PDA

View Full Version : "Boomer Sooner" used in "Leatherheads movie

OUrules
4/7/2008, 01:54 PM
Went and saw the movie "Leatherheads" this week-end. For some reason they use "Boomer Sooner" when the Chicago team is introduced and runs on to the field during the final game of the movie. Anyone have any insight into this? Sure was strange.....

Aries
4/7/2008, 02:29 PM
The tune was originally Yale University's fight song. I haven't seen the movie, so can't even guess what that has to do with a Chicago team.

bstuff1979
4/7/2008, 02:31 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but given the era that the movie takes place in I don't think it's Boomer Sooner. Yale's fight song, "Boola Boola" (and it sounds identical to Boomer Sooner. Like the wishbone that was born in that unfortunate state south of Oklahoma, OU took it from Yale and ever since it's been almost 100% associated with OU) is likely what they were playing.

Frozen Sooner
4/7/2008, 02:40 PM
Nope, apparently it includes the part we stole from North Carolina.

That was my first thought, since John Krazynski's character went to Princeton.

TheUnnamedSooner
4/7/2008, 02:45 PM
was it a ringtone? I've been looking for one... ;)

Monster Zero
4/7/2008, 04:17 PM
No moola, no boola I always say.

PhiDeltBeers
4/7/2008, 08:41 PM
was it a ringtone? I've been looking for one... ;)

Yeah can anyone post a link to the Boola Boola ringtone?? And people ask what a Boomer Sooner is!

Animal Mother
4/9/2008, 01:28 PM
Was that the recess bell???

Seamus
4/9/2008, 02:31 PM
Heh -- just try to imagine the reaction inside Austin-area theaters when that came on ...

illinisooner
4/9/2008, 03:54 PM
We stole parts of our fight song from Yale and North Carolina...the tune we got from from Yale and the "born and bred, and when I die I'll be..." part we took from the Heels.

stoopified
4/9/2008, 08:17 PM
Went and saw the movie "Leatherheads" this week-end. For some reason they use "Boomer Sooner" when the Chicago team is introduced and runs on to the field during the final game of the movie. Anyone have any insight into this? Sure was strange.....Was the movie any good? I've been thinking about going to see it.

DarrellZero
4/9/2008, 08:37 PM
It's so-so.

It would have been much better if it had stuck primarily with football hijinks instead of straying off into a love triangle between Rene Zellweger, George Clooney, and John Krasinski. It wanted to be Bull Durham and couldn't pull it off.

I'd catch it at the discount theater or wait for the DVD.

OUTrumpet
4/9/2008, 11:16 PM
Yep, has both the Boola Boola part and the Tarheel Born/Tarheel Bred part.

Or in other words, Boomer :)

oupride
4/10/2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the post! Sooner!

TopDawg
4/10/2008, 08:05 AM
Here's some Yale folks singin Boola Boola (http://www.cis.yale.edu/athletic/songs/boola.mp3)

Boola, Boola; Boola, Boola; Boola, Boola;
When we "roughhouse" poor old Harvard,
They will holler Boola Boo.
Oh! Yale, Eli Yale! (4X)

Apparently we just stole the lyrics from the Tarheels.

UNC Fight Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DHSqhJcCA)

I guess we made up the "tune" to that last part ourselves.