relying on him now and he probably feels the pressure.

Here's hoping he has a good second run and he lightens up a little. In his interview, he still sounded frustrated at his time.

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2008, 05:48 AM
I don't get why the scouts would be impressed with a new, faster time on tape, on a surface you never run on in the NFL, with no scouts present.

He ran a bad time, and blamed everyone but himself. I hope he lands with a good team, and makes OU proud, but I don't like the way he threw the school under the bus, heat of the moment or not.

Every recruit heard/read that and him mellowing on it the next day has zero effect on that.

Collier11
4/11/2008, 06:01 AM
I listened to his interview and I see what he was saying and I feel alot better about him than I did yesterday, I thought he manned up.

cvsooner
4/11/2008, 02:43 PM
And apparently he'll be running at OU again on April 16, according to profootballtalk.com:

"...agent Chad Speck says that the report that receiver Malcolm Kelly will run the 40-yard dash in Atlanta on Sunday without scouts present is flat-out wrong. Instead, Speck says that Kelly will run again, for scouts, on April 16 in Oklahoma.

"Kelly will run on the Astroturf surface on which he’d been preparing to run before this week’s Pro Day workout, during which he ultimately ran on FieldTurf. Though Kelly presumably realizes that scouts will add time to his outcome on the faster surface, there’s a chance that, even with added time, his final number will come out faster on the surface on which he feels more comfortable.

"The fact that Kelly is running again at Oklahoma suggests that an effort has been made between the player and the program to mend fences. Even though it wasn’t wise for Kelly to bad-mouth his school, it’s also not good for Oklahoma to be perceived as unfriendly to the pro prospects of its recruits, or its recruits will end up going elsewhere."

colleyvillesooner
4/11/2008, 04:03 PM
Now THAT's a step towards undoing some damage...

Collier11
4/11/2008, 04:08 PM
Im sure at some point weve all said something stupid then woke up the next day and wanted to punch ourselves in the face...way to be a man bout it MK

Civicus_Sooner
4/11/2008, 04:13 PM
Well, if a QB, a QB mind you, can score a single digit on the wonderlic test and still get drafted in the first round, I have a hunch Malcom kelly will be just fine.

Collier11
4/14/2008, 01:42 PM
Here is what Peter King from SI.com had to say about it

2. "I think it's been a long time since a player opened his mouth and cost himself so much money in the draft. That's what is going to happen to Oklahoma wideout Malcolm Kelly if he doesn't find some way to temper his remarks about running a bad time because his university handed him a different track to run his 40-yard dash on than the one he wanted to run on.

I've never met Kelly, so I don't want to say, "What an idiot.'' But I am tempted. Here's the biggest point I'd make: Surfaces in the NFL vary from practice facility to practice facility. Obviously it's important that a wideout run on a fast track. But wherever a prospect runs, the scouts are going to take into account if the surface is slower than the surface the other receivers used. Kelly comes off as a whiner, and if I were Buffalo coach Dick Jauron or Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis -- whose teams are eyeing receivers in the first round and have shown significant interest in Kelly -- I'd steer clear."

colleyvillesooner
4/14/2008, 01:44 PM
OUCH

trey
4/14/2008, 03:51 PM
is that the reason he didn't show up at the fiesta bowl the past two years? he didn't like the surface.

leematthews
4/14/2008, 04:53 PM
Should've just done the combine

bluedogok
4/14/2008, 10:14 PM
is that the reason he didn't show up at the fiesta bowl the past two years? he didn't like the surface.
UoP Stadium is natural grass, not that much different than Owen Field other than the fact that it grows outside and is rolled inside for games.

Ash
4/14/2008, 10:30 PM
UoP Stadium is natural grass, not that much different than Owen Field other than the fact that it grows outside and is rolled inside for games.

I think it was an attempt at caustic humor.

;)

Breadburner
4/14/2008, 10:46 PM
Well, if a QB, a QB mind you, can score a single digit on the wonderlic test and still get drafted in the first round, I have a hunch Malcom kelly will be just fine.

Vince Young...?

Big Red Ron
4/14/2008, 11:10 PM
Vince Young...?Yeah, you know the guy that threw 14 ints vs 9 tds last year? Lemme guess, you scored even less than he did.
:texan: