PDA

View Full Version : Nichol: leaving no option

gh55
4/9/2008, 05:54 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectID=231&articleID=20080409_2_B1_hSoph27460

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
4/9/2008

Sophomore quarterback says he's at OU for the long haul.

NORMAN -- Keith Nichol fans, take heart. Your man's not going anywhere.

"I'm not backing down," Nichol says.

Oklahoma is one college football program that doesn't appear to have an open quarterback competition. Sam Bradford began writing his chapter in the Sooner encyclopedia last season with a record-setting redshirt freshman campaign. That projects to three more years as OU's starting quarterback.

Nichol last season was a first-year freshman. That projects to three more years as Bradford's backup.

But those who expect Nichol to bail out, take his ball and go play somewhere else are getting ahead of themselves.

"I would never back down just because somebody had a good year," Nichol said. "A lot of stuff changes, especially in college football.

"Everything can change in a flash, and you can't be looking at it like, 'I'm not going to play my whole college career,' " he said. "You can't look at it like that. I could be going in first play, first game. You've just got to be ready for whatever happens."

Nichol is still growing as a quarterback, and after two scrimmages this spring, he still appears to be behind senior-to-be Joey Halzle. In OU's first two major scrimmages, Halzle was the second quarterback behind Bradford.

Halzle's numbers are markedly better this spring. Going into Saturday's Red / White Game, Halzle is 20-of-34 for 234 yards. He has zero touchdowns, but also hasn't been intercepted. Nichol is 7-of-24 for 113 yards with no TDs and three interceptions. He was disappointed with a 2-of-9, two-interception performance in the first scrimmage, so last week he went 5-of-15 with one pick.

"I wanted to come out from last weekend and just show everybody how much I've improved," Nichol said. "I made some bad plays, kind of threw myself off just by forcing stuff. I didn't play very good, so I just tried to bounce back and play like me, not play like anybody else. And I thought I did that."

Nichol came to OU from Lowell, Mich., after decommitting from Michigan State. The Sooners suddenly had an opening when Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team and Paul Thompson was finishing his senior season. Halzle, then a junior college transfer, and Bradford, then a redshirting rookie, were the only QBs on the roster.

Then came Bradford's 2007. A school record (and a national crown) for efficiency rating. A major college freshman record for touchdown passes (36). A Big 12 championship.

Nichol said the month between last summer's wide-open competition and the second week of the regular season, when Bradford threw five touchdowns against Miami, was a tough time.

"I had my disappointment. I'm not going to lie," Nichol said. "But the team did good. Sam played well. Overall, I was happy. From a selfish, personal standpoint, I was a little disappointed I wasn't playing."

Nichol is more comfortable, but he's not going to take Bradford's job simply by practicing well. For now, he's still got Halzle ahead of him. (Halzle got into nine games last season, Nichol played in three).

The reality is that if Bradford stays healthy and has playmakers around him, he'll be a four-year starter. With that, Nichol has some op tions. The '08 season is Halzle's last, so Nichol can keep competing as Bradford's backup and get playing time as it comes (like Nate Hybl and Jason White). Or he can redshirt a season and try to be the starter in 2011 (like Paul Thompson). Or he can look for greener pastures (like Tommy Grady, who said he immediately regretted leaving in 2005 for Utah).

Nichol says the latter is not an option.

"A lot of people ask that question, 'Why aren't you going somewhere?' I love OU," he said. "I love the people here. First and foremost, worst-case scenario, you get a free education. That's really not a bad deal. But I'm staying for a lot of reasons.

"I'm here to compete. I'm not going to back down. If I had to transfer, I would have to compete for a starting spot. I'm not going to sit here and just compete for a second, third or fourth. I'm here for the top."

Jacie
4/9/2008, 06:17 AM
Very encouraging to read about a young man (one of OUrs!) who understands that A) There are no guarantees in life or football and B) Conditions can change in a single play (Jason White's knees, Rhett Bomar's stupidity, Sam Bradford's tackle at sand aggie).

Hang in there Nichol! Your time will come!

XFollower
4/9/2008, 07:29 AM
Ask Tommy Grady on bailing out. The grass is not always greener.

batonrougesooner
4/9/2008, 08:05 AM
He will do well in life.

BermudaSooner
4/9/2008, 08:43 AM
Good attitude...now if he'd stop throwing picks in practice he might get somewhere.

OUmillenium
4/9/2008, 08:52 AM
Or that he actually values getting a "free education."

SoonerTroll
4/9/2008, 10:40 AM
Hey i can't start a thread about this so i will just ask here.. has anyone heard anything about kelly's workout today in norman???

stoops the eternal pimp
4/9/2008, 10:53 AM
good for him...pretty smart really...When's the last time a quarterback started all four years at OU?

MojoRisen
4/9/2008, 11:32 AM
He needs to redshirt this year if he is still behind Joey...

4/9/2008, 12:01 PM
good for him...pretty smart really...When's the last time a quarterback started all four years at OU?

Jamell? He didn't start for four games his first year, but when Troy went down against Miami, he was solid for a long time for us.

I can't think of another that played longer.

4/9/2008, 12:05 PM
Steve Davis?

bosworthsteroidmafia
4/9/2008, 12:18 PM
Hopefully Landry Jones comes in with the same positive attitude because he's gonna have to take a number as well.

rainiersooner
4/9/2008, 01:24 PM
One thing that has always impressed me with USC is how they are able to keep good/great players satisfied with being back-ups (maybe its because they pay them!!)...so I'm glad to see guys like Nichol stick with us, as opposed to Grady or Tashard Choice (and I'm not blaming them for leaving per se...I just think it's better when we can keep great players).

Piware
4/9/2008, 01:28 PM
Great news - very mature response.

illinisooner
4/9/2008, 03:52 PM
I've met Keith, he's very mature and a good kid...hopefully good things will happen for him. That sort of attitude really helps out when you're competing with other guys for playing time.

snp
4/9/2008, 04:50 PM
One thing that has always impressed me with USC is how they are able to keep good/great players satisfied with being back-ups (maybe its because they pay them!!)...so I'm glad to see guys like Nichol stick with us, as opposed to Grady or Tashard Choice (and I'm not blaming them for leaving per se...I just think it's better when we can keep great players).

Tashard Choice had family circumstances he needed to help with back home.

rainiersooner
4/9/2008, 05:02 PM
I Didn't know that about Choice. I had read in the media it was because he didn't see himself getting any play time behind AD. Like I said though, I don't blame a player for leaving...it's just nice to see them stay. I'm glad to see Choice looks like he's going to get drafted.

TMcGee86
4/9/2008, 05:44 PM
Man, Nichol is my new favorite player.

What an awesome article.

If he were a poster, I would give him spek.

badger
4/9/2008, 06:48 PM
We needed this one after hearing about MK

AlbqSooner
4/9/2008, 08:07 PM
"If I had to transfer, I would have to compete for a starting spot."

Sounds like he understands more than Grady did.

goingoneight
4/9/2008, 10:02 PM
The only time I can ever really look at a good player and literally tell him leaving is a good decision is when he's in a situation like Nate Hybl and Mitch Mustain were. They're leaving programs on a downward spiral, heading for big-time programs with great futures who need you. Transferring to JUCO State or some other form of aggy to "compete" for "playing time" is about as smart as a rock.

tulsaoilerfan
4/9/2008, 11:13 PM
Steve Davis?

Nope; Dave Robertson in 72, Davis in 73-75

tulsaoilerfan
4/9/2008, 11:15 PM
To the best of my memory, OU has never had a 4 yr starter at QB; Jamelle was only the starter for 1 complete season; he took over for Aikman in 85, started all of 86, got hurt in the next to last game of 87, and started 3-4 games in 88

Blues1
4/9/2008, 11:55 PM
Glad to see our QB position Looks very Good for the next 4 years...Just been Lurking - The Old Bluesman is Still Rockin' ---- :)

oupride
4/10/2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the post!

soonerfan28
4/10/2008, 07:23 AM
Anybody think Bradford will go pro this year? I wouldn't mind it if Nichols or Jones steps up. I hate having to see a good player sit on the bench, but I don't hate having Bradford at all.

snp
4/10/2008, 07:39 AM
Anybody think Bradford will go pro this year? I wouldn't mind it if Nichols or Jones steps up. I hate having to see a good player sit on the bench, but I don't hate having Bradford at all.

No chance.

MojoRisen
4/10/2008, 07:39 AM
Maybe if we win the NC and he gets the Heisman - even then I doubt it.

I wouldn't think any sooner than his RSJunior Season- If Nichol redshirts that gives him 2 years to play here.

soonerfan28
4/10/2008, 08:28 AM
Just thought I would ask. I would agree that if we one the NC this year he may consider it, but his Junior year for sure. I can't see risking injury for 4 straight years if you have the physical tools and our o-line in 2009 is going to be somewhat rebuilt.

4/10/2008, 09:22 AM
What a fun thread.

Holy crap! Look at our list of all-Americans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_football

That is just OBSCENE!

Blues1
4/10/2008, 02:50 PM
Bud Wilkinson 1947-1963 145–29–4 82.6% 29–11 3 93–9–3 **90%** 33–9 14 6–2 28–28–1

Bud's --- Winning Percentage ---- 90% ------- :)

Bob Stoops --- 84% --He's catching up...!!!

Still R'

arizonasooner
4/11/2008, 09:11 PM
Jeez, OU is set at the QB position for the forseeable future, no????

olevetonahill
4/11/2008, 11:51 PM
Ask Tommy Grady on bailing out. The grass is not always greener.

Article Said TG regretted it almost as soon as he did it !
Pay tention .

goingoneight
4/12/2008, 12:56 AM
I think no matter who the QB was going to be, it was going to be a long and rough year in 2005 anyway. How do you win when your All-American RB is held under 60 yards, your receivers are all n00bs who can't catch, your defense and OL are patchwork?
The only thing that would have been cool about TG staying is he could have easily beaten out "fumbles" Bomar in the first few games when he was OUr only option and he was god-awful. Then "Rhomar" family transfers out of frustration and likely no probation. YAY!!!