PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tip-O-The-Day

OU4LIFE
4/7/2008, 12:10 PM
Have trouble feeling distance on putts? Try this next time you are on the putting green.

take your normal setup and grip, but instead of focusing on the ball, focus on the hole and make your stroke while looking at the hole. While doing this, really concentrate on feeling the speed with your right hand(for right handed golfers with a traditional grip). You'll be surprised at how accurate your speed will become after just a few strokes. As an added bonus, looking at the cup also frees up your stroke and let's you get away from being too mechanical.

Then when you get out on the course, you have a really good mental image of what you want to do. Look at the hole, and keep that image in your mind when you make your stroke. Or if you are comfortable enough doing it, look at the hole and make your strokes while playing your regular round.

Played 45 holes this weekend. Best I could do was a 74. and ZERO hole-in-ones.

BudSooner
4/7/2008, 12:14 PM
Here is another tip, take two golf towels, ya never know when you will break down and have to take a **** behind the beer shack or in the trees.

Your welcome.

Mjcpr
4/7/2008, 12:18 PM
Keep your head down.

proud gonzo
4/7/2008, 12:19 PM
Don't forget to go Nananananananananananana.... when you swing.

Hot Rod
4/7/2008, 12:20 PM
4Life, you weren't playing here, were you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp8jgNfxeh0&feature=related

r5TPsooner
4/7/2008, 12:26 PM
Purchase a Scotty Cameron putter to make more putts.

sooner_born_1960
4/7/2008, 12:27 PM
Is it possible to make more than 18 putts?

King Crimson
4/7/2008, 12:31 PM
or buy Golf Digest back issues off ebay circa 1976.

rah rah.

Tip: "hit your drives in the fairway:.

Tip: "practice 10 footers to improve your score".

OU4LIFE
4/7/2008, 12:33 PM
4Life, you weren't playing here, were you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp8jgNfxeh0&feature=related

no way, that's got 80 written all over it.

picasso
4/7/2008, 12:48 PM
hey, was 2 over through 9 and 6 over standing on the #18 tee at the Oaks yesterday. Then umm, all hell broke loose.

still, shows promise.

oh and my tip would be to not expect many putts to fall on greens this time of year.

frankensooner
4/7/2008, 01:01 PM
I put my clubs out on the corner for big trash pick up. I think that will improve my game.

Partial Qualifier
4/7/2008, 01:08 PM
hey, was 2 over through 9

that's pretty solid

great tip 4LIFE, keep 'em coming :)

OU4LIFE
4/7/2008, 03:06 PM
heh, he's always 2 over through 9....

Fraggle145
4/7/2008, 03:10 PM
The beer girl has a boyfriend... Seriously.

sooneron
4/7/2008, 03:26 PM
The beer girl has a boyfriend... Seriously.

:(

http://clevelandclowns.com/data/golfcartgirl.jpg

The Maestro
4/7/2008, 03:35 PM
Swing harder.

It's helped me hit 300+ yard drives and still bogey or worse for years.

damn short game.

DeadSolidPerfect
4/7/2008, 03:47 PM
Have trouble feeling distance on putts? Try this next time you are on the putting green.

take your normal setup and grip, but instead of focusing on the ball, focus on the hole and make your stroke while looking at the hole. While doing this, really concentrate on feeling the speed with your right hand(for right handed golfers with a traditional grip). You'll be surprised at how accurate your speed will become after just a few strokes. As an added bonus, looking at the cup also frees up your stroke and let's you get away from being too mechanical.

Then when you get out on the course, you have a really good mental image of what you want to do. Look at the hole, and keep that image in your mind when you make your stroke. Or if you are comfortable enough doing it, look at the hole and make your strokes while playing your regular round.

Played 45 holes this weekend. Best I could do was a 74. and ZERO hole-in-ones.

I love chipping with a 7-8 iron. Any tips there?

sooneron
4/7/2008, 04:14 PM

Grip down and swing level with your head still.

And don't get "wristy".

SoonerAcesUp
4/7/2008, 04:59 PM
I suck at putting! I do a great job of lagging but never make any that are in makeable range.

JohnnyMack
4/7/2008, 05:15 PM
Sometimes I get drunk and fall out of the golf cart. Can you suggest a golf cart that comes with seat belts?

Mjcpr
4/7/2008, 07:20 PM
I suck at putting! I do a great job of lagging but never make any that are in makeable range.

Sounds like you need to aim better.

YWIA

SoonerAcesUp
4/7/2008, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you need to aim better.

YWIA

You could be on to something there.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/7/2008, 09:30 PM
I suck at putting!

I just suck. I have equal opportunity suckage.

No discrimination here between the tee box or the green.

How can I become the klan of suck and just suck oppressively in one aspect of the game?

BudSooner
4/8/2008, 04:32 AM
2 Towels people, 2 TOWELS!

OU4LIFE
4/8/2008, 08:48 AM

depends on who you ask. There are two basic schools of thought on chipping, one advocates using one wedge for all chips regardless of distance, the other recommends using several different clubs.

I prefer the latter. I'll chip with anything in the bag, 'cept the driver.

If you like chipping with the 7 and 8 iron, try this method and let me know what you think. First grip down on it almost to the steel, take your regular putting grip and basically stand the club up more vertical, more on it's tow.....vertical like your putter. play the ball on the toe of the club, and then swing it like you would if it was a putt of the same distance. the loft will carry the ball onto the green, where it will roll out just like a putt.

I love that technique, mostly because it works, and people look at you like you are crazy when you stand the club up on it's toe like that....

try it and let me know.

OU4LIFE
4/8/2008, 08:57 AM
I just suck. I have equal opportunity suckage.

No discrimination here between the tee box or the green.

How can I become the klan of suck and just suck oppressively in one aspect of the game?

first, ask yourself a couple of questions.

#1. Are you playing to get better, or just playing to have some fun?

#2. How serious are you about the game?

If you are serious enough to get better, then all I can tell you is practice, dude. If you don't have time for practice, then spend a few minutes in your living room or the back yard with your sand wedge. Practice chipping with it. lay down a washcloth, and start at about 5 feet away, practice on hitting it hard enough to land on the washcloth. once you have that feel down, then back up a few feet and start over. Eventually you will get to where you have a good feel for the sand wedge and how hard to swing to get the ball to land a certain distance. This makes chipping on the course much easier, go to the practice green and set up about 2 yards off the green, then hit your ball to a "washcloth" 5 feet away and see how far the ball rolls out. Now you have a solid chip shot that you know carries 5 feet and rolls out...say 5 feet, or 8.

I'll often practice at the course that way, I'll flod my towel in half and practice landing all my chips on the towel, once i get that down I'll move the towel and hit to the same spot, and see how far it rolls out from there with different clubs, now I have a shot that goes several different distances, all I have to do is pick the club I think is right.

Mjcpr
4/8/2008, 09:26 AM
I'll often practice at the course that way, I'll flod my towel in half and practice landing all my chips on the towel, once i get that down I'll move the towel and hit to the same spot, and see how far it rolls out from there with different clubs, now I have a shot that goes several different distances, all I have to do is pick the club I think is right.

I tried to flod my towel at the course once and was politely asked to leave.

sooner_born_1960
4/8/2008, 09:27 AM
They weren't so polite with me.

OU4LIFE
4/8/2008, 10:38 AM
it had nothing to do with your flodding, fyi.

picasso
4/8/2008, 12:25 PM
Sam Snead said learn to chip with a 7 or 8 before you attempt the wedge. I went the other direction and started with the sand wedge.

sooneron
4/8/2008, 12:55 PM
Why would anyone take 4life's advice on putting when I am the champ of his putting game?

:D

OU4LIFE
4/9/2008, 07:01 AM
because 4LIFE plays by the rules and honors the integrity of the game, not like ron, the cheater.

XFollower
4/9/2008, 07:20 AM
I retired my clubs and picked up the nintendo wii controller. I just shot a 2 under for 9 holes and my satisfaction for golf has greatly increased. Also, I never run into those slow folks that won't let you pass.

sooneron
4/9/2008, 10:47 AM
because 4LIFE plays by the rules and honors the integrity of the game, not like ron, the cheater.

cheater?

I kicked *** at that game. I was like 13 under.

Bad

To

The

Bone.

Back to the real world, I went to the range and hit some for the first time this spring. Hit much better than I had expected. Maybe it's 4life's wisdom or something...
I stayed away from the long irons, but couldn't resist hitting a half doz with the driver. I only wish my consistency would hold for the rest of the golf season. I plan to get back out there on Thurs- (sposed to be 70 here) There were deer all over the range- weird.

OU4LIFE
4/9/2008, 11:14 AM
I was 13 under too, but I didn't roll it in the fairway like someone...

sooneron
4/9/2008, 08:27 PM
I was 13 under too, but I didn't roll it in the fairway like someone...

If you're calling me a no good cheating gooner, you've been in aggy country too long.

r5TPsooner
4/9/2008, 08:33 PM
I just got my new irons delivered by UPS today. They have a Project X shaft and are some of the prettiest damn Mizuno's I've evar owned.

BigRedJed
4/10/2008, 01:32 AM
Did you guys hear the thunder last night? You definitely wouldn't have wanted to be out in those conditions.

OU4LIFE
4/10/2008, 01:41 AM
well, not without a good rain suit.