View Full Version : Conoco and British Petroleum announce massive joint venture

Frozen Sooner
4/8/2008, 09:21 PM
BP joins Conoco Phillips in gas pipeline plan

By WESLEY LOY
[email protected]

Published: April 8th, 2008 04:56 PM
Last Modified: April 8th, 2008 04:58 PM

JUNEAU - BP announced this morning it will join Conoco Phillips to plan a natural gas pipeline from the North Slope through Canada.

Story tools

Comments

E-mail a friend

Print

Digg this

Seed Newsvine

Send link via AIM

Add to My Yahoo!

Font size : A | A | A

Conoco in November had announced a plan for a pipeline, but BP and Conoco executives said today in Anchorage that this is a fresh plan.

A third company, Exxon Mobil - the largest Slope gas holder - remains on the sideline and was not part of today's joint announcement from BP and Conoco.

BP's move seems to bolster Conoco's competing alternative to the pipeline proposal from TransCanada Corp., which is bidding for an exclusive state license and a $500 million subsidy under AGIA, the Alaska Gasline Inducement Act.

BP and Conoco said they will spend $600 million to plan for an "open season," a process where companies with gas to ship bid for space in the new pipeline. Then the companies say they will apply for certification from U.S. and Canadian pipeline regulators and "move forward with project construction."

"The Alaska gas pipeline will be a historic project, and we are pleased to be working with Conoco Phillips to move it forward," said BP chief executive Tony Hayward.

BP and Conoco dubbed their project "Denali."

They say they'll establish a new company and a project headquarters in Anchorage to manage Denali.

BP's action is reminiscent of the scenario that played out earlier this decade, when Conoco was followed by BP and then Exxon in a partnership seeking a "stranded gas" contract under the Murkowski administration.

That effort fizzled.

State lawmakers in Juneau have scheduled an 11:30 a.m. news conference to talk about the BP-Conoco announcement.

This is big big news in the oil and gas industry-this pipeline will be an undertaking similar to the oil pipeline from the North Slope to Valdez-and, in fact, contains a plan to ship natural gas directly from the North Slope to Chicago!

Also big news, because as mentioned above there's a competing venture that it looks like BP and Conoco are trying to snuff out. The BP/Conoco venture is to be funded entirely with private money, unlike the competing TransCanada plan, which will involve heavy state investment.

Me likey.

royalfan5
4/8/2008, 09:23 PM
Will this mean Alaskans a bigger thanks for living here check?

Frozen Sooner
4/8/2008, 09:24 PM
One can only hope.

(Possibly. The Permanent Fund's value isn't all that greatly tied to oil and gas royalties any longer-the fund is extremely diversified, and checks are cut off of the dividends from the fund after inflation-proofing. More royalties to throw into the pot won't hurt, though.)

Viking Kitten
4/9/2008, 12:32 AM
That stoner guy that posts here is gonna be mighty disappointed after clicking on this thread.

"Duuuuude. You said there was gonna be a massive joint. BOGUS!"

AlbqSooner
4/9/2008, 06:49 AM
Also big news because a large portion of the flow from the Alyeska pipeline is loaded onto ocean going tankers (think Exxon Valdez) and shipped to Japan. Doubtful that will be the fate of petro piped to Chicago.

Frozen Sooner
4/9/2008, 10:20 AM
Also big news because a large portion of the flow from the Alyeska pipeline is loaded onto ocean going tankers (think Exxon Valdez) and shipped to Japan. Doubtful that will be the fate of petro piped to Chicago.

Natural Gas, not petroleum.

Chuck Bao
4/9/2008, 11:00 AM
I was just about to complain why there is not more development of natural gas resources in Oklahoma until I saw this map.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/natural_gas/analysis_publications/ngpipeline/images/southwest_pipelines.gif

Who owns all of these pipelines and can independent producers sell into them?

OklahomaTuba
4/9/2008, 11:35 AM
Lots of companies own those pipeleines, and yes, indys can sell into them.

BTW, huge rumors swirling around about a new breakthrough in technology and find in a formation under south dakota called the Bakken formation. USGS may release the info later this year.

Rumor has it that it could contain up to 200 - 300 BILLION barrels of crude.

Saudi Arabia has a little over 200 Billion proven so far. If true, that would be one of the best things to happen in a long, long time.

OklahomaTuba
4/9/2008, 11:36 AM
And if the gubment would make building a refinery less of an issue, that would be even better for energy prices!

Mjcpr
4/9/2008, 11:44 AM
Lots of companies own those pipeleines, and yes, indys can sell into them.

BTW, huge rumors swirling around about a new breakthrough in technology and find in a formation under south dakota called the Bakken formation. USGS may release the info later this year.

Saudi Arabia has a little over 200 Billion proven so far. If true, that would be one of the best things to happen in a long, long time.

I'm not holding my breath on us out-oiling Saudi Arabia but that would be nice!

Isn't the Dakotas where they've found several dinosaur fossils over the years? Maybe there were some whacked out dinos in that region and they pulled a Jonestown or something. After you filter out the fossilized Kool-Aid, shouldn't be anything left but crude. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/9/2008, 11:46 AM

Jebus. Wow.

soonerinabilene
4/9/2008, 12:00 PM
And if the gubment would make building a refinery less of an issue, that would be even better for energy prices!

I know I cant wait for the day that I pay $2.50 a gallon again!!!! Saddest thing about that statement is that is totally true.

OklahomaTuba
4/9/2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not holding my breath on us out-oiling Saudi Arabia but that would be nice!

Isn't the Dakotas where they've found several dinosaur fossils over the years? Maybe there were some whacked out dinos in that region and they pulled a Jonestown or something. After you filter out the fossilized Kool-Aid, shouldn't be anything left but crude. :D

Well, with new technology that's coming out, we may just be able to out-oil the oil ticks.

Wikipedia happened to have some info on Bakken.

New estimates of the amount of hydrocarbons generated by the Bakken were presented by Meissner and Banks (2000) and by Flannery and Kraus (2006). The first of these papers tested a newly developed computer model with existing Bakken data to estimate generated oil of 32 BBbls. The second paper used a more sophisticated computer program with extensive data input supplied by the ND Geological Survey and Oil and Gas Division. Early numbers generated from this information placed the value at 200 BBbls later revised to 300 BBbls when the paper was presented in 2006."[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakken_Formation#cite_note-10)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakken_Formation

Animal Mother
4/9/2008, 02:49 PM
Well, with new technology that's coming out, we may just be able to out-oil the oil ticks.

Wikipedia happened to have some info on Bakken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakken_Formation

Like all the oil that is supposedly under the tundra of Colorado and Utah, trapped in frozen limestone? That was found a while back and they haven’t been successful getting that out yet. And as far as the refineries go, those will mostly be built in developing nations where usage will increase (China), where as here they think it will peak in 2025.
Energy companies are in this for profit and nothing else. I know. I work for one in Texas. However, if you play by the rules there isn’t anything wrong with a good margin.

NormanPride
4/9/2008, 03:04 PM
2006? Why haven't we done anything about it since then?