PDA

View Full Version : Calipari....

cheezyq
4/7/2008, 11:49 PM
Maybe it's just that I'm glad that we have Capel now, but watching this postgame on ESPN, I'm kind of glad we didn't get Calipari. I just get the feeling that Calipari is a schmuck. "It just didn't fall our way. It wasn't in the cards." No mention about how KU made some great plays. They lost in OT because of not having their thug, Dorsey? The Dream Team? Please. I know most of it is just confidence in his team and what not, but he comes across as a tool sometimes. I might feel differently I guess if he was our coach, but still.

The best part of this outcome? All the media "experts" sans Jay Bilas picked Memphis. All game long the spotlight was on CDR, Rose, Dorsey, etc. Not a word of KU's individual players. At one point during the game, they replayed a Memphis dunk 20 times in a row. But KU won as a team. None of this one-on-one "it's all me, baby", "poundin' my chest, cuz I'm da best" BS. Just solid teamwork and heart.

I'm not a KU fan and I don't care for Self as an alum of oSu (he reallly seems to have it in for us lately), but this was a nice game to watch and a pleasing outcome.

Blue
4/7/2008, 11:55 PM
I thought he sounded classy. Just a differing perspective I guess.

Big Red Ron
4/8/2008, 12:24 AM
All love and due respect to The Capel but I would still take Calipari. I like the way his teams play. Heck, we would be in depp you know what if aggy gets Self.

Collier11
4/8/2008, 12:28 AM
what do you expect him to say, he had all the normal pc answers and he even admitted that with 10 seconds left he thought he had a title in hand! I guess some people just need a reason to gripe!

soonerfan28
4/8/2008, 08:44 AM
I guess we will see what Calipari does next year when he has to rebuild that squad. Maybe he can put 400lb Niles in for two players.

Ash
4/8/2008, 09:01 AM
Cal can recruit and coach, there's no doubt about that.

But we don't need players beating their girlfriends or brawling at strip clubs and "making it rain" among the other things on Memphis' rap sheet - and we don't need Cal's behind the scene's "friends" associating with players considering the recent NCAA sanctions, etc.

cheezyq
4/8/2008, 09:08 AM
what do you expect him to say, he had all the normal pc answers and he even admitted that with 10 seconds left he thought he had a title in hand! I guess some people just need a reason to gripe!

I'm not griping, I just didn't care for the postgame conference. He basically said that the reason they lost was because "the stars didn't align" and "God wasn't on their side". That was annoying. As if God cares who wins a basketball game. I would have been more impressed if he just said that they just blew it and KU took advantage and made plays. That's all I meant to point out. That and I think his "dream team" comments were absurd. I actually agreed with Bob Knight when he said, "I'd tell my team that they don't fit MY definition of a dream team. But they will if they win this game."

He's a good coach, and I do like his team's style of play, but he comes off as an arrogant gasbag sometimes. Just my opinion.

badger
4/8/2008, 09:16 AM
Ok, so your team's got a solid 9-point lead, but then things start to unravel all of the sudden... your three-pointer is now a two, KU hits a shocking 3, KU steals and hits another shot. Shot, shot, shot, your star player fouls out on a touchy touch foul and then KU ties it with 2.1 seconds left and Rose tweaks his ankle on a prayer shot at the buzzer.

I think I would sound really, REALLY disappointed if I were him. I think KU fans were probably ready to head for the door when Memphis was up by 9 with less than two to go. I think Memphis' bench was all excited and wondering what finger to wear the ring on and how to wear their hats after the game. All the signs pointed to a Memphis victory... until that 3 went SWISH at 2.1 to go.

soonerfan28
4/8/2008, 09:53 AM
Dorsey should have had a technical for taunting, so he got way with one there.

BillyBall
4/8/2008, 09:58 AM
...should have called a timeout after Rose hit the 2nd free throw and gotten his team to foul.

sooner518
4/8/2008, 10:09 AM
I thought he said all the right things. He said they let it slip away but that Chalmers hit a big shot. I would have been happy to have seen either of those teams win last night.

cheezyq
4/8/2008, 10:33 AM

I kind of disagree. I think the first bump was a total accident. It looked like he was excited about the dunk and turned around to run back to the other end and didn't expect Aldrich to be there. He might have overreacted a little, but I don't think it was intentional. The 2nd bump was kind of questionable, but he was looking clearly looking down the court at his teammates, not staring down the KU player.

The Maestro
4/8/2008, 11:13 AM
Playing the "God's will" card is so lame in sports. God doesn't care who wins at hoops. Quit talking to God during the game and call a freaking timeout and do your job. Don't blame God for not having your team prepared to do the obvious in a critical situation.

I know he is upset and one freaking free throw wins it for him, but bringing God's will into the mix has the stench of Boo Blake's coaching shorts following an August two-a-days.

soonerfan28
4/8/2008, 12:40 PM
Everybody knows when someone is trailing them. He knew Aldrich was behind him and he was trying to get the fans pump, but it was borderline, so they were going to call anything that was close.

soonerfan28
4/8/2008, 12:43 PM
I agree that Calipari is a good recruiter. he has two good PF coming in this year, but he's going to need guard play when he loses Rose, Anderson, and CDR this year to the draft. He'll always be able to compete in C-USA.

picasso
4/8/2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe it's just that I'm glad that we have Capel now, but watching this postgame on ESPN, I'm kind of glad we didn't get Calipari. I just get the feeling that Calipari is a schmuck. "It just didn't fall our way. It wasn't in the cards." No mention about how KU made some great plays. They lost in OT because of not having their thug, Dorsey? The Dream Team? Please. I know most of it is just confidence in his team and what not, but he comes across as a tool sometimes. I might feel differently I guess if he was our coach, but still.

The best part of this outcome? All the media "experts" sans Jay Bilas picked Memphis. All game long the spotlight was on CDR, Rose, Dorsey, etc. Not a word of KU's individual players. At one point during the game, they replayed a Memphis dunk 20 times in a row. But KU won as a team. None of this one-on-one "it's all me, baby", "poundin' my chest, cuz I'm da best" BS. Just solid teamwork and heart.

I'm not a KU fan and I don't care for Self as an alum of oSu (he reallly seems to have it in for us lately), but this was a nice game to watch and a pleasing outcome.

wow, can't say that I saw much hot dogging from this Memphis squad. certainly not as much as our great teams under little Billy Tubs.

picasso
4/8/2008, 12:55 PM

that or the big KU meathead should watch where he's going instead of his feet.

cheezyq
4/8/2008, 02:07 PM
wow, can't say that I saw much hot dogging from this Memphis squad. certainly not as much as our great teams under little Billy Tubs.

I didn't really say that Memphis "hot-dogged", etc. I was actually pointing out the media focus on the greatness of the Memphis individuals, rather than their performance (or lack of) as a team.

For the record, I don't mind some hot-dogging, either. Sports is supposed to be fun. But when it becomes all about the "playa" and less about the team, then it gets annoying. Pargo did that earlier this year against us. His TEAM was playing very well, but when HE made a 3-pointer (coming off a screen), he pounded his chest as if he got that shot off without any help from his teammates. In the end, his ego prevailed and he tried to take over the game by himself, and they ended up losing.

Collier11
4/8/2008, 02:15 PM
For the record, I don't mind some hot-dogging, either. Sports is supposed to be fun. Pargo did that earlier this year against us. His TEAM was playing very well, but when HE made a 3-pointer (coming off a screen), he pounded his chest

contradict much? How is pounding his chest any diff than being emotional and having "fun" in the ways you are talking about?

cheezyq
4/8/2008, 02:36 PM
contradict much? How is pounding his chest any diff than being emotional and having "fun" in the ways you are talking about?

Nice job taking PART of my post out of context and criticizing it. Here's the rest, so that you can hopefully put it all together -

"...as if he got that shot off without any help from his teammates. In the end, his ego prevailed and he tried to take over the game by himself..."

I expect him to be happy he made the shot, but he acted like it was all his own doing. It's especially annoying when he's coming off a screen to get the shot off. And after that he refused the pass the ball. He kept dribble-driving and jacking up shots before passing to his teammates. Maybe that was their offense, but the point is that we played as a team and won that game, regardless of his "individual effort".

Collier11
4/8/2008, 02:51 PM
Im just trying to figure out the point of your thread...first you talk about being glad you have Capel but then Calipari is a shmuck but you give no reasons other than he was a jerk in postgame which he was very humble from everything I have seen, you call their players thugs and cocky but give no reasons, you say you like showboating but then you dont like it? You say Pargo was being egotistical because he took over the game, from what I remember the Zags were dead until he took over because we could gaurd him. IM just confused as to what you are saying here?

cheezyq
4/8/2008, 03:24 PM
Im just trying to figure out the point of your thread...first you talk about being glad you have Capel but then Calipari is a shmuck but you give no reasons other than he was a jerk in postgame which he was very humble from everything I have seen, you call their players thugs and cocky but give no reasons, you say you like showboating but then you dont like it? You say Pargo was being egotistical because he took over the game, from what I remember the Zags were dead until he took over because we could gaurd him. IM just confused as to what you are saying here?

Gotcha.

1. Calipari = schmuck. This is just personal opinion. When he went into the whole "wasn't in the cards, God wasn't on our side" schtick, it was annoying to me. He also stated that the sole reason they lost in overtime was because they lost Dorsey to foul trouble, which was a cop-out. And his pregame comments about how his team was the "dream team" were annoying too. In addition, I know he was trying to motivate his team, but in the same breath that he calls them the dream team he also says that NO ONE picked them to win it all. I can't blame him for trying to motivate his team, but that's not something you can validly say when you're the #1 ranked team in all the country.

2. Memphis players are thugs. Well, really I only classified Dorsey as a thug. But all players that don't play for OU are thugs, right? ;) Personally it comes down to the way that he plays. It seems like he gets away with a lot of fouls as I've watched him play. He had a steal in the first half that should have been a foul because he went through the KU player to get to it. That kind of stuff annoys me.

3. Showboating/Hotdogging - I like to see players having fun. But sometimes they'll do it at the expense of their team, and that annoys me. The Zags weren't dead, but Pargo did help at first. But after he made that big shot, he "took the game over". He would dribble in and jack up shots before he'd ever pass the ball - some he made, some he didn't. Maybe that's what the Zags wanted and needed, who knows? But IMHO, he was just being selfish and it ended up costing them the game, as he missed some key shots at the end.

But the original point was: 1. I didn't like Calipari's postgame, and it made me appreciate Capel more. 2. The media hyped the individual Memphis players too much, and it was nice to see a "team" win without all the individual player hype.

Maybe I could have worded it better originally, but it was fairly late and I DID have a few beers. :)

The Maestro
4/8/2008, 04:24 PM
Based on this quote from kansascity.com today, I guess ol CDR should learn to stay awake more...even during the free throw shooting portion of practice...

Too boring

Memphis’ Chris Douglas-Roberts said he was recruited by Bill Self in 2005.

“I didn’t take a visit there,” he said. “I didn’t really know that much about Kansas. But I liked (Self). He seemed real genuine.”

Douglas-Roberts also was recruited by Oklahoma. But style of play became a big issue.

“The Oklahoma coaches were talking to me (about style of play),” he said, “and I was asleep. I fell asleep.”